• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The ULTIMATE Samus Guide

n00b

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
peasantstat.us
3DS FC
1693-1292-7210
I'll share tips/tricks that I feel I've either discovered or experimented with on my own.. so i won't share any other samus's tricks without their discretion

Bombs:

Out of bomb crouch canceling (Raigoth cancel/bcc), Samus can buffer a variety of commands
The most useful one is probably dtilt because it comes out unexpectedly fast and being in morph ball form gives her a smaller profile, a delayed projectile to worry about, and good spacing options.

To buffer the dtilt, hold down to bcc and just tap A.. pretty simple, but how the game recognizes inputs it optimizes the bcc "down" command and the "A" command to buffer the dtilt.

Instead of dtilt, you can buffer down-angled fsmashes, instant dash attacks, etc.. that's basic bcc stuff.

For more defensive options, like with MC buffers, you can buffer shield, instant spot dodge and instant roll (if performed correctly, no landing + shield startup frames are visible). To do the instant shield, just hold down near the end frames of the bomb laying animation and hold shield. To buffer the spot dodge, hold shield and tap down twice. The first one initiates the bcc, the second one buffers the spot dodge. This is pretty useful if the opponent expects a dtilt and spaces accordingly.. The last one, instant roll, is a bit more difficult. You need to hold shield, tap down, then make a quarter circle forward/back motion (QCF/QCB) similar to arcade fighter input. By rotating the stick a quarter circle, you buffer in the down for the bcc and the forward/back for the roll in a smooth motion. I don't think its necessary to perform the quarter circle if you can press down and left/right really fast, but it helps.

Against a shielding opponent, bombing past them into a bcc fsmash eats their shield, pushes them into the bomb, which eats their shield a little more. Sometimes, opponents tend to drop the shield after the initial fsmash/dtilt and forget about the bomb, which helps to setup another fsmash/dtilt. YMMV, but I think it's decent shield pressure.

Samus can cancel her ledge jump animation with a bomb at the very instant she leaves the ledge. This makes her return to the stage very very low to the ground, with a delayed projectile, and the ability to bcc into anything, really. She can vary the height at which her jump is canceled by timing the down b, and she can DI back to the ledge, off the ledge or into the stage. I think this is better than simply ledgedrop dj down b because ledgejumping counts as a "ledge animation" and I believe you're granted a few invinicibility frames for it.

That's probably all for now.. I just wanted to "publish" my bomb stuff.
from like, the second post in this thread.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
As i spam through out the other character boards i notice grab releases are being found out like every week with almost all the characters.........

SO!

Lets sall gather round Xyro's camp fire and talk about some grab release stuff. I for one dont use grab release only cause all i have is wifi around here and lvl 9 cpus. So this little fire side chat will help me out.

so plz......grab release shiz needs to be talked about.

anybody?

Hive

Smash Lord
Samus grab release is pretty meh imo ; ; I tried experimenting with it for a while to lead into a
dash->screw attack though... but its not very effective :p

(about time you showed up btw <.<)

Xyro77

Samus grab release is pretty meh imo ; ; I tried experimenting with it for a while to lead into a
dash->screw attack though... but its not very effective :p

(about time you showed up btw <.<)
yea but theres gotta be some thing on some characters that always works. YARGH. im seriously considering another character.

oh and heres the reason why i got banned! When an AMAZING person, such as myself, makes AWESOME threads that have NOTHING to do with samus, which i did, that person tends to be banned........its a sick world we live in, hive. REMEMBER THAT!!!!!!!!!

Hive

Smash Lord
omg... that's kinda lame... considering how like other character specifics have liek 20,000 lame threads... you'd think they'd lay off banning like half of ours :p

n00b

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
peasantstat.us
3DS FC
1693-1292-7210
Grab release -> SD is easy. Grab them, air release, while they're too busy mashing on their controller surreptitiously unplug it from the Wii and watch them fall to their doom. When they look down at their controller, plug it back in, and warn them not to button mash anymore.

Hive

Smash Lord
Grab release -> SD is easy. Grab them, air release, while they're too busy mashing on their controller surreptitiously unplug it from the Wii and watch them fall to their doom. When they look down at their controller, plug it back in, and warn them not to button mash anymore.
lol, this is GENIUS ^^
I'm surprised N00b found it first, sounds like something I would do! lol ;)

Deception

Smash Ace
Grab air release to zair might work, and it would put you in a good position.

And welcome back, Xyro. Hopefully now we can actually work on getting Samus out of low tier without spam.

Hive

Smash Lord
why without spam? that's just ridiculous @.@ who honestly would NOT want to use missiles and lazer whips, seriously. If I had a missile launching arm, do you think I'd go around kicking people? not a chance. >.>

Rohins

Smash Lord
NNID
Rohins
I tend to spend a lot of time standing still and walking. Walking away from someone is pretty fun in the game.

XKarasuX

Smash Rookie
I tend to spend a lot of time standing still and walking. Walking away from someone is pretty fun in the game.
This is true =)

S= Samus

X=opppnent

. = distance

>/<= attack= tip is direction

Before

....X.S......

After

...X>.S

....X<S he just got charged shot lolz

btw works if ur aware of what ur opponent can do ( No duh)
Ex

W = wolf

F= fsmash

S= Samus

.= space
Before

....W....S...

After

......W<fS

lolz KO!!!!

Also its a mind game in its self

Deception

Smash Ace
why without spam? that's just ridiculous @.@ who honestly would NOT want to use missiles and lazer whips, seriously. If I had a missile launching arm, do you think I'd go around kicking people? not a chance. >.>
Different kind of spam. The kind that clogs up forums. Missile and laser spam is great.

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
Samus can air-release Wario to utilt. Ness can be jabbed to pivot grab because dumb Ness users think shielding after being jabbed is smart. Das it.

KingChaos

Smash Journeyman
I admit i haven't read everyones post but i think i learned a lot of stuff to experiment with.If no one has said anything about homing missle gimps i find it useful on some chars like wolf what you do is hit them off the stage grab on the ledge as they drop down to recover you drop from the ledge and homing missle if timed right it will hit him and he will fall to low to recover or you up b to edge hog him.Im serious this is a sexi way to kill wolfs especially since they don't die any other way ugh.

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
Your friend must've been at like 200%... I can't even jab people out of grab releases. Only lucky dtilts.

King Chaos, homing missiles are WAY too slow to edgeguard with. In every situation a missile would work, a bair would be better. If you get hit out of your bair, then it is very likely their recovery would outprioritize your missile. Wolf's recovery sucks bad enough. That's like saying if you hit Link offstage, he'll be gimped.

A silly way to edgeguard fox. Stand near the edge and spam grounded uncharged shots. This will discourage him from using the illusion. Utilt if he goes above the stage and edgehog if he goes below. Very unlikely to work, but it made me lol when I scored a KO against my friend.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Your friend must've been at like 200%... I can't even jab people out of grab releases. Only lucky dtilts.
He had like 160% (close to the egde).
And he wasn't suspecting it cause I normaly don't grabrelease with Samus.

Orichalcum

Smash Journeyman
Sometimes i pummel then until they release and fire an ALMOST charged up charge shot. They wouldnt expect it most of the time and dash into it. works 50/50
I also find GR near edge better for spiking than normal throws. especially against SNAKE

Xyro77

dang, i didnt think undr would take my long *** post serious.....

but anyays, im back!!!

and im about to make things get interesting AGAIN

Xyro77

it was way back like a week ago. the pit thing. i was sounding off makin up stuff and you responded to it. its no big deal. ive been banned for a while so i guess.........you cats moved on

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Yeah I was going to make a quip asking "Where have you been!?" but figured a ban wasn't something to joke about. Then again, two consecutive bans is rather funny.

But really, why mislead the Samus forums with that Pit post? lol Trolls have got to be subtle Xyro. ^_^

Xyro77

Yeah I was going to make a quip asking "Where have you been!?" but figured a ban wasn't something to joke about. Then again, two consecutive bans is rather funny.

But really, why mislead the Samus forums with that Pit post? lol Trolls have got to be subtle Xyro. ^_^
Im no troll. im in a new class......called......XYRO.

and im just here to have fun.

but honestly, you wanted to discuss pit vs samus so i thought that if i put up some garbage maybe people will jump on this topic and shoot it down and come up with some GOOD ideas on the match-up......i guess it didnt work so well.

xXTACXx

Smash Journeyman
You can upB and uair through G&W's dair if you are slightly behind him (hitting him, not his key).

i remember when i had GaW trouble i had to remember a rhyme, Up B breaks the Key, cuz it works very well.

Xyro77

ok guys, i moved my 2 cents from the first post to here because im re-doing the opening post.

Please work on grab releases. This can really increase samus overall **** factor.

BUT ANYWAYS, heres the same post as the opening post. If you have already read it, ignore this one.
Not all of these will work 100% of the time. Some of this will not work if the super DI. This list is here to give you some combos if you are given the right situation.

Z-air > Dash (low %)
Z-air > Dash grab (mid %)
Z-air > Charge shot (high %)
N-air > Jab x2/Dash > wait for DI or air evade > Up-B
U-tilt > U-smash/U-air (high %)
D-air > U-smash/U-air (high %)
U-air (dont do last hit) > U-smash/Up-B
U-air (dont do last hit) > Up-B
U-air (dont do last hit) > Jab > Up-B
Charge shot > Grab or Dash (low to mid %)
D-air > Up-B or D-smash

Tipsies/Tricksies

1. Snakes UP B can be broken with an attack that does more than 7.2% damage. Samus Bair/Dair/Charge shot/F-smash/D-smash all break it.

2. If snake is grabed out of his UP-B and then released, He can not UP-B untill he touches the ground. This is highly situational but it is good to know.

3. If any character is over 85% and is in the "bubble-of danger" a tipped Z-air will kill them even with super DI.

4. On the mountain of PKMN 1, Samus can U-air from the top of the mountian to the bottom and Up-B back to the top. This does little damage but cause your foe to retreat so that you can kill him or save up a charge shot. This same thing can be done on Corneria's fin.

5. Grab Super armor: Right as Samus arm is horizontal, she starts her super armor and will grab the foe even though she is hit.. This is VERY help full if you can time this right

Hive

Smash Lord
lol i love doing #3 to ppl ^^
grabbing snake out of his up b is really fun too ^^ usually if he's in that range though you're going for the spike though... so its pretty situational though :p like you said...

Xyro77

ive updated the front page. I will updated it with combo videos ONLY from here on out. Information about sams will stay in the thread.

Xyro's Samus: The Green Lesbian: Returns

its coming.........

Hive

Smash Lord
let's see... there are a lot of things to do with samus lol ^^ listing them all might be tedious but here's some->
Some common stuff
1. dash attack to screw attack. :D ♥♥♥
2. sh homing missile to sh airdodge zair - they compliment each other zair prevents the missiles from being swatted
3.uair>ff fair>up b is really fun
4. sh airdodge zair>sh zair (immediately)>full jump double zair.... i don't know why this is so effective but it is ^^ the first hits the character up just a bit and puts them in range of the second (a bit higher zair) which puts them up for the double zair ^^
the sh zair (immediately) is a very good follow up to a regular zair ^^
5. don't be afraid to use grabs/pivot grabs- your spams set up the opponents shield a lot...
6. samus' ledge game rocks ^^ especially learn to use shfair>dtilt
shuair>screwattack, zairing from the ledge and missiling off and onto the ledge to create space....
stall on the ledge with tether drops and drop to up B ; ; (stupid charzy flamethrower)
7. powershield>dtilt ftw my fave ko move ^^ lol
8. save your jump when recovering by bomb jumping... it sets up the spike for someone who tries to go out to intercept....^^ i don't know why a lot of ppl don't :p
9. utilt on ledge to ko ^^

some tricksies/weird stuff:
1. fast falling zairs on luigi's mansions pillars (generates full zair hitbox even if it would cancel out to be shorter) and on other pillar like stuff ; ;.
2. jumping under pokemon stadium one's edge and zairing produces a really weird/cute hitbox on the surface ^^ (a little bubble on the ground that just comes out of nowhere ^^)
3. fully charged low charge shot- hits them off the ledge- surprise attacky ^^ though fairly situational :p
and semi-hard to time :p
4. its possible to missile cancel super missiles on battlefield platforms... i have to run off the edge of the platform to do it though.. not sure if its possible to do by dropping... lol I actually don't use it that much :) probably known already too... ; ;

Xyro77

Heres something you may not know about zair:

it can go thru the tree ok PKMN 1 and can go thru the dirt pile on PKMN 2.
It can go ALL THE WAY THROUGH the blue house on Onett.

Top Bottom