• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The ULTIMATE Samus Guide

Throwback

Smash Lord
Don't know if this is known, Mario's cape doesn't reflect at about head height so if you aim a CS or super missile high enough it will go thru the cape.

Tudor

Smash Journeyman
.... yah it can! lol

ok well it can hit on the other side of a lot of things if you fast fall it and time it is what i meant

Jasona

Smash Ace
noticed that my combo vid isn't on your first post list.
DI back the fair and zair and samus slides upon landing. great for spacing. i think it works best if you're FFing, not sure though
homing to grab is the only way i can grab consistently now. think its because homings precede many different types of attacks, so its not obvious when i'm going for the grab. plus, the homing is so slow, at a distance, that samus doesn't need to grab immediately after firing, unlike the zair. i've been grabing so reliably that i had to look up which of her throws does the most damage and i'm starting to focus on how many times i can punch, after a grab, at different %. its that good

Rohins

Smash Lord
NNID
Rohins
Some random crap

- you can lock someone in the water on delfino with homing missiles

- you can lock someone in the water on delfino with dairs (juju style)

- jab cancels infinite against a wall after a certain % (depends on character)

- nair is a nice way to "setup" kills if someone is on a platform. At lower %s it will make someone slide off the edge rather than knock them off. If they are in shield, they will tumble. NOT GUARANTEED but it's still kinda cool.

- fully charged blast is a bad kill move. Use it either for gimping off level or for settings up combos if you are close up.

- an easy way to "pivot" (not really a pivot) a charge blast is to tap(not hold) a direction, tap back late in the midst of the dash and press B. You will BUFFER a reverse charge blast.

I'll think of more later.

Hive

Smash Lord
for grab release... they only one i've really been able to get to really work is her grab release to fsmash in rare situations :(

ps its fun to use charge shot to take out lucas' electric ball on recoveries too ^^

VirisKnite

Smash Journeyman
@Hive- sometimes I've noticed the hms work too to gimp his pk thunder.

@Orly- ah I thought I got it, but now I think I didn't really get it. :(

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
so with the wario grab release it has to fling him into the air what do i need to do, not hit him at all or what?
what i recommend is sit down with some friends who are willing to do this with you. pick samus and go thru every character and see what u can do out of a grab release(ai and ground releases). i think that this may hold a big advantage for us if u can learn some things.

Xyro77

lol xyro thats a great idea but you still didnt explain the aerial release and how it happens?
if i remember right, as u hold the foe and hit them, if they break out they will go in the air.

or

if you are holding them but not hitting them and they break out they may go in the air.

one of those 2 makes the foe go in the air and the other makes the break out but stay on the ground. if we can find away to take advantage of the air release or the regular ground release.....i swear to you that things will start to get alot better for samus.

best example i know of is wario. if wario air releases.....characters like DDD and marth can hit wario with an up-smash. in fact. get on my youtube and watch my most recent vid of ROYR vs DMG.....you will see what we need to work on.

hell, ill just post it right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xay-xdknOa0

at 1:25 at 4:32 at 6:03 at 6:10 at 6:28 at 6:57(the best one)

but yea i KNOW samus has some neat tricks having to do with grab release....we just need o find them out.

n00b

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
peasantstat.us
3DS FC
1693-1292-7210
You can get a free utilt off wario from an air release IIRC for the KO.

My favorite options from grab release are: ftilt, dtilt, charge shot. Most characters land too far from Samus to dtilt, so from there depending on their percent I go with the ftilt or trick them into a charge shot. You just have to play around with the opponent to see their usual reaction to buttonmashing out of a pummel.

J4pu

Smash Champion
If you are grabbing them and their feet are off the ground (and you are not pummeling when they release) they will release to the air. Or if they are a computer they always release to the air if you are not pummeling them.

Falco has Air Release to boost smash on MK, too bad Falco is somewhat short.

Smash_Gigas

Smash Lord
Samus can UpB straight out of charging a beam. Just do it the same way you would UpB OoS, but much faster. You shouldn't even see the shield come up, even at 1/4 speed in Training Mode. Makes for an excellent surprise counter attack against foes above you.

UpB OoCS.

Different opportunities to charge your Ownage Beams without fear.

MRS1

Smash Journeyman
Anybody know what happened to the old " short hop fast fall zair " thread? I was looking and couldn't find it, if there ever was one. I can do a shff zair pretty consitently noiw, but it dosnt come out far at all, and I cant seem to make it useful in combat. The opponent is usually so close to me another move would work better. If anyone knows where the thread went, or better yet, videos, it would be appreciated.

Julz

Smash Apprentice
Samus can UpB straight out of charging a beam. Just do it the same way you would UpB OoS, but much faster. You shouldn't even see the shield come up, even at 1/4 speed in Training Mode. Makes for an excellent surprise counter attack against foes above you.

UpB OoCS.

Different opportunities to charge your Ownage Beams without fear.

You know what I find really weird? If you press jump and then shield whilst charging your beam you'll perform a rising air dodge. It's the first case I've seen charge beam being canceled by anything other than shield or the control stick (stupid roll). Which means you should be able to zair opponents making aerial approaches whilst charging. If they make a ground approach then you can just release the beam and hit them with a partially charged shot.

Smash_Gigas

Smash Lord
Someone who can SHFF Zair oughta try this out to see if it can work. ^ SHFFZairOoCS (catchy name...) sounds like it could be incredibly annoying to the badguys. Unfortunately, I can't FFZair the full length to test for myself. =/

EDIT: I can't seem to aerial dodge instantly out if it with only one press. I have to press the shield button twice for it to happen. I'll try to fiddle a little more with it.

On another note, you can DJFFZair. Works for me since I have trouble with SHFFZair.

EDIT2: OK I figured it out. Neat stuff, Julz.

Also, vB OoCS. There's two different ways to go about this (GCN controller).
(My personally preferred) Shield + Up (Tap Jump) --> DownB
Shield + Y / X --> Down B (Bit trickier but can execute more quickly)

Once again, it should be almost instantaneous out of charging a shot. If you can do it with Morph Ball Bombs, I'm guessing you could also do the same with Missiles and the Beam its self. I'll try it another time.

n00b

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
peasantstat.us
3DS FC
1693-1292-7210
Why are you guys saying out of charge shot? I was under the impression the ONLY way to cancel a charge shot is either shooting it or shielding. If you up b out of charge shot aren't you just canceling your charge shot with shield then doing an up B out of shield? It isn't technically out of charge shot if you do that..

I can achieve an "out of charge shot" by tapping up, b and shield almost simultaneously during charge frames..

Can someone elaborate??

Smash_Gigas

Smash Lord
It is technically shield cancelling the charge. Though I use the term "out of charge shot" because there isn't even a shield there, just instant action of the inputted command. It's the minimal lag between charging a shot and performing another desired action.

Using UpB, in example. UpB OoS is having the shield up and defending one's self, then instantly performing UpB out of it. There's not really a need to bring up the shield if you're not going to defend yourself with it. UpB OoCS is the process of instantly performing UpB out of charging a shot, without bringing up a shield, so to speak, mainly used for offensive game instead of protecting yourself. I hope this makes sense. =/

Julz' method is a little strange though. It's an instant aerial-dodge, so whether the first button press of Y is cancelling it or not, I don't know. It's not necessairly shielding to my knowledge--correct me if I'm wrong. Because without that first press of Y, Samus will just shield.

Xyro77

you press the shield button to cancel CS.....wether the shield comes out or not its a OOS UP+B.

i thought using this was common......

Smash_Gigas

Smash Lord
You use just UpB OoS all the time? Or did you mean to include Zair spam / bombing / aerial shot / ect. straight from cancelling charging a shot? I was only using the UpB as one example of many, just to make sure things aren't confused.

VirisKnite

Smash Journeyman
Umm... not sure if the topic is still grab release, but I've been thinking about something about Samus's grab.

Someone has already pointed out that Samus' arm cannon can grab people in the air. So I guess it would be safe to assume that her arm cannon and grapple beam have some different properties while grabbing. I've also noticed that sometimes opponents get grabbed at, what seem to me as, awkward times and places. So the only thing I can think of is that it could be possible that her arm cannon has an active grab box (is that the right term?) possibly at least until the grapple beam reaches max length.

Has anyone else noticed this, or done any research to confirm?

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Keep this thread Samus related please :). I've seen it trail off a few times. Currently it is good however.

Just a fair warning :).

Sago

Smash Lord
so ive been trying to grab release into the air its like not possible unless you grab then off an edge or something dumb, except ive seen marth do it EVERY time so i dont know its weird

n00b

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
peasantstat.us
3DS FC
1693-1292-7210
^ it has to do with the height of the characters.. I think Samus can airrelease people like Olimar.

Rohins

Smash Lord
NNID
Rohins
so have we struck a dead end? its offical....samus is trash
I think we just need more people who actually use her in tournament. Either that or Azen.

Addendum:
I think at this point it's really matchup experience, counterpicks, and working on the most efficient zoning techniques. Outside of that the only real thing that would step up her game would be if someone found a reliable kill setup.

On a side note...does anyone know if angling Samus' fsmash makes the hitbox more reliable or does it suck no matter what? (ie, go through people without registering a hit)

n00b

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
peasantstat.us
3DS FC
1693-1292-7210
One time I fsmashed a falco from behind and it went through him, then he fsmashed away from me in the opopsite direction and still killed me.

Samus's fsmash for epicly punishable feint mindgames

Top Bottom