• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The ULTIMATE Samus Guide

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
I think we just need more people who actually use her in tournament. Either that or Azen.

Addendum:
I think at this point it's really matchup experience, counterpicks, and working on the most efficient zoning techniques. Outside of that the only real thing that would step up her game would be if someone found a reliable kill setup.

On a side note...does anyone know if angling Samus' fsmash makes the hitbox more reliable or does it suck no matter what? (ie, go through people without registering a hit)

i cant be the only one using samus 100% of the time in tournament....com on guys. get out there and use her...who cares if u get 9 instead of 3rd. REPRESENT HER AND LEARN SOME ****

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
I used to use Samus in melee, i started using her in Brawl when it first came out, although i immediately saw the nerf and decided not to main her in Brawl. She is still incredibly fun to use, and i have come to the realization that i just cant let that ***** go. So she is no my sure fired secondary, and i will begin using her in tourneys and anywhere else i can get a chance to use her.

Sago

Smash Lord
i play here 99% some stupid wifi tournys ill go marth against olimar other then that real life tournys are 100% samus :D i usualy place around 5-13 in 30-60 person tournaments and ive placed 3rd in teams recently

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
^ Samus in teams is uber good.

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
One time I fsmashed a falco from behind and it went through him, then he fsmashed away from me in the opopsite direction and still killed me.

Samus's fsmash for epicly punishable feint mindgames
OMFG! ME TOO!!

Angling the fsmash sacrifices some range, not that it has any to begin with, but it DOES move the hitbox. I can hit a crouching Kirby by angling it down. BUT, by then, I'm pribably already in Kirby's utilt range. Yeah, that dumb kick that attacks behind kirby, but probably still has more range in front of him than Samus' fsmash.

WHEN MAKING AERIAL APPROACHES FROM A 90 DEGREE ANGLE ABOVE YOUR FOE, DON'T USE AN AERIAL. USE A BOMB INSTEAD. It forces rolls. It works on people who don't have lightning fast rolls. It helps you with soooo many setups. However, not a kill setup. You might be able to bomb, land, dash, shield cancel, fsmash/dtilt. It's pretty freaking slow so it'll probably only work on....

.... another Samus.

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
OMFG! ME TOO!!

WHEN MAKING AERIAL APPROACHES FROM A 90 DEGREE ANGLE ABOVE YOUR FOE, DON'T USE AN AERIAL. USE A BOMB INSTEAD. It forces rolls. It works on people who don't have lightning fast rolls. It helps you with soooo many setups. However, not a kill setup. You might be able to bomb, land, dash, shield cancel, fsmash/dtilt. It's pretty freaking slow so it'll probably only work on....

.... another Samus.
I LOL'd SO HARD!

Xyro77

i just Uair on them then UP+B.....its nearly impossible for people to grab.

Throwback

Smash Lord
I saw a vid a day or two ago showing that the 2nd last hit of fair combos into at least fsmash and dtilt, as long as it is buffered. I'll see if I can find the link.

edit: found it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Chp1cQYCoVE&feature=related

The landing is timed so that the 2nd last hit is the last one out. It has no growth (I think) and very little knockback, but a decent amount of hitstun.

0RLY

@ video - Added: July 15, 2008

Also, the combo into fsmash doesn't count as consecutive hits.

@ Xyro - Uair>B-up only prevents the shield grab if you land behind them.

I'm pretty sure Samus can SH bair (hit shield)>footstool jump. If the bair is dodged, retreat ASAP. A second bair doesn't come out fast enough to avoid a shield grab. You can also Bair>bomb. If you do get grabbed, the bomb will save you. Bair is used because it has the shortest duration of all of Samus' aerials.

MRS1

Smash Journeyman
i cant be the only one using samus 100% of the time in tournament....com on guys. get out there and use her...who cares if u get 9 instead of 3rd. REPRESENT HER AND LEARN SOME ****
I use Samus 100% no matter what I do. Havn't been going to many tourneys lately but I will rise again. I've just been practicing on wifi to learn match ups better since all I know is the Ganon one. Let me try to insert some semi useful knowledge: I love to fair to d tilt and smash, as well as Uair to U tilit. They both can come out real nice and fast if we do them at the right time. Oh well, everyone already knows that.

Vonzar the Soulrender

4th Dimensional Horror
I always rep Samus(and Link) at my quite small, local tournaments. Without reliable transport however I cannot rep her at big tourneys.

MRS1

Smash Journeyman

0RLY

As long as they successfully shield the uair, you can get grabbed. Grab armor can get through the Screw Attack. If the uair hits, sure, but then it wouldn't be a shield grab. If Samus could use her uair upside-down, so it's like Fox's dair... then you could Screw Attack before landing to avoid being grabbed.

Throwback

Smash Lord
Just fooling around yesterday against the cpu, seemed to have grab release -> Ftilt on Snake. Can anyone confirm/deny?

I think he might be able to shield, not sure.

Xyro77

Ok so many of you already know about the INFINITE jump bowser can do right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGSETfz1-0

Well this can be done with MANY MANY characters.....including samus.

Some times after i do a second jump, right as im about to land i will zair, then press jump right after that and ill shoot back up in my 2nd jump form. This is the infinite and no i cant do it on command but im throwing this out there because this COULD be the BEST and fastest way to zair while retreating or aproaching. Of course you could use other moves instead of zair. I ask all of you(rohins too) to experiment with this. As with grab releases, i think this infinite jump thing can really advance samus's game.

Heres some threads on the infinite jump.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=173119

and

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=173566

oh and one last thing. i added some more vids to the first page. Good stuff is appearing in this thread. each page has some pretty good info.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I'm off to a tournament in Tallahassee; the tournament is tomorrow, but I'm staying the night in the meantime. Perhaps I can get some Samus videos up from there. While my Wario and PT are obviously better, I've been attempting to give my Samus some work, too. We'll see how it goes.

Rohins

Smash Lord
NNID
Rohins
Ok so many of you already know about the INFINITE jump bowser can do right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGSETfz1-0

Well this can be done with MANY MANY characters.....including samus.

Some times after i do a second jump, right as im about to land i will zair, then press jump right after that and ill shoot back up in my 2nd jump form. This is the infinite and no i cant do it on command but im throwing this out there because this COULD be the BEST and fastest way to zair while retreating or aproaching. Of course you could use other moves instead of zair. I ask all of you(rohins too) to experiment with this. As with grab releases, i think this infinite jump thing can really advance samus's game.

Heres some threads on the infinite jump.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=173119

and

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=173566

oh and one last thing. i added some more vids to the first page. Good stuff is appearing in this thread. each page has some pretty good info.
If you connect the zair while landing and hit jump while the zair hits you will get the infinite jump. I'll experiment with how to do it w/o hitting someone.

Rohins

Smash Lord
NNID
Rohins
Does it work if it hits a shield?
Yes. Also in addition I've only been able to consistently get the infinite jump when I fast fall. If I don't fast fall it hasn't worked out so well for me. Perhaps you need to initiate this move closer to the ground for it to work?

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I just haven't been able to do the infinite jump. Every time I land, I do my second jump, but it doesn't matter with the second jump. If I have used both of my jumps, then I know I didn't infinite, because a cloud of dust comes out from under my feet.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Eh, Samus is easily mid-tier. Probably mid mid-tier.

And I also find it funny that my vids made it but Jasona's didn't.

0RLY

You know... there's like whole threads that describe why ISJR is useless... right? I would include links... but I'm sleepy right now. /johns

Xyro77

Eh, Samus is easily mid-tier. Probably mid mid-tier.

And I also find it funny that my vids made it but Jasona's didn't.

i only put up full combo vids. not PREVIEWS. plus, your combo vids were the VERY BASICS of samus combos....those vids are very good for beginners, we needed those vids up there. thanks.

if that jason guy make a FULL REAL combo vid.....BOOM!!!!!! ill put it up.

ORLY, the whole purpose of brining all of these ideas to the table is to to get people learning new things with samus........

Ravin

Smash Lord
ISJR, As it is called. There is a thread about it somewhere. Is rather useless for Samus. Its more or less better for heavier set characters, Bowser, DK, Ike, Ect, Benefit from this better, Samus's air moves auto cancel, relying on this akes your predictable seeing as you can only use it at a certain point to kill your landing so you can simply hop a tad more to ISJR.

Now, what I want to find out is when you SH into homing missile, if you time it just right and keep mashing B, youll get one homing missile, and then there is no delay for the second one, so it comes out rather almost instantly. How many other people have done this? Im not talking about missile canceling, im talking about near perfect frame MC to missile. Both homing.

Xyro77

Now, what I want to find out is when you SH into homing missile, if you time it just right and keep mashing B, youll get one homing missile, and then there is no delay for the second one, so it comes out rather almost instantly. How many other people have done this? Im not talking about missile canceling, im talking about near perfect frame MC to missile. Both homing.

exactly what i was talking about. and i posted the threads a few posts back.

Ravin

Smash Lord
Ill make a list of stuff I use...

Ill start with Dash attack...

Dash attack can boost an enemy up, or even stun them for a moment, dashing past them when they downdodge or shield, you can dash late, SH and Dair, or whatever tickles you right. This can also be used as a double Dair. I like to call it dribbling.

Bombs knock MK's out of whorenados. I recommend getting use to them when D3 attempts to CG you, as in, your about to land, hes rushing up on you, drop a bomb and let him grab you, it will blow you free. Its a great way to get away from it. (Its what i do in touniments, Ill need to get a D3 video up to show you what I mean. I may even make a Samus % video to show different movesets even with DI that the opponent cant get out of.)

Ledge drop SH Fair into Utilt, or Even grabs.

Ledge Cancel Zair threw the stage.

Ledge drop SH into glitched Charge shot. (My video below at 4:25 - 4:35 shows it. ) Out of all your videos, I dont see any of you usings Samus's Amazing ledge game to your advantage. And even as a mindgame. ( i cant even count how many times i have made people SD or setup for a spike because of this. )

To help shift my momentum in the air while flying back, i drop a mine, it helps me shift left or right in mid air quicker, it also helps keep you in the air longer, but not like the old melee bomb jumping.

I MC a lot, and Space Zair,
MC into Dtilt.
MC into Utilt.
MC into Ftilt.

Uncharged shot or Missile to grab. (Even if they downdodge or shield, they will get grabbed. )

Zair into Anything?

Zair into charged shot.

Zair into grab.

You can tether grab MK when he does a Neutral B or Side B. (Helps prevent his camping.)

You can also drop a retreating bomb back when MK tries to Side B. Also good if your in the air and he does it to try to catch you with a Neutral B coming down, Drop a Bomb, or Dair him.
You can offstage grab a snake and let him fall off.

Heavy set characters can be CG'ed one or twice with Samus's Fthrow if caught right and poor DI is applied.

Fair into AA

Fair into Dtilt.

SH Fair into Ftilt into SH Zair into Charged shot. (Low percent., Less knockedback for the combo to work.)

Uair into Up B

Up B out of shield.

Up B out of shield when blocking a sword dance.

Dash into Bair.

Bair can be WoP'd twice if they are at 20%ish and are Heavy - Medium.
SH Fair into SH Fair into Zair

My favorite.

Dash attack into Uair, Whichever way they DI into homing missile, SH again into Uair, Whichever way they DI into homing missile then Zair.

A few things I try to do..

Or as a friend pointed out in my video. (5:00 point )

Utilt, Utilt, Nair into uncharged shot, dash attack and Bair, or dair, or Nair depending upon your fancy.

Some things to practice?

L!te

Smash Apprentice
if got an nice aproach and if you do it right, never punishable.

SH Missile, then walk to your enemy and then just do a really really good spaced ftilt. its really unpunishable if you make it really spaced cause her legs are so long and sexy xD

Rohins

Smash Lord
NNID
Rohins
I've been finding her really boring lately. Mostly "working on" dash away ground game. Either shield dashing or normal dashing away to ftilt or chargeblast. They're ok for managing space when the enemy is approaching.

L!te that's a good approach but a bunch of characters can still punish ftilt out of shield regardless of how well it's spaced.

L!te

Smash Apprentice
Or use the lite finisher(fsmash)
xD thats a joke xD

Rohins, which Charakters do you mean. The ftilt has a short lag and so you can shield very fast or do something diferent^^ even snake cant punish this (or is it cause we have Pal?^^). i dont get what u mean^^

o i know what you mean, you mean those charakters with a long grab like link, i forgot them ^^

n00b

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
peasantstat.us
3DS FC
1693-1292-7210
If you see your opponent short hopping towards you, you dash in the opposite direction and then cancel your dash with shield. Immediately let go of shield and then buffer the ftilt in the opposite direction of your dash, towards your opponent, who has by now missed with their aerial attack because you dashed away. Once the shield drop animation lag is over, you'll kick them away from you so you can continue to spam whatever boring stuff you spam with Samus.

Xyro77

I've been finding her really boring lately. .
yes me too. shes not that deep and has too HORRIBLE match-ups. im thinking of switching to some one else. however, im going to this cali tourney in like 3 days and im gonna try some stuff. If it works it will renew my faith in samus.

TO ALL: air dodge to buffer UP+B is really good.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
What i enjoy doing as samus is U-tilting at the edge. It is really strong and can kill heavyweights at around 80 if they don't DI perfect. Spikes are my friend. I need to implement bombs more...

L!te

Smash Apprentice
yes me too. shes not that deep and has too HORRIBLE match-ups. im thinking of switching to some one else. however, im going to this cali tourney in like 3 days and im gonna try some stuff. If it works it will renew my faith in samus.
i know, she has very bad matchups, so i just change the charakter for while^^ dont give her up, just make a break from her and after that you will miss her xD

ah and i got a nice grab move. if your enemy is in the air and you know he dont have any rejumps, just shoot an homing missile (before he lands). He can airdodge or do an aerial or something else. the most enemy will airdodge (cause the think the wont be punish) so just make a grab if he lands. if he do an aerial he will often get a little more lag so its little easier. thats really effecitv on heavy charakters like bowser or ganon. On charakters with multijumps you shouldnt do this.

and a mindgame which i sometimes use to finish is this: your enemy is lying on the ground. just stand so far away, that if he rolls to you, you can smack his face xD. now do a sh homing and be prepare that he rolls to you. you never get punish, cause if he stands up, he will (often) get the missile and when not, he cant hit you, cause you are too far away. if you got good reactions and you see he only stands up or do a wake up attack just grab. this is effectiv on normal players xD

im not a pro xD but im (maybe) the best Samus in Germany x) but still not really good with Samus compared to you all^^

Xyro77

Anyone be interested in a video showing the Zair infinite double jump being preformed once?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=668NtoxQ2nM
thanks for that vid.

Ok guys, i added RAVINs combo vid to the front page. chekc it out, you may learn some thing.

also, the front page is about to have a huge overhaul. If you wish to contribute to it, PLZ PM me asap. i got ideas.

Top Bottom