• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - MLG Anaheim 2014 the truth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
I'm sure this is not the first time something like this has happened in gaming >.>

Y'all act like this event has destroyed brawls rep for generations to come.

SSF4 had an incident where a gamer girl was giving blowjobs in the bathrooms at one of the recent EVOs. 15-20 **** were just lining up against the wall, waiting for their turn. Do people still play SSf4? do people still respect SSf4? yes

this is not the end of brawls rep, people/
When did this happen, I should of been there.

Tigger

Smash Apprentice
Why wouldn't he try to win?

If he wins, then he ends up making the money he wanted, if he loses then he still gets $300, but that's no reason to not try to make more.

Cloud9157

Smash Journeyman
In general, this doesn't hurt Brawl.

But in regards to MLG, this is probably the final nail in the coffin to Brawl being on the circuit. Dallas had better cap+a miracle needs to happen in order for Brawl to survive with MLG.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
By the rules of MLG, he did something wrong by conspiring to change the outcome of the results. Then he attempted to cover it up, and manufacture another story to attempt to gain reentry. Once it was clear that he wasn't going to get back into MLG, he came clean to salvage his reputation. I find it hard to give any 'rep' for him coming out like this, since he already tried to make false stories about what happened.

Let this be a lesson. Don't tell people what you do with your money, ever.
case closed

Black Mantis

Smash Hero
Honestly, the contract that the players are agreeing to when entering MLG is really stupid. I'm not arguing that m2k and ADHD did not break any rules, but rather that the rules they broke are extremely stupid and unprofessional. Is it really in the contract to 'play to the best of your ability and not intentionally forfeit a match?' That is soooooo dumb. You can't just force someone to play to the best of their ability. What if someone in the top 8 just doesn't feel like playing anymore? They get to their match and are worn out so they give up, or obviously sandbag to lose. Do they not get their prize money anymore? What if they actually have a legit reason for not wanting to play? What if they got a call that their mom died? Of course that's an extreme example, but someone in that situation would still be 'intentionally' forfeiting a match. Of course the obvious answer people will give is that there is some kind of line where it's ok to drop out of a tournament. But the problem with saying that is it's impossible to say where the line is drawn. Sure, maybe dropping out of a tournament because your mom died is an obviously legit reason to not play. But what about more in between cases. What if you're sick? Tired? Who's to say that m2k's reasons for not wanting to play aren't legit?

I agree with just about everyone that it's gay as hell when players in a large national tournament decide to split or just don't play their best. I can even see why some people would lose respect for players who split or forfeit. It makes the tournament way less hype, and for MLG it draws a lot of the attention and sponsoring away. But the fact of the matter remains that the player is still the one holding the controller. If he decides to lose, that's his own decision. Any decision made by MLG after that to 'punish' him for his performance in a tournament just seems plain arbitrary and unprofessional.

The next thing many of you will say is that this is different because money is on the line. Even though ADHD never gave m2k any money in this situation (and this lack of money does make this situation different), let's just assume that he did. So ADHD gives m2k $300. So what? Can ADHD not choose to use his money how he pleases? Is it illegal for ADHD to give someone some money? ADHD beat m2k. Even if m2k forfeited or sandbagged, ADHD still won the match. ADHD should be able to do whatever he wants with his winnings, even if that means giving some of it to m2k. It might 'destroy' the competitive spirit, but he's still entitled to spend his money how he wants, and if MLG wants to punish him for doing what he wants with his money, that just seems stupid. Sure MLG can make whatever rules they want for who they allow into their tournaments, but barring ADHD and m2k is arbitrary and unprofessional.

The bottom line is that, yes, splitting and forfeiting are really anti-competitive and hype-killing and players should be encouraged not to do it and perhaps scorned when they do, but it's still they're decision to play to whatever ability they feel like playing to and to do whatever they want with their winnings.

also, i do agree with the money principle. Its not illegal for ADHD to give some money. He should be able to do whatever he wants with his earnings.

@TKbreezy

Follow me on Twitter!
NNID
TKbreezy
now that i think about it...umm...its not really split

IMO.

I'm pretty sure if M2k had won that match ADHD wouldn't have gave him 300...nor would adhd have asked for 300 or half or whatever

m2k also said he didnt throw the match but he went in without any confidence...which may be true so that could be the reason he lost.

also another point. whats to say ADHD didnt already have atleast 300 to give M2K anyway...liek what if he had 500 in his account and gave m2k 300 of that? before any of his mlg earnings were even given to him

just a few thoughts...the outcome i feel is unchangable but I just figured I'd post in here finally

Jem.

Smash Master
i think that TO's should start banning splitting AT the event. Like, if they see any money transactions at a station since MM's aren't allowed, just ban them from that event and the next one. Splitting does ruin the competitive nature for fans and players watching, and lots of gaming websites have blogged saying they don't understand how smash players dont see the wrong in splitting. I think that'd be an easier solution, get players used to not being allowed to split. it can be harsh, but oh well.

Obviously, players can go home or to a smashfest after the tournament and distribute money, to which case, oh well and who cares, but atleast don't let it happen in the venues of tournaments lol. People need to re-learn the pride in winning just to be the best, instead of taking the safe route out and taking the guaranteed money

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
They should close this thread pretty soon or until MLG makes a responce to all of this.

Arikags

Smash Cadet
This community is retarted. This topic and all related topics should be closed. Let the people RELATED TO THE SITUATION deal with this. Everybody else should do something else.

ADHD

Smash Hero
The higher-ups have all received the final story. Everyone cross your fingers, as clap and anakin are currently reviewing the situation--two of the strongest official MLG staff members.

Arikags

Smash Cadet
The higher-ups have all received the final story. Everyone cross your fingers, as clap and anakin are currently reviewing the situation.
That means everyone can shut the **** up until a decision is made.

ADHD

Smash Hero
That means everyone can shut the **** up until a decision is made.
I tried to find the video where we played, because I KNOW I shrugged before the start of the match as a gesture to mew2king asking to split. It doesn't prove much, but anything to help my case. Nothing was recorded pre-match that I know of, however.

No they shouldn't.

Are people still not getting the idea that if rules are broken, either accidentally or intentionally, that there are in fact consequences that will be followed through with? This is just getting sad now.

You don't get to have everything forgiven by just saying "sorry". This isn't kindergarden; the world doesn't work like that. Nor does it matter if the rules are "stupid", "dumb", "illogical", "not what I'm used to" or w/e other label you want to give them. If a company doesn't follow through with the consequences for the rules, everybody who wants to break them is going to break them. I can't think of a single good reason for MLG to change their minds. Do you honestly think they care if a dozen or so smashers "boycott" them? Heck, they probably don't care if the entire smash community did in fact boycott them. Brawl isn't where they make their money. It's a nice little side bonus at best.

M2K and ADHD messed up, now everyone knows what not to do for Dallas/next year if Brawl is still in the circuit: don't split money, and don't even talk about splitting money if you want to be in the next MLG tournament. That's frankly all there is to it.
You're just another Xyro. Is this a coincidence you are both from the same state?

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero
'Everyone is innocent until PROVEN guilty.'

I just hope MLG has hard evidence (that m2k forfeited intentionally) to support their decision, because banning them without it is just wrong.
This.

Like what evidence does MLG even have of this whole thing? from what i heard they are just going off by what two random people said.

ADHD

Smash Hero
This.

Like what evidence does MLG even have of this whole thing? from what i heard they are just going off by what two random people said.
There is no evidence, whatsoever. Everything is a battle of words. Unless they bugged me and mew2king with a communication device to hear what we were saying, there is no way they could POSSIBLY have "valid and substantial evidence."

Still, they'll stick with the former and claim that the evidence is private.

Atomsk_92

Smash Hero
Dang don't get soo upset. You take everything soo seriously. Like for real you can't even take in some person stating there own opinion if it's different from yours. You just tell them to stop posting, go away, stuff like that.
Yup I should have respected Hitler's opinion and let him do as he pleased.

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
This is why M2K can't play at Dallas. AND this is why ADHD can't, either. His partial agreement to even CONSIDER giving M2K part of the pot might have (and probably did) influenced M2K into not playing at the top of his game, skewing the rankings and earning ADHD more money than he might have otherwise. He's just as much at fault for even CONSIDERING splitting a pot.
This isn't Big Brother. That's equivalent of Double Think from 1984. People should only be punished for their actions not what they were "considering" on.

D

Deleted member

Whether they did something wrong or not, MLG putting up the notice that ADHD and M2K were banned before this point was really unprofessional. Even if they are proven to be innocent, their reputations in the community have been damaged pretty badly (just look at some of the posts in this thread).

Just look at what happened with Michael Jackson. An amazing singer, whose reputation was ruined by accusations of him being a child molester, which he was never actually charged for (he didn't do it).

I'm sure their intentions were good, they wanted to take a strong stance on this to set a precedent, but that should only be done once you have all of the facts. Otherwise it turns into the ****show you see here in this thread and the other 50 threads, and it absolutely ruins the reputation of MLG, M2K, ADHD, and the Brawl Community.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
hes just another smart person who refuses to take the side of a cheater.
just out of random curiosity, what would you do in this situation if you were in MLGs place? seeing as your a TO in all

Gnes

Smash Master
This.

Corporations do not work off the same rules as court room trials. How many times are people gonna have to say this? If they did then this discussion wouldn't even be happening.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Also. MJ was accused aka charged, just never convicted. That also as far as Im concerned doesnt mean he didnt do it. It means they couldnt prove he did it. PPl get accused for **** all the time. the only right thats guaranteed in this country to protect that is a fair and speedy trial.

The truth was that I did ask adhd if he would split, and the true reason I did that is because 1) I didn't think I could beat ADHD in a 3/5 set, then rich brown in an extended set right after, and the 2nd reason is because I didn't have my good controller with me which I used for the first 3 MLGs because it had broken a week prior to MLG DC.
I dont understand. Where is the offense in this. This has absolutely nothing to do with the outcome of the match, asking somebody to split. Whether he thought he could win or not is irrelevant. The winner of the match is still the winner, and the loser is the loser. I assume had Jason won he would have split with ADHD, and it was nothing more than a monetary agreement between the two of them.

Is there more to this story? or could somebody point out the offense plz(Im asking which MLG rule was violated). I thought you just couldnt alter the outcome of the match or do any sort of bracket control kinda ****.

I read something else that stated an MLG rule similar to this ^ and I assume that was the one that he violated.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
regardless if anyone was there or not doesnt mean **** in this internet squabble

the fact of the matter is you both have a hard time keeping your mouths shut, else you both wouldnt be banned from dallas

stingers

Smash Obsessed
MLG's original decision was based off of a LIE that someone told them. they did not have the real story

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
shoulda just played melee, where if you split/forfeit, thats your choice. i don't think anyone's banned from pound 5 melee because top players from some regions like to split. its your money.

Angel.M <3 C:

Smash Champion
shoulda just played melee, where if you split/forfeit, thats your choice. i don't think anyone's banned from pound 5 melee because top players from some regions like to split. its your money.
This has nothing to do with the games. its the rules of MLG. if it was melee instead of brawl you STILL couldnt split.

Get that melee > brawl shiz outta here.

Jem.

Smash Master
Kline (KaoStar) what you don't understand is splitting is HIGHLY FROWNED UPON outside every community besides smash. They think it's the lowest thing you can do, especially in a championship type match. MLG does not approve of splitting, which is why M2K + ADHD are in the situation they're in at the first place =p

I think that's pretty cool that Clap is reviewing over everything, that should give a pretty good indicator you both might be reinstated for Dallas. if you guys get unbanned, you should probably never even joke about splitting again, and not talk to him right before or during the set lolz. I don't even know if Lil Poison got a review after getting banned during H2 MLG lol.

The problem is MLG thinks(or originally thought) ADHD gave M2K $300 for the forfeit which would warrant a ban, but that's not what happened

Hive

Smash Lord
If they had a problem with the mlg ruleset it should have been brought up beforehand, and not as a consequence of being caught breaking it. Breaking rules for profit motives never looks good.
Splitting clearly has a impact on the integrity of the game and the community though, it reduces incentives to win or lose, and relationships between success and reward. Its anticlimatic to spectators because it changes the championship to a friendly, and it ultimately makes mlg look bad for offering these reward structures for their events.

I respect that m2k owned up to what happened and apologized to mlg and the community, although I wouldn't have said that he did it because its the only way to get unbanned from Dallas...
Apologizing with the expectation of reward makes it look less of an apology.

Lawlb0t

Smash Lord
MLG blows anyways
This. MLG is a passive threat for the welfare of the smash community. Its evident through the history of smash, and other game genres. Everyone/respected 'elders' need to be the council over the community not some corporate entity.
You (brawl players) influence the ruleset, but have no choice/administration/council over decisions.

Everyone who goes to tournys know splitting happens. It isn't healthy for competition, but its apart of smash and it seems to be accepted even if its negative. Keep this **** under the table, always. (i aint excusing what happened)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom