• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

the top players

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
just throwing it out there, if you feel you are letting the U.S and your fans down just because you lose close sets to great players, imagine how much more of a let down you would be to everyone if you just quit?

that would be the biggest letdown of all.

ok so P4 was you best chance? screw that! what you NEED to do, is stop being so down on yourself, get your *** in gear and train up and show the world what you can do!

Sounds like the making of a great movie...

arcane9211

Smash Apprentice
Jason, get a new controller and break it in before Apex or w/e other large Melee tourney you attend. Btw, I think you should think about each matchup and just determine what character you want to use in that matchup ahead of time, as well as which character would be your alt if you lose or aren't feeling the first one. That way you won't have any regrets about character choice afterward and can go in feeling a bit more confident.

How much do you practice nowadays, if at all? Also, I keep hearing people say you were better in 07. Do you feel you were a better player at say...Pound 3 than Pound 4, or did the competition just improve and people are being too hard on you?

iamthemicrowave

Smash Master
dude m2k i was cheering for you so hard at p4, both your sets came down to last hit!! you got that crazy run off upair against hbox and i thought you won, but then he came back and gotcha

jpobs post was really good, i agree

strawhats

Smash Master
Jason...I dont know if you'll ever be this good again > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nAg28XtB30

but if you really love melee (smash in general) then put your heart and soul into every match. Training is the key. You should balance your melee and Brawl(as difficult as it is)

You can definitely be the best again if you were to only give up on Brawl, but I dont expect you to do that as Brawl is where the money is and you need to live off of tourneys.

Your marth imo is your best character...stick with that and try to make it as good as it was if not (if possible at all) better than it was in your prime.

P.S. anyone know why my avatar is blanked.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
i 3 and 4 stocked pcs fox with marth at Pound4 the 2 friendlies we played if that counts for anything even though he wasn't in his prime. Idk how good I am compared to before. I'm better in some ways but worse in some ways I honestly don't know nor remember.

Vidjo refuses to play with me. He won't even take me to nearby tourneys for melee so I have to find other rides. I'm not playing computers. I'm bored of that. If I lived like next to Mango or something that would be a different story I'd play all the time, but as is I hardly touched the game since P4. I'm still bitter about Jman getting me DQed for arriving late. I still think I'm really good, but most of my skill comes from being an overall player. I use too many characters equally, and that is almost useless when I could have / should have just mastered 1. In Brawl, I decided to fully master one character, and I chose Metaknight, and now look what that turned to ppl wanna ban him now UGH

tbh Idk where I'm going with this I'm just rambling about random things

bbl

pockyD

Smash Legend
isn't not "choking" a huge part of being 'good'?

you are measured by what you can accomplish, and if you always 'choke' in the important matches, then you should not be considered to have accomplished more than those who can keep their cool through those moments and surpass your achievements

skyheart

Smash Lord
it's true, these scrubs just type 'johns' for m2k's post when they don't play/know him at that level can be extremely annoying, and for someone like jason who constantly gets put down, i see this from the times i've played him month to month everytime i go over, it builds up and honestly, him not flipping out has actually surprised me.

m2k's tolerance is quite high and the way he reacts throws people off but how he feels can be easily understood, another thing though jason, people have different requirements for top this or top that

therefore, they want proof differently, some thinks if they play you and you **** them, then it's good, or others want vids of you beating someone pro with it, others say oh you gotta win tourney, so it's kind of ******** all in all, personally, you really shouldn't worry about it, because ultimately you're just seeking approval from others, don't be like bob doozio

hope this helps my friend, and did you finally get that travel USA thing?

-LOL MASTER

Smash Journeyman
well I'm always the underdog now because the only thing I've been good at doing lately is failing U.S. and losing. P4 Melee, with 2 set losses and Jman getting me DQed from teams made me not want to touch melee at all. I often feel it is not worth it to play if I will keep letting U.S. or fans down. I've been doing it consistently even though I feel I can do much better it just never ends up happening in the end.

I think P4 was my best chance and I blew it. There are 2 more things

Everyone will probably be slightly better by Apex2, and because of Brawl/MLG (and unfortunately P4 controller got bad since then), I might not be as good as I was. I think P4 was my best chance and I don't stand as good of a chance next time. Other concern is I have too many characters at about equal level that I am never sure which to use. Example Sheik Marth Fox I use about equal but often times I pick the wrong one? Ugh that is one problem I am never sure who to pick. I do think my melee reign is probably over now, but I also feel much stronger than 4th/5th best which I am considered. I don't know/think I can prove it though

i often wondered why u never went sheik vs armadas peach.
or atleast go sheik vs his peach more often. i think your sheik is way more consistent than your mart tbh.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Mew2king needs to stop letting his ego control him. Who cares what people think or say about you, or how good you are.

If you enjoy playing melee keep playing it. If you don't enjoy it stop playing.

It's really that simple. It's just a video game.

Codi

Smash Ace
well I'm always the underdog now because the only thing I've been good at doing lately is failing U.S. and losing. P4 Melee, with 2 set losses and Jman getting me DQed from teams made me not want to touch melee at all. I often feel it is not worth it to play if I will keep letting U.S. or fans down. I've been doing it consistently even though I feel I can do much better it just never ends up happening in the end.

I think P4 was my best chance and I blew it. There are 2 more things

Everyone will probably be slightly better by Apex2, and because of Brawl/MLG (and unfortunately P4 controller got bad since then), I might not be as good as I was. I think P4 was my best chance and I don't stand as good of a chance next time. Other concern is I have too many characters at about equal level that I am never sure which to use. Example Sheik Marth Fox I use about equal but often times I pick the wrong one? Ugh that is one problem I am never sure who to pick. I do think my melee reign is probably over now, but I also feel much stronger than 4th/5th best which I am considered. I don't know/think I can prove it though
ok mew2king time for confidence! i beleive in you, you can and hopefully one day soon, will place 1st or 2nd at a huge tournament hopefully apex 2! I 100% agree you are definetly the second best melee player at this moment in time, and definetly 1-3 top players of all time. When you lose something big or theres some upset that you lost a match honestly don't let it bother you and if it for whatever reason does bother you, don't feel like you failed the U.S or any fans down at all. You have provided the smash community with a ton of information and shown time after time that you still are a top player. Honestly without you the smash community wouldn't even be at this level of game play let alone the U.S or any of your fans. So don't be discouraged at all. If you honestly think any of your fans are thinking any of less of you then guess again your wrong :). I hope my post king of changes how you feel about what others think. Even though this post is kind of a mess of stuff and not very well organized in order, i think you get the point.

So i want to (hopefully) be the first one to say this to you, I beleive in you Mew2king so start getting confident and thinking positive practice up for both Melee and Brawl (mostly melee though :psycho:) and show us the true Mew2King. Come Apex2 i want to see you at your 07 level of play or even higher than that!

Codi

Smash Ace
ok well when i started writing the above message i was on page 8 (i stopped typing for like an hour or so) it took me another 20-30 mins to get the right words and then i started checking for spelling mistakes but than started getting really tired..but if you go from page 9 to here everyone is supporting you Jason i think theres like two people who mentioned something other than you, and all of them have basically said what i just wrote. Just be confident....DON'T QUIT...and don't let what people think get to you....

KrazyKnux

Smash Lord
I've been saying it for sometime...It's clear Javi/Twin are the best players in the universe. Shiz has the most potential from USA, and Dr. PP is about to make it up to the top. M2K is solid, stick with Marth, and just start domming. Mango is straight garbage at this game. Hbox is solid except at jiggs dittos. Armada and Amsah are both dominant, need to go to all USA nationals imo.

wat

DJ Nintendo

Smash Champion
Jason M2K Zimmerman from Cinnaminson, I highly recommend you come to my crib and stay for a few days before Apex. That way you'll be able to get training from me and Lambchops. Not only training in the game, but confidence training as well. Me and Chops have it all planned out already. You'll also be able to practice teams with Jman since he lives right next to me.

ONE THING thats really important is that you need to LISTEN to me. The amount of knowledge and advice I am willing to share with you and everyone else is beast. I've trained and given advice to mad people over the years. I've trained Jman and look at how good he is now. So come through and get swagged up son :)

HawaiianJigglyPuff

Smash Ace
the reason i dont like hungrybox's style is INDEED because of the character he uses combined with ultra gay, not the gayness itself. watching characters like fox falco falcon marth etc. be gay is ok because when they land a hit they do cool looking combos with flashy tech skill.

Jigglypuff is SOOOOO technical, hbox gets away with using the control stick and z button for everything....

im really just sick of getting to winners finals at major national hyped for months tournies and watching fuxing puff dittos or puff vs someone it's ****in aggravating pick up falco hbox!
Wow this is a horrible post.

Hbox shouldn't have to play a certain way just so he can satisfy YOU when you watch the videos on youtube or the match at the tourney. If you really are so sick of watching two jiggs get to grand finals, GET BETTER and challenge them yourself!

**** that Armada has an account now.

In the USA, it's definitely Ken, M2K, Mango.

Armada is ****ing **** right now and so is Hungrybox. (M2K is also underrated as a current player.)

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
With all the amount of time I put into the game, getting good with all the characters I did for no reason, not setting on a main at all, and still being able to be dominant with a lot of characters, I think I do not get the respect I should by other people
Lets be for real here M2K. People call you one of the top 3 smashers of all time (along with Ken and Mango). How much more respect do you want? Also, remember that you got by far the largest crowd/chants at P4 when you faced Armada (except maybe CHU-SA). You're more popular than you think; you have tons of fans. Your Shiz match at RoM has like 100,000 views. Trust me, thats not all Shiz fans.

But, at the same time, I have been to tournaments where people johned on you a lot. Really though, haters gonna hate and there isn't much you can do about it. If you didn't have them, would you have half the motivation you have now though? Proving people wrong is part of what makes getting good so rewarding.

Other concern is I have too many characters at about equal level that I am never sure which to use. Example Sheik Marth Fox I use about equal but often times I pick the wrong one? Ugh that is one problem I am never sure who to pick.
It may be useful to have a coach. Someone who decides your character for you. As silly as it sounds, it takes a huge weight off your shoulders. Not having to worry about the strategy of counterpicks and character selection lets you focus on your game. Also, getting coaching from someone who observed the games can give you great insight on how to adjust. Just look at P4; almost every top player had someone next to them giving advice. Just remember that you should never discredit anyone from giving advice; the best coaches are usually not the best players in almost every professional sport. Guys who you 4 stock could end up giving you the best advice of all. Some people see games really well when they aren't playing, and finding someone who can help you like that can be a great benefit.

But assuming you don't find a great coach, I'd advise you to lean on Marth. I know this is biased since I am a Marth main, but really, there is a reason why people consider you a Marth main. You reached your highest peaks with Marth, not any other character. When you were primarily Fox in the MLG circuit, you were ranked similar to where you are now. I don't mean you should neglect your Sheik and Fox; that'd be crazy because they are too good not to use. But, just understand that Marth is your main. So give him more opportunities to win. A lot of times you lose to Mango or Armada once with Marth and you switch. If you lose with Sheik tho, you stick with her. I don't think thats right; I think your Marth is too good to use in one match. I know for a fact that opponents breathe a sigh of relief when you switch off Marth. Do something like a 60-20-20 distribution (60% Marth, 20% Fox and Sheik) and I think you will find the greatest success. From what I see from you right now you are 20-30-50 (20 Marth, 30 Fox, 50 Sheik), and frankly I don't think thats the best distribution. Its crazy because I hear you not having confidence in your Marth more than any other character when everyone else thinks its your best and fears it beyond anything.

One thing you should definitely not do is stick each character to a matchup. If you limit your Marth to taking down Foxes and your Sheik to taking down Falcons for example, you destroy large parts of your game. Your Marth might gradually become worse at tech chasing/movement (what he needs to know for the Falcon matchup) for example. Also, you might run into someone who knows a matchup really well and will be unable to switch off with confidence.

Thats my 2 cents. As a M2K fan, I'd like nothing more than for you to win APEX (OK, I'd like myself to win APEX haha), so I had to throw my thoughts out there.

Zephynazo

Zobaia -Deus- Ariana
****, so many M2K fans here...

Listen, i don't really care how u feel about this, but it's game, don't take it so seriously.

Also, ur not better than Armada, please understand this.

He has BEATEN you in NTSC TWICE(!) with Peach (u used to say Peach sucked, and i heard "M2K will never lose to a Peach" alot before). I don't care if u didn't have a good day or not, or if u chocked or not, that's a part of the high level gameplay.
If you want to prove ur better than Armada, u go beat him in PAL TWICE or even NTSC, until then, please stfu about this matter :)

Im no M2K hater, please don't get the wrong idea.

PS:
Armada and Shiz for best players!

JPOBS

Smash Hero
Amsah has got his respect from us, pretty much everyone in the west who's anyone knows, loves and respects amsah as one of the greats because of Pound 4.

Ek on the other hand, unfortunately hasnt proven himself to the west yet and we really dont know him other than the amsah vs ek comeback.

Dr_Strangelove

Smash Journeyman
Amsah has got his respect from us, pretty much everyone in the west who's anyone knows, loves and respects amsah as one of the greats because of Pound 4.

Ek on the other hand, unfortunately hasnt proven himself to the west yet and we really dont know him other than the amsah vs ek comeback.
Just so you know, (because you clearly don't) that's like saying ken hasn't proved himself yet. As far as I know he's retired.

DJ Nintendo

Smash Champion
Wow this is a horrible post.

Hbox shouldn't have to play a certain way just so he can satisfy YOU when you watch the videos on youtube or the match at the tourney. If you really are so sick of watching two jiggs get to grand finals, GET BETTER and challenge them yourself!

**** that Armada has an account now.

In the USA, it's definitely Ken, M2K, Mango.

Armada is ****ing **** right now and so is Hungrybox. (M2K is also underrated as a current player.)
People just need to know how to properly fight Jiggs. She's easy to fight. Hbox doesn't play gay with her.

Lets be for real here M2K. People call you one of the top 3 smashers of all time (along with Ken and Mango). How much more respect do you want? Also, remember that you got by far the largest crowd/chants at P4 when you faced Armada (except maybe CHU-SA). You're more popular than you think; you have tons of fans. Your Shiz match at RoM has like 100,000 views. Trust me, thats not all Shiz fans.

But, at the same time, I have been to tournaments where people johned on you a lot. Really though, haters gonna hate and there isn't much you can do about it. If you didn't have them, would you have half the motivation you have now though? Proving people wrong is part of what makes getting good so rewarding.

It may be useful to have a coach. Someone who decides your character for you. As silly as it sounds, it takes a huge weight off your shoulders. Not having to worry about the strategy of counterpicks and character selection lets you focus on your game. Also, getting coaching from someone who observed the games can give you great insight on how to adjust. Just look at P4; almost every top player had someone next to them giving advice. Just remember that you should never discredit anyone from giving advice; the best coaches are usually not the best players in almost every professional sport. Guys who you 4 stock could end up giving you the best advice of all. Some people see games really well when they aren't playing, and finding someone who can help you like that can be a great benefit.

But assuming you don't find a great coach, I'd advise you to lean on Marth. I know this is biased since I am a Marth main, but really, there is a reason why people consider you a Marth main. You reached your highest peaks with Marth, not any other character. When you were primarily Fox in the MLG circuit, you were ranked similar to where you are now. I don't mean you should neglect your Sheik and Fox; that'd be crazy because they are too good not to use. But, just understand that Marth is your main. So give him more opportunities to win. A lot of times you lose to Mango or Armada once with Marth and you switch. If you lose with Sheik tho, you stick with her. I don't think thats right; I think your Marth is too good to use in one match. I know for a fact that opponents breathe a sigh of relief when you switch off Marth. Do something like a 60-20-20 distribution (60% Marth, 20% Fox and Sheik) and I think you will find the greatest success. From what I see from you right now you are 20-30-50 (20 Marth, 30 Fox, 50 Sheik), and frankly I don't think thats the best distribution. Its crazy because I hear you not having confidence in your Marth more than any other character when everyone else thinks its your best and fears it beyond anything.

One thing you should definitely not do is stick each character to a matchup. If you limit your Marth to taking down Foxes and your Sheik to taking down Falcons for example, you destroy large parts of your game. Your Marth might gradually become worse at tech chasing/movement (what he needs to know for the Falcon matchup) for example. Also, you might run into someone who knows a matchup really well and will be unable to switch off with confidence.

Thats my 2 cents. As a M2K fan, I'd like nothing more than for you to win APEX (OK, I'd like myself to win APEX haha), so I had to throw my thoughts out there.
I'll be M2K's coach :)

****, so many M2K fans here...

Listen, i don't really care how u feel about this, but it's game, don't take it so seriously.

Also, ur not better than Armada, please understand this.

He has BEATEN you in NTSC TWICE(!) with Peach (u used to say Peach sucked, and i heard "M2K will never lose to a Peach" alot before). I don't care if u didn't have a good day or not, or if u chocked or not, that's a part of the high level gameplay.
If you want to prove ur better than Armada, u go beat him in PAL TWICE or even NTSC, until then, please stfu about this matter :)

Im no M2K hater, please don't get the wrong idea.

PS:
Armada and Shiz for best players!
M2K takes Melee and Brawl serious for a reason. Alot of people just don't really know what he's been going through. M2K is better than Armada as well. I'm not saying that as a fan boy or anything like that.

Mike G

███████████████ 100%
BRoomer
Not to take any sides but the people that are still saying that M2K is better than Armada is all opinion until officially proven with consecutive tournament results.

I mean, the guy placed top 5 in two national tourneys higher than M2K(and has taken him out too). Plus the fact that he's more accustomed to PAL where some top tiers aren't as beastly as NTSC lol

Seriously, does Armada have to JV 5 stock Isai with one had while doing the chu pose with the other to actually prove himself to some of you? lol

I'm not a hater or fan boy by any means. Besides him being a cool person to talk to, I see Amarda as a smasher I must destroy if I ever decide to fully come back to compettive melee :lick:. And M2K, you know what you have to do. You don't need me to tell you either, man. I've known you and smashed with you with the rest of my DA bros since the early days. You already have my respect and I want you to beast at APEX. :)

of course, you can feel free to call this post an opinion as well lol

null55

Smash Master
what M2K should have said:

"i'm not talking about those sets, i'm talking about me being better than you. i don't care if i lost or not. and yes, like it or not, a part of competition is having to prove yourself every time. i'm expressing my opinion, and if you have a problem with that, we'll handle it the next time we meet face to face."

but of course he can't make that post due to MLG johns.

and cause he's M2K.

ironic that he's called a robot. n*****'s like, the absolute opposite, and i guess that makes him a likable underdog. humans = johns.

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
Meh, if M2k comes back to being "07" again, I'll be happy, but regardless he's still the most entertaining player to play Melee. Go to DJ Nintendo's a good month before bro.

AZEN>Ken>M2k/Amsah>Mango.

Honourable mentions to Ek, HBox and PC Chris in no order.

DAS

Smash Ace
NNID
DAS1989
How can he be consider better if he never beat the guy? What reasons could there be honestly?

Its not like Armada only beats him and that's all.

May'be if he had more fun instead he might do better.

What good reason could you have to take video games seriously? Unless its like a job or something of that nature.

Krackshot Kroc

Smash Ace
Although I don't consider M2K the best at either Melee nor Brawl (don't get me wrong though, M2K is amazing at both). I think that M2K is overall the best Smash player to date as a whole, he plays both Melee and Brawl at an extremely high level and ***** at both

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
Ok I don't really care about this thing anymore but I will explain it. You aren't necessarily better than someone just cuz you beat them. Silent Spectre 2-0d Armada, and Hax beat Amsah. Does this mean they are better than them? Well if that's the only time they fought, and those are the results of the fights, then that means they are. But they aren't

I hope that's enough to get my point across. Idc who's better, I'm just stating my opinion. I think I'm really good because I play a ton of characters at a very high level, and the only other person than me that does that is Mango. Even if I wasn't allowed to use like my top 2 or even top 3 best characters I could still compete very well. This is why I think I'm overall 2nd best after Mango at the game. Tourney-threat wise I do not claim to be better, although I think it's more or less fairly even. I also think if I'm lucky enough I am capable of getting 1st at a big event. I just don't think I will be able to prove it. I just think I'm quite capable to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom