• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

the top players

Status
Not open for further replies.

a13c

Smash Cadet
in all the years of melee who were the three best players

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
I don't see how anyone can 'really' argue against Ken/M2k/Mango

Ken dominated the beginning of Smash Bros Melee for years using Marth. No one even questioned that he was number 1 up to the point Pc Chris and Mew2king started stepping up. He was a beast all the way to retirement though.

Mew2king dominated the second part of Melee using a different play style for Marth. He's still one of the best players. Once again, nobody really argued against Mew2king's dominance until Mango.

Mango is currently the number 1 player and nobody argues that.

All three of these players are really beastly at doubles. Ken and Isai have a win streak that I wouldn't be surprised if it was never broken. Mango and Mew2king still dominate in doubles.

Not top 3 ever:
----------------
Isai - never dominated on a national scale like Ken/M2k/Mango. Only dominated in doubles having Ken as a partner.

PC Chris - beat Ken at least once, but it was more back and forth until Ken improved his match up against Falco. PC Chris is still playing and really good, but he loses to the top of the top.

HungryBox - i could see him being part of the next top 3, but it'll be hard considered he's largely overshadowed by Mango for using the same character.

Armada - I don't know Armada's history before Genesis. *shrugs* Mew2king and him did not meet until past M2k's prime.

I.B

Smash Lord
I didn't know this was based off monetary earnings. I mean, sure there's a blatant relation between top players and how much money they acquire from tourneys...but in no way is it solely based off that.

Solid Jake

The Arcanum
Haha yeah, im just saying that he indeed did win a pro circuit season, that was the end of Ken and right when M2K was starting to get really good. Though I remember specifically when M2K was most afraid of PC Chris

S.G.

Smash Journeyman
ken m2k mango
except m2k kinda barely just a lil shared his reign of dominance with PC, as did ken

a13c

Smash Cadet
yeah thats what i was thinking ken m2k and mango for top players

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
I'm looking at attendance numbers, how far ahead they were from the other competition, and the length of dominance. I'm sure M2k would have loved to snatch a check of his own if MLG didn't drop Melee during his prime.

Dr.Brawl

Smash Ace
I think it is very hard to pick the top three players, however what are we looking at, skill, winnings, ranks? It would still have to be Ken, M2k, Mango.

I don't know enough about KDJ, Isai, PC, Armada, or Hbox to say they have achieved the levels of M2k, Ken, or Mango.

Smash Journeyman
I think it is very hard to pick the top three players, however what are we looking at, skill, winnings, ranks? It would still have to be Ken, M2k, Mango.

I don't know enough about KDJ, Isai, PC, Armada, or Hbox to say they have achieved the levels of M2k, Ken, or Mango.
lol well then sir your opiinion is biased therefore how can we even take your word
you know nothing about the others to give a honest opinion or a correct one.

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
Haha yeah, im just saying that he indeed did win a pro circuit season, that was the end of Ken and right when M2K was starting to get really good. Though I remember specifically when M2K was most afraid of PC Chris
And I remember specifically when PC Chris was afraid of KoreanDJ

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
The only players to have ever been widely viewed as the best are Ken, Azen, PC Chris, M2K, and Mango. Some had reigns longer than others, but those are the only players who can claim that.

Radical Dreamer

Smash Ace
Ken, M2K and Mango is just pretty obvious. Ken had the longest reign, was ahead of his time, and won more money than anyone else. As someone whose first year as a smasher was during M2K's reign, I remember that the overall impression was that he was the second coming and that he was practically unstoppable, especially against space animals. He did lose a few times obviously, but M2K was quite clearly the best player of 2007, and in 2008 it was still arguable. Mango right now appears untouchable.

Isai is probably the most overrated melee player of all time and there are probably at least a dozen other players who should be considered ahead of him. I say this with all due respect for the skills that he does have. It's not his fault though. His fans turned him into an immaculate legend that he can only live up to in a different game, and he never even really bothered to develop his Falcon to the extent that Darkrain and SS did. Certainly by 2007, as a singles player, he was just another good player.

Zephynazo

Zobaia -Deus- Ariana
^ bout Isai, ever considered mention the work he put in teams?

He was considered the best team player, for a long time.

I know that has nothing to do with how he did individually, but give the guy a break, lol xD

Öni

Smash Cadet
I don't see how anyone can 'really' argue against Ken/M2k/Mango
I don't see how everyone can not think about Amsah.

Winning every single tournament for over 3 years is a pretty long streak if you ask me...
And "he is still even with Armada depending on the version".

Ek, Amsah, Armada.

D20

Smash Lord
Although I would not disagree that M2K is one of the greatest Melee players, I think many of you are exaggerating his dominance in 2007. If I remember correctly, he only won one of the three major events, with PC winning OC3 and Chu winning Pound 2. However, to be fair, those were some of the most competitive tournaments in Melee's history.

Shichi_Chan

Smash Cadet
Although I would not disagree that M2K is one of the greatest Melee players, I think many of you are exaggerating his dominance in 2007. If I remember correctly, he only won one of the three major events, with PC winning OC3 and Chu winning Pound 2. However, to be fair, those were some of the most competitive tournaments in Melee's history.
who are those randoms you're talking about? Get at my boys rubyiris and vbm.

Lovage

Smash Hero
i thought isai/azen dominated in like 03 before ken? they wouldn't be top 3, but still worth considering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom