• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The State of Brawl in Japan: 3rd Update 14/02/10

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Japan was doing almost everything wrong when making their Tier List. Until every character is shown at the absolute peak of their metagame COMPARED w/ other characters we shouldn't get another list either.
I understand your logic, but it's flawed. The Tier List is a tool, and is useful for people. We create it so that it can serve people who acknowledge it not as a pure, master, and ultimate tier list, but as a meterstick to judge the current metagame, which is relevant.

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
I disagree, and here's why.
...well...?

jk/
I understand your logic, but it's flawed. The Tier List is a tool, and is useful for people. We create it so that it can serve people who acknowledge it not as a pure, master, and ultimate tier list, but as a meterstick to judge the current metagame, which is relevant.
Yes, but I assume there is a point where everything about the metagame is known to where we can make a Final List. That is all. I am hoping people like the low tiers can get more representation since we still argue over things like Ness vs Lucas and Falcon vs Link.

professor mgw

Smash Champion
NNID
Prof3ssorMGW
I feel the metagame for many characters haven't been completely developed, making the tier list unreliable. Consider pit 4 instance..... He just seems so undeveloped... Like link.

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
...well...?

jk/
Yes, but I assume there is a point where everything about the metagame is known to where we can make a Final List. That is all. I am hoping people like the low tiers can get more representation since we still argue over things like Ness vs Lucas and Falcon vs Link.
There probably is no such point. Look at melee. The "final" tier list after 7+ years is already losing its relevance.
Public transit ftw, I'm actually in NJ a lot when there's no school.

Honestly, I have friends who live in Teaneck that I visit once in a while.
But public transportation is so expensive.... well I suppose everything is expensive when you have no job. >.>
Yes, everyone should play Pit. Because he needs it.

*I* need it T.T

I have no Pit buddies.
No one likes pit.

On topic: I do agree that the way the japanese formed their general tier list is extremely flawed. You need something like smashboards or at least the SBR, because no one knows the whole metagame that well. No one has that kind of experience. How could you?

theunabletable

Smash Lord
Yes, but I assume there is a point where everything about the metagame is known to where we can make a Final List.
Well they did that for Melee, and most people disregard a lot of stuff (such as Puff's placement) because it's already outdated.

Clai

Smash Lord
Where men are born and champions are raised
That's one reason amongst many. It also has to do with the lack of competative nature of the players, and how they perceive themselves, and their ability to win. The average person doesn't seem to see themselves ever reaching the top. I got this far, because I thought I'd get this far, tried to get this far, and BAM, I'm here. Most players accept their positions, while using the WRONG STRATEGIES to get better.

Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect. This is why when I train people, it consists of more than just playing matches, but making sure understanding is there.
That's why I love using under-repped characters. If I mained a character that a great number of people mained as well, I'd have no motivation to get better, as no matter what I do, I can never reach the level of people who have much better training resources than I do. I would never feel any personality with playing that character, because my playstyle would more likely than not, be a carbon-copy of someone who's far better than I am. Honestly, if it weren't for Ganondorf, I would have quit this competitive scene a long time ago, because what would the purpose of training if I don't have the proper resources to succeed in the top of the metagame?

With Ganondorf, I feel that I can call the playstyle I'm using is my own, since my intention is to surpass the common strategy instead of simply mastering it. With a character as bad as Ganondorf, I need to perfect the features Pierce outlined before if I'm going to have any chance of winning, since I can't just rely on other character's superior frame data to win. I guess the issue is that most players don't like this game enough to want to take it to the next level, and that's all under the subjectiveness of 'fun' more than anything.

Pierce, I need to fight you with Ganon. If anything, it will teach me about how to approach the top of the metagame.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
That's why I love using under-repped characters. If I mained a character that a great number of people mained as well, I'd have no motivation to get better, as no matter what I do, I can never reach the level of people who have much better training resources than I do. I would never feel any personality with playing that character, because my playstyle would more likely than not, be a carbon-copy of someone who's far better than I am. Honestly, if it weren't for Ganondorf, I would have quit this competitive scene a long time ago, because what would the purpose of training if I don't have the proper resources to succeed in the top of the metagame?
That's not a very good reason to rep a low tier, Clai.

Do you think just you can't surpass the MK and Snake mains who (imported from Japan <.< and) got there before you?

Well then it seems you're working around a self-imposed limitation. Why should you be able to win if you think you don't grow as fast as others?

Do you think as a rule it's not possible to surpass one's predecessors with the same character?

... that's a very low opinion of your fellow players.

Either way, you've kinda boned yourself.
And I'm calling you on it, because I care about a fellow Ganon brother.

The average person doesn't seem to see themselves ever reaching the top. I got this far, because I thought I'd get this far, tried to get this far, and BAM, I'm here. Most players accept their positions, while using the WRONG STRATEGIES to get better.

Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect. This is why when I train people, it consists of more than just playing matches, but making sure understanding is there.
Which average person are you talking about? I can really only define people into two categories. The casual player and the competitive player. Casual has almost no chance of getting to the top. Competitive... almost everyone thinks they will reach the top, that's why they try to get better.

The reason not many get there is because they aren't doing as you said, the proper practice. Using wrong strategies. But, what defines proper practice? I am not sure anyone can really define proper practice, or else everyone should be doing pro level stuff.

There probably is no such point. Look at melee. The "final" tier list after 7+ years is already losing its relevance.
Which makes you wonder if the idea of a tier list is rather stupid xD

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Competitive... almost everyone thinks they will reach the top, that's why they try to get better.
It not always the desire to make it to the top that drives most competitive players. Everyone has their own agenda when playing this game competitively, some happen to be similar (like reaching the top for instance), and some have other reasons. My initial reason for playing competitively is to establish myself as a well-known Peach player and/or the best Peach main out there. If I happen to land myself at the "top" of anything (a power ranking, region-wide skill, etc.) I'll consider that a bonus for my effort. Your point still stands, I just thought I'd specify on it more. :3

The reason not many get there is because they aren't doing as you said, the proper practice. Using wrong strategies. But, what defines proper practice? I am not sure anyone can really define proper practice, or else everyone should be doing pro level stuff.
I've seen a lot of the well-known players around here play/practice in cliques before, during, or after tournaments. Watching the way they practice allowed me to realize something important: When one plays with another person who is extremely knowledgeable about their character or about the game in general, not only does the former learn about effective strategies/attacks to use in a given matchup, but they begin to develop their game around important fundamentals rather than a possible cut-n-dry average level playstyle, which can then help said player learn about the game to a point that they can adapt mid-match at a rate that would allow them to compete at a higher level then they could before. In the end...it all comes down to the speed at which someone can adapt and react to something; a trait that an opponent of equal or lower skill cannot help to develop as much as someone who will push a player beyond their limit.

Needless to say...I've picked up on more of the game's core fundamentals (mainly how to properly fight the MK matchup) and developed my game even further from just two hours of practice with M2K's Metaknight than I ever have from playing any other MK. Ever.

Nah a tier list is still pretty necessary imo. lol

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
S+: Metaknight
S: Snake
A: Falco, Pit (too high, granted they have Masashi but even then I've not seen a Pit player whp blew me away and made me think he was that good.) Marth, Fox (definitely too high, this one is severely off lol. Wario and Diddy and even potentially Dedede have better matchup spreads than Fox does.) Wario, Diddy, King Dedede
B: Olimar, Game and Watch, Zelda/Shiek (Shiek by herself might be this high, Zelda clearly is not though) Wolf (ZSS is probably better, I think IC's are too), Zero Suit Samus, ROB
C: Ice Climbers, Toon Link, Kirby, Lucario, Pikachu (is a bit low, but then again he doesn't dominate the cast that much and still lacks representation.)
D: Donkey Kong (every character listed above him could reasonable be better than DK. Our list probably won't have DK this low, but they aren't "weird" for putting him here. It's understandable.), Peach, Ike, Lucas, Mario
E: Bowser, Pokemon Trainer, Link, Yoshi, Ness (I think he's better than Yoshi, but then again he has some ******** bad matchups), Luigi (Even though I think Luigi is garbage, I don't think he's THIS bad lol)
F: Ganon (BIG no no lol. Samus and Jigglypuff are CLEARLY better than Ganon. Like, not even the same level od garbage as Ganon.), Samus, Falcon, Sonic (He is too slow apparently), Jigglypuff (FLARBLE GARBLE GARBLE WHAT IS THIS NONSENSE!?!?!?!?)

My thoughts added to their tier list.

I also want to say that making a statement like "Japan is way better/more advanced in the metagame than the US" is silly.

1. Japan and the US haven't "clashed" or wagered war in any big tournaments. Few US players have visited Japan and seen first hand/played first hand with them, and vice verse for them.

2. I think both regions approach/see the game in different lights. We value somethings in Brawl more than they do, and they probably favor other things than us. It would be more likely that they are on a different "tangent" of metagame instead of ahead of us.

3. Just my opinion from watching their top level and lower matches, but I think the US would indeed beat them in, say a large crew battle or if the better US players traveled over there and entered a big tournament. Like I said, there's no way to definitely tell, but that is what I infer from watching a lot of their matches (not to discredit them of course).

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
Its useful to get a quick glimpse at the current metagame.

I wouldn't say its needed.

@DMG: Sheik/zelda is one character. Adding zelda to sheik can't possibly lower her on the tier list, because it only add options. It can only make her better or at worst leave her the same. I think that playing sheik/zelda is the optimal way to play zelda or sheik in most match ups. Not to say you should always switch like Earth does, but you should usually start as sheik and switch when necessary/useful. This is probably the best way to play the character and thus should be what's considered on a tier list.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
YESHaskljkjafjlak

That's fine, I just pointed out that Zelda is balls and she herself doesn't get that spot.

Toronto Joe

Smash Master
i dont know balls about the japan smash scene,but juggling from there tier list,they like aggresive comboish chars

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Zelda is always at the right spot on these lists - taking Sheik's credit.

If Sheik had a down B, she'd become a better character
Pssssh. Having a move that gives you about 10 kill options when you need it, refreshes all of your moves, and gives you the opton of in-game counterpicking is fine with me.

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
Mars said it before I could.
Though I wouldn't mind a downB like ZSS's or like diddy's sideB.

Clai

Smash Lord
That's not a very good reason to rep a low tier, Clai.

Do you think just you can't surpass the MK and Snake mains who (imported from Japan <.< and) got there before you?

Well then it seems you're working around a self-imposed limitation. Why should you be able to win if you think you don't grow as fast as others?

Do you think as a rule it's not possible to surpass one's predecessors with the same character?

... that's a very low opinion of your fellow players.

Either way, you've kinda boned yourself.
And I'm calling you on it, because I care about a fellow Ganon brother.
Most people have friends/crews/access to large tournaments on a regular basis that they can utilize to get better. As I've been stating, experience with capable players is, far and away, the best way to improve in this game, and that's what I've been defining as the proper resources. Most of the time I don't have access to any of those resources (I have friends in Philadelphia, but opportunities to train with them are few and far in between), so I essentially have to go it alone (my house's Wifi sucks, so online is pretty much out of the question).

This has nothing to do with ego, it's purely an economic belief. Teams that don't have the proper funds/sources have to work that much harder to reach the same level with the teams that do have those resources- it's why they divide college schools into divisions based on the amount of resources they can allocate for those teams.Now I'm not disrespecting the amount of work people are putting into their characters to make them better, I'm just saying they have help from other people, which imo is absoulutely necessary if they aim to surpass the predecessors before them.

If I'm going to go at it alone, I'm going to do with a character I enjoy playing and comes with an element of surprise. I main Ganondorf because I love his moveset and because he's the manliest character in Brawl. It has nothing to do with him being a low-tier character, although it helps that being a low-tier character forces me to put in a ton of work into him for me to become successful, which is perfectly fine by me.

Falcon88

Smash Ace
You have unwinnable matchups.
In Japan, there aren't as many of those unwinnable matchups. They ban CGs, for one thing, and they play more deliberately than we do. Ganon, by the way, does have a lot of potential if used outside of his bad matchups. He's not ALL bad.

I agree with Jiggs's position on their list btw. She is stupid bad in this game with her short range attacks.

Clai

Smash Lord
That's a loser's mentality. Any barrier can be breached as long as you're willing to blast through them.

In the meantime, I do have secondaries if I don't feel like waddling through the stupid things other characters can do.

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
......... There are so many things wrong with what you said and yet you said so few words..... Well....

First of all they do not ban CGs. This fact has been said several times in this very thread by someone who lives in japan now. Stop making those generalizations about a region you don't know anything about. Yes, if you use Ganon outside of the matches he doesn't lose in he'll do well. But firstly, are there any characters you can't say this for? Secondly, do you realize Ganon's best match up is 50-50... with Ganon? He is VERY bad.

Mario, Luigi, Wario, and several other characters have short range. Should they all automatically be bottom tier? You have to look at all the character's traits. "Metaknight is horrible because he's one of the lightest characters in the game." =/

@Clai: The fact that Ganon has nearly impossible matchups is a fact not a mentality. Still, if you have secondaries then that doesn't really matter as much I suppose.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
That's a loser's mentality. Any barrier can be breached as long as you're willing to blast through them.
lol, awesome.

It's too bad so many smashers dropped this mentality for "NADONADONADO!"

This game probably would be interesting to spectate otherwise. More Boss's and FOWs and Legans to watch.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Dang.

Marth covers all 3 of those characters. Marth, Ness, Link.

Marth is gay.

Also Jigglypuff is without a doubt NOT the worst character in the game. She will never ever ever EVER be the worst character in the game. She actually has passable matchups with some of the higher tiered characters. That alone pushes her above the legendary Ganon.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Quick question, to anyone who has found a way to figure out my answer:

Who is the best Kirby (or ZSS) mainer in Japan? I really would like to see him play. All I keep hearing is the same people: Falco, Snake, Pit, and MK. :mad:

Clai

Smash Lord
@Clai: The fact that Ganon has nearly impossible matchups is a fact not a mentality. Still, if you have secondaries then that doesn't really matter as much I suppose.
I was just pointing out the differences between relative and absolute. Nearly impossible is a fact, absolutely impossible is a mentality. Even though I have secondaries to cover the stupid-to-the-point-where-it-isn't-fun matchups, I still battle 15-85 and 20-80 matchups because fighting with Ganon is just way too much fun to give up (and because Ganon gives me the best chance of winning)

@DMG: Remember that the Japanese are responsible for all the Super Ganon Time videos, so they've probably put in a lot more effort into mastering Ganon than any of the other F tier characters. That, and the fact that the other characters don't have nearly as much rep would explain why Ganondorf is above them. But as much as my rabid anti-Jigglypuff emotions pain me to say this, she's a much better character than Ganon. Everyone (except "higher speed doesn't compensate for the fact that I still have a miserable moveset" Falcon) is a much better character than Ganon.

Top Bottom