• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The State of Brawl in Japan: 3rd Update 14/02/10

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Pierce... your standards for "good" seem a bit high.

You basically just made a post and said, "wow our average players are terrible. They don't even have perfect spacing, zoning, or knowledge. They can't even powershield everything. They can't juggle their opponents forever. What scrubs."

Not to say you aren't right to an extent. Yes, we should all be better. But we all can't be the best. It doesn't work that way. One player will be better than the other, and he will make him look bad.
He's right though. After a year of playing the game competitively, some people still suck at the majority of things he's mentioned and still consider themselves decent players.

There has to be a drive to improve and understand why you're not an M2K if you want to become a great player. If this game is so simple, why does the average player suck. If you do poorly or lose a match, you should know why you lost and what areas need improvement, then improve them. If you win a match and don't 3 stock them without getting hit, you should know WHY they were able to hit you those few times, WHY you were able to pull a 3 stock this time and not the other matches, and WHY your opponent actually fell for these things.

There's also way too many character johns and match-up johns in this community as well...believing you lost because your character couldn't handle the match-up rather than you sucking holds your development back.

Edit: There also has to be a lust for innovation if you truly want to improve, especially if you play an underplayed character, or even a highly played character. If you want to be like M2K as opposed to being the best MK in the world, then you're setting yourself up for mediocrity.

Lol @ this entire person shifting to 2nd person perspective. Obviously I'm not talking directly to you, but in general.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
I'd much rather be smart and educated than play Brawl 2340824903249237492374 hours a day even though I love Smash bros.
Same here. However, the OP has a good point. Not everyone in japan work hard or study hard. Most of the players are young or rejected from corporate society, lazy, or they just don't care. Only a handful of japanese players would be a challenge to the pros here in the U.S.

Kaffei

Smash Hero

You basically just made a post and said, "wow our average players are terrible. They don't even have perfect spacing, zoning, or knowledge. They can't even powershield everything. They can't juggle their opponents forever. What scrubs."

Honestly if our "average" player met your standards... well, then I would feel like our average player sucked because they can't even deal with their opponents juggling, zoning, spacing, powershielding, etc (if that makes sense to you. It makes sense in my head).

I mean, I fully understand what position I want to be in during a match. I know which positions are bad, and which are good. But so does my opponent. We're both trying to avoid those bad positions and get in those good positions. We aren't both going to be spacing perfectly and setting up great traps. We aren't both going to be juggling each other left and right. One guy probably will, though. Or maybe he won't. Depends on how well his opponent DIs, spaces, etc.

Average players can't always space well, set up walls and traps, or juggle their opponents well because their opponent doesn't let them. It's a two-way thing here. Maybe it's not my spacing that's bad, but my opponents spacing is better. That will always be the case, in fact.

Not to say you aren't right to an extent. Yes, we should all be better. But we all can't be the best. It doesn't work that way. One player will be better than the other, and he will make him look bad.
I think you misunderstood the wall of text. Almost every average marth player fairs at me, but he goes over my head. Spacing can't be perfect, but at least don't fair like that..

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
I just fell in love with P's reasoning I'm not the best but I try and utilize I learn.... I'll admit I'm scared to do certain things. Also which is relevant to what he said is that I noticed there were a lot more pros in Melee because everyone implimented everything they learned. In Brawl it's not the case people can useful things they pull off luck and never look into it again which I find quite sad to be honest. At my local tourney area I became a whole lot better because people freak at the sight of me foxtrotting and start to mess up. I know of only Biglou and Kismet not to do this.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
He's right though. After a year of playing the game competitively, some people still suck at the majority of things he's mentioned and still consider themselves decent players.

There has to be a drive to improve and understand why you're not an M2K if you want to become a great player. If this game is so simple, why does the average player suck. If you do poorly or lose a match, you should know why you lost and what areas need improvement, then improve them. If you win a match and don't 3 stock them without getting hit, you should know WHY they were able to hit you those few times, WHY you were able to pull a 3 stock this time and not the other matches, and WHY your opponent actually fell for these things.

There's also way too many character johns and match-up johns in this community as well...believing you lost because your character couldn't handle the match-up rather than you sucking holds your development back.
Like I said, he's right to an extent. I think his views on the average player is a little exaggerated.

The average player doesn't suck. The average player is average. Are there a lot of scrubs? Sure. But this implies that there are an equal amount of people who are ****** these players, thus making them qualify as bad.

But yes, I agree that our average player should be better. This includes me. But this is not always possible. I mean, I would love to get better at this game. The problem is that I only have one person to practice with, almost no money to travel with, and other life obligations. We can't all devote so much time to the game. We all don't have amazing players in our immediate area to practice with. If I had willing people to practice with, I would. As of now I have one: Palpi. You can only get so good from playing one person. Yes, I go to tournaments, but not enough apparently. I need to start hosting more, haha.

I think you misunderstood the wall of text. Almost every average marth player fairs at me, but he goes over my head. Spacing can't be perfect, but at least don't fair like that..
Then why is it that I never experience this against "average" Marth's? Maybe I don't play enough "average" players by these standards.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I'll be try to be brief.

The reason I think we're better is because when I watch Japanese play, I see elements of gameplay that we're already aware of. My eyes are some of the best for viewing smash at ALL levels of play (not just a high or top level) and I understand almost always why players make the decisions that they do. I think the top players in America are just better than the Japanese ones.

However, I also think the average player in America is absolutely terrible compared to what I think the average player should look like. I am really interested in getting more connected with the Japanese.

Oh, also, in regards to the beginning of the thread. I train with R00kie, the Fox main, as he's in my crew. He utilizes many of the tactics you spoke of (though I always do tell him to use more Nair) and I think you underestimate some of our better Foxes. Remember that there are still good players that don't get as much hype, just because they don't WIN tourneys with their characters. How many people have heard of Pink Fresh before he beat Ally and Boss in low tiers at Battle Royale II? Not me? Was he still a ground-breaking Lucas player before that fated time? Of course. How many people STILL don't know about Pink Fresh?

I do not mean to brag about my personal skill, but I have a very, very trained eye in this game to the point where I could make it a profession if there was a market for it. I can simply tell that our top players are better than theirs.

However, I'm interested on how good their AVERAGE player is. To 95%+ of the community, this is what should concern you. Most of you aren't going to beat 9B just because you're American, because the fact is, even though we say Brawl is simple, and on paper we have astounding mastery of MK and Brawl, the average player is just extremely lacking in terms of pattern recognition, reading, technical skill, spacing and zoning concepts and ability, game physics knowledge, and almost every core skill needed to play. In fact, the only skill that seems to be common is basic follow up recognition, and that's why everyone STILL airdodges nearly two years in.

Before anyone tries to say that I'm being too harsh, I'll give some evidence to back this up.
Deliberate Powershielding non-projectile attacks is extremely uncommon for most people.
Traps evolve very slowly
I don't play ICs, and I bet most of you don't either. I bet you I can still get the first hit on most of you. The average person's spacing and zoning is terrible. I can cripple most players with my Mario still.
Most people still fail to successfully execute juggles. Most people can't even juggle my Ganondorf.
Most people, including myself, still average a minimum of two technical errors a STOCK. I know, because I can READ when people make a technical error.
Most people fail to set up optimal walls with the character they MAIN. Most people don't even realize that walls need mix-ups. Most people still don't seem to understand how to create a wall that also protects against dash into shield/powershield.
Most people still don't understand how to use full jump or crouch.
Most people know about pivot grabbing, but don't properly use it unless they have a tether character.
Most people, INCLUDING MANY PROS STILL RECOVER INCORRECTLY.

Honestly, I don't even think I'm that good at the game. I just have a solid mastery of the basics, and outstanding amounts of memorized knowledge, and an impressive understanding of mechanics. In short, I'm good because I study and understand. Many of you who understand are too scared to even attempt to imply what you understand. I watch so many players pass up edge-guard opportunities because they are too scared to leave the stage, unable to realize how to safely edgeguard. Vertical spacing is a foreign concept to almost everyone (and no, it does not simply mean learning how to beat Dairs with Uairs.)

Honestly, the average player is just so disappointing. I expect every single person here to be able to do ALL of the things I just listed, but I have to applaud if you have mastery in just two of them, and those are just the basics. I don't expect people to understand how to set up perfect edge traps. I don't expect people to understand how to set up level 3, and level 4 traps. I don't expect people to have the reflexes of a spartan. I don't even expect the average player to have a good set or understanding of mindgames. But after playing the game for a YEAR, I do expect people to incorporate certain stuff into their game, and I'm just so generally disappointed when looking at the progress of people. The number of subpar options chosen, versus optimal ones that can be learned just from watching the right videos is pathetic, especially when watching so many top level pattern replication poorly used, because of the lack of understanding.

I'm an extremely interested to know how good the average player in Japan is. Everyone says America is so good. Good compared to other people? I guess. I think there are very few people who are good at this game. I expect the average player to be good. Not great. Not extraordinary, but at least good. Unfortunately, it's not the case. There's always your new guy, or that guy who just doesn't get it. You all know them. The R1 easy win that might as well be a bye for whatever top player he gets paired up against. Still, by R2 in winners bracket, things should get interested. Half the players just got knocked into losers. It's time to cut the crap. Still, R2 is pretty easy for some reason, and smash tourneys don't even get interesting until R3.

My MK is okay. It can beat most people, and I'm decent at the ditto. Still, I shouldn't be able to utterly wreck 90% of the country with it, but I can. Failure to respond to the BASIC patterns and options of the MOST POPULAR CHARACTER, over an entire YEAR since the game came out is pretty bad. I'm not talking about when I properly set up traps, using dtilt, or other such tools. But, simple stuff like getting hit by frame 3 Ftilt still on 3, 2, 1, Go! instead of shielding the obvious swings is ridiculous.

Am I wrong for having such 'high' expectations of people, in what everyone seems to consider an "easy and simple" game?

EDIT: Failed at being brief. TL;DR: You're bad and you should feel bad, so stop pointing fingers at the Japanese, and saying that players much better than you could beat other players much better than you.

I love you pierce.

Honestly, I find it crazy how pretty much nobody even thinks about vertical spacing, people wonder why you fullhop, and I wonder why nobody fullhops.

Honestly if our "average" player met your standards... well, then I would feel like our average player sucked because they can't even deal with their opponents juggling, zoning, spacing, powershielding, etc (if that makes sense to you. It makes sense in my head).

I mean, I fully understand what position I want to be in during a match. I know which positions are bad, and which are good. But so does my opponent. We're both trying to avoid those bad positions and get in those good positions. We aren't both going to be spacing perfectly and setting up great traps. We aren't both going to be juggling each other left and right. One guy probably will, though. Or maybe he won't. Depends on how well his opponent DIs, spaces, etc.

Average players can't always space well, set up walls and traps, or juggle their opponents well because their opponent doesn't let them. It's a two-way thing here. Maybe it's not my spacing that's bad, but my opponents spacing is better. That will always be the case, in fact.

The thing is, average players should be able to.

Average denotes a mediocore level of ability, which means (or at least should mean) a fairly high level of play with an understanding of zoning, spacing, a reasonable amount of technical ability, ect.

This shouldn't be restricted to the top level players, they should just be better at it.

That said, I'm a terrible player so...

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
But yes, I agree that our average player should be better. This includes me. But this is not always possible. I mean, I would love to get better at this game. The problem is that I only have one person to practice with, almost no money to travel with, and other life obligations. We can't all devote so much time to the game. We all don't have amazing players in our immediate area to practice with. If I had willing people to practice with, I would. As of now I have one: Palpi. You can only get so good from playing one person. Yes, I go to tournaments, but not enough apparently. I need to start hosting more, haha.
If you have legit johns, then you have legit johns, there's nothing you can do about that. I haven't had a wii for about a year now and I'm too busy to go to tourneys very often at all...so even though I'm still ungodly amazing at this game, there are reasons for me not being the greatest evar.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Not to troll be Matador's John> Your John.

Basically suck it up and just pratice. I suggest going to your regional thread and finding people near you in your state.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
If you have legit johns, then you have legit johns, there's nothing you can do about that. I haven't had a wii for about a year now and I'm too busy to go to tourneys very often at all...so even though I'm still ungodly amazing at this game, there are reasons for me not being the greatest evar.
Legit johns or not, I should be better than I am. There are people who came into this game out of nowhere with very little practice and still are extremely good at it. Anyone remember Max? Ice Climber player who has been to only one tournament before, rarely plays the game. Came to a NJ tournament, got first.

The thing is, average players should be able to.

Average denotes a mediocore level of ability, which means (or at least should mean) a fairly high level of play with an understanding of zoning, spacing, a reasonable amount of technical ability, ect.

This shouldn't be restricted to the top level players, they should just be better at it.

That said, I'm a terrible player so...
Yes, but I feel that average players should also know how to counter these things. If anything, an average player should know how to be effectively defensive before any of this. If anything, an average player should know how to not get juggled, etc. If you're getting juggled to death, I think that's more your lack of skill then your opponents skill.

Not to troll be Matador's John> Your John.

Basically suck it up and just pratice. I suggest going to your regional thread and finding people near you in your state.
Please, don't suggest me dumb things, haha. I'm not stupid, of course I've searched for other nearby players.

The closest people to me are at least an hour away. I'm not driving over an hour to practice Brawl. I love the game and all... but, no. Not going to happen. I only travel that far for tournaments.

If anything, I'm just going to start hosting more tournaments (if I can find a better venue).

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Like I said, he's right to an extent. I think his views on the average player is a little exaggerated.

The average player doesn't suck. The average player is average. Are there a lot of scrubs? Sure. But this implies that there are an equal amount of people who are ****** these players, thus making them qualify as bad.

Then why is it that I never experience this against "average" Marth's? Maybe I don't play enough "average" players by these standards.
I dont know lol.

Ledger_Damayn

Smash Ace
Why do people keep quoting his ridiculously long post...

And whoever mentioned innovation... I think that is partially incorrect. The game is largely already mastered as far as the community is concerned. It is then up to the players to use the tools that have been discovered to win games. No one innovates anymore, they just use their sense of resourcefulness to get the job done.

Watching high level players is very useful, if not to copy their style completely, but to just figure out what situations different strategies work better in, etc.

IMO, it's a more attainable goal to mimic M2K's style than it is to completely surpass them...

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
Before anyone tries to say that I'm being too harsh, I'll give some evidence to back this up.
Deliberate Powershielding non-projectile attacks is extremely uncommon for most people.
Traps evolve very slowly
I don't play ICs, and I bet most of you don't either. I bet you I can still get the first hit on most of you. The average person's spacing and zoning is terrible. I can cripple most players with my Mario still.
Most people still fail to successfully execute juggles. Most people can't even juggle my Ganondorf.
Most people, including myself, still average a minimum of two technical errors a STOCK. I know, because I can READ when people make a technical error.
Most people fail to set up optimal walls with the character they MAIN. Most people don't even realize that walls need mix-ups. Most people still don't seem to understand how to create a wall that also protects against dash into shield/powershield.
Most people still don't understand how to use full jump or crouch.
Most people know about pivot grabbing, but don't properly use it unless they have a tether character.
Most people, INCLUDING MANY PROS STILL RECOVER INCORRECTLY.
I think the reason the average player doesn't know these things is because its not right out there. There aren't any posts on swf talking about traps, walls including mix-ups, etc. They show up here and there, but not enough for the average player to understand the importance. Also such things can't be easily observed by the average player when watching pros play. I think a project (similar to this, but with less fail) should be started. Honestly it'd be more useful than another tier list or anything else the SBR does.

Kaffei

Smash Hero

And whoever mentioned innovation... I think that is partially incorrect. The game is largely already mastered as far as the community is concerned. It is then up to the players to use the tools that have been discovered to win games. No one innovates anymore, they just use their sense of resourcefulness to get the job done.

Watching high level players is very useful, if not to copy their style completely, but to just figure out what situations different strategies work better in, etc.

IMO, it's a more attainable goal to mimic M2K's style than it is to completely surpass them...

Mew2King said:
Meta-Kirby
-What could you say to those of us who long to be in your position, and are trying to get better at Smash? Any training tips?

M2K: I'm not sure, just try to be smart and have good technical skill. I really don't know what to say if you can't play smart though, unless all you guys want to do is copy. Sorry
lol .

laki

Smash Apprentice
Fox is a solid character with a few really pathetically bad matchups (lol@Sheik). He's only low on the tier lists because no one plays him.

Perhaps they play more mechanically in Japan, but the high level Brawl metagame in America is highly dependent on prediction and mindgaming to get anything accomplished at all, since some characters have absolutely complete defensive options (i.e. Wario's airdodge, characters who can plank, desynched IC's Blizzard).
This is interesting because when I was on Sirlins forums, someone said basically the same thing regarding japan/american styles in Street Fighter.

Japan tends to Solid strats while Americans tend to play a more high risk/high reward game. Copy pasting now:

Footsies are rather 'unstable' strategies. You're using habits of your opponent and their strategy against them with a mix of spacing, knowledge and yomi. Theres some consistency between matchups with some footsie strategies, but how you execute them are up to how you read your opponent and your own experience.

It's said that the Japanese have relatively weak footsies compared to American players on average and I think if you look at the two play styles, you can see why. Japanese players try not to take risks and advanced footsies engagements are more risky and uncertain. American players seem to embrace these risky, aggressive strategies and are more willing to engage in footsies. Of course this is only generally speaking. There are Japanese players with excellent footsies and defensive players with excellent footsies.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?

Perhaps it's more attainable, especially if you're playing a character like MK who's been pretty much explored, but trying to be like them as your ultimate goal is silly. I understand if you're just starting out or have hit a wall in your development and look to inspirational and generally better players for answers, but if you're not exploring your character and the game, then you'll have a hard time placing first amongst people who know everything that everyone else knows.

I'm not talking about LOOKING to discover new ICs chaingrabs or some new Ganon infinite...that's GIMR's job (lolMD/VArawks), but to find out what moves work best against what characters at which stage of their recovery (Mario's Nair during ZSS' downB near the stage on Battlefield?), what works against what styles, how to pressure and space against certain PLAYERS, perfecting your powershield the timing of attacks, and simply striving to become equipped for any and every possible circumstance is what I mean by innovation. Just thinking outside the box to improve rather than mimicking what the better players do.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
@ Melo

You said my views are exaggerated, but then you exaggerated what I said. I didn't say I expected everyone to have perfect spacing, but I expect people to have good spacing, and right now the average player's spacing is bad. I win so many matches on just outspacing my opponent ALONE, with no mindgames or traps.

I didn't say that you have to have perfect reads and juggles, and never let your opponent hit the ground, but you should be able to reset my Snake into the air a couple of times in the row with MOST characters. Learning basic traps at LEAST is SUPER important for extremely hard MUs like Snake who is easily juggled, and NEEDS to be juggled. Most players cannot do this, and my Snake's airgame is BAD. (Yes, I play Snake)

I didn't say "powershield all attacks" but most people make no attempts to even powershield Lucario's fsmash, Peach or Ike's Fair, or other moves that are CRITICAL for BREAKING THOSE CHARACTERS ENTIRELY APART. Have you learned to reflexively act when you hear the powershield sound? DO YOU EVEN KNOW WHAT POWERSHIELDING DOES?!! Most people do not know that you STILL experience shieldstun when you powershield, and it simply ELIMINATES SHIELD PUSHBACK and REDUCES SHIELD DROP TIME (I think shield drops on frame 1 if you powershield, as opposed to frame 7, but I'm not asking you to know that, even though it's pretty important). That's all. Grabbing out of powershield is NOT faster than grabbing out of regular shield (though it's better because you don't get pushed back, so you remain in grab range.) This also goes for Usmash or UpB OOS.

I never said the average player should be godlike, nor do I expect people to have my level of knowledge, or a supreme level of skill and gameplay. The stuff I listed should be basic stuff that you should know how to do if you consider yourself competent at the game. I don't use myself as the standard, I consider myself above average. I'm even saying be as good as me. But honestly, someone at my skill level should have to try harder than I do.

Average players should know how to do a lot of things they don't know how to do. They are average, but the average is bad. The average American sucks at Geography. Sure, they're average, that doesn't make them not bad. Same goes for Brawl.

I'm not even going to go into the idea that average players should probably switch to a tournament viable character. Perhaps I will open up a new thread.

Anyway, to shift back on topic, I'll start talking about the concept of Americans and our footsies.

I disagree. I think Americans AND Japanese are very camp oriented. However, we have quite different styles of camping. Furthermore, American game-play is more TRAP oriented than camp oriented.

The main mentality of American gameplay, represented in it's peak by M2k is as follows.

"If I use a move that generates pressure, I will put you in disadvantage by limiting your safe and viable options, and maintaining my own. This puts me from neutral to advantage. If I can do this better than you can, I will win the match."

This is the key to all traps, and it highlights both the offensive and defense aspects of all top level American play. We poke at each other with safe moves, that create traps, and then we take advantage and destroy opponents. Due to MK's power, and M2k's influence, top level play is extremely K.O. oriented. My personal playstyle flow chart goes something like this ->

If in neutral, assume position to apply pressure. Once in advantage, get opponent in air or offstage. Once opponent is in air, force them to grab the edge, and don't let them land. Once on edge or offstage, maintain advantage. If offstage, apply appropriate pressure to remove the stock.

Through this method, I land extremely quick K.O.s on characters not named MK. I'm currently trying to refine my style so that on average I can K.O. my opponent in 7 attacks. Of course, I don't play perfectly, but this flowchart of offensive pressure allows me to win.

From what I've seen from top level Japanese play seems to be this mentality:

"If I attack with only the safest options possible every time, I will greatly minimize damage to myself. If my health isn't depleted before my opponents, I will win the match."

It is extremely contrasting from American play. We think in terms of, "Advantage, Neutral, Disadvantage" regarding stage positioning. They merely think of remaining safe all the time.

I personally think American style is more advanced, because we have incorporated remaining safe into our traps. However, I would not be surprised to see that we would find it extremely difficult to trap the Japanese players. Since our style revolves around trapping, and theirs revolves around staying safe, we find ourselves at an interesting clash, which is why I'm so fascinated with collecting more information on the Japanese style even though I consider it more basic and slightly inferior.

I think that head to head, our style would prevail. The strategy is not necessarily superior by default, but head to head, trapping wins. Players proficient in trapping will have faced camping, and be prepared to either camp back, which is simple to do, or break the walls, which is also simple for characters like MK with amazing attack power. Additionally, being skilled at 'footsies' is superior in a game like Brawl, since powershielding is so amazing at neutralizing most projectiles in this game. Also, unlike other fighters, the projectiles in this game are dynamic, blocking is offensively viable, and characters can severely outcamp each other, often forcing an approach. In SF, not engaging in footsies can be wise, since maintaining a wall is not only simple, but it's pretty universal. In Brawl, well timed dash in shields can break most mid-level walls.

Although I'm well aware that the video of 9B and Rain was not their typical match, I feel it is a good representation of the style the Japanese hold, and made it easier to interpret their mentalities. Their option choices of how to deal with grenades and basic movement reveals many things about the way they make decisions.

One might speculate that two players of similar camping ability would wrack up damage at a similar pace. However, successfully landing one trap can result in a lot of damage. It could also be theorized that one skilled in the American style is likely to land at least one trap, which leads to an advantageous position, something we are skilled at maintaining, and overall more successful at scoring K.O.s which lets us ultimately win the match.

In conclusion, our American trapping style seems to be superior to the Japanese safety style because of our ability to score K.O.s while remaining safe. However, I will admit that M2k's camping strategies in many MUs, especially using Dair walls, seems like an blend of both styles, which is probably why it's so effective. Still, this merely reinforces my point, as m2k is an American player.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Pierce:

First of all, yes I exaggerated. I exaggerated your exaggeration. That's how amazing I am. At exaggerating, I mean.

Second:

I didn't say "powershield all attacks" but most people make no attempts to even powershield Lucario's fsmash, Peach or Ike's Fair, or other moves that are CRITICAL for BREAKING THOSE CHARACTERS ENTIRELY APART. Have you learned to reflexively act when you hear the powershield sound? DO YOU EVEN KNOW WHAT POWERSHIELDING DOES?!! Most people do not know that you STILL experience shieldstun when you powershield, and it simply ELIMINATES SHIELD PUSHBACK and REDUCES SHIELD DROP TIME (I think shield drops on frame 1 if you powershield, as opposed to frame 7, but I'm not asking you to know that, even though it's pretty important). That's all. Grabbing out of powershield is NOT faster than grabbing out of regular shield (though it's better because you don't get pushed back, so you remain in grab range.) This also goes for Usmash or UpB OOS.
I hope this isn't actually directed at me personally, because yes, I do fully understand powershielding and how to react on it. It's something I hope everyone knows who plays this game competitively.

Finally, and most importantly:

What do you base this off of? Videos? Local tournaments? Because I'm getting the feeling that me and you are experiencing two very different things. Your description of an average player sounds like an average scrub to me. And that's saying a lot, because I'm terrible at this game. I'm bad at this game, but I'm not dumb. I can tell when my opponent is good or bad. But I really base almost everything off of what I have experienced, which is the tristate tournament scene. I feel like every average player here is way above and beyond what you're describing. So I ask again, what do you base the average player on? This is a legitimate question, because I have not traveled, so you may know much more than me. Is it videos? Other areas? This area? I'm going to take your word on whatever you say, since you are a much more experienced player than I.

I mean, how do you feel about the average NJ tournament-goer? Because that's basically what I base the average player off of.

Basically, if I felt that the average player was as you describe, I would whole-heatedly agree. But it's like... even nameless people that I've played around here don't have these bad habits like you describe. I friendly a completely random Marth at a tournament, and he knows better than to f-air over my head.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Pierce:

First of all, yes I exaggerated. I exaggerated your exaggeration. That's how amazing I am. At exaggerating, I mean.

Second:

I hope this isn't actually directed at me personally, because yes, I do fully understand powershielding and how to react on it. It's something I hope everyone knows who plays this game competitively.

Finally, and most importantly:

What do you base this off of? Videos? Local tournaments? Because I'm getting the feeling that me and you are experiencing two very different things. Your description of an average player sounds like an average scrub to me. And that's saying a lot, because I'm terrible at this game. I'm bad at this game, but I'm not dumb. I can tell when my opponent is good or bad. But I really base almost everything off of what I have experienced, which is the tristate tournament scene. I feel like every average player here is way above and beyond what you're describing. So I ask again, what do you base the average player on? This is a legitimate question, because I have not traveled, so you may know much more than me. Is it videos? Other areas? This area? I'm going to take your word on whatever you say, since you are a much more experienced player than I.

I mean, how do you feel about the average NJ tournament-goer? Because that's basically what I base the average player off of.

Basically, if I felt that the average player was as you describe, I would whole-heatedly agree. But it's like... even nameless people that I've played around here don't have these bad habits like you describe. I friendly a completely random Marth at a tournament, and he knows better than to f-air over my head.
The average player is a better than simply whiffing attacks, but you still seem to be sub-targeting my post, as opposed to not addressing what I said.

When I say "Average player" I base it off of everyone I encounter AND videos I watch. Overall opinion of people that I've viewed or played SSBB with.

If you look at the post in my thread, do you honestly feel I'm off the target regarding the specific things I listed?

The powershielding paragraph was not directed at you, although it was an advantage of something the average player does not know.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
DO YOU EVEN KNOW WHAT POWERSHIELDING DOES?!! Most people do not know that you STILL experience shieldstun when you powershield, and it simply ELIMINATES SHIELD PUSHBACK and REDUCES SHIELD DROP TIME (I think shield drops on frame 1 if you powershield, as opposed to frame 7, but I'm not asking you to know that, even though it's pretty important). That's all. Grabbing out of powershield is NOT faster than grabbing out of regular shield (though it's better because you don't get pushed back, so you remain in grab range.) This also goes for Usmash or UpB OOS.
Actually, you're wrong, but I have to admit I had to do some testing to verify this. Indeed, shield pushback is heavily reduced (not completely eliminated, since powershielding can still cause you to fall off a ledge, even from a projectile) and shieldstun still remains. However, shield drop time is NOT reduced, and what actually happens is that shieldLAG is heavily reduced as well. So, while you still experience all the shieldstun of the attack, you're still able to do things like unshield, grab, and whatever that much faster from a powershield - especially against things like Zelda's fsmash, which have massive shieldlag per hit.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
The average player is a better than simply whiffing attacks, but you still seem to be sub-targeting my post, as opposed to not addressing what I said.

When I say "Average player" I base it off of everyone I encounter AND videos I watch. Overall opinion of people that I've viewed or played SSBB with.

If you look at the post in my thread, do you honestly feel I'm off the target regarding the specific things I listed?

The powershielding paragraph was not directed at you, although it was an advantage of something the average player does not know.
Yes, I am sub-targeting your posts, because I don't disagree with it all.

I definitely don't think your off on all of it - like I said, I agree with much of it. But some things, juggling for instance, I feel are a little off. I mean I feel that I'm an average player, and I get plenty of juggles in on almost every Snake or Marth I've played (that sounds awkward). I see "average" players juggling opponents effectively plenty. I see "average" players spacing well, too. It's hard to go into specifics for some of the others things you listed, since I feel like it's more of a as-you-play type of thing. Hard to explain.

I guess it's just me and you have different standards for "average player." It could be because you have experienced more regions than I. My sample size is smaller, so my idea of average is different.

To sum it up: if the average player is indeed how you describe, I completely agree.

Oh, I hope nothing I'm saying comes off as rude or anything, because I really do respect you as a person and a player.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
P in general the reason you're upset is because no on has decided to go and explain what you said should be happening to the character specific, and the select few pick up on this by themselves and move on without giving knowledge and this pushes the average player lower than it's supposed to be.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Actually, you're wrong, but I have to admit I had to do some testing to verify this. Indeed, shield pushback is heavily reduced (not completely eliminated, since powershielding can still cause you to fall off a ledge, even from a projectile) and shieldstun still remains. However, shield drop time is NOT reduced, and what actually happens is that shieldLAG is heavily reduced as well. So, while you still experience all the shieldstun of the attack, you're still able to do things like unshield, grab, and whatever that much faster from a powershield - especially against things like Zelda's fsmash, which have massive shieldlag per hit.
I was aware that you still experience minor amounts of shield push (observed by powershielding still resulting in pushing you onto the ledge) but the rest of the stuff you said was merely a theory I once thought but dismissed because it was merely less likely unlikely (though I shouldn't really try to predict the way Sakurai thinks so much.) Since I don't have godly tools to measure stuff, or play frame by frame, I basically judge stuff based off experience and testing, which leads me to inaccurate conclusions sometime. Thanks for clearing that up. Oh, and naturally powershielding also has other properties, such as shield regeneration I believe (I didn't test this myself, but it surely does not reduce your shield.)

@ Melo

From what I've observed, the way a lot of players seem to function is that they simply incorporate effective patterns into their play. Now, while ALL players incorporate new patterns in their play based off experience, many of them lack understanding, and cannot rapidly do this, or modify their game on the fly because they don't grasp how it works.

Also, I'm not saying everyone's spacing is trash. But I expect players to be more potent than they currently are at this point in the metagame. When I play, sometimes I get frustrated because I always find myself expecting my opponents to make smart decisions, but end up three stocking them when I just bank on them making poor ones often, instead of trying to anticipate intelligent options more frequently found in higher level play. While this is naturally a subset of reading ability, players still suffer because of a lack of overall poor decisions.

For example: in a Marth ditto, if both players are at low percents, and one Marth Fairs another, then the damaged Marth will escape hitstun and be able to retaliate with a Fair of their own, before the offender can follow up with a second swing. Because of this, experienced Marth's such as myself tend hit and then defend, retreat, or reset if we connect a rising fair at these percents. However, against the average Marth player, I find myself able to just plow on with strings of Fairs, and connects stupid strings that don't really exist, sometimes sheerly through overwhelming the opponent with speed. I don't feel like the average player should be overwhelmed by Marth's speed, even if he's playing at max speed. Not THIS FAR into the metagame. Yes, perhaps 6 months in, if I had the efficiency that I do now, I would be devestating. I think we should have been past that for quite a while now though.

Melo, nothing you've said has upset or offended me.

@ Iblis

I'm not upset really, just stating how I feel about the underdevelopment of the metagame in terms of the average person. We like to toot our horn about how developed the American metagame is, but it's only a very select few, while most players still don't quite have it.

When I train people, one exercise I like to do is practice spacing simply by only using one spacing tool with Marth and my shield, and making them explain why either I or them got hit every time one connects, to make sure they understand why they're getting hit.

In general, if I ask a player why they got hit, they can't explain it to me properly.

Aposl

Smash Ace
there icies there must stink because Icies reverse grab grabs people out of the air. It doesn't matter if they auto-cancel

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
For example: in a Marth ditto, if both players are at low percents, and one Marth Fairs another, then the damaged Marth will escape hitstun and be able to retaliate with a Fair of their own, before the offender can follow up with a second swing. Because of this, experienced Marth's such as myself tend hit and then defend, retreat, or reset if we connect a rising fair at these percents. However, against the average Marth player, I find myself able to just plow on with strings of Fairs, and connects stupid strings that don't really exist, sometimes sheerly through overwhelming the opponent with speed. I don't feel like the average player should be overwhelmed by Marth's speed, even if he's playing at max speed. Not THIS FAR into the metagame. Yes, perhaps 6 months in, if I had the efficiency that I do now, I would be devestating. I think we should have been past that for quite a while now though.
I guess I'm just looking at this and reading it as if I am the average player. Well, without going into it, in tournament play I am below-average (can't play under pressure johns). And personally, that kind of stuff with Marth doesn't really work on me. I struggle with other aspects of Marth, but outside of the occasional get-juggled-by-Marth's-massive-sword, I really don't fall for that kind of stuff. In other words: I, a below-average player, do not get plowed by aggro Marth's (in fact, being a Diddy main, that could often turn out to be quite the opposite). So that's where my disagreement comes from.

Then again, this kind of thing is more match-up inexperience than poor game play. But then on your defense, an average player shouldn't fall for that kind of stuff more than once or twice in a set. Perhaps it's the adapting that's an issue. I can see that.

I just picked this paragraph out because I agree with the others.
Yeah, I get paranoid about offending people. So I try to be careful, haha. Never want to come off as, or be, a jerk.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Interesting, I always wondered this, this might explain one of my theories.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
Shmot, you said you're coming back February? It's my hope you will have adopted much of Japan's metagame by then so wherever you go after that you'll be able to display it where it can be recorded (btw, no one there has recording equipment? :ohwell:)

And to be honest, I may actually be willing to read one of those "Interview Topic" things they have here if maybe whoever runs it would be willing to let you do it as you translate questions and answers between us and whoever is considered most developed over there.

somethin'
Your avatar........ you have good taste ;)

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
@ Ankoku.

It's interesting you said that, because I forgot that my studies just recently taught me what you just said. Some of my friends were messing around with damage scaling on Brawl minus and were teaching me that damage directly affects shieldstun which is not affected by perfect shielding. I'm told that if you powershield Ganon's Warlock Punch when it's raised to deal 60% and OHKO every character, Ganon will suffer enormous recoil (as expected) but also that you'll be trapped in shield so long that he can recover to the stage, and use another Warlock Punch to instantly shatter your shield while you're still trapped in shield. That disproved my previous theory on how powershielding had worked, but I had thought that way for so long, I had forgotten this.

Clai

Smash Lord
Where men are born and champions are raised
Pierce, you probably should keep in mind that the average player probably doesn't have the experience in most matchups to properly apply things that you expect from them, such as powershielding character's attacks intentionally. The average player likely doesn't go to tournaments that often, and even then, they probably only get the chance to play a certain set of characters. I, for example, hadn't played a Pikachu in 10 months before November's DSO Tournament, and pools in APEX were the first time I played a Dedede ever (14 months after the game came out). Stuff like spacing in certain matchups is a thing that can only be obtained through experience, and the average player likely lacks any of that.

Also, New Theory on why Pit is A-tier in Japan:

Angel Ring makes people rage-quit.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
I'm not upset really, just stating how I feel about the underdevelopment of the metagame in terms of the average person. We like to toot our horn about how developed the American metagame is, but it's only a very select few, while most players still don't quite have it.

When I train people, one exercise I like to do is practice spacing simply by only using one spacing tool with Marth and my shield, and making them explain why either I or them got hit every time one connects, to make sure they understand why they're getting hit.

In general, if I ask a player why they got hit, they can't explain it to me properly.
In the Blazblue discussion, I ph00tbag has already covered the reason why our average metagame is so low.

Brawl is bad for reasons completely unrelated to its technical difficulty. It is bad for concrete reasons resulting from an engine that isn't conducive to entertaining competitive play.

I think, Afro, you are misinterpreting the nature of technical difficulty. Any video game, sport, business market, or other competitive environment has some kind of learning curve involved with participating successfully in that arena. This curve does little more than set a technical baseline for success. You need to understand that this baseline is completely arbitrary, and serves only to provide a filter on viable entrants into a competitive field.

So what happens when your filter is very broad? Well, you just get a lot of viable entrants. The issue here comes from game theory, which makes the accurate claim that the chances of one of these viable entrants achieving success decreases with the number of viable entrants. Case in point: Brawl. This is actually a very difficult community, because the baseline of technical ability is so low, so the chances of one player winning is also lower. But it's worth mentioning, that with the lowered chance of winning, the higher number of viable entrants also brings greater success to the winning entrant. High risk, high reward. If Brawl weren't a bad game, there would be absolutely nothing wrong with this.

What if the filter is very high, that is to say, there is a very high baseline technical ability necessary to win? Well, you can actually run into problems here. With a high baseline comes a low number of viable entrants. Of course, for those who meet the baseline, this means they have a higher chance of winning, but for those who don't, and have zero chance of winning as a result, they would only enter with the hope of gaining valuable experience. Ultimately, we reach the conclusion that this is a low risk, low reward scenario.

Add in the cost-benefit analysis, and it becomes more complex. Reaching the baseline requires a certain amount of time. When you get down to it, a game with a low baseline is low cost, high risk, high reward, and a game with a high baseline is high cost, low risk, low reward. Ultimately, it comes down to what you value.

I don't really find either to be a desirable situation. There's no balance in either of them. Certainly the technically difficult games are more fun to watch, but I don't have the time to devote to becoming a dedicated player of them. Alternately, high risk, high reward is a dangerous game, and the playing of it is really what led to the housing market crash in 2008. I'd rather seek a middle ground. Blazblue is a game with a certain technical baseline: you have to learn the mechanics of the game and learn certain character specific mechanics and combos if you want to be successful. On the other hand, you don't have to become adept at several inputs per second on a regular basis just to be a viable entrant.

Notice that nowhere in my breakdown have I made a judgment as the value of a game, or its competitiveness. The value of a game is based on its capacity to consistently bring enjoyment to its players within its stated boundaries. In many respects, Brawl is a good game, because it is not even meant to be played competitively, and it's actually really fun if you don't take it seriously. Ultimately, value judgments are the most meaningless of judgments you can give a game since they are almost purely subjective when taken on an individual basis.

The competitiveness of a game, or any field, really, is based on the number of viable entrants, and the relative viability of those entrants. It is based on nothing else. If a field has only one viable entrant, it is not competitive. Alternately, if a field has many viable entrants, but one of those entrants is many levels above the rest, the field is still not highly competitive. A field with many entrants of equal viability is competitive.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
That's one reason amongst many. It also has to do with the lack of competative nature of the players, and how they perceive themselves, and their ability to win. The average person doesn't seem to see themselves ever reaching the top. I got this far, because I thought I'd get this far, tried to get this far, and BAM, I'm here. Most players accept their positions, while using the WRONG STRATEGIES to get better.

Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect. This is why when I train people, it consists of more than just playing matches, but making sure understanding is there.

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
Pierce, if I move to NJ will you teach me how to beat M2KAlly?
Snake's a harder match up for sheik. mk's easy

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
That's one reason amongst many. It also has to do with the lack of competative nature of the players, and how they perceive themselves, and their ability to win. The average person doesn't seem to see themselves ever reaching the top. I got this far, because I thought I'd get this far, tried to get this far, and BAM, I'm here. Most players accept their positions, while using the WRONG STRATEGIES to get better.

Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect. This is why when I train people, it consists of more than just playing matches, but making sure understanding is there.
And that's why I need to train with you.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion

I have to admit, this is very true (for me at least).

I came into this competitive scene wanting to be respectable, but not the best. Maybe I need to change my mind set if I want to improve.

...wasn't this thread about Japan or something?
...eh... who cares.

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
Japan was doing almost everything wrong when making their Tier List. Until every character is shown at the absolute peak of their metagame COMPARED w/ other characters we shouldn't get another list either.

Top Bottom