• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The State of Brawl in Japan: 3rd Update 14/02/10

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
No man, Japanese Ice Climbers are completely incapable of grabbing people on their vulnerable landing frames in Japan, b/c their Japanese opponents can press buttons and cancel any and all landing lag that is programmed in and thus actually unavoidable (unless you are Japanese).

Also, the IC players don't move.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Im am really confused why Ganon is at the top of F tier. everything he does is so easy to punish.
Well then the Ganon just has to do nothing.

Do nothing -> No openings.

Ultimate mindrape. :o

Then he does utilt. Utilt is safe on everything anyone does.

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNv5b6dWO78&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxmy_U9QDKo&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwsMiWZIrn8&feature=related

These are the best videos of a Ness player i could find.(it's a set) They don't do anything real different with him, other then use pk fire alot more. And he ducks under falcos lazers. Check out his channel he has alot of good, recent videos.

Also a Fox vs Olimar match i found.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vobF_j9PaUI

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
No, I'm just saying that it's difficult to compare players from here and Japan because of this difference in overall playstyle.
By virtue of playing the same game, if a US/JP relation is ever solidified, play styles will eventually clash and a generalization will be made of who wins more often than whom. But hopefully our countries can integrate from each other and blur the line between us.

actually when i was trying to cg people, theyd look me in the eyes and tell me how beautiful i was. kinda really difficult to ignore completely. but i practiced cgs while laughing anyway :)
wtf that's legit lol

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
I agree with Luigi's position on this list.
Hey it's SAL, havn't heard from ya in while

But i don't agree with Luigi's position >_<.

Now i wanna go to Japan and **** the living **** in low tier tourneys with Luigi :D

Melancholy

Smash Ace
Hey Attila,

Whats the general feeling towards G&W over there?

Can you find out the reasons for his position on their tier list?

Have you played any good Japanese G&W's and how do they compare to other G&W's you've played?

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QijsuAnngSY

Best match in the history of ever.

They were never flashier than us. Watch some Rain matches. They've developed new forms of gay the like we've never even dreamed of. :\

Hell, notice the timer? That's 10 freaking minutes. That alone should tell you about how they play.

They were never flashier than us. Watch some Rain matches. They've developed new forms of gay the like we've never even dreamed of. :\

Hell, notice the timer? That's 10 freaking minutes. That alone should tell you about how they play.
Do peope honestly think that is how they play all the time? It's simply one match of hundreds. I think this match was more of a gimmick than anything. I mean, if you watch other videos of Rain he camps pretty hardcore, but not this much all the time.

Splice

Smash Hero
Hey Attila,

Have you played any good Japanese G&W's and how do they compare to other G&W's you've played?

Yeah this. I can imagine them either having very similair metagame, because GaW can be very simple, but at high levels of play in Japan i'd expect some pretty cool stuff.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Do peope honestly think that is how they play all the time? It's simply one match of hundreds. I think this match was more of a gimmick than anything. I mean, if you watch other videos of Rain he camps pretty hardcore, but not this much all the time.
If you took that post seriously, you just got trolled.

Ghnaschnakoff

Smash Journeyman
I'd like to know what they think of Diddy current/potential metagame. Whether they're like the majority of SWF and think that he deserves second or third on the tier list or he is just another top tier character with Wario and Marth etc.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
Hey Attila,

havent even seen any, but i will try and suss it out.

that match was freakin amazing. i hadnt seen it before, although i have played rain a couple of times. camps like a mofo.

I'd like to know what they think of Diddy current/potential metagame. Whether they're like the majority of SWF and think that he deserves second or third on the tier list or he is just another top tier character with Wario and Marth etc.
i talked to them about this already, and they definately dont think hes that high. he simple struggles too much with mk, falco and marth, and doesnt have significant advantages over any of the top tier characters. although i havent seen a really good diddy in japan yet.

Psychoace

Smash Champion
If you look carefully enough, you'll see a trend in this tier list. It's ranked from the characters who an easy time killing to the characters who have a hard time killing, but they've also added a couple of other factors in between.

Metaknight is obvious. No trouble killing whatsoever (killing includes gimping). Snake is another obvious one. Falco and Pit don't surprise me either, both these characters have the tools to play as defensive as possible, and their kill power is nothing to write home about. Marth, Fox, Wario, Diddy, all have good killing potential, and they all have their very own advanced 'tactic' which makes up for their not-so good killing potential (Marth with his great spacing, Fox with his intensive ability to rack up damage, Diddy with his Banana metagame, and Wario's great defensive play). King Dedede, Olimar, Game & Watch, Zelda/Shiek, Wolf and Zero Suit Samus can all kill quite easily.

Now, Ice Climbers, while they may have chain grabs, have a low killing potential, and their defensive play isn't that good either. Toon Link shares the same problem; his kill moves are quite obvious. Everyone in C Tier seems to share something in common, which is, having just one major attribute that doesn't make up for their other problems.

I gotta admit, I don't quite understand why Donkey Kong's down there, though everyone else in D Tier seem to be following where I'm going.

E tier, same thing. You could tell that these characters have some major issues in certain parts of their game play, and their killing potential isn't that good.

F tier has the characters who have an insane amount of trouble killing. Ganondorf seems to be in the lead just cause of the power each of his moves pack. Samus, Falcon & Sonic all have trouble killing. Jigglypuff seems to be the character who suffers the most because of her very weak killing power, along with it being very easy to kill her herself.

Falcon does not have trouble killing... damage racking maybe, but not killing. Also after watching samboner and razer at hobo 20 I have a new found respecet for fox, especially against snake.

Jigglypuff being worst is just wrong. She is not. Her edgeguarding game is above average and she can kill with a fresh fair or a rest. Captain falcon has none of these.
....Falcon can't kill with fair?

Anywho, have you ran into any falcons over there? Are they "flashy" or do they have a different play style?

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I said it before, and I'll say it again. Being Asian is not a freaking superpower. There is no real reason why the top players in Japan should be head and shoulders above the top players in America. They evidently play differently. "Better" or "worse" don't make sense in this context since the metagames are so different, one clearly needs to play differently to win in that scene.

If they were really perfect, matches would time out every match because they would predict and perfect shield every possible approach. In reality, such things as traps and mindgames do exist, and there are several situations in which IC's have a very good chance of scoring a grab if played correctly.
I'd have to disagree maybe being an Asian born American doesn't give you super powers. But those japanese players are ridiculous. In every video game pretty much.

swordgard

Smash Hero
I'd have to disagree maybe being an Asian born American doesn't give you super powers. But those japanese players are ridiculous. In every video game pretty much.
I call BS, everyone knows that to be a good ice climber player you need to be asian (Lain, Meep, Ambrose, etc, not sure if hylian is asian but il assume so if not he can blame his loses on this).

FunkMaster

Smash Journeyman
uh?

is falon's fair really a viable kill move?

but what the hell?

how does diddy kong "struggle" with most top/high tiers?

i thought he was just about even with most everyone? he "struggles" when he doesn't do any

worse then 60:40? what kinda garbage is that?

and just who is saying that america thinks they are the best at everything?

i'm pretty sure most people know that japan is the best at most arcade fighting games.

who is saying that america is the best at like GG or BB?

as far as i know, america is only tops at smash. and maybe first person shooters. i wouldn't know.

but there's no reason to think that just because it's the japanese that they are better the the U.S,

maybe at everything else, but this is smash. since when were people better because they have a

playstyle that looks "cooler?" or "flashier" LOLZ.

Ills

Smash Apprentice
Do people even play kirby over there? The one video I saw wasn't impressive or flashy or anything.

e: although I haven't watched or found many kirby matches.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
This thread in the beginning was productive now it's full of Japan vs. US stuff >.> (ingoring the agruements that have been on past pages.)

On the REAL topic: Hey you can interview YUI again and ask him his opinions on how fox should be played and what he can benefit from and what his huge disadvantges are. Thanks in advance because me and the Foxes would love to hear YUI's/any Japanese players view of the game since EU and AUS seem to follow us.

P.S. Hey I'm full born Japanese and never played ICs T.T maybe I should test my ICs superpower :)

Psychoace

Smash Champion
uh?

is falon's fair really a viable kill move?

as far as i know, america is only tops at smash. and maybe first person shooters. i wouldn't know.
Pretty sure Houston has Tekken on lock.

As for his fair yes, punishing and gimping. Granted it's not as useful as up air and bair but it has its place.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
I really want to hear what they have to say about American smash.

How do they feel their top players compare to ours? How do they feel about out tier list? All that kind of stuff.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
I'll be try to be brief.

The reason I think we're better is because when I watch Japanese play, I see elements of gameplay that we're already aware of. My eyes are some of the best for viewing smash at ALL levels of play (not just a high or top level) and I understand almost always why players make the decisions that they do. I think the top players in America are just better than the Japanese ones.

However, I also think the average player in America is absolutely terrible compared to what I think the average player should look like. I am really interested in getting more connected with the Japanese.

Oh, also, in regards to the beginning of the thread. I train with R00kie, the Fox main, as he's in my crew. He utilizes many of the tactics you spoke of (though I always do tell him to use more Nair) and I think you underestimate some of our better Foxes. Remember that there are still good players that don't get as much hype, just because they don't WIN tourneys with their characters. How many people have heard of Pink Fresh before he beat Ally and Boss in low tiers at Battle Royale II? Not me? Was he still a ground-breaking Lucas player before that fated time? Of course. How many people STILL don't know about Pink Fresh?

I do not mean to brag about my personal skill, but I have a very, very trained eye in this game to the point where I could make it a profession if there was a market for it. I can simply tell that our top players are better than theirs.

However, I'm interested on how good their AVERAGE player is. To 95%+ of the community, this is what should concern you. Most of you aren't going to beat 9B just because you're American, because the fact is, even though we say Brawl is simple, and on paper we have astounding mastery of MK and Brawl, the average player is just extremely lacking in terms of pattern recognition, reading, technical skill, spacing and zoning concepts and ability, game physics knowledge, and almost every core skill needed to play. In fact, the only skill that seems to be common is basic follow up recognition, and that's why everyone STILL airdodges nearly two years in.

Before anyone tries to say that I'm being too harsh, I'll give some evidence to back this up.
Deliberate Powershielding non-projectile attacks is extremely uncommon for most people.
Traps evolve very slowly
I don't play ICs, and I bet most of you don't either. I bet you I can still get the first hit on most of you. The average person's spacing and zoning is terrible. I can cripple most players with my Mario still.
Most people still fail to successfully execute juggles. Most people can't even juggle my Ganondorf.
Most people, including myself, still average a minimum of two technical errors a STOCK. I know, because I can READ when people make a technical error.
Most people fail to set up optimal walls with the character they MAIN. Most people don't even realize that walls need mix-ups. Most people still don't seem to understand how to create a wall that also protects against dash into shield/powershield.
Most people still don't understand how to use full jump or crouch.
Most people know about pivot grabbing, but don't properly use it unless they have a tether character.
Most people, INCLUDING MANY PROS STILL RECOVER INCORRECTLY.

Honestly, I don't even think I'm that good at the game. I just have a solid mastery of the basics, and outstanding amounts of memorized knowledge, and an impressive understanding of mechanics. In short, I'm good because I study and understand. Many of you who understand are too scared to even attempt to imply what you understand. I watch so many players pass up edge-guard opportunities because they are too scared to leave the stage, unable to realize how to safely edgeguard. Vertical spacing is a foreign concept to almost everyone (and no, it does not simply mean learning how to beat Dairs with Uairs.)

Honestly, the average player is just so disappointing. I expect every single person here to be able to do ALL of the things I just listed, but I have to applaud if you have mastery in just two of them, and those are just the basics. I don't expect people to understand how to set up perfect edge traps. I don't expect people to understand how to set up level 3, and level 4 traps. I don't expect people to have the reflexes of a spartan. I don't even expect the average player to have a good set or understanding of mindgames. But after playing the game for a YEAR, I do expect people to incorporate certain stuff into their game, and I'm just so generally disappointed when looking at the progress of people. The number of subpar options chosen, versus optimal ones that can be learned just from watching the right videos is pathetic, especially when watching so many top level pattern replication poorly used, because of the lack of understanding.

I'm an extremely interested to know how good the average player in Japan is. Everyone says America is so good. Good compared to other people? I guess. I think there are very few people who are good at this game. I expect the average player to be good. Not great. Not extraordinary, but at least good. Unfortunately, it's not the case. There's always your new guy, or that guy who just doesn't get it. You all know them. The R1 easy win that might as well be a bye for whatever top player he gets paired up against. Still, by R2 in winners bracket, things should get interested. Half the players just got knocked into losers. It's time to cut the crap. Still, R2 is pretty easy for some reason, and smash tourneys don't even get interesting until R3.

My MK is okay. It can beat most people, and I'm decent at the ditto. Still, I shouldn't be able to utterly wreck 90% of the country with it, but I can. Failure to respond to the BASIC patterns and options of the MOST POPULAR CHARACTER, over an entire YEAR since the game came out is pretty bad. I'm not talking about when I properly set up traps, using dtilt, or other such tools. But, simple stuff like getting hit by frame 3 Ftilt still on 3, 2, 1, Go! instead of shielding the obvious swings is ridiculous.

Am I wrong for having such 'high' expectations of people, in what everyone seems to consider an "easy and simple" game?

EDIT: Failed at being brief. TL;DR: You're bad and you should feel bad, so stop pointing fingers at the Japanese, and saying that players much better than you could beat other players much better than you.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Sounds like stereo typing to me. American's have the same amount of skill as the Japanese players or maybe even better. In japanese culture they put a lot of effort into working and schooling over there, therefore, they do not have enough time to play brawl. American's don't have as much time demanding school schedules and work schedules, for the most part. That's why the american's are more polished in playing this game.
I'd much rather be smart and educated than play Brawl 2340824903249237492374 hours a day even though I love Smash bros.

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
I'll be try to be brief.

The reason I think we're better is because when I watch Japanese play, I see elements of gameplay that we're already aware of. My eyes are some of the best for viewing smash at ALL levels of play (not just a high or top level) and I understand almost always why players make the decisions that they do. I think the top players in America are just better than the Japanese ones.

However, I also think the average player in America is absolutely terrible compared to what I think the average player should look like. I am really interested in getting more connected with the Japanese.

Oh, also, in regards to the beginning of the thread. I train with R00kie, the Fox main, as he's in my crew. He utilizes many of the tactics you spoke of (though I always do tell him to use more Nair) and I think you underestimate some of our better Foxes. Remember that there are still good players that don't get as much hype, just because they don't WIN tourneys with their characters. How many people have heard of Pink Fresh before he beat Ally and Boss in low tiers at Battle Royale II? Not me? Was he still a ground-breaking Lucas player before that fated time? Of course. How many people STILL don't know about Pink Fresh?

I do not mean to brag about my personal skill, but I have a very, very trained eye in this game to the point where I could make it a profession if there was a market for it. I can simply tell that our top players are better than theirs.

However, I'm interested on how good their AVERAGE player is. To 95%+ of the community, this is what should concern you. Most of you aren't going to beat 9B just because you're American, because the fact is, even though we say Brawl is simple, and on paper we have astounding mastery of MK and Brawl, the average player is just extremely lacking in terms of pattern recognition, reading, technical skill, spacing and zoning concepts and ability, game physics knowledge, and almost every core skill needed to play. In fact, the only skill that seems to be common is basic follow up recognition, and that's why everyone STILL airdodges nearly two years in.

Before anyone tries to say that I'm being too harsh, I'll give some evidence to back this up.
Deliberate Powershielding non-projectile attacks is extremely uncommon for most people.
Traps evolve very slowly
I don't play ICs, and I bet most of you don't either. I bet you I can still get the first hit on most of you. The average person's spacing and zoning is terrible. I can cripple most players with my Mario still.
Most people still fail to successfully execute juggles. Most people can't even juggle my Ganondorf.
Most people, including myself, still average a minimum of two technical errors a STOCK. I know, because I can READ when people make a technical error.
Most people fail to set up optimal walls with the character they MAIN. Most people don't even realize that walls need mix-ups. Most people still don't seem to understand how to create a wall that also protects against dash into shield/powershield.
Most people still don't understand how to use full jump or crouch.
Most people know about pivot grabbing, but don't properly use it unless they have a tether character.
Most people, INCLUDING MANY PROS STILL RECOVER INCORRECTLY.

Honestly, I don't even think I'm that good at the game. I just have a solid mastery of the basics, and outstanding amounts of memorized knowledge, and an impressive understanding of mechanics. In short, I'm good because I study and understand. Many of you who understand are too scared to even attempt to imply what you understand. I watch so many players pass up edge-guard opportunities because they are too scared to leave the stage, unable to realize how to safely edgeguard. Vertical spacing is a foreign concept to almost everyone (and no, it does not simply mean learning how to beat Dairs with Uairs.)

Honestly, the average player is just so disappointing. I expect every single person here to be able to do ALL of the things I just listed, but I have to applaud if you have mastery in just two of them, and those are just the basics. I don't expect people to understand how to set up perfect edge traps. I don't expect people to understand how to set up level 3, and level 4 traps. I don't expect people to have the reflexes of a spartan. I don't even expect the average player to have a good set or understanding of mindgames. But after playing the game for a YEAR, I do expect people to incorporate certain stuff into their game, and I'm just so generally disappointed when looking at the progress of people. The number of subpar options chosen, versus optimal ones that can be learned just from watching the right videos is pathetic, especially when watching so many top level pattern replication poorly used, because of the lack of understanding.

I'm an extremely interested to know how good the average player in Japan is. Everyone says America is so good. Good compared to other people? I guess. I think there are very few people who are good at this game. I expect the average player to be good. Not great. Not extraordinary, but at least good. Unfortunately, it's not the case. There's always your new guy, or that guy who just doesn't get it. You all know them. The R1 easy win that might as well be a bye for whatever top player he gets paired up against. Still, by R2 in winners bracket, things should get interested. Half the players just got knocked into losers. It's time to cut the crap. Still, R2 is pretty easy for some reason, and smash tourneys don't even get interesting until R3.

My MK is okay. It can beat most people, and I'm decent at the ditto. Still, I shouldn't be able to utterly wreck 90% of the country with it, but I can. Failure to respond to the BASIC patterns and options of the MOST POPULAR CHARACTER, over an entire YEAR since the game came out is pretty bad. I'm not talking about when I properly set up traps, using dtilt, or other such tools. But, simple stuff like getting hit by frame 3 Ftilt still on 3, 2, 1, Go! instead of shielding the obvious swings is ridiculous.

Am I wrong for having such 'high' expectations of people, in what everyone seems to consider an "easy and simple" game?
/American brawl competitive community.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I read it all because you play Mario Pierce. That should show you how deep our bond goes.

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
In seriousness. Pierce...... WHY DID YOU POST THIS HERE?! Its an extremely relevant, amazing post that should have its own topic so it can be seen by everyone and NOT completely derail another thread. It certainly should be discussed. You still have time to edit it out and make a "Why Everyone Sucks at Smash" thread (which would be mad good) before anyone sees. Quick!

Staco

Smash Champion
The best comparison is to have some players, who played both, american and japanese top players.

There is actually one player, who played some american and some japanese good players:
Kel

http://www.youtube.com/user/kelinjapan#p/u

Look the last ~ 3 months, there are some vids against Lain, M2K and others.

Look the last ~ 6 months, there are some vids against japanese players.

Watching at this videos america seems to be better than the japanese players, but there is no big difference. (except M2K and Ally for sure, but maybe the japanese also got some top players, Kel doesnt have got any vids of)

I dont know if any1 of you maybe got Kels Aim or sth. like that, so we could just ask him. ;)

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
nice write up pierce, its sums up a lots of my thoughts exactly. imo, the japanese average player has an amazing mk. they generally dont main him, but all know how to use him to beat anyone who isnt prepared for it. player ive met like papepia, ikeda, shawa and kei dont score very well in the smash community, but all have mks that amaze me to no end. i still recall getting three stocked the first three times i versed papepia (im the best snake in aus, and thought i knew how to play the mu), although its significantly closer now that im learning how to play the mu against japanese mks. and like i said, he doesnt even main/second mk. he just thinks its fun to use him sometimes. i will also mention that this is large due to proficient tornado spamming (ksizzles been on that train for a while now, m2k is becoming more gay with it).

and in regards to all the questions, i really didnt expect the response i received, and as such would find it difficult remembering all the questions to the respective characters. so what ill do, first of all, is do an interview on yui. post questions for him and ill pool then, translate, ask and translate back. i think this would be the most constructive way to do things. of course, ill have to confirm with him whether its ok or not, but it should be fine.

Ledger_Damayn

Smash Ace
I'd like to point out that I only ever mentioned the top players in both communities. I could care less about the miscellaneous players in the communities.

A lot of the "basics" you mentioned in your brief post (/sarcasm), while they may be the correct options, are not the safest options. Sure, you can intentionally perfect shield an incoming fsmash, but what happens if you miss? The safer option would probably be to dash in your shield, take the hit, then react appropriately...

How many characters in this game even have an attack that has a low enough knockback to use for juggling... Metaknight is an obvious one, but not many other characters other than him... Juggling is uncommon because this game has no hitstun and you can airdodge out of the predictable follow up. You can then say that you can predict the airdodge and attack afterwards, but again, only a few characters have options that are fast enough to set up traps like that (MK again, comes to mind).

Being technically imperfect doesn't mark a bad player, it marks being a human being.

Way to hijack a thread with a TL:DR post that is only tangentially related to the topic, btw >_>

EDIT: This isn't to say that I disagree with the general spirit of your post. I agree, most people suck, and even amongst the people that have a natural affinity towards the game, only a few can even actually explain why they win games.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Pierce... your standards for "good" seem a bit high.

You basically just made a post and said, "wow our average players are terrible. They don't even have perfect spacing, zoning, or knowledge. They can't even powershield everything. They can't juggle their opponents forever. What scrubs."

Honestly if our "average" player met your standards... well, then I would feel like our average player sucked because they can't even deal with their opponents juggling, zoning, spacing, powershielding, etc (if that makes sense to you. It makes sense in my head).

I mean, I fully understand what position I want to be in during a match. I know which positions are bad, and which are good. But so does my opponent. We're both trying to avoid those bad positions and get in those good positions. We aren't both going to be spacing perfectly and setting up great traps. We aren't both going to be juggling each other left and right. One guy probably will, though. Or maybe he won't. Depends on how well his opponent DIs, spaces, etc.

Average players can't always space well, set up walls and traps, or juggle their opponents well because their opponent doesn't let them. It's a two-way thing here. Maybe it's not my spacing that's bad, but my opponents spacing is better. That will always be the case, in fact.

Not to say you aren't right to an extent. Yes, we should all be better. But we all can't be the best. It doesn't work that way. One player will be better than the other, and he will make him look bad.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Amazing wall of text is amazing.
+Rep.

Also, shmot, if you can somehow get a vid of that thing Japanese Wolves do on the ledge, that would be great. Everyone I've talked to doesn't know what it is but we can't imagine anything that we haven't found yet so... yeah, just curious to see if it's actually new or just underused.

:059:

Top Bottom