• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The [Shocking] Official R.O.B. Video Critique Thread

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Just keep poking me, I'll get to it ^.^
I keep forgettings. Visiting family today. So maybe laters? or tomorrows? or sooners?
sooners!

Heartstring

Smash Legend
whenver is fine for you, im not going to command and nag you to do something that you dont even have to do XD i havent got the right to your attention over your family anywayz XD
**** i'm philosophical today

Hater

Smash Ace
lol, FINALLY found the video critique thread XD
well eric if you still have that time then perhaps a bit of help here? before anything, yes i know the lucario sucks XD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGFgHC2Mb58
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20Ozh4epX-Y
I have only watched the 4 mins of the first match but i have plenty of ammo ^^

1. Shield/spotdodge/rolling are defensive maneuvers if you spam both its become more a game of luck rather than defense. You will notice that when you watch top players it looks like they almost never shield unless they are directly getting attacked. Thinking about this will improve your game a lot because if your not in shield or trapped spotdodging all options are available to you. A very bad habit you exhibited was at 2.46 was running up behind lucario falling through a platform and shielding, lucario had no way of hitting you from that distance from behind yet instead of trying to punish you shield.

2. Gt has been mentioned a few times, try and be less predictable and also try down gt'n and using attacks/grabs/pivot grabs out of it. 1.57 of this first vid is a prefect example of when you should have down gt'd

3. Occasionally save your laser(when opponent is high%) it can be a decent kill move and usually puts lucario where he doesnt wanna be offstage (where you should chase) or if it was a metaknight it gives you times to full charge a drigger(gyro).

4. Good Job attempting to mix it up in the air, at times i was expecting a bair i saw a nair or even once an upair, however i feel that althought the choices where good your spacing was just a tad off but i find the best way to improve that is EXP and also trying to think about your opponents movements.

5. Combo's(inb4 hate) by which i mean followups( i know i know no true combo's in brawl) there are plenty of basic ones with mixup options for example single jab>grab (2.47 first match) d tilt>d tilt or d tilt> grab also along with this a few more tilts in general wouldnt hurt ^^

6.Recovery: Tap up b just get into the habit of it it preserves sooooo much fuel also another thing to note here is although you didnt get punished for it, wbgc(wavebounce gyro cancel) even just one if used properly can make recovering from the top a lot easier

Hope this helps ^^

Heartstring

Smash Legend
kay thanks guys. i'll keep this in mind next time i get to paly a human being at brawl (which will be a good few months TT_TT)

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Thought I would like to critique your matches Rekros, I have can't personally stand matches recorded with cameras. Ewwwww

sneakytako

Smash Lord
You spotdodge a lot sharky. It's a good mixup when you dash up and approach, but it's really terrible when you do it out of shield/power shield. When you shield against dancing blade, don't roll towards them or else you will be punished most of the time (although this guy didn't at 0:57) At 1:43 you should have uptilted when they are on the platform like that, idk if you meant to and accidentally tap jumped. You might want to change your tap jump to off to prevent stuff like this. It looks like you have pretty good reaction time, like when you fsmash out of PS at 0:37. Do stuff on the edge like 0:45-0:53 more, especially when your at high percent/stock lead. When you hit people with the front hitbox of bair at like 0:25 follow up with a dtilt instead and you can follow that up with a grab/dash attack >up tilt shenanigans.

I'll watch the second vid later.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
yeah, all i can say is that theres a tad much r.o.b 08 in there, but im guilty of that too XD
ill have a vid of me up hopefully, probably against a weegee player XD

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Premium
I stopped playing ROB '08 a while back, but I realized a lot of it still works because people don't expect it as much anymore, so yeah, I brought a little of it back.

sneakytako

Smash Lord
Dude Zswarm you're almost there, you just have yet to realize how awesome it is to force your opponent to react. Let me give you some examples:

0:13 You've got your opponent on the ropes, you just forced him to land next to a spinning gyro. Instead of dashing forward/shieldgrab (though that would have worked if you were closer) what you should have done was stop earlier and space a ftilt. That would have been 100% safe, and then if your opponent shielded it he still would have been in a ****ty situation. Feeling the pressure, he would have been prone to jump away/roll away/roll towards/spotdodge/hold shield. ROB has answers to all of these options, and you could have reacted to any of the options besides hold shield. If he did hold shield, you could have continued ftliting or simply waited for any of the afromentioned options, then punish.

0:26 You set up beautiful pressure game with your bair>Glidetoss down, but you didn't capitalize by grabbing. In that situation the best thing he could have done was to either getup attack or Up-B, but it would have been at risk to get punished hard. Thus since he's feeling the heat most players will shield. Knowing this, grab would have been the perfect option. Forcing you opponent to shield and then grabbing them is awesome.

0:54 You should have glide tossed down here. If you did, it would have prevented the option of fast-fall > Airdodge into the ground, which would have been his safest landing. Then you could have read that he is forced to stay on the platform, then applied sharking pressure with up-air/fair/nair.

1:06 Again, you should have thrown the gyro down faster here. After hitting him with a weak up-air, he would be reluctant to use his 2nd jump in front of you, thus he's looking to land and shield. Read and grab.

1:35 Again, you beautifully pin him against a gyro, but you realize it too late and grab late. Once a gyro is spinning anywhere near a grounded opponent, understand that he feels pressure and will be prone to shield. Dtlit would also have been a good option here. Also start grabbing without shield, it's faster.

Now you might be feeling 'well hindsight is 20:20' but I say all this because you do some of the same setups that I do, I just predict how they are going to react better. Think about how your opponent feels when they have to deal with ROB's garbage, and learn to capitalize on good reads.

Also some general tips:

Avoid trying to land on the stage against marth. His aerial juggle game is too good, but he will be reluctant to follow you off/below the stage. This was his primary way of coming back during that match.

Know your shield grab. You should cringe every time you miss space a shield grab. Work on alternative OoS options like fair and ftlit/jab.

Work on your SDI/DI. Some of those dancing blades you should have been able to DI up and avoid a good chunk of percent, and that nair/bair shouldn't have killed you.

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Premium
Thanks a lot, Sneaky! Yeah, I have to admit, I'm not very good at reading reactions sometimes, and I just throw the gyro out just to throw it, and don't really capitalize on how useful it can be sometimes, so I'll work on that. And I'm not really sure why my DI was so bad this game, I usually don't die from nair/bair, but I guess I was just off for this game. I admit my SDI isn't the greatest though, I've been working on it since I play Marth's a lot.

clowsui

Smash Legend
zwarm akashi plays so much different than me in that MU lol...it's crazy xD

he dash shields a lot, find a way to punish that

he's also baiting you to go high by swinging bair. don't be afraid to fly to the other side of the stage sometimes or just fly to the platform

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Premium
zwarm akashi plays so much different than me in that MU lol...it's crazy xD

he dash shields a lot, find a way to punish that

he's also baiting you to go high by swinging bair. don't be afraid to fly to the other side of the stage sometimes or just fly to the platform
Thanks Clow. :)

He's one of the two Marth's I play frequently, the other being Oro. You and Oro play more similarly, I think, where Akashi is just kinda out there with his playstyle. :p

Akashi

Smash Lord
Thanks Clow. :)

He's one of the two Marth's I play frequently, the other being Oro. You and Oro play more similarly, I think, where Akashi is just kinda out there with his playstyle. :p
Kind of late, but I just adapt to playstyles as Marth. I need to play more defensively, but I wouldn't say my playstyle is out there.

ipitydatfu

Smash Master
i like your use of ftilt. i always whiff those =/
unless you're garanteed a kill, dont go off at a marth =P. throw **** out, make him jump airdodge, gyro, laser.

worst thing to do against marth is go offstage, to camp. big nono

yeah, try not to recover like how you did. way too much gas. like the guy after you, you both try to get onstage with upB. on FinalD. thats suicide.

i know you did it only once, but...its important to say it, everybody knows when you're gonna glide toss. especially if you;re running away and holding shield after. gotta work on concealing your movements. (also theres more than just glide toss forward -> dsmash, so many ways to use glide toss)

you manage to keep up with PP, so you're alright. work on your recovery, wasted too much gas. he knew what you were gonna do. drop WAY down low, and recover to the otherside. i would. not the smartest thing. but if he's reading you like a book why not? better than just wasting all that gas recovering after getting hit.

notice how he's using sideB's, at some points he staggers them, waiting for you to drop your shield.sideb> your spotdodge.

work on your DI. you keep holding down. killing you too early

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
hello, beepo.

I watched through the vid twice and I'm not going to break it down timeframe by timeframe because a.) I gotsta go do something and b.) I think the general summary you requested would suffice for now.

I'm noticing a lack of fundamentals throughout the match. This isn't to offend you as even the top players forget the small things that are a necessity for staying consistent, etc.
One example is would be your spacing. I noticed a lack of it from both you and your opponent. If you're going to risk hitting their shield, try to make sure it's in a way that either cannot be punished or not be easily punished. Keep their countering options complex. For example, do some retreating fairs, or if you're going to nair them as they're grounded and staying still, try spacing it so it lands behind them. Just mix it up a little is all.

Another thing to note and is definitely a plus in my book is your playstyle. It's aggressive. And I think ROB rocks at playing that way. The problem is, though, is if people watched this video and noticed your aggressive playstyle, they might exclaim that "it doesnt work!" That's wrong and I believe you and I both know that's wrong.

Playing aggressive brings forth a new level of difficult and awareness imo.
You need to know all options that you have in (hopefully) every situation. And it's not just a general thinking process either. You have to know your limits character by character.
Know your strings of attacks such as dash attack to uptilt. Also note that if you catch fox with the side of your up tilt, those will usually string together quite nicely if you delay the timing just a little. And if you're going to play in their face, then look for reads and keep your moves coming out quick. If your opponent loves to spot dodge when you run straight for them, then run straight through them and pivot grab. Some ways to continuously stay "pokey" is to string attacks out like jab1 > dtilt > ftilt/fair. Your goal isn't to give them room to breathe. Mayhaps you could go to practice mode and spend some time learning the proper spacing of your moves and measure which would be the most beneficial to use in different situations (situations as in, is he putting offensive pressure on me, is he in the air, where at in the air, etc.)
Also, try working on fast falling, pivot lasers and pivot gyros. I didn't really see a lot if any of that throughout the match.

But I'm loving the playstyle. Keep at it. If you want to hear more, I'd be glad to help and could even work with you on an instant messenger. Also be aware of my sig as I'm always interested in working with people in the mentoring program. We could even do wifi some time if you have it (preferably this week since I won't have the much time when I get back to school until summer).

But yeah...this is a bit unorganized. I just kind of type whatever my brain runs across or else I'll forget it.
Hope this helps,
take care

PEACE7

Smash Champion
I will be uploading a match soon can any1 please give me a good critique in it ?also I haven't used rob in a while :( but I want to get better with him.

sneakytako

Smash Lord
Pretty good, I can tell you play marth though and you probably hate the diddy/marth MU lol.

Some general notes against diddy:

You can approach diddy with fair if you can predict when he's going to glide toss. You can bait their glide toss with shield. A good examples of this would be around 0:54, 1:23, 1:25 etc. At 0:53 he baits you into shielding with peanuts, waits for you shield to diminish, and reads when your going to drop your shield. You reacted well by jumping right before, that's actually one of the best options OOS in the MU. If you practice this MU you can use this to your advantage and grab banana/zone with fair at the same time.

Protect the stage more, especially when hes off the stage. Watch from 0:33 > 0:37, see how you can just keep him off the stage by staying on the stage? Now watch 0:22 > 0:47 and 3:38 > 3:51 again. Meeting him in the air can net really good return, but it's far easier to simply constantly keep him off the stage by staying on the stage. (especially against people who are better than you) IMO I think you should plant yourself on the stage more when you edgeguard.

Camp more. At 1:30 I can hear you thinking 'omg I really don't want this stupid monkey to setup his bananas' and you dash toward him to setup pressure. Consider the situation. You're up a stock at medium-hi percent where only a few moves can kill you, probably in this case Fsmash only. There's no reason not to plant a gyro in the middle of the stage and camp the far side. Now I'm sure this was friendlies but this is something you might want to consider when you watch your own replays.

Don't get caught in a situation like 2:30. You shield a banana and it lands right in front of you. Diddy jumps and tries to read you catching the banana off your shield with SH fair. Your forced to pick up the banana and leave yourself open. There's a couple of better options you could have tried. One option of you options was to retreat by jumping. This naturally puts you in a bad situation as diddy is amazing at punishing landings with bananas, but you're ROB, you can just jump away and spam projectiles. Another option would be to dash attack and pick up banana/punish diddy's landing lag. This option has a very limited window and would most likely be shielded and punished, but never the less an option that you should try from time to time. Another option is just to straight run into the banana. Now this option sounds really stupid, but it's so stupid that the opponent would never consider it. I mean really, who would straight up run over banana that's been floating around for a while? But it's actually quite effective, because if they react too late, they miss you with the invincibility frames from getup and you get to punish. Try this tactic sometime, it really is more effective than it sounds.

I see you like to use the shoulder hitbox of bair lol. It's awesome for punishing air dodges. I personally like to use fair more because it's faster and less lag but to each his own. Do whatever works. But less upsmash, more angled fsmash and uptilt for sure though.

My thoughts.

Top Bottom