• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The [Shocking] Official R.O.B. Video Critique Thread

TheMike

Smash Lord
He could seach around these boards and read some threads, especially the stuck ones. He can find the video thread so as to know how other rob plays, the Q&A thread where he can ask any doubt that it will be solved, etc. But posting a video would be very important for him as people can point out his mistakes and advice him to get better.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I would rate them but they are dubz, dubz won't really tell your ability as Rob, but your ability to do stuff in dubz. Single please.

RyutsNoir

Smash Cadet
Well can you rate my doubles skill? I'll get some singles up as soon as my friend brings his cap card over

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
I'd help you Noir. But I can't watch the videos now atm because of my school blocking youtube. >.< But I'll rate you as soon as I watch the.

TheMike

Smash Lord
Do people still come by here and Critique vids? If so, I might put some videos up since I'll need all the help i can get now to improve heh.
I'm sure someone will help. If it isn't a doubles video, I can do so.

Bo X7 > everyone else in doubles :D

sneakytako

Smash Lord
From the first Vid, you're eating way too much lucario Dair. Don't challenge lucario from below (example at 0:20 you hit him with dsmash then follow up with bair). Also you need to stop approaching/retreat more (example at 0:38 you shield a Fsmash then proceed to move forward into a Fair. After hitting him with Nair at 0:34, you should be retreating and looking to punish his landing. You did a good job at 2:00-2:10, see how you stop his approach with aerials and hit him with lasers?) You need to grab more. You had easy opportunities at 1:05, 1:16, 3:16, etc. You also roll/sidestep too much because you plant yourself down on a spot (example 2:15-2:20 after hitting him with dtilt, you don't move from that spot and projectile. Try to retreat and laser or move forward to gain control over the center of the stage. Same thing at 3:46-3:50). I like the use of your jabs, but try following up your first jab with a grab or dtilt. If they shield your jab, dtlit > ftilt can push them away and keep you safe.

Good luck, hope my input helps :D

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
good beeps, sneaky. I'll throw some stuff in that I notice too when I have more time =]

42_

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2165-5366-1431
Hello everyone, I have friend named Max113 who told me I should get my R.O.B. critiqued so........here you go. I would also appreciate if you other R.O.B. players could go through a detailed analysis of my R.O.B.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_Yvtae9K5A

This is a wi-fi friendly by the way. I will post offline matches of myself in the near future.

sneakytako

Smash Lord
Alright here's my two cents nova.

Form the first vid, you react to hits badly, sir. You bair/Nair/Dair/airdodge out of hits quite often, they are not your best options most of the time. Try spamming Fair more after you get hit, it comes out alot faster and helps you momentum cancel. Also, there are instances where you plant yourself down and watch how the opponent approaches. Rather, you should either retreat and RAR a laser/gyro or move closer to control the center of BF (Like you do between 2:18-2:21). Against glide attack, just shield >grab or Dsmash if he lands behind you, but make sure not to shield too early because he will just cancel glide and tornado. On your first stock, you should have retreated high to avoid getting gimped/stage spiked at around 0:55, 0:58 and 2:06. One last thing, after you gyro, try not to get held up watching your gyro, move and prepare to laser (Example at 2:50, you lose all of your momentum because you stop after gyroing and stay on the platform)

Nova9000

Smash Lord
Omni also pointed out my AD haibts and how it's getting me killed. Fairing is a better option than the others; I played Takeover yesterday and killed him while he was hitting me :). I also need to implement RAR and the recovery issue into my game more. Thanks sneakytako.

sneakytako

Smash Lord
I watched the second vid and thought you need to jab more. If you know that Shield grab isn't going to work, OOS jab is a pretty good option, it can hit behind ROB unlike grab.

Bees!

Smash Ace
I am even more confused *checks brower top banner. It says critique thread. What did you mean then? lol

sneakytako

Smash Lord
Sigh why am I the only one interested in posting ROB tips...

Alright Koing heres what I think:

First, this DK has no idea how to play the ROB matchup. That being said, you made a lot of simple mistakes. First off, is 1:52-1:55. Why would you approach a DK with a fresh stock inside the center of the stage? You should have camped the edge and concentrated on ticking on as much percent as possible and expanding your lead. Not to mention, a fresh DK is going to have all of his moves fresh, and at low% he might be able to trade a KO move with his Donkey punch with super armor and such. 2nd, you dsmash too much, particularly out of glide toss and spot dodge. Better players with read such habits, the DK could have done a Bair against most of your Glidetosses to cancel the gryo, evade the Dsmash and hit you all at once. Try mixing it up Glidetoss followups with grabs/Fsmash/Upsmash and aerials. You also don't use jab and Ftilt at all, Ftilt is really amazing in this MU. If the DK is poking you with Bair, either read his Bair and PS > OOS fair, or move back and spam ftilt, and jab when he gets close.

Bees!

Smash Ace
I would have given advice I just don't know anything about DK.

Now Peach, Wario, Snake, Olimar or toon link I could weigh in on.

Bees!

Smash Ace
Well this is the grand finals of a tourney I was in a couple months ago. Granted I have learned a few things about the MU since then. However I still lack experience in this MU if people can break it down and tell me what I need to do and what I was doing wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iL1aSAE2Ok
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9Ma1eG8Xe4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRnYUcYy_a4 T_T
I am not sure where to post this but I needs some help with the MK MU from people who really are experienced on it. I

Cynan Machae

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CynanMachae
Doesn't seems there isn't much action on this thread right now, but I'll put a game of mine here anyway.

I've been trying to pick ROB as a secondary, but it seems I'm lacking a few aspects of the rob playstyle, and I'd really appreciate any pointers on whats wrong with my play and whats should I work on.

Here's a game vs Stroumbert, a top canadian falco:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liGnVo9xxtM

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIkknDlqj1Q

Detailed critique please, unless this thread died of course...
Doesn't seems there isn't much action on this thread right now, but I'll put a game of mine here anyway.

I've been trying to pick ROB as a secondary, but it seems I'm lacking a few aspects of the rob playstyle, and I'd really appreciate any pointers on whats wrong with my play and whats should I work on.

Here's a game vs Stroumbert, a top canadian falco:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liGnVo9xxtM
I'll get to both of you guys soon<3
I now haz the time.

Cubone

Smash Lord
NNID
Cubone
I use that same texture for ROB =3

-watches-

Alright, just a few things I picked out...

First vid
Didn't see any pummels when you did grab.
Quite a few missed lasers
You don't seem to tap B when you use upB at all, it saves fuel.
Glide Tossing seeems like it could use some work too as Fu mentioned.
Dash -> Shield got old fast... surprised he didn't start grabbing you for it.

Second vid
0:25 ~ Ledge drop bair is a beautiful thing... it would've worked great here
3:40 ~ FINALLY REFLECTED THE AS. He threw out a ton of fully charged ones and I was waiting to see you reflect one since the first game.

Um I'm not really the best at this either -looks at huge gap in match with no comment-... I would try to throw in some gyro canceling too, its a really nice tool to have.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
ohkay. i tend to mess up the glide tossing a smidgeon but meh.
one thing i tend to do (obviously need to get it out of the system) is i up-b, tap B but i keep hold of up wich is obviously me being retaded XP
dash shield...i blame my year of ike maining for that XD
but thanks guys ^_^

Top Bottom