• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official SBR-B Brawl Tier List v3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenki

Smash Hero
You forgot the part where if a character gets popular and then everyone learns how to beat him and he turns out to be not so good, then he goes back down. Tier list movement is not linear.
yap.

Thankfully, Sonic will still never be a popular character in tournaments, LOL. Character-wise, nothing's really changed drastically to the point that he's any different to pick up now than when people thought he was like, 5th worst in the game.

Eventually all of the Sonic mains will advance him enough that he will be high tier and people will start using him a lot in tournies cuz of his tier placement.
Nah =P

Sonic's been pretty much the same since like, the end of last summer. The only thing that's improved are the player skills of people who main him, and I guess a shift on focus on the kind of mindgames we use/how well we use them (from spindash/spring spam --> spindash cancel spam --> run mindgames --> balanced usage/attack traps). Also

The only people giving attention to Sonic are Sonic mains. It was through our actions entirely which lead to him being voted as high as he is. His fanboy attention of his mains is no different that the fanboy attention of characters like MK, Snake, diddy etc who just the same will have lots of people playing them because of their history in video games. Sonic's fanboy effect in brawl when it comes to tiers is worthless, it merely creates more people playing him which DOES NOT = tier boost. Sonic will never be high tier, and the only people who will start using him now because of something like a tier placement are extremely likely to quit shortly after once realising it takes a very long time to get good enough with him to place in a tournament
this is too true :3

also,
the countless people who used to post in the superlarge Sonic thread BEFORE Brawl came out... LOL when they all disappeared/changed mains to the point that Sonic boards were dead by April, and only started to pick back up in May with KASR.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Why do people main lol tier characters?
A: they like thier moveset, or they like the character itself.

If there is a lot of people who main a character because they like who they are then some of them are bound to go pro.

Thus, fanboys do indeed effect tiers.
I personally like Sonics moveset..... but I like who Sheik is more than I like who Sonic is. So I main Sheik.

If I am wrong then why was there a lot of people wanting to main Sonic before SSBB was released? You can't tell me that they all fell in love with the moveset that they only had a very vague idea of.
Tier lists are made to measure the overall metagame of each character relative to every other character. Until the game is completely figured out, the tier list will not be completely accurate, which is why it is periodically updated. While popularity has a hand in boosting a character's evolution of metagame more quickly initially, it does nothing to change that character's overall potential. Sonic went up because it was determined that his overall metagame was at that level based on combination of collective opinion and tournament results.

If Sheik were really popular, it would not suddenly jumpstart her +8 places. That relies entirely on her level of success and the impression she leaves.

While nobody can claim to be entirely unbiased, the tier list is not intended to be a popularity contest, which is why we're not just taking my Character Rankings List and saying "this is the tier list." Tournament success has a hand in our decisions only because it shows us the peak of the character's present metagame.

impostoroak557

Smash Cadet
Just as a matter of interest, why is Wolf so low? I mean, he has a good spacing move, a good KO move, a good projectile, you can't juggle him. His only problems are susceptibility to Chain Grabs and bad recovery, but that hasn't stopped DK.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Is Pokemon Trainer's jump really that big of a surprise? Although, the bigger question is, do people think it's inaccurate?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Characters above him tend to have one or more of the following:
- Better spacing tools
- Better KO options
- Better projectiles
- Less susceptibility to dumb things
- Better recovery

Without significantly, if at all, losing any of the other traits.

Wolf is solid to some degree, but you'd have to make a hard argument for him to be much higher than he already is.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Is Pokemon Trainer's jump really that big of a surprise? Although, the bigger question is, do people think it's inaccurate?
Kinda. Squirtle rocks. Pro PT strategy is basically start with Squritle, kill with Ivysaur, stall for 1:30 with 'zard (is that the time it takes? I forget) and switch back. That's vastly oversimplifying it :laugh:, but I admit I was surprised.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
PT should rise above Zelda only because Zelda is pretty ****ing terrible. That's about it, though.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
It's not that big of a surprise to people who have had experience with them. The character is better than others think...
I would say more often Pokemoin Trainer fails in a match is with Ivysaur's recovery seeing how it's worse than Olimar's. I was expecting Pokemon Trainer to move up because they are a bit underrated.
I don't think it's inaccurate by the way.

Smash Journeyman
I wish link was 1 space lower on the tier list................

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Alright, here we go.

0rion I don't enjoy your views on ZSS :p

That said, you are mopping up this thread. I want to quote your post and QFT it.
I think you're mistaking me for someone else. I haven't said anything about ZSS.

I meant inside of the community. The example I gave was just how it pretty much would be. If there's a thread saying "Should we ban Meta Knight?" in the SBR, people would automatically claim that the SBR wants to ban Meta Knight.
Now, think of it, that, if there's a possibly big suggestion of change for the game which is being discussed, that the people turn it around and make it into "They WILL change". Which would cause the community to create an uproar (maybe that word is blowing this out of proportion, but don't get nitpicking on me, cause I hate nothing more than people who can't stop riding on little linguistic details if it's perfectly clear what I mean - I'm not natively English, so that's the reason why I'm wording things wrong and have failing grammar).
Think about it. You're claiming that you can't tell people outside of SBRB anything because of the rash assumptions they'd make, which in and of itself is a rash assumption. I saw both of the Meta Knight banning poll threads, and I don't recall anyone saying that SBRB had definitively decided to ban him. And if they did, they were the exception, not the rule.

And again, the type of people that would do that would find an excuse to do it anyway. Keeping this from the public view prevents NOTHING.

Then there's no point in making the SBR view-only, anyway. If you suggest that, we should open up the SBR in general and let everyone post in there because they're the public. They sure will contribute properly and they sure know just as much as the SBR-members do. Right.
That's a "slippery slope" argument if ever I heard one. I'm not talking about letting people actively participate in SBRB. I'm asking that the unnecessary and frankly STUPID veil of secrecy be removed.

The Debate Hall is read only for non members and many of its touchier subjects are taboo outside of that forum. I don't see that causing a huge panic.

I don't want you taking what I'm saying out of context like this. There's a difference between being able to post on a forum and being able to hear what's said that could drastically affect competitive perspectives on something, so you can form your own opinions on it and attempt to influence public opinion as well.

There's a difference between trolling and having a dumb opinion.
Right. The former is already against TOS, and the latter is no crime; so it's not the SBRB's responsibility to try and regulate either one. More to the point, you could very well be CAUSING a lot more of both of these things of these by intentionally keeping people in the dark.

The thing is, we are strictly forbidden to leak anything. If I tell people about projects and debates going on in the SBR, I'm leaking. Even if it's nothing specific. So I took an example that went into the public, anyway. It's a bad example, but I can't give you any other thing.
I already said that.

It's no elitism. It's a matter of fact that there are people that don't know much about the game, and to prevent people who're "omg tiers r 4 queers" to look into the discussions going on in the SBR, it's hidden.
Dude, do you HEAR yourself when you say stuff like this? It's like saying "It's a well known fact that southerners have mullets and drink beer all the time."

Get this. As I said before, the people that would do those sorts of things do NOT make up more than an extremely small minority of the regular posters on this forum. And again, I find it increasingly more insulting that you keep throwing most non-SBRB members into this group.

And you still haven't brought up the point I have raised MULTIPLE TIMES. What's stopping the type of people that would think and behave this way from doing so REGARDLESS of whether SBRB is hidden? The answer: nothing. People like that will use any excuse to have their opinions heard. You have done... let me phrase this properly for you...

NOTHING

...to stop or even slow it down by hiding the forum.

For the record, you should probably avoid adding this to the middle of your arguments from now on. It makes you look like you're not understanding the valid points being made by your opposition.

Personal vendettas are nothing you should hold at all, and they're very hindering in accepting different views.
There's a difference in having a personal vendetta and not accepting another view. On a personal level I think Stalin was absolute scum, but I'd be a fool not to recognize the fact that if it weren't for him destroying the German army in Russia, World War II would almost certainly have been completely lost.

Just because I think something is bad personally doesn't mean I don't acknowledge the things that aren't so bad about it.

You're not better than Creationists, then. They don't accept other opinions, as well.
You're STILL stereotyping people unfairly, right now. And this is coming from someone that's about as anti-religion as they come. Don't phrase your arguments like this.

Because people are dumb and forgetful. There will always be again and again the same questions over and over. This is proven by only watching the General Brawl Discussion for a week. You will come across at least 1 thread that already has been opened in the past, pretty much every day one.
And so, this being the case - BY YOUR OWN ADMISSION - exactly what has keeping SBRB secret prevented? Sure, the SUBJECTS of the repeated "dumb and forgetful" discussions might be different, but the number hasn't gone down.

I again refer you to the giant font earlier in the post to explain what SBRB's secrecy has done for the community.

We aren't keeping our knowledge to ourselves. The SBR debates things, talks about points, and then the results are presented.
Correct: the points that you CHOOSE to present are presented. And only in the way that the presenter CHOOSES to present them. That's not much better than not saying them at all.

The knowledge comes out eventually, but only after everything has been settled and all of the people who are taking part of the discussions all are more or less satisfied with the results.
...And then people argue about it and often vehemently disagree with SBRB anyway. Do you see where I'm going, here?

My beliefs and observations will not change by someone else reading them, they will change by my own research.
EXACTLY. So, WHY ARE YOU THE ONLY ONE WITH THAT RIGHT?

So you think the SBR members are only staying inside their small forum and never read up information on other places? They never play players who aren't in the SBR? What kind of stupid accusation is that?
I never said that. I don't know where you got this impression. Don't start attacking my strawman, here.

The SBR members always are exposed to external input. If it's their own observations, or them reading and concluding from the persons aware of this topic... it doesn't matter. All an open SBR would cause is people going "omg, sbr said marth sucks, their so wrong lol" or something among the line.
Again, this happens anyway.

That doesn't change the fact that many people aren't aware of anything else but their own character. That won't help at all. If I say "I think that Marth is bad" (to stay with that example), then there's a reason for me to say so, and I don't want to explain myself all the time when I do.
If I say "Mars would make a better habitat for humans than Earth," then there's a reason for me to say so, and I don't want to explain myself all the time when I do.

Are you seeing the flaw in your argument?

You might well think that this is the case, hypothetically. But unless you have something backing it up, your rationale is still bad. You're just the only one that knows about it, and that's even WORSE because you're convinced it's not bad.

More importantly, who the hell are YOU to say that your theories are beyond the comprehension of the general public? I'll lay THIS out on the line, as well: if your beliefs are so strong that you can't explain them, then that's even more reason to reexamine them.

So you think SBR members don't read in the Stage forums? Again, SBR members are not limited to the SBR, they have access to all public knowledge.
Good. Now, read again what I said.

I'm not saying it gets more peaceful that way. I'm saying that this way, our discussions aren't disrupted and the SBR's members aren't attacked for their opinions. That's what I'm saying.
A: your discussions wouldn't be disrupted because the forum would be read-only, and it's not like ToS would cease to exist. B: they're not exempt from being attacked for their opinions anyway. Again, see the large font earlier in this post.

Yes, but I don't want to debate every little minimal piece of my opinion and experiences just to please you. And I think I'm not the only one. Sorry, but I'm not a debating robot.
Good, because as I said earlier (in fact, it was one of my first points on the subject) is that I don't care about the credentials of the person I'm talking to. I care about the validity of their arguments.

Remember that the SBRB was until only recently consisting of several people who had no idea about Brawl, since they weren't playing it. There were many reformations in terms of users. As for your example, well, that is one of those points I mean. This SBRoomer thought that Luigi was better than you thought, and until now, the results are that he's where he is now. Well, then you were right, and they were wrong, so what?
That's exactly what I mean with "if you make a mistake, you'll be attacked".
If by "attacked" you mean "called out for saying something that doesn't make sense and then not backing it up," then you're absolutely right. And if you're afraid of this happening all the time, then I'm not sure why SBRB is held on such a pedestal.

You still hold a grudge against this SBRoomer because he was wrong, and you still keep throwing that at others for an example because this SBRoomer's opinion was not completely right, respectively they weren't perfect in their knowledge (meaning the one guy now).
NO.

You couldn't have missed the point any harder if you'd tried to.

You're right. I STILL feel the sting of that discussion, and I'm still very resentful of it. But I'm resentful of it not because he was wrong, or because he made a mistake, but because he didn't feel the need to justify his arguments or explain his rationale for arriving at his conclusions.

He thought of me - as you seem to think for others - that I was somehow "beneath" his higher plateau of thinking; an ignorant, unwashed neophyte that had no clue what he was talking about and couldn't possibly offer anything constructive to his own world view. It wasn't the fact that he was wrong that galls me. It was the fact that - because he was allowed to wallow in his own idiocy for so long - it's taken this long for it to be acknowledged.

THAT'S what bothers me.

It's not because they'd be "looked down on", it's because the SBR is meant to represent the Brawl community.
Another thing I don't much care for. "Representatives" that are appointed by a select group.

So there are mainly members who are experienced and knowledgeable enough to discuss important matters such as rulesets, tier lists or other projects benefitting the competitive community. If people can see SBRoomers being not perfect or omnipotent as you name it, then they will cast doubts on the SBR, and some might even try to force these members to leave the SBR.[.quote]

Allow me to summarize this last argument with a quote from The Wizard of Oz:

"IGNORE THAT LITTLE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN."

It's not the "shame". I am willing to admit mistakes, but if I'm getting eaten alive for it, I don't really want to talk about it in the first place. I'd rather leave the discussion, or even the group, before getting supressed by the public.

I want to discuss, not to be treated like a criminal.
It sounds like you're really struggling to separate the concept of "criticism" from "persecution." There is a HUGE difference.

More to the point, the fact that SBRB doesn't want their beliefs called into question makes me that much more convinced that they SHOULD be, and as soon as possible.

Having a wrong opinion or wrong information on some matter. For example, Luigi's potential as a character. Which a certain user is still bringing up and attacking with. I won't tell names, though.
"Attacking,"? I haven't seen any "attacks" on SBRB. Again, I see disagreement, but that's healthy.

Counter question: What would be my reason to lie about it?
To rationalize SBRB's secrecy.

Maybe for you, but you have your mindset of not ever accepting any other argument or opinion on this matter, you think only you are right and everything else is heresy, thus you will never be satisfied with any other explanation and POV than yours.
Well, this certainly came out of left field.

I'll clue you in on something, because you're obviously having difficulty following, here. I'm not interested in my own opinions. I KNOW what I think, and why I think that way. I'm discussing this matter because I feel I'm right, yes... but more importantly, I'm discussing this in case I'm WRONG.

There's a fundamental principle in philosophy that if you've proven yourself right, you've gained nothing. You've only broke even. If you prove yourself WRONG, however, then your world view is improved, and you benefit for it.

I'm discussion this matter with you right now because I feel - STRONGLY feel - that if there is some flaw in the way I think, it should be brought to light. And if there's not, then it should be expressed openly so people can consider and internalize it.

In this case, the only justifications for your view that you've given is that you don't want to be held accountable for what you say or think (in which case, it's a sign of abject irresponsibility), and that you don't think people are capable of understanding it (which is transparent bigotry).

People should quit holding the SBR on some high platform that'll be chopped down the moment they give a general consensus on something.
For one thing, I for one have never held SBRB on a higher platform ( the subjects raised during this conversation being some of the specific reasons why). And if their consensus doesn't make sense and can't be explained, then I feel it SHOULD be criticized.

The SBR is no exception: moderators of many forums, judges, committees, every group of this nature... they are formed not to hold something above the heads of everyone else, but instead to create an environment where ignorance, idiocy, and inanity can be limited as much as possible.
And don't you feel that keeping the discussions private only serves to reinforce these ideas?

This is not to say that they are all sagacious and perfect, as I am sure some of us have had run-ins with these type of members where a clear poor judgment was made. However, we are still all human in the end, and the best way to grow is to recognize and accept mistakes, and by accepting mistakes, I mean not holding it over a particular person's head. It happens to everyone, and proving someone to be wrong and then treating them more negatively of it (assuming they aren't continuously doing it) is never the way to bridge a community.
Very true. The problem is that, if you keep others from hearing your mistakes, it takes you that much longer to realize you made them.

I've made mistakes here, too. The difference being that when I make a mistake, I'm immediately called to task for it, and have to acknowledge my mistakes. That doesn't mean that people take every opportunity to rub my nose in it, because that would just make them look vindictive and petty. They'd get nothing out of it.

I used to be a moderator at IGN, but I retired. I started posting on the Fire Emblem board back in 2003, and in 2007, I was made a moderator because the board lacked one. Now, for the first four years of my posting career there, I was treated like everyone else. I would debate with people, and barring the obvious ignorami you come across, there were people who refuted things I said effectively, and I accepted their argument. No grudges of any kind were held between us.

I get moderated, and we're discussing a tier list. Mind you, there's no "SBR" here. I posted an argument as to why I believed Rhys to be a better character than Soren, and somewhere I made an error. Something about Rhys having 17 Speed and 17 AS with Shine or something of the nature (FE players will understand). A complete mishap that I could've easily fixed had I noticed it. Users were coming at me left and right, picking apart that one detail and deeming everything else I said as horribly wrong or just ignoring it. I said "Sorry, I wasn't paying attention", and then people started to have this notion that I never paid attention to anything and that it somehow tied into my moderating skills. This went on for about a year (random examples), and eventually I got tired of it and left.
If it went on for a year, exactly how many "minor, random" mistakes were you making to get people up in arms? You'll forgive me, but somehow I seriously doubt that they would harass you for one year over one single typo.

The point of this is that people can and likely will hold stupid mistakes over your head because you are viewed as an authoritative figure, and because you are viewed as such, any sign of error will bring out ignorami from the bushes to comment on your mistake, while often saying things far worse than what they're trying to call out. This WILL happen with thousands of active, registered, and posting users on a site where people can't handle their character being criticized, rules being suggested, and stages being banned.
I pose the exact same question to you as to SpadeFox: exactly what has keeping discussion secret done to prevent this from happening anyway?

We both know the answer.

The SBR has always presented guidelines for a lot of things, NOT a law.
I'll give you this. It's one of the things that I actually like about SBRB.

Having said that, their guidelines have become a sort of de facto law for a lot of people. And not by accident. For example, SBRB went out of its way to give the impression that if its ruleset wasn't followed by tournaent directors, then it was not "SBRB approved," which in tern would make it somehow less official and therefore less of a tournament. Whether this is actually the case is another matter for another day, but the main point being that SBRB hasn't exactly tried to fight this impression.

The tier list is based off of what the SBR believes to be appropriate, which is based off of what they know about the characters, their metagame, and their results. It is never "perfect" because everyone, even the people who made the game, does not know every single detail when it comes to every single character on every single stage It can be, however, extremely accurate for everything that we DO know about the game. Stage legality, the rules for how matches should be played (3-stock, 8 minutes, etc.), and other similar things are simply more suggestions, not laws, yet people will fight them so badly when they don't even have to follow them. This is stuff that everyone knows with the SBR being hidden from more than 99% of this site.

I am not convinced that we should open the SBR up to everyone for the possibility of hitting a major epiphany while we know what the definite negative consequences will be. This is simply my opinion.
Every decision has the potential for negative consequences. We both know that. Saying "bad things will happen if we do this," in no way negates the fact that not only are those EXACT SAME BAD THINGS happening regardless, but even WORSE things happen as a result of keeping things ignorant. It's just an easy way to wash your hands of it and not take any of the flack.

OMG. I love you so much. <3
Was this necessary? It was already implied that you agreed with him.

D

Deleted member

Take it somewhere else, this is tier list discussion, not discuss how the backroom should be run with people who cant change it.

Pm or soemthing.

/Mod powerzz :)

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Take it somewhere else, this is tier list discussion, not discuss how the backroom should be run with people who cant change it.

Pm or soemthing.

/Mod powerzz :)
Oh, hush. That contributes even less to the conversation.

/simple logic

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
More to the point, the fact that SBRB doesn't want their beliefs called into question makes me that much more convinced that they SHOULD be, and as soon as possible.
This is a phenomenally good point and I want anyone who replies to 0rion's post to read it a few times before responding.

Spadefox and co's argument so far has been just that the SBR is secretive because it wants to avoid criticism, a ridiculous fallacious sentiment if there ever was one.

1. They criticize you anyway. We're criticizing your opinion at this very moment. If you can't handle it then you shouldn't have taken the position.
2. Opinions from members of the SBR-B are the first people we should be criticizing and being familiar with. When you are in a position to make decisions for a large community like this one, they ought to know why you're making these assertions.
3. No one stands to benefit from keeping the community in the dark except the SBR-B, and then only if they're wrong, in which case we should be able to see that.
4. Dtilt > Sonic.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
This is a phenomenally good point and I want anyone who replies to 0rion's post to read it a few times before responding.

Spadefox and co's argument so far has been just that the SBR is secretive because it wants to avoid criticism, a ridiculous fallacious sentiment if there ever was one.

1. They criticize you anyway. We're criticizing your opinion at this very moment. If you can't handle it then you shouldn't have taken the position.
2. Opinions from members of the SBR-B are the first people we should be criticizing and being familiar with. When you are in a position to make decisions for a large community like this one, they ought to know why you're making these assertions.
3. No one stands to benefit from keeping the community in the dark except the SBR-B, and then only if they're wrong, in which case we should be able to see that.
4. Dtilt > Sonic.
While I and a few others would be fine with transparency, the powers that be aren't. If you really wish to try to make a difference, you would find much more success in discussing with them, not the rest of the SBR-B.

Marcbri

Smash Lord
NNID
Marcbri
Link beats Ganon, Jiggz, Lucas, Bowser and goes even with Samus, Falcon, Ice Climbers & DK
Snake is close to 45-55 to snake

LOL link beating jigglypuff. she's probably one of his harder match-ups. to beat a link with jiggs you only need to send him out of the stage ( an aerial or a throw will do this easily) and then gimp with your favourite aerial.

Wolf and Sheik( especially Sheik) could be higher but they have no representation at all :/

Suspect

Smash Hero
People actually should not care where there character is on the tier list, all this list shows is how good characters have been placing right?

Then that's when new people look at it and go "oh im gonna main mk!" >_>

tocador

Smash Lord
LOL link beating jigglypuff. she's probably one of his harder match-ups. to beat a link with jiggs you only need to send him out of the stage ( an aerial or a throw will do this easily) and then gimp with your favourite aerial.

Wolf and Sheik( especially Sheik) could be higher but they have no representation at all :/
to beat a link with jiggs you only need to send him out of the stage and then gimp with your favourite aerial.

and then gimp with your favourite aerial.
The thruth hurst, QFT!

And yay, finally PT went up o/!

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Hes this really dickly guy that makes awful horrible johns every time he loses.

but on a serious note, can anybody give me a quick 2 or 3 sentances on why lucas is better than ness?
1. More recovery options and a better recovery in general.
2. More KO potential.
3. All his specials beat out Ness's.
4. Has slightly better set ups.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell.

Add in: Oddly enough, Mario's fall is not what I'm the most disappointed about, it's Lucario. Seriously, I hate how he's taken a huge fall from grace since Azen quit. He has a lot of potential but hardly anyone seems paitient enough to try to discover it.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
For one thing, I for one have never held SBRB on a higher platform ( the subjects raised during this conversation being some of the specific reasons why). And if their consensus doesn't make sense and can't be explained, then I feel it SHOULD be criticized.
Not directed at you at all, but I agree.

And don't you feel that keeping the discussions private only serves to reinforce these ideas?
If you want to speak from a certain standpoint, then yes, you could be ignorant about what they're talking about and I could be ignorant as to what they think as a whole. However, I am hard-pressed to believe that when they discuss a major thing, they're doing it behind everyone else's back. If they discuss whether or not to ban MK/DDD's cg/etc, usually they bring those topics out here so everyone can discuss it. They participate in both their own discussions and the ones with everyone else. Is this a particularly bad thing? You may ask, "Well if they're paying attention to us then why aren't they discussing what they're discussing amongt themselves with us?"

The reason why I am against transparency is because, so far, they take the most important topics and bring them out to us for discussion, they discuss the tier list, stage legality, and other things and bring them out, and as far as I know, they bring their ideas out to us. I'm not sure as to what they're NOT telling us, and I will not pretend that I know, but I will guess that it is nothing that is worth keeping away from everyone else. This is where the heart of the argument lays - "if it's nothing, why hide it" vs. "if it's nothing, is it worth the repercussions." That is, if I understand your argument.

Regardless, while I'm avoiding a philosophical debate the best I can, I don't think that the many intelligent users on this site, whether or not they believe we should be able to view the SBR, are quite as ignorant as it may seem compared to the SBR as far as topics like this are concerned. I am of the belief that the many users who would base arguments and ideas off of who said it (which is a LOT of SWF) would sooner promote ignorance than what the SBR is doing now.

Very true. The problem is that, if you keep others from hearing your mistakes, it takes you that much longer to realize you made them.

I've made mistakes here, too. The difference being that when I make a mistake, I'm immediately called to task for it, and have to acknowledge my mistakes. That doesn't mean that people take every opportunity to rub my nose in it, because that would just make them look vindictive and petty. They'd get nothing out of it.
A valid point in a general setting, but consider if you will the opinion of one SBR member saying something that you find completely ridiculous. It is not unlikely that the several other users in the SBR disagree with him. It is extremely likely, in fact. The SBR, as we know, is not one big wave of an opinion: it is just as much of a consensual thing as everyone else's opinion is.

I would not say that this point does much in general to help the argument that the SBR should be read-only to non-members. An SBR member can call another member out on a mistake just as easily as how we're called out for ours. Like how Inui caught my Rhys > Soren statement. I'm sure it happens back there, too.

If it went on for a year, exactly how many "minor, random" mistakes were you making to get people up in arms? You'll forgive me, but somehow I seriously doubt that they would harass you for one year over one single typo.
You misunderstood me greatly. That was one typo and one segment of time. In the future, I would go on to make different mistakes, be them typos or logical errors, and people attacked me in the same way until my abilities as a moderator were taken into consideration by them and eventually they deemed me to be a bad moderator (though obviously the admins and other moderators found me to be wonderful). While this says nothing about me as a person or how good or bad of a user I really was, the important thing is that I was met with such biased adversity that it grew tiresome.

I wouldn't want the same thing to repeat here. I speak merely from experience, but it is not certain as to what would happen here.

I pose the exact same question to you as to SpadeFox: exactly what has keeping discussion secret done to prevent this from happening anyway?

We both know the answer.
It appears that you have failed to pick up on the real issue.

It isn't about avoiding criticism, at least in my argument. It is about limiting the type of stupidity that is linked to authoritative fallacies and biases. Right now, we can see nothing that the SBR has not shown us. The criticism is that they keep things in the dark for whatever reason and it's unhealthy for the community. The real problem isn't avoiding criticism - it is avoiding stupid conclusions/judgments/etc based off of what they just read, and human beings WILL connect stuff like this together, regardless of whether or not the statement was true or false or an opinion.

Let your imagination go for a bit as to what would happen if everyone could see what went on in the SBR. Let's say I am an SBR member. Note that my use of "users" does not apply to everyone, just the ignorami I continue to talk about.

Me (in the backroom): Zelda is clearly top tier.

SBR: That's quite possibly one of the craziest things we've heard someone say.

Me: It's true.

---

Users looking in: Wow, SoR is a ****ing idiot. I can't believe they let that idiot into the backroom. I can't believe the backroom has so many scrubs and amateurs, yet they leave smart users out. Maybe we should question the credibility of the SBR. Actually, **** the SBR, they don't know anything if they're letting idiots like that in. If they agree that he's not making sense, why should we take him seriously? <insert a lot more of this>

(a week later)

Me (out in a general thread): Sheik has the potential to do well in tournaments, but she needs to be better represented.

Users: Why should we take your opinion seriously? We read what you said about Zelda in the backroom, and clearly you don't know much about the characters in this game. Why are you even in the backroom? I knew this and I also know Zelda sucks, so I probably know a lot more about this game than you do. Why are you still in the SBR if they disagree with you? lol, elitists.

Can we ignore these type of people? Of course we can, momentarily. But you, nor anyone here who has been on the Internet long enough should not underestimate the power that the crowds of on-lookers and judgmental people can bring. People will constantly pull stuff like this out against the SBR. It is ingrained in humans to find a way to feel superior to those who are, in their mind, placed on a pedestal. This spread of pseudo-superiority and the fact that you'd always have people trying to discredit the SBR because of something they got to see but didn't agree with (whether or not it was stupid, but I used a stupid example to get it across clearer) is very dangerous and very damaging to a community like this. You say that keeping everyone in the dark is bad enough, but I do not see how you can weigh the very slight chance that you'd get something really good from this against the incredibly large reality that it would, indeed, spread ignorance.

I'll give you this. It's one of the things that I actually like about SBRB.

Having said that, their guidelines have become a sort of de facto law for a lot of people. And not by accident. For example, SBRB went out of its way to give the impression that if its ruleset wasn't followed by tournaent directors, then it was not "SBRB approved," which in tern would make it somehow less official and therefore less of a tournament. Whether this is actually the case is another matter for another day, but the main point being that SBRB hasn't exactly tried to fight this impression.
It is clearly written out that they are not the law, but it should also be duly noted that if they don't approve of your tournaments (which you need to prove, by the way), they're not holding it above you as if your tournaments are inferior. It's just not part of a standard that they selected because it is what they wanted. And remember, approval really doesn't have much to do with acceptance. I do not approve chaingrabs in general, but I do accept them. Accepting something does not mean you like it.

You have the "SBR" tier list, and you have rankings based off of their rulesets (though they may not completely replicate the rules suggested). That's SBR standard, and anyone who decides to go completely against it is no longer following the SBR standard. Why should the SBR be fighting anything? You don't have to follow the rules, and if you do, then you do. Simple as that. The rulemakers are not to blame, because they are still suggestions and not absolutes. The only absolute, again, is that it probably won't be taken into consideration for rankings that WERE based off of the rules.

Every decision has the potential for negative consequences. We both know that. Saying "bad things will happen if we do this," in no way negates the fact that not only are those EXACT SAME BAD THINGS happening regardless, but even WORSE things happen as a result of keeping things ignorant. It's just an easy way to wash your hands of it and not take any of the flack.
I already addressed this argument, because while it works if you assume that the only part of it is what happens regardless, it doesn't take into account what happens when you can see the SBR and what possibilities open up.

I think it's been proven that representation doesn't effect the standards of how the characters are ranked. Falco has had the worst representation of all the top tiers for the last year or so. And Falco hasn't really changed postion much, 5th, 3rd, and not 4th.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
It appears that you have failed to pick up on the real issue.

It isn't about avoiding criticism, at least in my argument. It is about limiting the type of stupidity that is linked to authoritative fallacies and biases. Right now, we can see nothing that the SBR has not shown us. The criticism is that they keep things in the dark for whatever reason and it's unhealthy for the community. The real problem isn't avoiding criticism - it is avoiding stupid conclusions/judgments/etc based off of what they just read, and human beings WILL connect stuff like this together, regardless of whether or not the statement was true or false or an opinion.

Let your imagination go for a bit as to what would happen if everyone could see what went on in the SBR. Let's say I am an SBR member. Note that my use of "users" does not apply to everyone, just the ignorami I continue to talk about.

Me (in the backroom): Zelda is clearly top tier.

SBR: That's quite possibly one of the craziest things we've heard someone say.

Me: It's true.

---

Users looking in: Wow, SoR is a ****ing idiot. I can't believe they let that idiot into the backroom. I can't believe the backroom has so many scrubs and amateurs, yet they leave smart users out. Maybe we should question the credibility of the SBR. Actually, **** the SBR, they don't know anything if they're letting idiots like that in. If they agree that he's not making sense, why should we take him seriously? <insert a lot more of this>

(a week later)

Me (out in a general thread): Sheik has the potential to do well in tournaments, but she needs to be better represented.

Users: Why should we take your opinion seriously? We read what you said about Zelda in the backroom, and clearly you don't know much about the characters in this game. Why are you even in the backroom? I knew this and I also know Zelda sucks, so I probably know a lot more about this game than you do. Why are you still in the SBR if they disagree with you? lol, elitists.

Can we ignore these type of people? Of course we can, momentarily. But you, nor anyone here who has been on the Internet long enough should not underestimate the power that the crowds of on-lookers and judgmental people can bring. People will constantly pull stuff like this out against the SBR. It is ingrained in humans to find a way to feel superior to those who are, in their mind, placed on a pedestal. This spread of pseudo-superiority and the fact that you'd always have people trying to discredit the SBR because of something they got to see but didn't agree with (whether or not it was stupid, but I used a stupid example to get it across clearer) is very dangerous and very damaging to a community like this. You say that keeping everyone in the dark is bad enough, but I do not see how you can weigh the very slight chance that you'd get something really good from this against the incredibly large reality that it would, indeed, spread ignorance.
This is exactly what I've been trying to say.

Thanks for clearing up my poor wording and horrible English, SoR.

Just call yourself a hardcore wario person that doesn't care about tier lists anymore because you played him before the increase.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
This is exactly what I've been trying to say.

Thanks for clearing up my poor wording and horrible English, SoR.
Don't say that, you speak perfectly well.

While I and a few others would be fine with transparency, the powers that be aren't. If you really wish to try to make a difference, you would find much more success in discussing with them, not the rest of the SBR-B.
I would not mind if you could provide some names of the oh so divine beings. =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom