• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Ohio Brawl Power Rankings (11/25/12: NEW RANKINGS UPDATED!)

TheKiest

Smash Champion
Alright: The Panelists have come up with an "Active" player rule.

2 tournaments per "Season" with at least 14 players.
There must be close to a 1 to 4 ratio of PR/HM players (or OoS equiv) to non PR players.
If a player does so, then they are active.
The ratio is suppose to make it so that Gamestop tournaments (or any very small locals) do not count.
So far we have these tournes:

Brawl in the Hall 2, Owingsville, KY 9/25/10
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=287607

Ni-Kakuto-Geemu: Worthington, Ohio (Oct 2nd) RESULTS!!!!
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=288064

MLG DC 2010 Results - October 15th-17th
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=289173

The GP Affairs Ep. 1 "SCHWING! LoZ's Secret Word!" - Bloomington, IN - 10/23/10
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=289759

Delta Upsilon V Results - October 30th, 2010 - FULL RESULTS UP NOW!
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=290224

So if you have been to 2 of these already, then you are "active" enough to be on the next PR.

Thoughts?

clowsui

Smash Legend
I need one more tournament for activity -_-
Not making it out of pools at DU V really hurt me. I gotta step it up at PP4 and Nope's Monthly.

What's The Point

Smash Master
There must be close to a 1 to 4 ratio of PR/HM players (or OoS equiv) to non PR players.
If a player does so, then they are active.
You don't really need this. Say there is some Gamestop tournament that only Blue Rogue* goes to and wins. Even if there is 20+ people there, if it's all unknown people who haven't gone to any other tournament, he won't really get any PR points for it.

*Picked at random

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
You don't really need this. Say there is some Gamestop tournament that only Blue Rogue* goes to and wins. Even if there is 20+ people there, if it's all unknown people who haven't gone to any other tournament, he won't really get any PR points for it.

*Picked at random
Regardless, it's better to have an established guideline than to expect people to go with the flow on what is eligible for PR observation.

Nothing wrong with a precautionary measure in case things are ever called into question or what have you.

TheKiest

Smash Champion
It's more for the smaller local tournes.

If I host one that only has 8 people there.... depending on the results it hurts the people who travel to the larger events.

TheKiest

Smash Champion
Usually the placements AND who you beat determine this.

We don't look just at the 1v1 record between 2 people (that would be Inui logic), but how that player does overall.

Lets say some unknown beats Infern round 1 in winners. Then that player loses to someone not even on the HM then loses to say... me.

I go on to place top 5, getting eliminated by infern.

My top 5 placement would be more significant because I can prove that I can win not just one upset (Me getting 5th anywhere would be an upset, for those who don't know me) but do overall well at a tournament.....
At least in my opinion. (not that upsetting infern isn't significant)

Really the situation all depends on how the bracket turns out, PLUS the amount of tournaments a player has a chance to prove themselves.

My overall point is that, the bracket is a hard journey. Even if Links can beat KB and almost BR in a 6 man NEOH tourne, he needs to show that consistency of skill in the larger tournaments.

Kel

Smash Master
I do it based off who I think is the best overall. Recent tournaments with upsets change things too rapidly. You can usually tell when someone has made a skill jump rather than just using their placements.

Fun Fact: I never have, nor will I ever be #1 in Ohio

D

Deleted member

Wait a second... so, would it be wrong to say that the tier list should be done like this as well?
Ideally, the tier list should be based on MUs, but the Brawl community is too scatterbrained for that to work out, so there are a crapload of other factors that go into making it instead.

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
Ideally, the tier list should be based on MUs, but the Brawl community is too scatterbrained for that to work out, so there are a crapload of other factors that go into making it instead.
But why not base it off of which characters do better in tournament, rather than which characters we 'think' do better than other characters. That's like saying the best isn't the best only because he always loses to that one guy, every tournament they meet.

D

Deleted member

But why not base it off of which characters do better in tournament, rather than which characters we 'think' do better than other characters.
If you want to go that route, go look at the character rankings thread, which is now closed, sadly.

Wolf got dem results.

TheKiest

Smash Champion
The tier list is taking just the game into consideration (or should be).

Power rankings ONLY looks at the players and the human element behind the game. The top players are the players who know how to win using the means of the game. Tier lists are the theory behind the game.

@Kel: With that attitude you're right, heh.

Y.b.M.

Smash Master
Next time I play Shugo.. I'm going to defeat him... And thats the bottom line... cause Y.b.M. said So!!! *Glass Breaks*

Kel

Smash Master
cuz I can't beat Shugo's MK. Prior to now, when I deserved # 1. Nope didn't feel like updating the PR one month and just skipped it. Then Infern won two tournaments I didn't go to and bam. The rest is history.

But yeah, Shugo is like 9-0 with me now or something. He's more difficult for me than M2k

Top Bottom