• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official "Critique My Diddy" Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sai_:)

Smash Ace
Hey everyone, I'm posting a video of my brother's diddy kong. He doesnt have an account, but he wanted criticism from you guys here. The following video is me and him playing (I'm the snake xD) So criticism for his general Diddy Kong play, AND his matchup play against snake. Thanks for all your support!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDfBcwxWP5w

Kaptain Kong covered most of what I have to say but here goes mayne :)

Well for starters I would say definitely bring the rolling down to an absolute minimum. Snakes already got a bunch he can do in this matchup and having him read us is a nightmare. I have been hit with a few f-smashes because I was being predictable so just remember if snake reads you...he will murder you lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLUSBrHe8Yw&playnext_from=TL&videos=eTVic7fyGX8

^ THIIIIIIIIIIIS is what happens when snake gets reads so be super cautious

Also I noticed you would get in close range alot while being nanerless and thats kinda dangerous. Hell being close to snake is ****ty overall anyway :/ but if you are to do so you should definitely have a banana in hand first.

One last thing I saw was that at times while you were up in the air you would wait all the way until you hit the ground and THEN get the banana. Plucking a banana on the ground can often times be risky and that time in the air is fairly safe for it(or at least safe-ER).

Dont forget to practice those combo's and try to get more comfrotable with the bananas :)

Good luck, and i hope i didnt sound like a jerk or anything

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
Hey everyone, I'm posting a video of my brother's diddy kong. He doesnt have an account, but he wanted criticism from you guys here. The following video is me and him playing (I'm the snake xD) So criticism for his general Diddy Kong play, AND his matchup play against snake. Thanks for all your support!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDfBcwxWP5w
Alright, he has to work on his tempo a lot. Tempo is pretty impotant to Diddy as it helps to regulate yourself. You should always have that tempo in your mind when your playing, it really helps to prevent over attacking or defending. I learned this from a buddy of mine when playing Blanka in street fighter and I realized it applys pretty well to diddy as well.

The reason i'm telling you this is because you seemed to be all over the place doing random stuff and overall being beaten by the Snake. Some things he should definately work on is Glide Tossing and his banana game in general. Bananas are an amazing tool at controlling the stage and they can do everything from putting pressure to distancing yourself. He did none of that and just kinda threw them without any planning. Glide tossing makes your whole game faster and will make you less predictable. GT is mandatory for all Diddy Kongs looking to improve as it opens up so many options and makes bananas more of a pressure tool then a limp projectile.
Also it allows you to combo into any smash :bee:.

Here is the deal, you gotta work on mixups A LOT. There wasn't much variation mainly due to the above reasons (GT and bananas). Gotta work on making sure you are random to the opponent yet you know everything is going as planned. If it appears like you don't know wtf your doing yet you get results, then you probably have this mastered. It means you are in control of the situation and your opponent can't keep up with the mixups.

In summary, monitor tempo. Don't let it sway and keep a steady beat in your head. Learn to Glide toss and use it to control stage and opponent. Lrn2mixup, make it random to them but plan it out in your head.

Dakpo

Smash Lord
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXJDorO4ecM

im really trying to learn the match up so i decided pick up diddy him self.
so dont be gentle :)
in this match i felt like i had no stage control what so ever. every time i threw a banana down its like it didnt even matter, and if i threw it upwards he would grab it. How do i utilize bananas better?

redrighthand

Smash Apprentice
Me sandbagging before the greatest tourney I ever went to, what could be more interesting to critique ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LviwL8y4KCw

*yea. less airdodges. I fixed that already, no need to point it out :)*
Not that I have much experience to go from, but what I can take from that match is that you may want to stay on the ground more; considering Diddy has the ability to be much more of a threat there than when he is stuck in the air against an Mk. And when you are in the air, Fair is beast.

Nice gimp btw <3

Oh and if you are on the ground and have the chance remember to tilt shield up against the nado.

tibs7

Smash Champion
teneban learning how to airdodge through nado when you get caught in it is also pretty useful. ;)

vivi69

Smash Rookie
Teneban maybe go for different ledge recoveries. Like when you were coming back from the edge the mk predicted you. Maybe go for a drop to a jump forward to get back on stage to get him out of your face. Or maybe wall jump off the stage to a back air to a side b kick for a nice lil get back on the stage combo.

Also tell me how my diddy is please? I am facing my friends falco. I think he ends up trying to l cancel a couple of times thinking it was melee.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhbVMsETWlc

redrighthand

Smash Apprentice
Teneban maybe go for different ledge recoveries. Like when you were coming back from the edge the mk predicted you. Maybe go for a drop to a jump forward to get back on stage to get him out of your face. Or maybe wall jump off the stage to a back air to a side b kick for a nice lil get back on the stage combo.

Also tell me how my diddy is please? I am facing my friends falco. I think he ends up trying to l cancel a couple of times thinking it was melee.

Mix up your approaches, be careful with your grabs. Diddy has a decent grab, but you can be punished for it. When you are hit by your own Banana, mix up the way you get up; either with a roll, attack, or plain get up.

redrighthand

Smash Apprentice
At the minute your Diddy seems a bit sluggish and a bit slow, I take it that your fairly new to him. Work on the basics until you can work on them no more; Glide tossing, Dribbling, Instant-throwing, etc. This general banana management will improve your banana game, and hence consequently your Diddy game in general.

Work on controlling and mixing up your pace and the pace of the game. IMO in this match you spent a lot of time thinking about what you were going to do, thus putting a you step behind in the match. If the tech is second nature you can create and react at any speed and know that your fingers know what to do.

I've been about all over the place, so, I recommend that you work on your Naners, and utilise short-hops more; especially considering Diddy's beastly Fair. When you hit your opponent with a banana you have a number of options, it's your chance to go offensive. Your window of opportunity to take control. Always consider your follow ups to a banana throw.

vivi69

Smash Rookie
Thrillagorilla.
The main thing I could see with the matches you played is loss of banana control. Now that is a key thing when fighting anyone who uses them against you. The R.O.B. used them against you so well and you just needed to adjust with maybe have one banana out and in your hand at all times so you can control it instead of two where he can pick up the other one. Also in the first video it seemed like you had trouble just finding that kill move. There was one point I believe where you had him at 200% and you were at like 70 and he ended up killing you. You slowed down to get the extra banana out and he capitalized on that. Maybe try to get that finishing move off before worrying about bringing out that second banana?

BurnBurn

Smash Apprentice
Lol I see alot of myself in Thrillagorilla :l Losing banana control, struggling to kill.

I would stay at 1 banana so that opponents skilled with your naners wouldn't use it against you

cong

Smash Journeyman

0:14 meh, he fire bird, maybe you could of threw the nana or even might of grabbed ledge. (probaly not enough time) falco using firebird is you want, if it happens take full advantange of it.

0:30 shouldn't have missed the grab

alot of rolling after that :<

0:40 could of pummuled at least once (refreshing your moves is soo important)

0:51 got punished for rolling into him

1:06 Rolled into a DSmash

1:36 maybe went for a shield grab instead of rolling

1:43 failed the barrell, i personally dont think its worth the risk / reward but if its ya style its up to you

meh there some mistakes i saw, you need to mix up your approach
and try not just roll behind him because your not always getting punished but its happening and ur not getting much out of it, you did get a DSmash once but just rolling like that in general is not what you want to do, it looked like a habit so try to stop yourself from doing it.
also you pick up your bananas soleing using Dash attack when it wasn't needed 2:49 for example, you easily could of just pressed A.

well HTH

-Cong

ADHD

Smash Hero
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWKzY8mpXQ0

This is my most recent match with a good player. JMIX does NOT main Ike, but I still feel this is a pretty good representation of my current game.
You roll too much when you're in an advantageous position, and even when you aren't, jumping is usually a better option than rolling behind the opponent. I feel like you should work on your shield pressure game, because often you simply throw it directly at him without even timing or hesitating than dash grab. That's extremely punishable. 1st kill was legit. I'd like to see more fair as well.

Smash Ace
I dont have too much to say I only noticed a few things

First off I'd say try to cut down on the rolling. If you get read out of a roll you can eat some major damage, Icies can potentially take a stock if they catch you so be wary of that.

Second I'd say try to use a little less dash attack. Admittedly Ive got the same problem when I autopilot but dash attack can be dangerous on shield. Sometimes it works out but more often than not they will grab you out of it. (again with the icies 1 grab can equal 1 stock)

Lastly there were a few times where you threw out a smash attack or two and the chances of it connecting were like...low. Make sure the attacks you use are attacks you KNOW will connect rather than ones that MAY connect. (geez I need to practice what I preach :/)

All in all your doing a great job and I could really only find a few nitpicky things. Also, hopefully this thread stays active and more people critique you as well. Good luck man :)

Choice

Smash Champion
thanks for the advice. yea you should have seen how much dash attack i used to be doing when i started out using diddy xD. also the rolls are caz i'm not used to glide tossing so much, but yea i'm working on it. thanks again.

Zmoney2006

Smash Rookie
Hey dude I am no pro so if you don't want to take my advice that's fine but I hope you will.

First off, from watching and rewatching the match it is obviously apparent that you def know your stuff in regards to the multitude of attacks Diddy brings to the table. You didn't hesitate to use his F-tilt and D-tilt on multiple occasions where they were def the right choice to use. You also were very aggressive in regards to your playstyle which only seems to work if you know what you're doing which you seemed to be capable of.

I will see however that in my personal opinion there were a few times here and there where it seemed that you were a bit TOO aggressive, or at least you acted in an aggressive matter at the wrong time putting yourself into a negative situation just to get that one more hit. Most of these were times where you pummeled IC and then sent them flying off the side only to have you use one or both of your jumps just to reach them for another strike instead of being slightly patient and allowing them to get into a more safeable reach. There was also a time or two where you went for a spike/attack quite early after them respawning and them having very little damage. This ended up costing you a life (2:03 - 2:09) unneedingly but I understand the rush you get from an aggressive playstyle so its ok. I also agree that after awhile a few of those dash attacks became forseeable (you did it after every banana toss whether it was shielded or not) and that could have definitely been punished.

All in all I say 8/10 stars here dude. You are indeed a very talented player.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
I'm headed to Siege this weekend, so I need some serious critique. This match is the third Winner's Finals match vs. JMIX, the best player who goes to the University of Alabama (Mario and Luigi main). I'd already lost two, so I decided to try something new and took him to Luigi's Mansion (a stage I have never played on before). I think I learned how to camp on my last stock, and the match ended up a lot closer than I expected. Any critique is appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjdvMkkl-Zw

Yes, I was playing quite poorly for the first minute or so because I was really not used to the stage. Try to critique the later portions of the match please.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
I'm headed to Siege this weekend, so I need some serious critique. This match is the third Winner's Finals match vs. JMIX, the best player who goes to the University of Alabama (Mario and Luigi main). I'd already lost two, so I decided to try something new and took him to Luigi's Mansion (a stage I have never played on before). I think I learned how to camp on my last stock, and the match ended up a lot closer than I expected. Any critique is appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjdvMkkl-Zw

Yes, I was playing quite poorly for the first minute or so because I was really not used to the stage. Try to critique the later portions of the match please.
bro, u got skills i would NEVER go here against anyone who has jablocks xD cuz that **** aint fun man :\. but yea bro spotdodging next to luigi LITERALLY means UPB ME IM SO OPEN...cmon man :[ upb kills u at like 45 xD. good match tho man. the luigi matchup is literally like keep the lead and use moves on luigis shield that WILL send him far, a legit strategy is to time him out and/or bait approaches

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLEXBn_bunw

my set with mvd. usually dont do this bad but damm mvd's projectile game just overwhelmed me D= (i HAVE to look at my opponent more cuz those landmines screwed me)

tibs7

Smash Champion
Don't bother going diddy againt snake unless they have no idea about the MU.
Snake destroys diddy quite badly.
Also dfear, you got hit by so many grenades=\.

tibs7

Smash Champion
Yeah they quite good, I don't understand why ADHD says they are bad in the MU?
Also FF upair with snake is what alot of snakes will do *sigh* its frame adv. Isn't to bad at all.

Yikarur

Smash Master
Hey guys! I want to become better with Diddy but it seems I'm doing something completly wrong, it just doesn't feel right while playing and while watching other peoples Diddy..
I hope I'll get some new videos up sometimes so you can help me ;O; *whine*
Diddy is so awesome, I HAVE to become good with him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HszcKoyi_Q
thats an older vid of me, but I hope I can be helped with it D:

-Googs

Smash Lord
^ Grab more, Don't autopilot, and don't ALWAYS throw your banana forward when you glidetoss. mix it up, you threw so many nan's off the edge lawl

DFEAR

Smash Hero
im just focusing more on getting the snake off stage than the actual match lol

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
Okay, if you could only ever critique one of my matches, PLEASE critique this one! It's from Siege and the second game is the closest tournament game I've ever played. I've never played against a tournament-level Falco before this match, so get at me at everything I did wrong.

Ingulit (Diddy) vs Pain (Falco) at Siege
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_csDhMF00W0
You roll and spot dodge too much which is a bad habit. Tell the friends you play with to punch you in the arm every time you get punished for rolling or spot dodging. This can help you get rid of this habit.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
he will keep spotdodging unless he is punished FOR spotdodging. punching him will not make him spotdodge thats true but then it will become a habit to NOT spotdodge if u understand me. these evasive tools are given to u to use them not abuse them. anyway. u as a diddy main should know better than to spotdodge a banana throw from another character. u have a shield and u can have the reactions to catch it, dont handicap urself.

as the match went. u both didnt know either ones matchup at all honestly :\.

Player-1

Smash Legend
lol, I used to punch my friend every time he used fair with falco when I was teaching him how to play competitively.

Smash Ace
Okay Ingulit here are a few things I noticed you doing.

As jebus+dfear both said you do spot dodge/ air dodge too often and it leaves you vulnerable it situations where you otherwise would have been safe .Take 5:55 for example, you had a full shield and falco was charging an f-smash. unfortunately you spotdodged at the end rather than just remaining in shield and got hit with it, and accidentally di'd downwards as a result :(

Mixup your ledge options. I saw you doing fair more than anything and as awesome as fair is(god knows I all love going for it) its not always the safest option. its pretty easily punished tbh

I would also recommend keeping the bananas more in play. there were decent chunks of time where there werent bananas on the field and you would approach and attack alot without them in hand or near by.

Hope I didnt sound like a douche :/

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
Thanks everyone. I'll definitely work on Shielding more/Spotdoging less... I thought I had broken that habit, but tournament pressure was getting to me xD

And DFEAR, outside of my group of friends who play me often, this guy used Bananas better than anyone I've played, so I wouldn't be surprised if he had a Diddy to play against. l definitely didn't know the match-up, but why do you say he didn't either?

EDIT: And sai, no, you don't sound like a douche at all :p Thanks for the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom