• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official "Critique My Diddy" Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
otherwise hed be using jab more often plus a player who has diddy exp knows better than to throw a banana at diddy (its different if ur throwing the banana at the player), it is much wiser to down throw it or up throw it to create a temporary wall /discourage rolling/approaching .

Count

Smash Champion
http://www.youtube.com/user/Calebyte

7or so matches from a small tourney i won last weekend. hit me up.

@ing most people got at what you could fix. your diddy is really good/smooth your player habits just aren't the best right now. on top of fixing your habits work on READING the opponent..I feel like there were a few obvious illusions onto the stage that you could've punished. Good job though! You're extremely impressive for a diddy that rarely hits up tournaments (or has rarely thus far)

Schwa

Smash Apprentice
Bump.

Post count +1 :awesome:

EDIT: Oh and RiverDB, i got a random tip for ya: when playing against Pikachu, charge upB before you get hit by a neutralB. When it hits your upB the barrels will take off and fly around the stage and hopefully hit your opponent.

Boofy!

Smash Champion
You're great at using nanas to make openings, I guess it comes with the tink territory haha

If the opponent isn't approaching/you knocked them away and you can't follow up. Pull bananas. everytime you can get them out, do it.

When recovering from up high try using wavebounced peanuts and banana pulls to mix it up and get back on the ground safely, gaw priority is gay and diddy's air mobility isn't very good so you can get messed up.. diddy loves the ground.

Your diddy is very good though, you should have won that match that SD was unfortunate.

Also you didn't shoot a single peanut that entire match, peanuts are key for playing diddy, get on that.

Your a natural, diddy should come to you without much trouble, good luck.

there are obv better people on here for a critique.. I did my best though.

Jebu-95

Smash Journeyman
Yo dawgs :)

Here's a set from a tourney. It's against a Falco player, and we two are pretty much equally good. I've been struggling with this matchup for a while so I could use some tips and critique.

Match 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3nSC4GYfyc
Match 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnMnoC_bJ5Y&feature=related
Guys, Diddy-mainers, Why dont you try to critique those 2 matches?
I dare say that this guys Diddy has very good potential (top 3 in this country), even though I dont play Diddy myself.

VonDarkmoon

Smash Apprentice
Yo dawgs :)

Here's a set from a tourney. It's against a Falco player, and we two are pretty much equally good. I've been struggling with this matchup for a while so I could use some tips and critique.

Match 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3nSC4GYfyc
Match 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnMnoC_bJ5Y&feature=related
so i dont have much time so i only saw the first 2 mins of match one but here's what i noticed:

PUMMEL! every time you got a grab i never saw one pummel. Idk how hard he was mashing so if it was pretty hard then it's fine, but when you got a grab when he was at 130% that's a guaranteed 1-2 pummels which is free damage.

Careful when approaching falco when he has the windmill above him, he pretty much had a free kill he just messed it up, approaching falco in general i feel you need to be really cautious at.

Good read on the phantom to take first stock, well timed and everything.

that's all i got to see, i'll give more of my opinion should i get time to it.

Schwa

Smash Apprentice
Thanks a lot VonDarkmoon!

I watched the match you posted and I've got some random tips:

When D3 is above you and you have a naner or two at your disposal, throw one up. If they airdodge, you can punish them with an aerial on their last frames of the airdodge. It's very easy to do this to the big characters such as DK, D3 and Bowser for example, because their hurtbox is so big. You can combo them into an aerial if the naner hits. It's basically a free kill at higher percentages and if you mix it up by doing different aerials every time it happens, they don't know where to DI.

You can throw D3 up when he's on very low percentages, this will give you a free aerial or two depending on how they react.

Other than that I think you played well, those F-tilts on first stock were well spaced and the ending was awesome.

VonDarkmoon

Smash Apprentice
Thanks a lot VonDarkmoon!

I watched the match you posted and I've got some random tips:

When D3 is above you and you have a naner or two at your disposal, throw one up. If they airdodge, you can punish them with an aerial on their last frames of the airdodge. It's very easy to do this to the big characters such as DK, D3 and Bowser for example, because their hurtbox is so big. You can combo them into an aerial if the naner hits. It's basically a free kill at higher percentages and if you mix it up by doing different aerials every time it happens, they don't know where to DI.

You can throw D3 up when he's on very low percentages, this will give you a free aerial or two depending on how they react.

Other than that I think you played well, those F-tilts on first stock were well spaced and the ending was awesome.
Really appreciate it. D3 has always been a slightly tough MU for me. Hopefully i can get some more recent stuff after the tournament this weekend should i feel i need the help/advice.

again, thank you though ^_^

mdmfromdaridge

Smash Journeyman
ok so im a pretty noob diddy but please critique the hell out of me i need to fix lots of stuff and knowing what those things are is the first step in improving
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OJ_l4GMZF0

P.S. I JUST started playing diddy
I can see that you have some of the at's in the works which is good, but I certainly noticed a good few things that are worth taking note of.

First of all, you got punished time and time and time and time again using the side-B to recover. Be careful about repeating that to often. On that stage specifically you could have jumped from below with a uair and then barreled onto the stage after relieving pressure. you could have waited until you were below the ledge to sideb and then barreled into the auto ledge grab. What i saw several times was that you would get even with the stage and throw the side b out, and he would just smash you back out. That, or you would get the ledge, then drop off>second jump> sideB and he would punish just the same. Marth is a great edgeguard, so you gotta mix it up more.

I also noticed that you were using the dash attack to get bananas ALL THE TIME. Just be more careful with that, because that's asking to get punished if your opponent starts reading it a bit. Just run up and press down+Z, or stop and hit A. Also recatching bananas off of shields and hits is FANTASTIC for applying shield pressure. Hit>recatch> hit > peanut > tilt, whatever the situation needs. But try to recatch bananas if you think you can without getting punished.

I noticed you also didn't use his bananas for much more other then straight horizontal throws. You can use it to edge guard by placing on on the edge and holding one, then when he goes to get up, you can zdrop over the ledge, or throw during his lag frames from the stand up or something. You can use them to control his spacing by throwing one up into the air, therefore making a straight line in the air that he would be taking a risk in trying to cross. Simply placing one someplace will limit him, so you can just use it to keep him on a certain area of the stage.

Finally, try to not rely on the nanas too much. They are a huge part of diddys game, i know, and they are quite essential to handling some match ups, but there were several times in this match, where you had an opportunity to juggle him, throw a few utilts, a uair, some dtilts or something to rack damage, and instead you would run straight to your nearest banana, and often times get punishing trying to do so. When I think about diddy, I see him in 2 zones. No nana game, and yes nana game. Because of the way he operates, you need to be good at both. So i would suggest spending some time practicing where you don't even pull nanas. It will force you to learn new ways around your opponents, making you more practical with his tilts, jab, grabs, aerials, and peanuts. Then when you add bananas, not only will you have a great utility for stage control, but you will be able to use diddy himself to his max potential.

Don't mean to rag on your diddy, I was simply pointing out some flaws so you can work on them. You were doing alright and you clearly understood the concepts of the glidetosses and his tilts. Just learn some more diversity.

ChaosDrifter

Smash Lord
thanks mdmfromdaridge, i'll keep that in mind during practice and in friendlies and improve my diddy to a decent level soon

Schwa

Smash Apprentice
Damn, an awesome D-air spike once again.

In 2:19 (match 2 on brinstar) you could've abused the thingie(I'm not sure what those things are called) in front of you by doing an F-tilt. It would have extended the hitbox and probably killed your opponent.
When the yellow acid hits both of you and you're under them after the hit, it's possible to kill with U-air. It's very fast, which is why they won't always expect it. You might know this already, but when you throw a naner on the things that hold the two parts of the stage together, it bounces on it. That way it creates a wall for a some seconds. Some players try to catch the naner with an airdodge. If they do so, punish the last frames of their airdodge.

Another thing that I find really useful in Brinstar is the sideB->wall jump->aerial that ADHD did in this match at 0:17 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJQqmRlngkY Most players don't even know that Diddy is capable of doing it, so it can catch them off guard.

When you're shooting peanuts, it's safer to charge them a slight bit. That way you still have time to shield if they are attempting to punish it.

At 1:42 Koopa catched a peanut with a F-air. You can punish them when they do so, because right after they've catched it, their options ar quite limited. In that particular situation an aerial just after the F-air would've done it.

At 1:44 you could've gotten a free kill by throwing the naner up and doing an aerial.

SH U-air is very good at punishing Marth before they land on the ground after their upB.

Rabbi Nevins

Smash Lord
my two cents: Your shielding too long and too frequently because you arent sure what to do next. Overall your playing very reactively and waiting for your opponent to make every move, then you respond somewhat appropriately. Because of this, when your opponent isnt approaching directly, you shield and take time to think. You should try transitioning into playing more based on prediction less based on reaction. Instead of shielding you could just space properly and work on your stage control and your bananas positioning

Your bananas should be helping you close in on your opponent, not just for combos. You seem to have the tech skill down though!

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
my two cents: Your shielding too long and too frequently because you arent sure what to do next. Overall your playing very reactively and waiting for your opponent to make every move, then you respond somewhat appropriately. Because of this, when your opponent isnt approaching directly, you shield and take time to think. You should try transitioning into playing more based on prediction less based on reaction. Instead of shielding you could just space properly and work on your stage control and your bananas positioning

Your bananas should be helping you close in on your opponent, not just for combos. You seem to have the tech skill down though!
Thanks. Pretty much everything you said is true. I don't really like prediction because I like guaranteed punishes so if I can't get them, I panic.

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
Hey guys, thanks for keeping this thread alive! Hopefully everyone has been getting the critiques they want. I haven't been around at all in here and I miss you all...

FelixTrix

Smash Journeyman
New footage of my diddy kong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhCLk3kevkQ (Me vs NGAGE offline)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BL_Saa2wRXY (Me vs NGAGE offline)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-ed6eedWDQ&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL (Me vs JPNumbers wifi)

Please be as critical as possible.
Learn to pick up bananas other than dash attacking. your playstyle looks ********.

it looks like you're just glidetossing into snake without thinking.

BTW: this is a CRITIQUE SECTION. if you want to post vids of you 3 stocking your friends who have never played this game in their lives, post it in "funny".

overall: knows how to glidetoss, bad autopilot. side b'd into a snake fsmash LOL pick up pit or something pleease

:D

Narz

Smash Rookie
I personally am new to Diddy Kong, and I'm looking to improve. I have yet to upload videos of my Diddy Kong, though. I really hope the Diddy Boards can help me out on becoming a competitive Diddy Kong main.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom