• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official "Critique My Diddy" Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DiSQO_BuNNY

Smash Lord
NNID
DisqoBunny
Bro I think you did an excellent job. The hits the Marth got off of you were minimal, you made him uncomfortable, stayed on the ground, good downthrows when he hesitated. You missed a lot of edge hogging greatness, but meh, the rest of the matches were quick, to the point, and just straight brutal in execution. I definitely like the pressure you put on. Good ish.

:phone:

Player-1

Smash Legend
play a lot more campy against D3, you may even want to try that against MK, but I thought you were controlling the pace of the match pretty well in WF on Siege. You need to work on your banana placements and be more aware of where the bananas are and how they can affect the match, ex: d3 has the slowest aerial speed in the game and fastest fall speed in the game, by using too many jumps and being above you you should have bananas around you on the ground so he'll fall into them and stuff like that. Be able to adapt to where bananas are on stage and look for how where the banana placements are and how you can use them to your advantage. Against aerial chars like D3 and MK, throw bananas in the air when they're in the air at them and then punish them for trying to catch the bananas or combo out of them if it hits them. Learn to tech, on PS1 against Falco you missed so many on the windmill transformation, and also you kept rolling into or DIing into him after you got hit from the windmill, don't do that either. Be a lot more patient, and you need to get bananas out faster, like your whole 2nd stock on PS1 against Falco you didn't pull out any even though you had plenty of opportunities and it really limited your approach options and you got like 80 damage off of that. Use more side-b in general, it's a really good move. Be more patient on his shield, you like to throw out attacks a lot when he approaches you, but he just shields most of them and punishes you, again side-b can help that.

Zinoto

Smash Lord
Good Diddy!!!!

Hey guys, I'm a Wario main from Louisiana who's just picked up Diddy about a couple months ago. Any critiques for me would be awesome!

From Voodoo Smash III (10/28/11):
Lee Martin :metaknight: :dedede: vs JNig :warioc: :diddy: WF

From New Orleans Monthly 14 (11/5/11):
JNig :diddy: vs Jio :dedede: :kirby2:
Lee Martin :metaknight: :falco: vs JNig :warioc: :diddy: GF
P1 did a really good job with his opinion, don't know if there's much left.

You have a really good :wario:, you're patient and can realize utilize his aerial mobility. However, I got the feeling that you kept trying to put type of gameplay into you're Diddy. In most of Diddy MU's (especially the :metaknight: one) bananas are key and for some reason you only liked to have 1 out at a time. The reason why Diddy has a significant advantage over :dedede: is because he can't handle Diddy's camping. Also, MK thrives when characters are in the air, and you liked to stay there as if you were playing Wario. You have a really good Diddy, but you gotta draw that distinction between your characters. I liked the fact that you kept really mobile without bananas, but Diddy needs them so that he doesn't get messed up by most of these characters. I felt like you easily should've had that D3 match, but you didn't capitalize on the usage of your bananas. Also learn to Monkey Flip Kick Cancel, this would've really helped in your matches. Main 3 things,

1. Use bananas
2. Rather than trying to match characters aerial game (this becomes a huge problem against characters like :peach:, :metaknight:, :wario: and :kirby2:) shut it down with upward banana tosses and peanuts.
3. MONKEY FLIP KICK.
4. Learn them Match-Ups, no reason to put yourself at a disadvantage ^_^.

Vega4

Smash Ace
@Vato_Break, I just saw those vids vs Marth, good stuff. Your Diddy is pretty cool, keep uploading vids.

OldAnthem27

Smash Journeyman
Not bad! The Ike was really good! I have a friend that plays a mean Ike; he can really be astounding when played correctly.

Concerning your Diddy....

The thing I most noticed was that you did not have a solid banana game. You certainly knew to use bananas, but you didn't use them to their full potential. It varies depending on whom you are playing, but it's generally good have two bananas out, and to use them not only to set up nasty combos, but to apply pressure (Unless you're playing a Falco, in which pressuring with bananas tends to wind up with a reflector in your face-watch out for that).

I normally have two bananas out. I try to always have access to at least one of the bananas at all times (sometimes it doesn't work, but you just have to try). I believe that Diddy Kong is very much a character that MUST utilize momentum.; try to trip your opponent up and keep them down as long as possible, and work on some handy combos. Don't forget that peanuts are also good for applying pressure and for irritating foes when trying to get back on stage. The best advice I have for you, then, is to get comfortable with bananas (it's huge in Diddy's metagame, you can't really main him and not use his bananas), and work on applying pressure and setting up and accomplishing combos.

I think you can do well!

Lastly, I didn't watch all of your matches. I really only watched the first one, if that match wasn't indicative of how you normally play, then please disregard what I just said, otherwise, good luck in the future!

~ Sombra (that's my tag)

OldAnthem27

Smash Journeyman
Glad to help! If you want to check out some of my videos, search "SOMBRA DIDDY."

My matches vs. Infern and the other person are from 2009. My matches against Alphazealot are from Spring 2010. Also, when you watch that match, watch how Alphazealot plays. He is better than me; at least, at the time of that specific tournament. He is one of the best Diddy players in the American Midwest. It's a ditto, so it looks really annoying, haha.

I've gotten a lot better since then. I managed to beat him on the second match, but he took the set.

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
I like your playstile :)

I always try to learn as much as I can and evrything that people advice me will help me a lot.
If someone says things like you use fair a bit to much I try to work on it the same week. xD

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
It's been a long time since I played Brawl, and this is my first day back in a few months:

Ingulit (Diddy) vs JMIX (Mario) 2-17-12
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12EW27VhPWc&feature=youtu.be

This is a friendly against JMIX who was recently put on our PR. I technically won the match, but only because I lucked out in that he didn't edgeguard me properly at the end. Any critique would be appreciated.

Zinoto

Smash Lord
It's been a long time since I played Brawl, and this is my first day back in a few months:

Ingulit (Diddy) vs JMIX (Mario) 2-17-12
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12EW27VhPWc&feature=youtu.be

This is a friendly against JMIX who was recently put on our PR. I technically won the match, but only because I lucked out in that he didn't edgeguard me properly at the end. Any critique would be appreciated.
This is the first time I've watched you play, you did pretty well against JMIX. Your banana game is a bit too linear though, as if you really wanted to hit him with them. Bananas act better as traps. Most people shield whenever they see you glide toss (doesn't matter which direction you throw it), so try to punish this, but mix it up. If you do decide to throw it at them, what a lot of people do is spot dodge right after you hit their shield. Punish it. Other than that that was pretty solid play, for being MIA for a couple of months ^_^

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
I think that there are a few things you allready note.
for 1 you need more banana's I saw almost none secs
vs Ganon you have much time to pop 2 out even before he is at your side of the stage.
and sacond don't just stand there.move more and attack more=)
and mu based never uproach ganon.
take out 2 nanas grab 1 and put the other right before you than spam peanuts Ganon can't uproach you safe.And if he does punish him with banana's

I give 1 of my own vids so you can watch me I am not that good so you can easely see what does happen =)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdMcHfKr0gA

@Ingulit I love your diddy man =) it's really good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCSAF5jIV6A&feature=related
it's obvious that the first set was played a lot better
but I did improve a lot.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
Here's a video of me getting destroyed by snake: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUP4lBG8Hok

Here's a video of me beating samus: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPE913iTInQ&feature=related

I should have a video against MK as well pretty soon. Critique would be much appreciated. Thanks :)
The one thing that bugs me the most when I watch your videos is when you willingly give up stage control for free. Take 1:43 of your match against Big D, for example: he's in the air, trying to get back to the stage. You follow his landing, use your bananas to get a grab on him, and throw him back off to make him try again. That's great, but when he comes back the second time, you just back off to center stage and dash dance for a bit, waiting for him to land safely. You then retreat to the far side of the stage, giving him all the room he wants to set himself back up. This is exactly what you shouldn't be doing in this situation. Whenever you force Snake offstage, your goal in life is to keep him from ever landing again. You have bananas, he has very limited landing options, and you should be abusing these facts to get as much damage on him (and hopefully a KO, though you don't want to force it) as you possibly can. Platform in the way? If he goes for it, throw a banana at his landing and go from there. You have to be able to keep pressure going on your opponents when they're in unfavorable positions; this is vital against Snake, but it's a very important skill in general as well.

:005:

Zinoto

Smash Lord
Here's a video of me getting destroyed by snake: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUP4lBG8Hok

Here's a video of me beating samus: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPE913iTInQ&feature=related

I should have a video against MK as well pretty soon. Critique would be much appreciated. Thanks :)
You didn't press the one advantage you do have over :snake: at all, he sucks offstage. If you look back at the match, whenever you threw him off stage you didn't go after him, even one time. This is what makes the MU winnable for us. You have to go after him once you get him offstage and rack up the damage. Also, you have to less predictable, you weren't playing bad necessarily, but I can tell you're not too familiar with the MU. :snake: hits hard, so you have to stop getting hit so much. I think once you get the hang of the matchup, your matches with BigD will be a lot closer.

Shhhhh, he'll see you if you post ;)

Kantrip

Kantplay
Wow. That stage control thing. It makes so much sense, and I see it! My instinct of running across the stage just to pull out bananas is really screwing me, isn't it? I never thought about the stage control I was losing before. JJ, you are the best.

You too, Zinoto. Matchup experience needs to accumulate for me and those tips really do help. Thanks guys :)

Here's the match against an mk: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTDrTBh8_p0&feature=youtu.be

WhoDaThunk

Smash Rookie
God, those ledge battles were good. And can someone say NANER x4!!! Only thing I saw was not finishing on a couple of naner locks. But other than that, it was great. Diddy vs Diddy is as fun as.. a barrel of monkeys!!

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
Some matches from my monthly last weekend:

vs. Breez :metaknight: [1] [2] (WSFs)

I don't think either of us is really any good at the MU to be honest. XD

vs. Captain L :pikachu2: [1] [3] [5] (GFs Set 2)

I feel like I was playing at my best for those last 2 games of GFs, even though I got kinda lucky at parts. :x (I went DK for the other matches, which is why they're labelled as 1, 3, and 5) Any tips anybody could give would be greatly appreciated!

:005:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom