• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official "Critique My Diddy" Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

OverLade

Smash Hero
Hey Diddy Kawngs. I'd appreciate it if you've critique my apprentice, Fidel Cashflow. He's a Diddy player that I've been mentoring almost from scratch (casual player). He's incredibly talented but a little trigger happy with aggression and impatient with kills. I feel that he definitely has the potential to be a top Diddy player, especially given he has me to practice with in the MK matchup. He will always be aggressive, so I'm gonna focus on teaching him to apply safe pressure.

There are a couple fundamental options he doens't use, mainly dash shield -> wait -> banana throw etc, but any critique is appreciated and I'll relay what I think is important.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXrsRjefWwE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Vtw4qsKbGk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhhK8REsTMo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N0fhWsKnM4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Df988gbDXs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr2i-IrWH7c

Appreciate it!

OverLade

Smash Hero
Wtf how is that advice? I told you I've been training him from scratch... he's never been to a tournament before. So of course he's not super technical but that isn't critique...

-Googs

Smash Lord
Wtf how is that advice? I told you I've been training him from scratch... he's never been to a tournament before. So of course he's not super technical but that isn't critique...
Simmer down. I'm just saying if he wants to be better, he should work on his tech skill. I consider that advice. No need to get defensive amigo. He was missing a lot of instant catches, giving you more time to approach. It's really important in the MK mu to have really good banana control and to keep them always moving, otherwise MK gains momentum thus making it easier for him to get diddy offstage. Once he feels more comfortable with banana's, and does the proper follow ups after hitting MK with a banana, im sure his improvement will have a breakthrough.

Boofy!

Smash Champion
first off, best. tag. ever.

a fast improvement he make to his game is recovering smarter, i mean you are halzy and cover alot of options well but diddy should never get juggled THAT bad, even by MK. Save second jump for after side-b, wavebounce peanuts etc.. mix it up. speaking of peanuts, he should shoot them more.. even if it goes against his aggressive nature. he also has an ADing habit.. especially after D-throw.. which puts him in a bad spot like every damn time.

also why does he play possum out of hitstun and just tumble while falling low? lol random

uhmm dumb habits like rolling and using dash attack too much which are fixed fairly easily.

sorry i couldnt help more.. pregudtho

OldAnthem27

Smash Journeyman
Man, for not playing in a tournament setting or having prior smash knowledge, he did play well. He navigated decently well around Meta Knight. My advice may seem obvious, but it will always be worth mentioning. I think he should use his bananas considerably more --both for defense and offense. A banana should always be in hand or within reach when playing a Meta Knight to allow any whiff to result in a slip and subsequent followup. But he is pretty good for just starting. I'm sure if he incorporates more of Diddy's meta-game he will do fine! It just takes time. It is advantageous for him that he has a Meta Knight to practice against. I have no one to practice with. I only get good practice when I go to tournaments.

If anyone could give my Diddy some more critique I would appreciate it! Look on page 43 or 44 for my videos. Really, I'll be going to a School is in Session (huge midwest tournament) soon and I want to be ready!

OverLade

Smash Hero
Well I appreciate all the advice regardless. Sorry for coming off as hostile. Anyway I'm still in the lab with him. I'm more focused on helping him with fundamentals and bad habits than Diddy stuff right now though. I feel pretty confident that he'll progress quickly over the course of the next few weeks.

Vega4

Smash Ace
i just picked up diddy and this is my first tourney with him so please tell me wat i was doing wrong i want to further my diddy so i would like the really good diddys to critique please.

only one game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8_qEKxo-uc
I see first 2 minutes, and I would say that you are what people call an "auto-pilot Diddy". You just try to do a lot of stuff pretty fast, and that could work vs non experimented players, but when you face a good player, you lose.

I think that every Diddy player has that same problem when they are starting to play Braw, but when you get more experience you`ll learn to slow it down, and think befor acting.

exdia_16

Smash Journeyman
I see first 2 minutes, and I would say that you are what people call an "auto-pilot Diddy". You just try to do a lot of stuff pretty fast, and that could work vs non experimented players, but when you face a good player, you lose.

I think that every Diddy player has that same problem when they are starting to play Braw, but when you get more experience you`ll learn to slow it down, and think befor acting.
okay wat do you mean by more exp. just diddy or in general because im not a noob nor auto pilot i copyed gnes and ADHD i watched vids for about 3 MLGs i played like the both of them and i almost beat the best mk in VA and i know about auto piloting i main luigi we look for that lol but i want to know wat i did wrong not how bad i am(not to be rude) i know its a critique thread but when you play against M2K and other AP mks you have to play fast but not too fast but slow enough to be fast i understand wat you mean and dont forget i never played diddy til that match(lol) boss thinks i did better than any other of my mains but i kneed wisdom,help,and some habit breakers.

Dekar173

Justice Man
okay wat do you mean by more exp. just diddy or in general because im not a noob nor auto pilot i copyed gnes and ADHD i watched vids for about 3 MLGs i played like the both of them and i almost beat the best mk in VA and i know about auto piloting i main luigi we look for that lol but i want to know wat i did wrong not how bad i am(not to be rude) i know its a critique thread but when you play against M2K and other AP mks you have to play fast but not too fast but slow enough to be fast i understand wat you mean and dont forget i never played diddy til that match(lol) boss thinks i did better than any other of my mains but i kneed wisdom,help,and some habit breakers.
You just weren't playing slow enough when you had the leads, happens to the best of us ;p

Vega4

Smash Ace
Ok. I didn't want to sound rude.
If you want specific critique, I would say that you do a lot of unnecesary stuff, for example:

- You use to much Diddy Forward B, and you used in every single distance, and because of this, you finish it a lot of time with Diddy Forwar B kick (Monkey Flip Kick) and that is reallly punishable. My advise, use it ramdomly and in the right distance (it's a great move when your opponet is aproachin), and use the Monkey kick preferably when you are NOT in the ground.
- Diddy dash attack is great to pick naners in the ground, but is not the best option if your opponent if in front of that naner, 'cause he can punish you easily. My advise: in those situations, you can pick those naners with a short hop forward air, thats the best whay of pick nanners in that situation.
- Don't try to gimp Metaknight... it can only work if you catch him for surprise, and specially, if he sucks (Goods MK can not be gimped by Diddy, at least not that easy...)
- Don't pull out new naners in front of MK face.
- Like Dekar173 said, when you have the lead, and even if you haven't, you should play more campy. Calm down, have one naner in your hand, another one in the floor (in front of you is the best option) and use your peanuts gun. Then, when the MK aproaches, punish with naners. It's not the funniest way to play, but is the more effective way to face goods MK.
- PUMMEL... when you grab him, get that extra percent before you trow him.
- You do a lot of unnecesary stuff, I understand you because Diddy is coolest character in brawl, and whe want to **** everybody, but sometimes, you need to play slow.

Linkvader

Smash Journeyman
Cool ENSIS, I just watched the first match so far. I hate Olimars, they make bananas hard to to hit with sometimes. You did pretty well for the most part. I don't think I can give much advice on it though... Just nanners carefully thrown can dodge the pikmin. Don't let him camp you, unless if you're good at dodging pikmin.

exdia_16

Smash Journeyman
Ok. I didn't want to sound rude.
If you want specific critique, I would say that you do a lot of unnecesary stuff, for example:

- You use to much Diddy Forward B, and you used in every single distance, and because of this, you finish it a lot of time with Diddy Forwar B kick (Monkey Flip Kick) and that is reallly punishable. My advise, use it ramdomly and in the right distance (it's a great move when your opponet is aproachin), and use the Monkey kick preferably when you are NOT in the ground.
- Diddy dash attack is great to pick naners in the ground, but is not the best option if your opponent if in front of that naner, 'cause he can punish you easily. My advise: in those situations, you can pick those naners with a short hop forward air, thats the best whay of pick nanners in that situation.
- Don't try to gimp Metaknight... it can only work if you catch him for surprise, and specially, if he sucks (Goods MK can not be gimped by Diddy, at least not that easy...)
- Don't pull out new naners in front of MK face.
- Like Dekar173 said, when you have the lead, and even if you haven't, you should play more campy. Calm down, have one naner in your hand, another one in the floor (in front of you is the best option) and use your peanuts gun. Then, when the MK aproaches, punish with naners. It's not the funniest way to play, but is the more effective way to face goods MK.
- PUMMEL... when you grab him, get that extra percent before you trow him.
- You do a lot of unnecesary stuff, I understand you because Diddy is coolest character in brawl, and whe want to **** everybody, but sometimes, you need to play slow.

thats wat i kneeded thank you that sounds about right okay so play slow enough that its effective,be patience and be calm at all times stay on stage and keep naners out one in hand and one on ground shoot nuts at him(LMFO) and wait for approach.correct?

Vega4

Smash Ace
thats wat i kneeded thank you that sounds about right okay so play slow enough that its effective,be patience and be calm at all times stay on stage and keep naners out one in hand and one on ground shoot nuts at him(LMFO) and wait for approach.correct?
That's right.
One more thing, what you said about being over the stage is totally right, specially vs MK, cause if you don't, you give him a free chance to gimp you. But, sometimes I like surprise him when he is recovering off stage, what I do is throw him a naner, and inmediately run off stage with a Forward air. If you catch him with this you can normally kill him (not always if you are playing vs MK).
That's something you can use, but use it randomly, cause if he reads you, he can gimp you. I only like to use this vs characters with 2 jumps (Marth, Wario, Snake...) Because if they have more and read you it's way more dangerous, and, I only use it when I am above 130%, 'cause if I get killed, that wouldn't be that dramatic...

:phone:

exdia_16

Smash Journeyman
That's right.
One more thing, what you said about being over the stage is totally right, specially vs MK, cause if you don't, you give him a free chance to gimp you. But, sometimes I like surprise him when he is recovering off stage, what I do is throw him a naner, and inmediately run off stage with a Forward air. If you catch him with this you can normally kill him (not always if you are playing vs MK).
That's something you can use, but use it randomly, cause if he reads you, he can gimp you. I only like to use this vs characters with 2 jumps (Marth, Wario, Snake...) Because if they have more and read you it's way more dangerous, and, I only use it when I am above 130%, 'cause if I get killed, that wouldn't be that dramatic...

:phone:

now i just need practice add me keep in touch i dont have alot of diddy friends so keep me posted on new things in general.

Geoberos

Alicorn or not, my mane mare, my unicorn, Twilight
NNID
Geoberos
haven't had a recent video of gameplay for critique until now
then again i haven't ventured outside the local SA, TX tourneys

match-ups and noting errors would be appreciated
vs. Paw's pocket MK [5/20/11 Tourney]
Match 1 @ SV ; Quick match, don't think you'll get much out of it, but for MK match up reference
Match 2 @ PS2

vs. Big Boss' Snake [6/26/11 Tourney]
Match 1 @ PS1
Match 2 @ Halbred ; Amateur CP mistake for not knowing, but for Snake match up reference

Mampam

Smash Ace
as yall know, im NEVER on here, im not really even on smashboards, i spend all my time on aib, not even playing wifi anymore, so im kinda on the super low as a diddy main

ive been using him since 09, and this is only like my 4th time on the diddy boards XD
ive never really been taught the character i just watch videos

for those who havent seen i decided to post vids my diddy, if theres any advice i can be given, please do so, keep in mind though, i know ive fixed some of my bad habits or mistakes from some of the older vids

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNqr7ZiDny0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfvKj9s9qS8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YspJzHfjGPg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u4UvCkHG1c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4U9P0nAGoQ&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeHtZrSTfGI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1dN_1nAtes&feature=feedu

oh, and theyre in order by date

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeqNqf54XRo&feature=channel_video_title

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom