• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Chat with Emblem Lord Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

rehab

Smash Journeyman
Dear Emblem Lord:

Can you tell me who is god tier in Hajime no Ippo for the gba? I think it's Date or Shigeta, maybe Ippo just for the brokenness of liver blow to gazelle punch.

P.S. Since I feel I should ask a Marth question is there a situation where you feel Marth's jab is the best move to use, over dtilt poke/shorthop nair/dancing blade?

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
The second question I can handle.

A) Jab locking your opponent is vastly underused. MANY MANY times players ignore it when they cause their opponent's to pratfall through the use of an fthrow or dthrow, or even by a low percent Dancing Blade. Here, you should proceed to jab lock people. It's actually amazing, because once you land the first hit, the opponent is forced to stand straight up. Tipper Fsmash anyone?

B) To block short ranged SH appraoaches quickly. Ftilt is good, as it deals more damage, more knockback, and has more range, but jab is just amazingly fast.

C) When edgeguarding. It's so easy to follow up it's a joke.

D) To block a glide attack. Unless it's aimed at nearly the top of your head, jab is an AMAZING option to block glide attacks and maintain advantage, especially MK's.

flash7

Smash Journeyman
1. So you are saying Jab clashes with glide attack and just makes MK fall right? Ill try it out, thx.

2. Jab locking in this case (with marth) is when the opponent is just lying on the floor then jab so that they are forced to get up?

illinialex24

Smash Hero
1. So you are saying Jab clashes with glide attack and just makes MK fall right? Ill try it out, thx.

2. Jab locking in this case (with marth) is when the opponent is just lying on the floor then jab so that they are forced to get up?
Nah, jab locking is when you hit them so they can't get up because they have to restart the normal getting up animation each time and once set it cant be teched out of.

flash7

Smash Journeyman
yeah I knew what jab locking was in general, didnt know Marth could pull it off though. So then you could jab lock 5 times(or more/less), walk back a bit and time a tipper as they are forced to get up. Situational, but ill look out for the opportunity.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Never played Hajime no ippo. I might jump on it sometime though.

Marth's jab is sexy. I should use it more.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Never played Hajime no ippo. I might jump on it sometime though.

Marth's jab is sexy. I should use it more.
Oh great EL, did you ever answer my question concerning the worth of Arcana Heart and whether or not I should bother with it as a fighting game?

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
There are a few.

RPG's would have to be Xenogears, FF VIII, and right now I am loving Bahamut Lagoon. Just d/led it for ZNES. It's pretty much the father of FFT with it's own twists. Oh, yeah FFT is awesome too.

For action adventure games I love Devil May Cry 3 and the God of War series. Okami is amazing as well although that is more in the adventure/exploration category.

For fighting games I love Street Fighter Alpha 2, Yu Yu Hakusho Final, and Psychic Force 2012.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
There are a few.

RPG's would have to be Xenogears, FF VIII, and right now I am loving Bahamut Lagoon. Just d/led it for ZNES. It's pretty much the father of FFT with it's own twists. Oh, yeah FFT is awesome too.

For action adventure games I love Devil May Cry 3 and the God of War series. Okami is amazing as well although that is more in the adventure/exploration category.

For fighting games I love Street Fighter Alpha 2, Yu Yu Hakusho Final, and Psychic Force 2012.
So I couldn't help but notice that there was no mention of Zelda under Action Adventure... was this a mistake or am I going to have to kill you?

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Zelda is overrated and is re-hashed to death.

That said, I loved Wind Waker because Nintendo had the balls to try something new.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167

That said, I loved Wind Waker because Nintendo had the balls to try something new.
Why fix what isn't broken? I never felt like it was getting old, although I would like to see something new with the next Wii Zelda. But yes, WW and PH were amazing. Anyways, while I would like to see something new, if they used the same formula they've been using in the next game, I would still buy it and love it. It's simply flawless. Whats not to like.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Why fix what isn't broken? I never felt like it was getting old, although I would like to see something new with the next Wii Zelda. But yes, WW and PH were amazing. Anyways, while I would like to see something new, if they used the same formula they've been using in the next game, I would still buy it and love it. It's simply flawless. Whats not to like.
Simply put, Nintendo knows the formula has worked endlessly and stick to it to secure money and a relatively happy fanbase.

For example, in Wind Waker, there were numerous fans that complained about the art style, as well as the long, boring travels on boat. Nintendo did not want to displease fans, so they opt to go with a more realistic, as well as more action-packed Zelda (notice how Twilight Hyrule Field probably has more enemy spawns than any other Zelda except perhaps Triforce of the Gods/Link to the Past).

But eh, I'm on the fence about it. "Standard" Zelda or one with a new concept such as Wind Waker would get me to buy the games anyway. That's what a fandom is all about - blindlessly following without question or doubt. ^_^

feardragon64

Smash Champion
Wind Waker was alright. Twilight Princess was complete crap. I lost faith in Zelda after Ocarina of Time. In my honest opinion, that was the last good game. Majora's mask was....eh....

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Wind Waker was alright. Twilight Princess was complete crap. I lost faith in Zelda after Ocarina of Time. In my honest opinion, that was the last good game. Majora's mask was....eh....

All four of those games were completely epic IMO >_>

Majora's was the first really open game with a lot to do, Wind Waker was crazy awesome and whole new experience, and TP perfected an already brilliant formula.

And Viet: Yea, I suppose we are a bit clouded by fanboyism xD

But theres no doubt that the "safe" formula they have been using is an excellent one

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord

The exact words i would use. The only zelda game i played was Twilight Princess (the ending made me wanna cry)and it made me consider playing Orcarina (cuz ppl seem to like riding that games d***). However, i would sooner play KH2 again while i should curses at the japanese for not releasing Final Mix + overseas before i go thru all the effort to play a game for the N64.

On a side note, what tv shows do you watch EL? (count things like anime streamed from the net and other shows).

metroid1117

Smash Master
Emblem Lord, how often do you use Ike and do you think is spot on the tier list (2nd-last in Middle Tier) is accurate? I vaguely remember hearing that you used him as a secondary, so I was just curious; if not, then just ignore this question.

What other fighting games besides Smash do you play?

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Ike IMO is lower mid tier. Yeah that seems about right. Might even be low tier.

In tourney I would only use Snake and MK as secondaries. Ike would be a character I use for fun.

Right now I'm practicing alot in Street Fighter Alpha 2. That's the fighter that really has my attention at the moment.

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
All four of those games were completely epic IMO >_>

Majora's was the first really open game with a lot to do, Wind Waker was crazy awesome and whole new experience, and TP perfected an already brilliant formula.

And Viet: Yea, I suppose we are a bit clouded by fanboyism xD

But theres no doubt that the "safe" formula they have been using is an excellent one
All Zelda games are good, except those crappy cd-i ones. But yeah, about the four you all mentioned....

Ocarina of Time is probably still and will always be my favorite game of all time (Melee is a close 2nd), it was just so good it made all the other Zelda games look like crap, even though they werent. OOT is one of the greatest games of all time, if you disagree you probably never played it, or are too picky with todays standards. You need to play it as it was released. Today, yeah...games are better, but the impact OOT left wont be beaten.

Majora's Mask did what OOT didnt have, it offered more of a people oriented feeling. There were more options in the game which was definitely a plus. I loved the story as well, it was pretty unique and the three-day concept was pretty cool as well. Majora's Mask is almost as good as OOT imo.

Windwaker was good, I liked it. The cartoonish thing wasnt either bad or good, it was just different and I played with it, and ended up loving it. The sailing was kinda gay but yeah...the dungeons were fun and there were a lot of things to do outside of the dungeons. Oh and the ending was really fun.

Twilight Princess....meh...Emblem Lord if any game was overhyped...its this. Its just that the delays into delays...and for what? The game was one of the worst Zelda games there is, I dont care. The first 3 dungeons were so creative and designed so well. Goron Mines was just amazing, the Forest Temple is one of my favorite dungeons in Zelda period. Then they transform you into a ******* wolf, wtf? You know Metroid Prime? I love the series, however, in Echoes...dark world or w/e....so gay. I hate the extra dimension feeling you get in a video game. If they simply took out the Mansion dungeon and Arbiters Grounds AND all that wolf stuff, and added some more sidequests with a story that revolves saving Hyrule...not **** like saving Minda and collecting Mirror Pieces. Hyrule field was HUGE, but there was nothing in it, FAIL. You couldnt even talk to people in the Market and other towns, TP was isolated as ****. Meh... I can continue on forever, but you probably get my point.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
EL you like FF8? That's cool.

Have you ever played FF9? It's my favourite game ever. If you like FF (or any kind of game) you will love it

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Never played 9 unfortunately.

I will someday and I know I would love it since it has more of an old school feel, since each character has a set class that they can learn abilities for.

As far as inescapable combos go I would say that uair to u-smash is the strongest, but it's hardly practical.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Uhh, i'm just wondering, whats Marth's most powerful inescapable combo from 0%? I mean in terms of % damage. The best one i found is autocancelled u-air into tipped u-smash, but i'm not sure if it can be escaped with DI. 34%.
How is that done?? Sorry, I don't know many combos with Marth, I gotta learn a fair amount. Jiggs combos I know but Marth...

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend

Wind Waker was amazing, I loved that and Phantom Hourglass, that art style made them more fun to play, but I like most Zelda games. They are fun. I liked some of the TP items though, double Clawshot and Ball&Chain and Spinner were cool..

aeghrur

Smash Champion
Sigh, I liked TP though. :( Well, some of it. =/ Some parts were fun, but yeah... the wolf part, although unique, was boring. =/

feardragon64

Smash Champion
I feel like Zelda slowly dumbed down to their audience though. Like the games got easier and easier to the point where I was screaming, "WHEN DO I GET TO THE CHALLENGING PART?"

I think that's probably what annoyed me the most about the newer Zelda games.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
I feel like Zelda slowly dumbed down to their audience though. Like the games got easier and easier to the point where I was screaming, "WHEN DO I GET TO THE CHALLENGING PART?"

I think that's probably what annoyed me the most about the newer Zelda games.
I would say Majora's Mask was the most challenging 3D Zelda game (including Master Quest). And both of those were released during 2000-2003, so yeah...

the new age of gaming typically appeals to "casuals" and makes games 'fun' in the sense that it's easy to pick up and play (which I guess concerning Smash it's not a problem until...eh, we all know).

For example, Phantom Hourglass was ridiculously easy. I have a perfect file and perfect 25:00 time in the main temple. <_<

feardragon64

Smash Champion
the new age of gaming typically appeals to "casuals" and makes games 'fun' in the sense that it's easy to pick up and play (which I guess concerning Smash it's not a problem until...eh, we all know).
Stupid good marketing.
Ruins my fun.

Although I must say I thoroughly enjoyed Megaman 9. I really did feel old school gamer style ^_^

Actraiser

Smash Cadet
Hey Emblem Lord. I'm relatively new to the brawl scene and was wondering what the best way to improve my marth would be. I hear that level 9s are bad to play, and that marth is bad to play online as well. But only a few of my friends actually play brawl so I can't really play offline too much and I want to be getting better everyday.. any advice? :)

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
You are kinda screwed.

Read the stickies.

Understand Marth's whole movelist.

Practice on level 9's for now since you have nothing better. Then move onto online so you get match-up experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom