• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official BBR Tier List v4 -> Sonic's HA Stall is NOT beaten by spot dodge!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Lemme guess.

If we made a rule saying you can't jump 5 times in a row while airborne, you're going to deny that we're touching MK, because we're not actually physically altering the character? (which is impossible for us to do, btw, without hacking the game)

What would you call "touching" a character?
Rewarding stalling tactics with the way time-out are currently handled are not MK specific and aren't limited to planking.

:059:

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Okay then.

*insert rule that doesn't target any specific character and isn't limited to planking, but still very clearly indirectly affects it*

Why would you even suggest changing the way timeouts are handled anyways?

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Nothing wrong with timeouts or ledgecamping. Perfect planking is the problem, which LGL destroys. yay harmony

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
If you'd been reading the thread or my posts in the past at all you'd know that:

1. I think the best solution is banning Meta Knight.
2. Barring a Meta Knight ban, the best solution is to simply limit his ledge grabs and his ledge grabs alone.
3. I believe a global LGL is a pretty scrubby rule because it affects multiple characters that aren't imbalanced when interacting with the ledge.
4. I don't have a problem with the way we handle time-outs and believe it to be the best solution we could reasonably ask for, but recognize that it isn't a perfect solution and believe a better one might exist. The problem with this "better" solution is that it would probably involve a time-breaking coin match, and no one wants to play those; thus it is not ideal.

So yes, all of my posts on the subject have been made with the understanding that the rule we have is not likely to change, not is there any reason to believe it should as long as there is a MK-specific LGL in place.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Why would you even suggest changing the way timeouts are handled anyways?
Because it arbitrarily buffs character that have the ability to make themselves unattackable for some time via planking [MK, GW, Pit, Marth, ...], scrooging [Pit, MK] or other tactics that are obviously "stalling" but not easily definable as such.

If MK has 99% and Snake has 100% the scenario is clearly in Snake's favour. The option to simply plank until the time runs out gives Meta Knight an unnatural advantage that he doesn't have per se - it comes with the solution to decide the winner of a match by percent.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
If you'd been reading the thread or my posts in the past at all you'd know that:

1. I think the best solution is banning Meta Knight.
2. Barring a Meta Knight ban, the best solution is to simply limit his ledge grabs and his ledge grabs alone.
3. I believe a global LGL is a pretty scrubby rule because it affects multiple characters that aren't imbalanced when interacting with the ledge.
4. I don't have a problem with the way we handle time-outs and believe it to be the best solution we could reasonably ask for, but recognize that it isn't a perfect solution and believe a better one might exist. The problem with this "better" solution is that it would probably involve a time-breaking coin match, and no one wants to play those; thus it is not ideal.

So yes, all of my posts on the subject have been made with the understanding that the rule we have is not likely to change, not is there any reason to believe it should as long as there is a MK-specific LGL in place.
If you don't agree with an inferior rule you're playing the devil's advocate for, then don't expect me to not argue against it. :/

And I agree with the principle of all these points.

Because it arbitrarily buffs character that have the ability to make themselves unattackable for some time via planking [MK, GW, Pit, Marth, ...], scrooging [Pit, MK] or other tactics that are obviously "stalling" but not easily definable as such.

If MK has 99% and Snake has 100% the scenario is clearly in Snake's favour. The option to simply plank until the time runs out gives Meta Knight an unnatural advantage that he doesn't have per se - it comes with the solution to decide the winner of a match by percent.

Let me elaborate on my question.

All of the rules we've set into place outside of the way Sakurai initially intended the game to be played both indirectly and somewhat arbitrarily nerf and buff just about every character- every single rule. So what makes an alteration of the way we've dealt with timeouts for a very long time more important than changing all of the other rules we traditionally use?- for example, number of stocks, time limit, banning of items, etc.

In my opinion, it's not important that we change the rules about what to do in case of a timeout. Nothing has warranted a change of the original rules the competitive brawl community set for this instance in case it happened.

And yes, the original ruling about timeouts was somewhat arbitrary when it was first set in place, but so was every other rule that could have been used instead. It was impossible to make completely objective rules about it. And we were forced to start somewhere, though, as I really doubt anyone thought this game could have been very competitive had absolutely nothing been changed.

-----

That said, I suppose one could argue that we should assume we're dealing with the game when it first came out, (and perhaps a lot of people are assuming this already.) to settle arguments similar to the one below.

"This proposed rule is an arbitrary nerf to X."
"Well, those rules we set in the first place were arbitrary. Why can't this one be arbitrary as well?"

My answer to this:
By arbitrarily changing the rules about a particular tactic or character after the original ruleset came out, we're changing a lot more than just the rules. We're also arbitrarily changing it's players. By doing this we're potentially telling people that have already spent time with those characters or strategies, "you just wasted all your time" with arbitrary reasons for forcing this on them.

I can tell you right now that doing this (arbitrarily nerfing characters and tactics) after this game has been out for as long as it has is not going to make this game's tournament scene flourish. It's going to do just the opposite.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
I
this will never happen because a lot of players that are pro ban would rather just have no LGL, or not restrict it to metaknight so they have more excuses to ban him.

"if we have to make a rule just for him, surgical nerf scrubetplayerfreedet blah blah blah wall of text "

in all honesty im kinda split on the ban, metaknight is clearly stupid as hell. but im not sure by how much yet ._.

but its very unlikely that he will ever get banned anyway and making him better at this point is just dumb.

etecoon

Smash Hero
it kind of makes me sad that most of pro ban has temporarily abandoned efforts to get MK banned and instead has done everything possible to make him more overpowered than before

like, I could see banning him as things were, but really, distant planet guys? you really needed to go there? SMFH

thankfully NO ONE is using those rules anyway lol, fission mailed pro-ban portion of the BBR

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
this will never happen because a lot of players that are pro ban would rather just have no LGL, or not restrict it to metaknight so they have more excuses to ban him.

"if we have to make a rule just for him, surgical nerf scrubetplayerfreedet blah blah blah wall of text "

in all honesty im kinda split on the ban, metaknight is clearly stupid as hell. but im not sure by how much yet ._.

but its very unlikely that he will ever get banned anyway and making him better at this point is just dumb.
According to Crow's (amazing) statistics post (which is a little old now, but still pretty close, I'd guess) Meta Knight is as much as 3 times as good as Snake and 15 times as good as Marth.

So that's how much. Is that too good?

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
it kind of makes me sad that most of pro ban has temporarily abandoned efforts to get MK banned and instead has done everything possible to make him more overpowered than before

like, I could see banning him as things were, but really, distant planet guys? you really needed to go there? SMFH

thankfully NO ONE is using those rules anyway lol, fission mailed pro-ban portion of the BBR
off topic anyway

you do not (or rather, not supposed to) ban stages because 1 character is "broken" on that stage. MK is very flexible and has a lot of good stages but you do not ban them because he is the best character in the game and possibly the best on that stage. I applaud the BBr for their stage list since they only added like 3-4 stages anyway

on topic.

DK can kill anyone in 6-9 hits. thoughts?

Luxor

Smash Champion
off topic anyway

you do not (or rather, not supposed to) ban stages because 1 character is "broken" on that stage. MK is very flexible and has a lot of good stages but you do not ban them because he is the best character in the game and possibly the best on that stage. I applaud the BBr for their stage list since they only added like 3-4 stages anyway

on topic.

DK can kill anyone in 6-9 hits. thoughts?
Actually, if one character or group of characters is so powerful as to be outright broken/extremely overcentralizing and near impossible to defeat without choosing the character(s) who do well there, the stage is bannable by BBR criteria. I'm good with having lots of "janky" stages legal, but RC and Brinstar are iffy just because they're so powerful for MK. I can't remember a time when any top MK lost on either of those, except for M2K against ADHD that one time.

on topic.

Ganon can win a match in 5 hits. Although not in ruleset 3.1...

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Those stages are auto win for MK. Someone is gonna interpret this as a john for M2K, but here I go:

How gay did M2K play? Gay leads to auto win, super aggressive M2K **** mode doesn't lead to auto win.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Eh...Good point. After thinking about what he did to Brood and DEHF, it does seem alot worse.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
its a wall of text that that *****s over analyze sooo much -.-
What kind of data do you want? That's as close as we're ever going to get to being able to get. Are you waiting for something to happen that makes you feel MK is "too good" in your gut or something? Because that's pretty worthless, sorry.

"OK MK just won 7 nationals in a row he's too good now" isn't a very accurate sample nor is "OK, I've done some thinking and MK's X and Y combined are just too good so that's what I think now" isn't very convincing either, and then we'd still have people claiming it wasn't good enough. So what do you want?

Orion*

Smash Researcher
What kind of data do you want? That's as close as we're ever going to get to being able to get. Are you waiting for something to happen that makes you feel MK is "too good" in your gut or something? Because that's pretty worthless, sorry.

"OK MK just won 7 nationals in a row he's too good now" isn't a very accurate sample nor is "OK, I've done some thinking and MK's X and Y combined are just too good so that's what I think now" isn't very convincing either, and then we'd still have people claiming it wasn't good enough. So what do you want?
its very obvious you can beat people better than you by using mk sometimes, because tbh thats how all tiers work. x character has more tools than y char, he wins z matchup, ect

other than perfect planking, which tbh i Still havent seen a tournament won by even with no ledge grab limit (and thats coming from me LOL) i dont really see proof that hes broken. i just see Ridiculous overuse because hes easy to use, and hes obviously the best

there are two reasons that keep me from being pro ban is
1) despite me Feeling that hes broken so far i havent seen proof of it, and ive gone and tried to brake him as much as i can in tournament.
2) most of the people i see arguing pro ban are honestly people that havent put in enough hours into the game or the character for me to give a **** about their opinion. they just look at tournament results or w.e and its like yeah you havent experienced any of this :/

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
Actually, if one character or group of characters is so powerful as to be outright broken/extremely overcentralizing and near impossible to defeat without choosing the character(s) who do well there, the stage is bannable by BBR criteria. I'm good with having lots of "janky" stages legal, but RC and Brinstar are iffy just because they're so powerful for MK. I can't remember a time when any top MK lost on either of those, except for M2K against ADHD that one time.

on topic.

Ganon can win a match in 5 hits. Although not in ruleset 3.1...
Actually, BBR rules, Ally won.

Well, not exactly, but DLA didn't.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Also that match is stupid since Ally wasn't even trying. I could have played better than that with Snake.

Luxor

Smash Champion
Ganonciding was still typically accpeted as a win condition. Even now most people accept it.
Of course the game's just for lols, why do you think Ally didn't even bother trying to recover?

Oh, and @burntsocks, tournament data/Crow's data were the numbers I'm referring to. I'm sure you could somehow combine all a character's frame data/advantage data/hitbubbles/kb/trajectories/attributes and come up with a reasonable quantitative analysis of a character, but that's not what I meant in context. I was more or less just agreeing with SFP.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Quantitative analysis of MK = Broken

And... I'M OFF!

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Naw. Sigging that would mean I couldn't give the children of Smashboards Seizures with my current Sig.

Wario da bess maine, he Deed it.

Also new tier list coming out soon. Hype

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
watch he is going to sig that.

And MK is stats wise broken. His OoS options alone compared to other characters are just so much better
Marth is just slightly worse than MK at everything OOS, except maybe better grab range? But yeah, both have a dragon punch, though MK's is safer (it's still not really safe), both have good fast nairs to cover their entire area, quick drop shield ground options (DB and dtilt or ftilt for MK), and Marth has fair as well.

I duno how you wouldn't consider Diddy's OOS options **** as well though, his punish radius is just enormous from shield, and his grab and fair/bair are good too.

Also new tier list coming out soon. Hype
So assuming Raleigh is going to be considered for the tier list, well...Nick/5th/DEHF/evenwithaDQ. Or are we still not convinced?

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
So assuming Raleigh is going to be considered for the tier list, well...Nick/5th/DEHF/evenwithaDQ. Or are we still not convinced?
Nefarious, placing well at a single national isn't good enough! Or two nationals! Or three nationals! Or four nationals! Or placing top 3 in Florida for several months! Or proving a match-up thought as unwinnable is actually... winnable! Having a match-up spread arguably no worse than 4/6 isn't good enough either.

None of that matters because I my gut tells me that ZSS isn't a good character. Nick Riddle is just amazing. Stats be ****ed, my instincts and vague colloquial notions of character quality are what's important here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom