• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official BBR Tier List v4 -> Sonic's HA Stall is NOT beaten by spot dodge!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Umby

Smash Master
Who were the players who voted? I don't think Yoshi is really better than Mario, but I could see Yoshi being better than Lucas.

Fox over Luigi??????
It's alot more efficient to state valid reasoning of why you don't think x character is better than y character than to just state your opinion in logical discussion.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Who were the players who voted? I don't think Yoshi is really better than Mario, but I could see Yoshi being better than Lucas.

Fox over Luigi??????
Well, state your points and I'll be happy to refute each and every one of them. =)

Kidding, but you need to show why you think Mario is better than Yoshi. You can't just say one character is better than another and just leave it at that.

:069:

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
There are so many ways Mario could be improved, so many options from so many games. Especially in terms of recovery.

And yet they stick with his rather mediocre moveset.

I suppose they want him to be an average character, but come on.

Loota

Smash Journeyman
You know how to create some discussion?

IT'S RANDOM TIER LIST TIME WHEEEEE

S: Meta Knight
A: Snake, Falco, Diddy Kong, Wario, Marth, Ice Climbers
B: King Dedede, Olimar, Pikachu, Lucario, Zero Suit Samus, Mr. Game & Watch
C: Toon Link, Kirby, Peach, R.O.B.
D: Fox, Donkey Kong, Pit, Wolf, Luigi
E: Sonic, Ness, Sheik, Ike, Pokémon Trainer, Bowser
F: Yoshi, Lucas, Mario, Falcon, Samus, Jigglypuff, Link
G: Zelda, Ganondorf

How do I make those faces of the characters lol

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
The BBR tier list is formed only considering the BBR ruleset - which doesn't include a LGL.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Who's talking about the BBR's tier list?

I thought the discussion was about Falco.

edit: Screw it. nvm

Yikarur

Smash Master
actually the BBR Tier List does include LGL because they use character rankings of thousands of tournaments and I'm pretty sure A LOT of them ran a LGL.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
We should invoke Punch Time for Ganon.
I mean, LGL buffs Falco. Punch Time would surely buff Ganon. It makes perfect sense.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Who's talking about the BBR's tier list?

I thought the discussion was about Falco.

edit: Screw it. nvm
lol

actually the BBR Tier List does include LGL because they use character rankings of thousands of tournaments and I'm pretty sure A LOT of that tournaments ran a LGL.
LGLs probably influences the tier list, since it's such a standard these days and such a big part of the metagame, but when forming the list the BBR specifically has to think "When there is no LGL, how good is MK?"

And that's why he moved into his own tier again for version 4.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Fair enough.
How about an Air Time limit then? Sure as hell would help ground based characters a lot.

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
The thing is, if you're assuming no LGL, the only thing that matters in the MK matchup is your ability to build a lead, because as soon as you have more % you lose. Falco probably has the best ability to build and retain a lead against MK compared to any other character, or atleast is one of the best at doing so. So even without LGL Falco has one of the best MK matchups.

Snake without a LGL on the other hand is pretty boned. Since MK can easily build leads on Snake but fails to kill Snake til late percents usually, Snake loses far more if LGLs are removed compared to Falco, if we're assuming perfect planking.

The characters benefiting from LGLs vary much more if we're not considering MK's perfect planking.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I think the problem is not the LGL but the way timeouts are solved. The decision to give the win to the player with less percent is completely arbitrary and gives an unfair advantage to characters who can make themselves unattackable for a certain amount of time. Planking is just a very convenient way to do so. Increasing the timer to 10 (or at least 9) minutes and changing the way the winner is chosen in case of a time-out is a lot more effective than limiting ledge-grabs.

:059:

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
I find it a little weird how everyone says Brawl is not a traditional fighting game at all, or even call it a party game, yet use the excuse of allowing time-outs because that's how other fighters do it.

We all know Smash has more ways to KO someone than regular fighting games. In SSF4, all you have to do is knock down their health to zero. In Smash, you can knock them past the horizontal blastzone, knock them past the vertical blastzone, take away all their health (stamina-mode only, obviously), etc. And you can do these things by using a regular Smash attack, spiking, gimping, hell, you can even break a shield for a KO (sorry Jigglerpoof).

So, with that said, Smash clearly doesn't need to assume the characteristics of other fighters when it isn't. Thus, there is no reason to say that making time-outs a legitimate way of winning is because it makes the game more like other fighters and that's how it's done. It's completely arbitrary.

If Sakurai wanted games to end to time, he wouldn't have added Sudden Death. Because, if you play the game without any of our rules, no game will go to time.

Except Coin Battles.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
I think the most notable flaw with our current "arbitrarily chosen" system is that there's no such thing as health in Brawl. At the most superficial level, the player with the lower percent damage taken is "winning." That isn't really true though since moving a character past the blast line is completely independent of the actual amount of damage it has taken.

If a game goes to time and I have taken 50% damage and my opponent has taken 100% damage, it means I have actually dealt more damage to my opponent which could assist in lowering their stock count, but never actually can do that on it's own.

Fascinating. :)

Unfortunately, games have to end and I see this as being the best solution to that end. It is also a clear goal: either reduce your opponent's stock count to zero, or end the game with the highest amount of stock and/or lowest percent. This is simply a baseline we have created, since the game hasn't done a good job of indicating one for us.

Maybe it's time for this rule to change, but I am not smart enough to come up with an alternative solution that is fair on my own.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
but the rule is perfect. there is no need for a change D:
It is certainly not perfect. I have just pointed to a very large hole in the logic used for the arbitration of this rule. :)

But it might be the best rule we will ever have. I'm not sure it can feasibly change, really.

Yikarur

Smash Master
changing this rule would mean changing results and changing ways to fight aka changing the metagame D:

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
changing this rule would mean changing results and changing ways to fight aka changing the metagame D:
Given that Brawl is rapidly devolving into a game where opponent X hits opponent Y once and runs away for eight minutes, I'm not sure this is such a bad thing. It might not be a good thing either. I'm not sure.
What exactly is wrong with the sudden death option?
Simply put, too many random elements make up sudden death. There's also nothing to stop players from planking/stalling out sudden death.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom