• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Nintendo Experience Presents: Smash Bros Brawl Tournament, March 2-14 (Melbourne)

tibs7

Smash Champion
nah.
ive registered already so im going tomorrow
the chick that i talked to on the phone to register was so thick.....shes like "brawl tournament?"

Jei Jei

Smash Champion
NNID
Jei_Soul
3DS FC
1564-4103-8935
Grrrrr Lee was so robbed today. He made the grand final right? Then a bunch of people arrived late. So instead of telling them to gtfo and come back another day, they throw them in MID TOURNEY, and also let the people who made semi's back in. So instead of playing the Marth FTW (which he would of easily achieved) he had to play another 2 games.

The worst part was he was eventually beaten by someone who had already been knocked out of the tournament previously. I didn't stay for finals but I'm sure that Marth would be the one who made it.

PO'd much

tibs7

Smash Champion
dekar, lets beat everyone in 10mins yeah? so nothing like this happens to us amirite
EB=stupid

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
massive upset!
neither dekar,wayne,forte or me won,
i beat wayne in a sudden death very scary!
forte beat dekar in a sudden death and me aswell in the semi's. i got bomb-ombed!!!!!!!
forte was in the gfinal but lost a snake user, he was ok, forte i think could have done better
since i made semi's they took my details down, does that mean im in or...just a sub?

this is tibs btw
sorry i keep doing this -_-'

Forte4Tei

Smash Apprentice
Yeah...

Massive apologies... zzzz

zzzzz I should leave the Brawl to Brawl players =( zzzzz

Versus Dekar: There's around 20 seconds left of the clock, and I'm trying to get away from his marth. But then he predicts me jumping from the ledge and tipper up smashes me. We agree to go to Sudden Death (Nothing else to be done). At first I try to get an up b out of shield but the distance is too great and Dekar is rolling around. I then run up to him, spot dodge his shield grab and I shield grab into back throw. Game.

Versus Tibor: It was pretty much the tiers that affected the match; because I was MK I was able to keep up with his extremely good Diddy. Wiimote didn't help him much either. I live on 80% to go on to sudden death after ledge stalling for around 8 seconds. In the Sudden Death, I'm getting ***** real hard, but his Diddy lacked the kill moves to finish me off. I come back onto the ledge and bomb ombs start flying around. I see that his shielding so I try to roll on, but before that even happens he gets blown up. Bad luck in my opinion, he obviously should have won.

Versus RandySnake: Neutral vs Snake (BF) + no matchup experience ever = outcamped by grenades and stuff. Didn't help that I can't see the **** mines he plants. Overall he owned me pretty hard, kept me from approaching and I rushed to get kills, eventually sealing my fate with my own shuttle loop suicide (always happens, always happens =x)

Overall, I'd like to apologise to the guys who came. I only went to the event today because it was after my school excursion, and I thought I might give it a go. Also I even admitted that I would be at a disadvantage against the Snake player, but yeah, I guess I got too greedy =x

~Vince.

tibs7

Smash Champion
Forte...lost?!

This is madness!

What characters did you guys use btw?
i used diddy, wayne-mario,dekar-marth and forte-metaknight

forte dont be silly, no apologies needed my brothers still playing so we still have a chance haha :p

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Caotique said:
If Smashers had half a brain, they would not go and all compete against each other on the same day and knock each other out of a finals place. That kind of stuff will let a scrub win.
Quoted for extra emphasis. :)

Dekar289

Smash Hero
phh i'm going again on tuesday
shut up cao

forte you're in the finals, that's hot

tibs go again too =)

tibs7

Smash Champion
dekar but your not allowed to train at night time, wont your parents get worried hahahahaha joking
umm yeah i might go, tuesdays a good day :)

Cadwahh

Smash Rookie
you can go again?

< the mk who got beat my a marth in the 1st round tonight.

was a fun tourney would like another shot at it, need to practice on wiimote but

Jei Jei

Smash Champion
NNID
Jei_Soul
3DS FC
1564-4103-8935
Wow I can't believe you all went on the same day lol.
Bad luck guys, it's not like a smasher won't bring home 1st anyways though :p
Yer tibz I'm guessing they will ask you to come finals anyway, they took Lee's details down also <3

Who's next by the way?

tibs7

Smash Champion
Yer tibz I'm guessing they will ask you to come finals anyway, they took Lee's details down also <3

Who's next by the way?
well i hope so, dont know if i should try again just incase....

but umm today my brother attila is going he will prob sweep....unless cobalt is there haha

p.s. attila's a loser.

C~Dog

Smash Champion
Yeah, i was gonna go.. but then i tried playing with a wii mote last night.

****. That. ****.

T1MEKEEPER

Smash Rookie
Hi all,

If Smashers had half a brain, they would not go and all compete against each other on the same day and knock each other out of a finals place. That kind of stuff will let a scrub win.
ey who u callin a scrub?:mad: lol yep im T1ME aka "Randy Snake" and sorry for beating the guys that went on thursday. I think i got pretty lucky with the draw as well as having a few things swaying it in my favour (i always play with a wiimote). Hope too see lots of u smashers in the finals so i can give u all another wooping ;)

Jei Jei

Smash Champion
NNID
Jei_Soul
3DS FC
1564-4103-8935
We are calling you a scrub. The fact that you use a wii-mote to play backs up my point. I'm looking forward to playing you in finals, Snake is just another lol character to me.

T1MEKEEPER

Smash Rookie
We are calling you a scrub. The fact that you use a wii-mote to play backs up my point. I'm looking forward to playing you in finals, Snake is just another lol character to me.
lol yeah ok maybe i am a scrub to anyone pro but can someone explain to the scrub why a cube controller is better than a wiimote? isnt it more about skill than equipment? (not that i am saying i didnt have an excellent advantage in this tourney) anyway i look forward to playing some smashers on a more even playing field, not sure when but at some point i plan to attend some Stigma Brawls.

EDIT: btw tibs you should try again i would hate for u to miss out on finals ur diddy looked awesome, i was really glad to be playing against a MK melee player instead (no offense meant forte)

C~Dog

Smash Champion
lol yeah ok maybe i am a scrub to anyone pro but can someone explain to the scrub why a cube controller is better than a wiimote? isnt it more about skill than equipment? (not that i am saying i didnt have an excellent advantage in this tourney) anyway i look forward to playing some smashers on a more even playing field, not sure when but at some point i plan to attend some Stigma Brawls.
A gamecube controller allows for more versatile and complex gameplay far beyond what the wii-mote allows. Also, the rules used for the tournament, as well as the control choice, are not suited to proper competitive tournament play, and as such give a far less accurate indication of skill that a tournament that uses rules specifically tailored to provide an environment that can accurately and unbiasedly (for the most part) evaluate the skill and potential of its participants.

Forte4Tei

Smash Apprentice

EDIT: btw tibs you should try again i would hate for u to miss out on finals ur diddy looked awesome, i was really glad to be playing against a MK melee player instead (no offense meant forte)
Yeah, I take no offense.

Maybe you should take offense in to the fact I tier wh0red to play against you with no prior wiimote experience before the day, and also the fact that I don't play brawl - no matchup experience, no wii, no idea how to take on your snake. And by MK melee player you mean I play melee right? xD

But I reckon the draw wasn't the problem, it was just tight matches that got you to play against me which was fortunate for you I guess.

I reckon you should come to monthlies, and so should the MK player who got beat by Dekar - the community is great, and it's lots of fun, a lot of the atmosphere today is replicated in these Stigma-B monthlies.

This tournament makes me want to come to a Brawl monthly now. I want to get better =x

~Vince.

Edit - In regards to controller choice:

1. It doesn't matter which controller you use, just as there are no qualms in what character you are allowed to pick.
2. Controllers doesn't necessarily decide on who has more skill in two equally standing players who are pitted each other.
3. That being said, even if the controller is the decider of who is the victor, it is not the fault of the controller - because the player has the option of choosing their tool to play the game, the blame should be placed on the player when he/she loses, which also represents my view on tiers.
4. Nintendo tournaments have their on rules. Deal with it guys. We don't have to take it seriously - there are our own monthlies which allow us to utilise our own medium of playing, even if Nintendo has awesome prizes that we don't have.

To summarise - I don't mind losing or winning. I'm over that now. But it ticks me off when people argue about skill and what takes more skill etc etc. I'm pretty sure Nintendo isn't running a tournament for full on competitiveness - they want the comps they run to be fun for all and give a chance for others which is why they have their own set of rules.

P.S - Someone lend me a wii T_T

Forte4Tei

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, if there is one thing I can't stand, it's people putting no amount of effort in getting to where they are at.

The last time I played Brawl was in the Deakin Uni in early January. Compared to others such as Dekar, Tibor and the Snake player who DO put time into learning how to play with their respective characters, I feel I didn't deserve to get as far at all. That's why I stopped going to the Brawl monthlies, partly to save myself the embarrassment, but also partly to save others the embarrassment of losing to a melee player who relies on luck and bluffs.

~Vince.

Attila_

BRoomer
totally owned today btw, didnt die to anyone more than once, and won the finals by 5 kills haha

@timekeeper: the wiimote sucks. it takes half the skill out of the game by disabling most ATs and slowing the game down considerably. watch a proper match, then watch a match with wiimotes. the difference is huge. and most of use are used to playing with the gamecube control, and suddenly we cant use it, so we basically have to start playing again despite playing for hours on end.

@jei: you think my snake is another lol character? i hope not...

Dedu

Smash Lord
lol scrubs

having fun reading this thread
...*goes back to lurk mode.*

tibs7

Smash Champion
dont give attila a big head.....he loves the compliments

Jei Jei

Smash Champion
NNID
Jei_Soul
3DS FC
1564-4103-8935
Well I've never played against you Attila so I can't generalise like that I guess. I've just never had any real problems against any Snakes to date.
My main point is that I'll have an even easier time beating a scrub snake...:p

Cadwahh

Smash Rookie
Well I've never played against you Attila so I can't generalise like that I guess. I've just never had any real problems against any Snakes to date.
lmao

do you guys seriously want new people to join your community or what?

what a ****fest, my god.. rofl

Viral-Enki

Smash Cadet
Ok, had a few games with the wii-mote last night and this morning, and **** it. Can't do anything on it.

ComboTurtle

Smash Lord
cao i hate your moderating, but i still love you and want to take you home to meet my parents... why did you delete me from facebook and get so srs?

Attila_

BRoomer
dont lie jei, my snake gives you trouble ;)
oh! i remember your snake... it owned me at my first ever tourny... gave me nightmares for ages... would love a rematch now though :)

@jei: hmmm... pit... he's usually annoying for snake i guess. tibs' pit isnt for my snake though ;)

T1MEKEEPER

Smash Rookie
A gamecube controller allows for more versatile and complex gameplay far beyond what the wii-mote allows. Also, the rules used for the tournament, as well as the control choice, are not suited to proper competitive tournament play, and as such give a far less accurate indication of skill that a tournament that uses rules specifically tailored to provide an environment that can accurately and unbiasedly (for the most part) evaluate the skill and potential of its participants.
@timekeeper: the wiimote sucks. it takes half the skill out of the game by disabling most ATs and slowing the game down considerably. watch a proper match, then watch a match with wiimotes. the difference is huge. and most of use are used to playing with the gamecube control, and suddenly we cant use it, so we basically have to start playing again despite playing for hours on end.
I understand that the tourney rules are clearly not the fairest way to do things and i would have liked to play on a more even playing field where u guys could use ur own controller/map etc. i never disputed the bias of this tourney. However i haven't come accross anything that can be done on a classic control that can't be done on a wiimote (albeit with a lot of practice). As the large difference in standard of play between wiimote players and classic control players, how many pros do u know who use a wiimote? lol if the pros were forced to use the wiimote for all competitions then im sure that after they practice and get used to it we would see just as high standard of play. Unfortunately for my argument i dont think this will ever happen and therefore all we can do is speculate.

rofl you can't generalise against attila's snake cos you haven't seen him play but u can assume that i am a scrub? dude think before you post adn try to deflate the head a little bit even if you are pro.

Everyone here says that they want more players to come and play at tourneys and to expand the SSB community in general, yet when new players join all u do critisize them. If you all truly want not only this website but the melb/aus smash scene to grow and succeed then some of you seriously need to rethink how you go about "introducing" yourselves to new members. While i know you guys have all played this game a lot and consider yourselves a higher quality SSB player than most, there is no need to flout it, especially when there is little evidence (yet) to support it.

peace, T1ME

Attila_

BRoomer
hows troublesome...

allow me to list a couple of things that are impossible (or extremely diffcult) to do on a wiimote:

dacus
(snake) hopping
utilt moves w/o buffering
boost grabbing
aerials/directional specials in ways that youre not travelling (this is a huge one)
zapjumping (if youre lucas)
rar

and further:
moving is hindered by the four directions on a d-pad
no tap jump
the minus button is in a horrible spot so non-shield grabbing (and espc pivot grabbing) is very awkward
no stick smashes
buttons are located quite far away from each other and cannot be pressed at similar timing
pressing block hurts my hand
lack of manuverability makes proper edgeguarding and gimping rather difficult and dangerous

it takes out a hell of a lot of the game.

oh, and jei has seen my snake... hell he versed me in doubles a bunch of times, and so he knows im no scrub. come to stigma-b and we'll show you what its all about...

ComboTurtle

Smash Lord
and no pro would ever use a wiimote or a classic control cause thats ********

edit: and time keeper just the fact that you play with the wiimote automatically makes you bad at this game, you probably sit down with your sister and play time matches

Top Bottom