• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Nintendo Experience Presents: Smash Bros Brawl Tournament, March 2-14 (Melbourne)

jrfalcon

Smash Rookie
totally owned today btw, didnt die to anyone more than once, and won the finals by 5 kills haha.
This sounds like the guy who decimated my Ike in the semi-final match with Snake yesterday >.<"

tibs7

Smash Champion
and no pro would ever use a wiimote or a classic control cause thats ********
bahaha so true

@T1ME: how about you come to this months tourney and prove them wrong? Thats if you arent scared...:p haha

Cadwahh

Smash Rookie
Everyone here says that they want more players to come and play at tourneys and to expand the SSB community in general, yet when new players join all u do critisize them. If you all truly want not only this website but the melb/aus smash scene to grow and succeed then some of you seriously need to rethink how you go about "introducing" yourselves to new members. While i know you guys have all played this game a lot and consider yourselves a higher quality SSB player than most, there is no need to flout it, especially when there is little evidence (yet) to support it.
agree you guys should play nice

wiimote does suck though :)

Suntan Luigi

Smash Lord
Guys if Timekeeper was able to win with a wii-mote, imagine the things he can do with a GC controller. Don't call him a scrub right away. Only after he attends one of the Stigma's can you decide whether he's a scrub or not.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
cobalt... he won a wiimote tourny round using a wiimote ignoring the fact that he mains a wiimote and no one else uses a wiimote. that says nothing about his ability. it only tells us he likes wiimotes. but yeah, as i said already, he should should bring his wiimote to stigmaB this month...

T1MEKEEPER

Smash Rookie
hows troublesome...

allow me to list a couple of things that are impossible (or extremely diffcult) to do on a wiimote:

dacus
(snake) hopping
utilt moves w/o buffering
boost grabbing
aerials/directional specials in ways that youre not travelling (this is a huge one)
zapjumping (if youre lucas)
rar

and further:
moving is hindered by the four directions on a d-pad
no tap jump
the minus button is in a horrible spot so non-shield grabbing (and espc pivot grabbing) is very awkward
no stick smashes
buttons are located quite far away from each other and cannot be pressed at similar timing
pressing block hurts my hand
lack of manuverability makes proper edgeguarding and gimping rather difficult and dangerous

it takes out a hell of a lot of the game.

oh, and jei has seen my snake... hell he versed me in doubles a bunch of times, and so he knows im no scrub. come to stigma-b and we'll show you what its all about...
ok well now i have to admit now that there are some things i can't do with a wiimote yet. i still cant sliding up-smash with snake. i can with other chars with wiimote tho, i still havent worked out why i cant do it with snake :mad: . however i dont see the prob with aerials, while im not that good at them i know they can be done with practice just the same as with a cube control. i dunno if u knew but u can grab easily using A + B (pays to read the controls thoroughly ;) ) altho u still gotta use - to pivot grab. As for movements being hindered thats only because u r not used to the controller, u know u can press more than 1 direction on the D-pad at once therefore going diagonally... lol. ah and if you cant smash without a c-stick you might as well quit SSB now lol.

oh and i didnt realise that jei had played against you before, if you will scroll up a bit and read his post he said he hadn't played you b4. He still should not assume i am a scrub (even if i am) when he hasnt seen me play.

edit: and time keeper just the fact that you play with the wiimote automatically makes you bad at this game, you probably sit down with your sister and play time matches
lol, this is the kind of mindless baseless rubbish that just makes me laugh

bahaha so true

@T1ME: how about you come to this months tourney and prove them wrong? Thats if you arent scared...:p haha
as i mentioned b4 i will def b attending one of the stigma tourneys at some point, not sure if ill make this months one tho :(

T1MEKEEPER

Smash Rookie
cobalt... he won a wiimote tourny round using a wiimote ignoring the fact that he mains a wiimote and no one else uses a wiimote. that says nothing about his ability. it only tells us he likes wiimotes. but yeah, as i said already, he should should bring his wiimote to stigmaB this month...
dude ffs if u will read my posts i have admitted already multiple times that i understand it was/is a big dissadvantage to u guys.

oh btw thx for not calling me a scrub without reason cobalt :D

EDIT: sry for double post i forgot in my frustration

Attila_

BRoomer
in case you hadnt noticed, i am yet to call you a scrub either, but you are defs arguing like one...

you dont see the problems with aerials and manuverability? on a gc control, try running, jumping and doing a uair while maintaining your forward momentum. now do it on the wiimote. what's that? you can't? i thought so. i can slam back and forward on my joystick way faster than you can press it on the wiimote. and i know A+B is a grab, but you cant do this without taking your hand off the d-pad (slows running and pivot grabs, and is really awkward).

oh, and i most def can smash without a c-stick. i just didnt know a scrub like you didnt realise that c-stick smashes came out faster. whoops.

T1MEKEEPER

Smash Rookie
in case you hadnt noticed, i am yet to call you a scrub either, but you are defs arguing like one...

you dont see the problems with aerials and manuverability? on a gc control, try running, jumping and doing a uair while maintaining your forward momentum. now do it on the wiimote. what's that? you can't? i thought so. i can slam back and forward on my joystick way faster than you can press it on the wiimote. and i know A+B is a grab, but you cant do this without taking your hand off the d-pad (slows running and pivot grabs, and is really awkward).

oh, and i most def can smash without a c-stick. i just didnt know a scrub like you didnt realise that c-stick smashes came out faster. whoops.
lol well for a start i can do a uair while maintaining forward momentum, in my previous post i already stated that to do a pivot grab properly u have to use the - which is anoying but again with practice is totally doable. I do admit i didnt know that the c-stick smashes came out quicker, i just assumed that the game makers would not have given those who use gamecube controllers what i now view as an unfair advantage. Maybe i will have to switch a cube control after all. :(

EDIT: oh and thx i do appreciate that while debating the controller with me you have done it in a more proffessional and non-offensive manner than even i have. i now regret some of my pretentiousness in my previous post, please accept my humble appologies.

tibs7

Smash Champion
well with wiimote it is real hard to reverse aerial rush, glide-tossing in every direction (sooo hard) and dash attack cancel UpSmash, which are essenial AT's for a good player (i dont know one snake user that doesnt mortar slide). And not to mention moving in general is hard.

as i mentioned b4 i will def b attending one of the stigma tourneys at some point, not sure if ill make this months one tho :(
Well do whatever you can to come =) you will be surprised at the level we (us GC control users) play at compared to what we did with the crapmote

p.s GC control>wiimote

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I've seen some that are good with the Wiimote, but only with the nunchuk as well.

Viral-Enki

Smash Cadet
^Because it has a stick I guess.

Most of the AT's that have been developed in Brawl rely so heavily on directional control/maneuverability that even the best players can't win unless these use a GC controler or something very similar.
Players that use Wii-motes are welcome to, but they will find it harder and harder to compete at higher levels without being able to execute techniques to the ability and simplicity that GC users can.
So in that sense, GC is definately better than Wiimote.

Jei Jei

Smash Champion
NNID
Jei_Soul
3DS FC
1564-4103-8935
Never vsed Attila (schmot) 1v1. Only in doubles.
T1ME I only lashed out because of your first post. cbf going through it now but it was something along the lines of "whooping us smashers" in the finals.
You were just fortunate enough to be placed against Forte, who never plays brawl. Be it Dekar or Tibs chances are you wouldn't of won. You can talk big after you actually play us on even grounds, not some bogus tournament hugely in your favour (which at least you admitted)

Anyway I'm sorry for being a pr*ck, I was just in a bad mood.

Vermy

Smash Champion
Actually, i disagree. Paladin, (one of our regulars at Melb brawl tourneys) plays with a wii-mote and nunchuk, and does quite well.
A friend of mine also prefers to play with a classic controller, and with that he's given Jei a run for his money (Jei i'm referring to Coconut and his Mario/G&W)
I don't think the controller determines the player, but using a wiimote by itself massively limits possibilities.

As for you, Timekeeper,

Wiimote relies on batteries.
What do you do if it doesn't respond properly? Hope for the other player to stop so you can fix it? Fat chance. Gamecube contriller is accurate, lagless, comfortable and has buttons more accessible than a wiimote does. If the wiimote on its own really was superior, don't you think there would be more people coming to back up your statement? There are people here (Such as myself) who have been playing the Smash series for 10 years, we have experience and we know the game inside and out. Instead of taking offence to us knocking the wiimote, why not try and take a little constructive criticism?

Be careful how you talk to people on here. This isnt some forum you can flame people on your computer and not have any repercussions. One can make enemies awfully quick by insulting the wrong person. Youve been labelled a scrub because you use a wiimote and stand by it, you come in here and flame like a scrub, and you dont listen to criticism no matter how softly spoken to. PROVE to us that youre not a scrub and maybe youll get a little respect. Look forward to seeing you at a Stigma-B event.

...And showing you what a REAL match looks like.

Guys if Timekeeper was able to win with a wii-mote, imagine the things he can do with a GC controller. Don't call him a scrub right away. Only after he attends one of the Stigma's can you decide whether he's a scrub or not.
I agree.

Give him time.

No pun intended lol.

Jei Jei

Smash Champion
NNID
Jei_Soul
3DS FC
1564-4103-8935
Hehe silly Vermy. I would never play Pit against any G&W in a real match. The matchup is like 80:20 in G&W's favour that's why your friend gave me trouble.

I will admit though he was unusually skilled for someone who doesn't enter tournaments.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Silly Luke.

Super Moderators wub me. :) The two most evil Super Mods gave me my Modship (Xsy/Azua).

The only thing that scares me right now are wii-motes.

T1MEKEEPER

Smash Rookie
@ Jei - the bit at the end of my first post about giving u all another wooping was just a throwaway line and i didnt mean anything by it lol.

@Vermiis - lol yeah if my wiimote runs out of batteries, i lose. big deal. Its a game lol. Of course i would like to be as competitive as i can (especially with the whole wiimote controversy) but it isnt the end of the world if i lose. I never said the wiimote was superior, it was my argument that it was not inferior.

I have done a bit of googling looking for some kindof testing of suspected wiimote lag and controller speed/accuracy in general, has anyone seen anything like that?
oh and lol @ the comments about repercussions for flaming on a ssb board. What r u gonna do?

that being said:

@ everyone - It was never my intention to flame/insult anyone or in any way hurt their feelings, again please accept my humblest appologies if i have done so. All of my debating about controls and such was simply cos i got flamed for using a wiimote lol.

T1MEKEEPER

Smash Rookie
Oh, i don't, maybe, ban you? O_o
ooo boy does that mean i wouldnt be able to join again under a different name? lol
oh and bring on the ip ban. lol if some1 wants to troll forums (not that i plan to) there isnt much the mods can do.

EDIT: lol why am i always the one who gets dragged into the mindless conflicts?

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
lol its ok I like you, you have a cool avatar.
I think the trick is beat everyone then have a massive ego (yeah thats right you know who, I'm looking at you lol) if you could perfect the wiimote that would be kinda ****, but something to think about if you do real bad in the tourney you should mess around with a gcc, give it sometime, see how it goes.

edit- lol also they CAN ip ban you so you cant join with a different name, and also when you go to tourneys everyone will treat you like a ****, unless you happen to be juggy in which case everyone loves you for some reason.

T1MEKEEPER

Smash Rookie
lol @ ip ban not hard to get around, but enough of that trash talk. Yeah i think everyone will be kinda edgy until i make it to a stigma brawl and see where my standard of play is at. If either i get my *** handed to me or i find evidence of the cube control being better i will change. The only reason i havent changed before is because i havent really needed to lol, only time will tell if i do need to. (Pun fully intended)

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
@TIMEKEEPER: All the AT's in this thread assume that you use a GC controller
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=187873
Just fyi

Also when it comes to the GCN Controller vs. Wiimote, it's a matter of preference. GCN controllers are the preference of all of the best players in the world, and I've never heard of a player getting very far with a wiimote in a tournament setting with all control styles available.

However, if you were to switch to the GCN controller mid-tournament, you'd (probably) end up doing worse since you're not used to it. GCN controllers are not this magical device that will make you 10x better. It just opens up options that aren't available on a wiimote such as being able to move backwards whilst doing a F-air and visa-versa (which is incredibly important for spacing in Brawl).

Just wanted to put in my $0.02

What character do you main btw?

Suntan Luigi

Smash Lord
I'm not even going to read the posts on this page. Why is this conversation still going on? Timekeeper already apologized and will try to prove himself worthy by attending one of our Stigmas.

Attila_

BRoomer
I never said the wiimote was superior, it was my argument that it was not inferior.
ok well now i have to admit now that there are some things i can't do with a wiimote yet. i still cant sliding up-smash with snake.
contradiction..?

oh, and wiimote should not be confused with wiichuck, as the wiichuck has a joystick and a few more buttons, and my favourite snake in the whole world uses one (ultimate razer). never seen anyone good with a wiimote alone.

this has gone on far too long... is stigmaB almost here yet?

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
^Because it has a stick I guess.
Definetly. Good luck trying to walk instead of run with the wiimote, let alone other stuff. Ugg.

Gamecube contriller is lagless
Again with the superstition that 'wireless has teh lagz'? Sigh...

now now, dont make me get a super moderator... thats right SUPER! with glowing golden hair and all!
Speaking of, seen this?
http://stacksmash.cultnet.net/?p=3762

Silly Luke.

Super Moderators wub me. :) The two most evil Super Mods gave me my Modship (Xsy/Azua).
you mean two-of-the-three most evil Smods, yeah? :(

T1MEKEEPER

Smash Rookie
@Vyse - thx i will look thru those AT's next time i get a chance. I main snake btw.

@Attila - nah no contradiction there, and notice the past tense i.e. i "was" arguing. If i find (as i believe i might) proof that the GC contol is unnavoidably better, (eg c-stick smashes might be a few frames faster than it is possible to do on a wiimote) then i will concede that it is the better controller and begin trying to use it myself.

uaq

Smash Rookie
I was really excited about this tournament until I found out that you were only allowed to use the wiimote.

I think it'll almost be not worth entering for me, I have one night (in which I'm working) before the qualifiers, and I just had a few games with the wiimote, which I found to be incredibly difficult to play well with.

uaq

Smash Rookie
i guess I should of read the 13 pages of people complaining before I posted. Noob error, sorry guys. >.<

I forget... on the internet your opinion is never original or unique.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
lol dragonball z came out first and sonic shamelessly copied them, even his eyes turn teal green just like a super sayain. ahh... back in the day when sonic was cool and not an emo ****.
so like cao you used to live in America, have you ever met boss?

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
lol dragonball z came out first and sonic shamelessly copied them, even his eyes turn teal green just like a super sayain. ahh... back in the day when sonic was cool and not an emo ****.
so like cao you used to live in America, have you ever met boss?
Yeah, I was his introduction into the Smash scene and I saw him several months ago in San Diego. Why?!

Top Bottom