• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The new top tier?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cia

das kwl
I think Zelda could be the next character to move up. (Not very far, but up)

When you think about it, she plays alot like jigglypuff - 4 jumps. Her second jump, while short, is perfect for spacing her Fairs/Bairs to sweetspot and they do anywhere from 16-20% I don't know the exact numbers, but they come out REALLY fast (maybe like 5 frames or something) so OoS Bairs and Nairs add up. After like 4 of them, Falco can't even make it back to the stage. And they have incredible range.

Nair is also decent since it can lead to Bair. Same with Dash attack since it's essentially the same as Peach's. And her Jab is nice for spacing. Her DownSmash RAAAPES Falcon, Ganon, pretty much any heavy character. And her recovery is **** (but you all knew that)

I think that if it weren't for Sheik, Zelda would get just a little more attention and she'd have a decent spot on the tier list.

D

Deleted member

IMO the tier list should be-

viable: fox falco sheik marth CF peach jigglypuff ICs
non-viable: everyone else

either way, the tier list isn't changing.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
This may be me but I think j-puff should be above falcon. THey both combo the crap out of everything, j-puff has the much better recovery, falcon is easily chain thrown, tech chased,and comboed unlike j-puff, falcon is waveshined, falcon is faster and gets kills a little faster, j-puff is uber easy to to kill over the top unlike falcon, and j-puff has DOWN-B,but falcon has can his broken B move. j-puff should be a little higher than falcon, but hey that's just me.

soma ghost

Smash Journeyman
Falco
Jiggs
fox
marth
shiek/cpt.F/Peach
DR.M/Gannon

I hate putting jiggs up that high, but she's winning to much to ignore.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
IMO the tier list should be-

viable: fox falco sheik marth CF peach jigglypuff ICs
non-viable: everyone else

either way, the tier list isn't changing.
HMW Just won a tourney with Doc? Beating out a Sheik.....:confused:

I have a question though. If you no longer wish to oversee the advancement of the game then shouldn't you put someone else in charge of it?

Smash Master
I think Zelda could be the next character to move up. (Not very far, but up)

When you think about it, she plays alot like jigglypuff - 4 jumps. Her second jump, while short, is perfect for spacing her Fairs/Bairs to sweetspot and they do anywhere from 16-20% I don't know the exact numbers, but they come out REALLY fast (maybe like 5 frames or something) so OoS Bairs and Nairs add up. After like 4 of them, Falco can't even make it back to the stage. And they have incredible range.

Nair is also decent since it can lead to Bair. Same with Dash attack since it's essentially the same as Peach's. And her Jab is nice for spacing. Her DownSmash RAAAPES Falcon, Ganon, pretty much any heavy character. And her recovery is **** (but you all knew that)

I think that if it weren't for Sheik, Zelda would get just a little more attention and she'd have a decent spot on the tier list.
IMO, Zelda's recovery has way too much landing lag to be "****." Combined with her non-existant aerial mobility after an up-B, she's definitely getting wrecked if she's ever off the stage after her second jump.

AprilShaw

aka Logan
Ever since Sheik was top I've thought Falco had the most potential :| I'll probably get made fun of but, my idea for a tier list would be

Falco
Fox
Jiggs
Sheik
Marth
----
Peach
Falcon
all the rest

After Falcon I haven't really thought out. But yeah I've seen Jiggs and Falco as top tier material since 2005 lmao (it was Sheik > Fox > Marth > Peach > Falco > Falcon > Samus > Jiggs back then)

Edit: Just realized I posted the exact same list as M2K. Dunno if that's a good thing or a bad thing, lol.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
jiggly isn't that broken that only is for pichu and maybe a few other uber light people were it's a one hit kill move, but jigglypuff has to be dumb to try and rest pichu I once took 2 stocks from a rest happy jigglypuff she took 0 not even up-tilt rest is smart sometimes. But it's hard to even hit pichu sometimes sometimes. wait he should be called G-chu

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
JIGGS AND FALCO ARENT THE BEST.
its just mango godammit! if armada won genesis, EVERYONE saying falco and jiggs for top would be saying peach for top.

when it comes down to top and high tier, skill is what matters the most.

SDC

Smash Lord
Nobody (I hope) is saying jiggz and falco are the best. However, perhaps a possible adjustment to the tier list could be to add a spot at the bottom of the top tier for jigglypuff?

1. Fox
2. Marth
3. Sheik
4. Falco
5. Jigglypuff

Of course before this is even seriously considered, I think the results of non-MaNg0 Puffs at pound 4 should be taken into account. Basically, maybe after pound 4 if non-MaNg0 puffs still do well, then perhaps adding a spot at the bottom of top tier for jiggz is a viable option?

Discuss.

HawaiianJigglyPuff

Smash Ace
JIGGS AND FALCO ARENT THE BEST.
its just mango godammit! if armada won genesis, EVERYONE saying falco and jiggs for top would be saying peach for top.

when it comes down to top and high tier, skill is what matters the most.
who got 3rd place?

I think Falco does have a lot of potential (still). Watching the metagame for falco change in the last 2 or 3 years is huge. Same with Jigglypuff.

The real question is, how many tournaments need to go by before we think it's time to change the tier list?

Obviously no one is saying, Genesis results = current metagame and thus we need new tier list with fox moving way down and jiggs going on top. (i.e. one tournament does not mean everything)
But Jiggs has been climbing a lot in the past two years, mostly, but not entirely, because of Mango.
But seriously, when was the last big tourney where a fox won? Jman against mango at mm?...because i mean, mango wasnt playing jiggs lolz

SDC

Smash Lord
The real question is, how many tournaments need to go by before we think it's time to change the tier list?
Excellent question. Personally I think it should be after pound 4, but in reality, the only opinion that really matters is that of the BR >_>

Obviously no one is saying, Genesis results = current metagame and thus we need new tier list with fox moving way down and jiggs going on top. (i.e. one tournament does not mean everything)
But Jiggs has been climbing a lot in the past two years, mostly, but not entirely, because of Mango.
But seriously, when was the last big tourney where a fox won? Jman against mango at mm?...because i mean, mango wasnt playing jiggs lolz
Correct, one tournament does not mean everything. Which is why, as I said, it should be atleast after pound 4. And yes jigglypuff has been doing very well the past couple of years, not JUST because of Mango.

Smoke and smash

Smash Journeyman
Jiggs is an amazing character. A solid Jiggs gives any smasher a hard time, regardless of who they play as.

Roy would be a good jiggs counter, but aside from his instant upB KO's, he has like nothing.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Jiggs is an amazing character. A solid Jiggs gives any smasher a hard time, regardless of who they play as.

Roy would be a good jiggs counter, but aside from his instant upB KO's, he has like nothing.
I think that if Roy was slightly faster, he'd be a very solid character.

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion

the up B ohko isnt ****. the only reason to ever use it is if they miss a rest.

AprilShaw

aka Logan
Looooool I tried to clarify by saying, I've been thinking of Falco and Jiggs as much higher than the tier list shows for a long time. But obviously no one read that and just thought I was sucking Mango's ****...

Get real, I dunno about Mew2king's decision and how much it was influenced by Mango but Falco and Jiggs are great characters overall. They've got a lot of potential that's just starting to be realized now. And it's not just Mango, look at how well Shiz, Zhu, Hungrybox, etc. are doing. It's totally different from Armada and Peach, because there just aren't that many Peaches placing that high at major tournies. Falcos, Foxes, and Jiggs are consistently doing very well, and Marth/Sheik/etc players are falling behind.

Blea Gelo

Smash Lord
for me is, 1marth 2fox 3sheik/falco 4jiggs/peach 5falcon

Despite marth is falling behind. fod 7 or 6 yeras, 2 marth players were the top 1, ken and m2k.

the game is obviously evolving and i understand your point.. but that does not mean marths players cannot keep evolving.. marth is fast, good recovery, nice smash, sweet aerials, a good WD, i dont know its what i think...

It could be 1fox and marth, because into the platform, not commboing, fox is better at spacing because of beeing faster and lasers.. but marth is better for killing someone.. thers my confussion

Foy

Smash Champion
No need for a tierlist at all now. Its basically about who you are good with and match ups.
We need a tier list for characters and they stages they are on.

Hax

Smash Champion
IMO tier list goes

Fox
Falco
Jiggs
Sheik
Marth (he just can't catch up with the metagame)
Peach (theoretically the 3rd best character in the game. while that lvl of play can't be reached however, armada proved she deserves at least 6th)
Falcon (the worst of the "viable" characters - at max potential he is awful; however if the player is a skilled techchaser he can compete)

IC's are too slow to get a grab, ganon is a nerfed falcon, doc is all around balanced however its better to excel in certain categories than be neutral in many.

BluePeachy100

Smash Champion
You know the funny thing about how players should affect tier lists, yet most people don't consider, or are even too stupid to realize. The fact of the matter is, Mango, Armada, Darkrain, ect. They all show what the characters are capable of, and with that being show, it should be enough for them to be moved accordingly in the list. For instance, Armada. Yes, I am a Peach main, but I show no favoritism in a tier list. Anyway, Armada's placing in Genesis does constitute for at least CONSIDERATION of Peach moving up on the tier list, because he has shown Peach on another level, and it could be possible to play her even better than that. I'm not saying that character limitations don't come into play, but when stacked up against the amount of good characteristics of a character. If a character is capable of more than we thought before, then it does deserve the consideration to be moved up, but I don't agree with it being unprecidented. Genesis, however was not unprecidented, there were a lot of Peaches placing higher there. Showing things people hadn't seen previous to the tournament. The same thing applies for Falco, Jigglypuff, Marth, Sheik, ect. I just used peach because I could relate to that character the most. =/

unknown522

Some guy
IMO tier list goes

Fox
Falco
Jiggs
Sheik
Peach (theoretically the 3rd best character in the game. while that lvl of play can't be reached however, armada proved she deserves at least 6th)
Falcon (the worst of the "viable" characters - at max potential he is awful; however if the player is a skilled techchaser he can compete)

IC's are too slow to get a grab, ganon is a nerfed falcon, doc is all around balanced however its better to excel in certain categories than be neutral in many.
I like your post.

I think jiggs is 5th, then after that I agree with the rest of your list.

BBQ°

Smash Champion
IMO tier list goes

Fox
Falco
Jiggs
Sheik

A good list, but I think Ganondorf should be at the top. One forward air and that's a stock.

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
i agree that marth has been stagnant recently. i do think that he has more potential that has yet to be unlocked. although, so does fox and peach.

armada will win pound 4. then, a marth will rise. or maybe jman. idk, only time will tell.

most likely, it would be a new fox(or already exsiting), mango, a new marth(or already exsiting on), armada, and a new sheik(or already exsiting on), and maybe a hax/scar/jeff/darkrain will get better. but they would be evening out and battling for the top constantly.

wool

Smash Ace
The thing with peach is that she can have massive mind games (more than other characters). And mind games is a huge factor in tournaments. That's like the reason why I think she is so high. But the tier list doesn't reflect that though.

Falco's recovery is just too bad for me to place him 2nd.
Fox
Sheik
Marth
Falco
Puff

That would be the tier list IMO. Peach isn't up there since the tier list doesn't factor mind game potential.

Ocean

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
OCEAN#0
Peach isn't up there since the tier list doesn't factor mind game potential.
tier list is based off tournament results.
tournament results are affected by mindgames.

tl;dr: you're wrong.

HawaiianJigglyPuff

Smash Ace
IMO tier list goes

Fox
Falco
Jiggs
Sheik

Truth. This is a good post.
Falcon really is the worst of the "viable characters." IMO, he doesn't have a good match up with anyone in the top 8 of the tier list.

I was so amazed to see you scar and darkrain in top 10 because falcon really just doesnt seem that good when you get to such a high level.

*props*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom