• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The new top tier?

Status
Not open for further replies.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
should be, if someone could perfectly(not saying power sheild everything of anything like that) control the ice climbers, I know everyone would demand them to be much higher, but I think the top 4 are safe for now.
Unless something retartly near broken is discovered.

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
imo.... the tiers are good where they are.
but i see the top tier(no order)
fox
marth
falco
sheik

marth>fox/falco. fox/falco>sheik. sheik>marth. they all counter eachother out, so no single char can rule.

just cause mango is the current "best", doesnt mean jiggs/falco are top.

also link+pika into mid. roy should be at top of low, where link was imo.

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
imo.... the tiers are good where they are.
but i see the top tier(no order)
fox
marth
falco
sheik

marth>fox/falco. fox/falco>sheik. sheik>marth. they all counter eachother out, so no single char can rule.
It's like Fox > Sheik > Marth > Falco > Fox. Unfortunately, now Jiggz is in the equation, and people can't agree on what to do.

strawhats

Smash Master
Yoshi of course!

lol but seriously, I could see him giving top tier a hard time for a while. With his DJC counters, awesome edgeguarding, Surprisingly great aerial movement and fluid comboes on fast fallers.
Primarily the whole DJC counter thing xD
I really do wanna see someone master yoshi like that though, and see how long itd take top tiers to adjust to the lil guy.
Fumi, where u at? We need your god tier yoshi again.

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
It's like Fox > Sheik > Marth > Falco > Fox. Unfortunately, now Jiggz is in the equation, and people can't agree on what to do.
the point is all those matches are close to even AND stage dependant, but i dont see jiggs being top. i know that mango is the best, but thats mango. rules dont apply with that fruit. i think jiggs is better than falcon. mayyybe peach.

i think mango might agree. jiggs isnt good enough for TT. very close though, she should prolly rule HT

azianraven

Smash Journeyman
A new top tier doesn't seem very likely.

Everyone's in the right place imo and even if someone came breaking through with a character that isn't top tier, It's not like that character will be considered THE top tier.

Even if the player showed some breakthrough or a new style (highly doubtful) with said character, I still can't see the top tier changing; they just have the overall advantage on the rest of the cast and over the someodd 8 years this game has been around, the list hasn't moved much.

SDC

Smash Lord
Fox is better then falco. I know falco has some really broken **** but fox is still the OVERALL better character.

Speaking of m2k, there's something I never quite got about him. DISCLAIMER: He is one of my favorites, and I think that if he got his confidence back he'd kick mango's *** (sorry mango ;)). But, what I don't get is, he is called MEWTWOking, he uses mewtwo for his sig/avi, but he doesn't use mewtwo. WTF I never got that. I heard that he used mew2 when he first picked up melee, but I first used bowser when I first picked up melee, it was like 8 years ago. Does M2k ever use mew2? Ever? If so, vids :p

soma ghost

Smash Journeyman
I think this thread was made to see what characters have the untapped potential to become top tier. Not who we think is top tier or isn't and should be.(maybe I', wrong but . . . . )
If it weren't for Mewtwo's giant hit box and weakness for getting comboed to hell, I'd say him. Great comboing ability and recovery. But it is what it is, and he's a punching bag. And if there were no falco or sheik I think link would be a big time tourney character. In my opinion those are his only real horrible match ups. But if there is a character that's going to be climbing up the tier list I think it's mario. He's doc only better. Better recovery better reach, faster, so I am confused as to why doc gets so much more tourney play.

azianraven

Smash Journeyman
But if there is a character that's going to be climbing up the tier list I think it's mario. He's doc only better. Better recovery better reach, faster, so I am confused as to why doc gets so much more tourney play.
Because Doc is a beast.

Doc has a little more weight, more power, overall better projectile, cape is better, better grab combos than Mario.

Mario has his strengths over Doc, but Doc overall is better.

I think Dr. Mario might be making a show soon in the future, but that could just be me dreaming :(

Comrade

Smash Journeyman
I think this thread was made to see what characters have the untapped potential to become top tier. Not who we think is top tier or isn't and should be.(maybe I', wrong but . . . . )
If it weren't for Mewtwo's giant hit box and weakness for getting comboed to hell, I'd say him. Great comboing ability and recovery. But it is what it is, and he's a punching bag. And if there were no falco or sheik I think link would be a big time tourney character. In my opinion those are his only real horrible match ups. But if there is a character that's going to be climbing up the tier list I think it's mario. He's doc only better. Better recovery better reach, faster, so I am confused as to why doc gets so much more tourney play.
You are correct, sir!

Concerning mew2, has anyone ever thought of memorizing where (vertically) the shadowball will be (on its bouncing path) at any given horizontal point? Would this even be practical? I know it can go OVER G&W's bucket, but that's just G&W.

I also don't see why doc isnt used more. Does he have some glaring weakness I don't know about?
EDIT: I guess his recovery is sub-par...

D

Deleted member

Jigglypuff beats Sheik and Falco and goes even with Marth. Loses to Fox. Maybe if someone played as Jiggz and Falco they could have the best of both worlds (assuming Falco beats/goes even with Fox). Fox and Jiggz and Falco are probably looking to be the best right now. Fox is probably the best doubles character. Falco might be the best singles character. Marth is still a great tournament character simply because of ease of use.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
But if there is a character that's going to be climbing up the tier list I think it's mario. He's doc only better. Better recovery better reach, faster, so I am confused as to why doc gets so much more tourney play.
saying he's better then doc is kind of a stretch. Doc has more power in exchange for shorter range, has a better vertical recovery in exchange for worse horizontal, and a longer sheet in exchange for dropping faster then with cape. if anything, they are almost opposites. I don't see Plumber Man passing his Doctor counterpart anytime soon, but at best he can pass Luigi, and worst tie with DK. other then that...

I agree with this message.

Vulcan55

Smash Lord
Because Doc is a beast.
Truf.
Doc has a little more weight,
Not truf. Except in PAL.

cape is better
Cape is easier for edge guarding, but better?
Not really. Plus Mario's is actually good for his recovery.

EDIT:
shorter range
How so?
has a better vertical recovery
This cannot be true. Mario has a (upB)walljump, and his cape lifts you up.
I'm sure Mario's recovery is all-around better than Doc.
longer sheet
Mario's is the long one, Doc's is the tall one.

wool

Smash Ace
Doc has a shorter range on his fmsmash and (dsmash?)
Doc has those pills and that KOBE I don't really see Mario rivaling those.

Speaking of m2k, there's something I never quite got about him. DISCLAIMER: He is one of my favorites, and I think that if he got his confidence back he'd kick mango's *** (sorry mango ;)). But, what I don't get is, he is called MEWTWOking, he uses mewtwo for his sig/avi, but he doesn't use mewtwo. WTF I never got that. I heard that he used mew2 when he first picked up melee, but I first used bowser when I first picked up melee, it was like 8 years ago. Does M2k ever use mew2? Ever? If so, vids :p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjllzaWTcL0

3:05

Pi

Smash Hero
What's happening to samus ._.
She's not getting enough Rep
And I think falco could get mad annoying with lasers if he wanted to
I swear I'm gonna get my samus mad good!

Also...

Why the **** does anyone even care about 'tiers' any more...

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
I think top Tier creators have something against Pink. Nobody in the top has or can have pink what soever. However Given the limited amount of Jiggs players I believe Jiggs despite being High tier is still underrated. She can Beat most in the top tier and do it pretty easily. Look at what other players like Darc, Hbox, Even King did and King is rusty as hell. I mean when The best player in the world was a Marth Main Marth ruled to Top. Now the Best Player in the world is a Jiggs Player and....suddenly it doesn't matter. Sound like a double standard to me? Racist Mofo's shutting out pink.

Airwalkerr

Smash Journeyman
Mario's problem is he's lacking the kills. His cape is his only reliable gimp, wheras 2 bairs from Doc offstage and most opponents are dead. Doc's pills rock the defense and offensive game, he's got 1 highly useable kill move that Mario doesn't (Fair) and although his range isn't great, Mario has to combo into kills anyhow. Soo it doesn't make a big difference if Doc does too.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Yeah Mario's recovery is just better all around. Most of Doc's moves do more damage.. his bair has a lot more knockback, which I like a lot.

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
new tiers arent that important when u think about it. we already know who is good and who sucks by now. current ones r good enough.

keeper

Smash Champion
I would say I agree with M2K, but then I'd get a lot of hate for being a kiss-up.

Anyway, the only thing I don't agree with from his quick little list is the placeme-Wait, I agree with the placement of Falcon. I do think that the ICs should be used more/used better (if possible) than they are. I'd like to see a consistent IC player get first a lot that isn't Chu Dat (Wobbles wobbling doesn't count imo >_>). Fly Amanita is good, but I don't know that he places top 3 in his region consistently.

The only real change I'd make is to move Marth to the third spot. He's too good.

Note: I hate Falco.

Post edit:

I'd move Falco behind Fox and Marth and have him tied with Sheik.

Ojanya

Smash Ace
Falco Fox Jiggs Sheik Marth Peach CF/ICs Doc Ganon imo
Is that in order from highest to lowest? If so, would you really consider Jiggs over sheik AND marth...? I don't understand where this comes from, really.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
ok lets put it this way

Mango, Hbox, and Darc ranked higher than every marth and sheik at Genesis except me

she has like 100000 OHKO set ups, up throw rest kills fox at 11% (with good DI on the rest) on FD, up tilt rest kills sheik at 0% at the edge on pokemon stadium, back throw = edge hog rest, bair = more bairs to edge hog to rest, she's the best character in teams, can't be gimped, and can't be comboed. You can also spam SH Nair and drift back safely and after like around 70% it knocks Fox on the ground and you can either F smash or Dash attack to tech chase him she's ******** idc what the rest of you think at the highest level of play she's amazing but I still say Falco's the best probably

Falco can outcamp every character, does not get gimped unless you're stupid (see Ally's Snake in Brawl), and combos marth guaranteed 0-55 with GOOD DI on the initial shine no matter what. Just waveshine the first shine then full jump over Marth and make it inescapable that you Fast fall Dair him, then do either another shine or some up tilt combo. Falco does not lose to Marth it's even at WORST if not Falco's advantage at the highest level of play. I think Falco goes even at worst with every char and is better than Fox in singles slightly, although Fox is better overall because of teams being a factor. IDC what the rest of you think I'm going to say what I think is true.

GawdImFoxy

Smash Journeyman
I personally like Sheik. I don't play her, but she has ridiculous edgeguarding ability in a scene where Edgeguarding is one of the most important tactics to winning.

That being said, shine-spiking is pretty significant too, and we can't count out Jiggs' ability to recover. All 3 are gimpalicious in my opinion.

On the other hand, you can't really base a tier off gimpability; there's a lot more to the game than that. Falco has some easy combos and Marth has stupid range. I'd say Fox covers pretty much all the bases with his blistering speed though, he can get inside Marth's range with a simple mind game or dash dance. He can shine spike through Falco's over/upb. His only somewhat difficult matchups are Sheik and Jiggs(in the right hands).

Fox isn't moving, I don't think. He's WAY too good of a character, but more difficult to control than most. He takes practice.

I don't think Marth will move either. Most characters have difficulty getting inside his sword's ridiculous reach. Furthermore, he's fairly quick to follow up with combos. He can even get 2 Fairs in one shorthop. That's just splendid. A two-hit combo in ONE shorthop.

Sheik is pretty good all around too. She's even got a good tech chase, even if that IS one of her primarily good qualities. She's a good Falcon counter, which makes her that much better with as many people that main/second Falcon as this country has. She edgeguards pretty much anyone with relative ease. I don't believe she'll be going anywhere but up.

The only top tier character I see going down is MAYBE Falco. As soon as people start finding a way to counter his shine combos, or learn that the best way to take down a Falco is to gimp him, I don't think I'll be seeing AS MANY Falcos as I do now.

I don't see why Jiggs hasn't moved up. Two of our best players in the U.S. are Jiggs mains. I'd maybe place her above Falcon, but that's as high as I'd put her. Then again, I don't decide the tier. There's a reason I don't, as well, I'd be pretty bias. :$

But that's just my point of view. I'm probably wrong.

Yuna-Maria

Smash Ace
At the risk of sounding like a fangirl(maybe I am one, who the hell knows), I'm going to have to say that I agree with Mew2King on this. If there's one thing I learned from BlazBlue, it's that a gaping flaw can be covered up like whoa if the character has enough gay ****.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom