• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Interview Topic - #6 Lain (Interview Up!)

TwentyTwo

Smash Ace
So here in the general brawl room we will be bringing you an interview from a Top Player or Influential Member of the Community every other week, to be released soon.

Better yet the questions we will be using will be coming from none other than well, you. The format works like this. I will open the thread, tell you who we are interviewing this go around, and then leave it open for about a week for you to submit any and all potential interview questions you can think of (please only post actual questions in the thread until the interview goes up). We will then take the best of the bunch, use them for the actual interview, and then bam like butter will edit the topic so the world can see the interview.

Past Interviews:

M2K
DSF
Anther
Dojo
NinjaLink

XTrav8
How have illegal substances affected your game?
Lain: IF I used it, I would guess, that it would make the game way more fun to play competitive, however campy or "gay". it allows me to get into a very competitvely state when i play.

Ook
How can you stand traveling 3-4+ hours to every tournament you go to (multiple times per month)? What do you do in the car on the way there?
Lain: Smoking weed, sure would help, that is of course if i did it.

GwJumpman
How did it feel beating M2K at Apex?
Lain: It felt amazing. Standing up to see the entire room not playing matches, but cheering and going nuts for me.

KingFunk
Do you (or did you) play SSBM or Smash 64? Who do you main in these games?
Lain: i started playing melee like end of 2006. i changed mains multiple times (never playing ic's, i thought they were too weird) and endd with fox. however, now in melee i main falcon.

Crashic
In the future, which will be more improtant, than chain grab or the de-synch?
Lain: The infinite chaingrab will always be important and key just so the character isn't garbage. However, because of the IC's unique trait of being two characters, they have the capacity to work around many obstacles and create unique pressure and prediction. Already, the top IC players are starting to incorporate desyncing in "outsmarting" players.
22:that's an interesting prospect, i wouldn't think they were garbage if they were limited to say 5 grabs
Lain: if IC's don't have the ability to kill from one grab, they will drop to low tier. In melee they could wavedash, actually had setups INTO grabs, and had far more killing power and edgegaruding ability. In Brawl, they have bad running speed, bad priority coupled with bad range, no setups into grabs, and have very little edgegaruding ability now.

Gates
Where did you get those amazing glasses?
Lain: Chicago
Which is gayer: IC dittos or Dedede dittos?
Lain: DDD dittos hands down

Commander_Beef
What was the time period for your practicing of Ice Climbers before you mastered them?
Lain: Well that's the thing, I haven't "mastered" them. There's still a lot of potential here that I'm missing. It's always a learning experience.

Melomaniacal
Describe. your first tournament experience. How did you place?
Lain: My first tournament was at a library in downtown Ann Arbor. I played Roy, and I think I won one match on Onnett after spamming B against a Falco into a wall over and over and then a car came. I later decided that I didn't like losing, so I joined Smashboards after hearing about it from a person I vaguely knew who was there.

Yeksson
What are your thoughts on Meep developing the Ice Climbers' metagame?
Lain: Meep is extremely smart and "up-to-date" on the metagame. He will be a top player for years to come, meaning he will surely explore the IC's metagame further the further other players expand and get better. I love Meep.

Clowsui
Lain, why did you pick up Marth and if you are going to continue to use him, what matchups are you going to use him for?
Lain: I play Marth simply because he's really fun and I like the way you have to play him. If I were to continue playing him I guess I would use him in the G&W, Wario, or Peach matchup. However, he's just really realy fun to play.

Tuen
What are your top three most difficult match ups? How about your top three easiest match ups?
Lain:3 Hardest in no particular order: Snake, MK, Yoshi
3 easiest in no particular order: Pikachu, Sheik, Yoshi

IxxI
Why is your Nana so freakin' smart?
Lain: I have no idea why my Nana is so ridiculously awesome. I have however become convinced then when I play IC, I'm actually channelling Chu Chakra.

McDingus
What's the most amount of hours you've gone without sleep?
Lain: Like around ~72 hours?

Nefarious B
It seems like there has been a huge change in your performance following your amazing placing at Apex. What changed for you, or what facet of your gameplay did you change, to produce such a dramatic improvement?
Lain: It's not so much that APEX changed my gameplay. It's more I came to APEX having won like every tournament in the Midwest for the last like 3 months, my IC metagame was developed quite far by that point, and thus I did really well.

VodkaHaze
How do you react to people who believe Brawl takes no skill whatsoever?
Lain:I want to be harsh and call them idiots and berate them, but I realize that I play both games and I love both, a lot of people play one and are turned off by either the "non-technical" "too slow thus no real thought or skill can be applied" of Brawl, or the "button-mashing" "mindless comboing" aspects of melee. Both are sweeping generalizations and are completely wrong. BOTH games take a lot of intelligence to play, but in different ways. Melee is more technical then Brawl, who cares?

What modifications would you make to Brawl's current tier list?
Lain: basically IC and Pika for S tier, Wario and Diddy for A tier

Arora
Do you think you can take ally in a bar fight?
Lain: Without a doubt.
Whats yur favorite cartoon?
Lain: Ah, that's a tough one. Cow and Chicken?

Tuestresfat
When your opponent goes ignores popo (you) and goes after nana to try and make it a 1v1 match, do you:

a) save Nana
b) look for an opening and FSMASH them in the face!
c) grab a cookie
d) ask anther what he would do
e) all of the above
Lain: Pray, and also D.

Frown
What's a regular day to you like?
Lain: Nothing spectacular. I go to class in the mornings, and at night I hang out with friends an do various things. All the while SUPPOSEDLY smoking bowls.

Chu245
Are you glad that m2k is in the midwest now?
Lain: Yes and No. We just had Ally here and he beat me at every tournament for like a month. Mew2King thankfully doesn't live down the block though. I do enjoy having both players here simply for the practice. And who knows, maybe I'll cause some upsets.

judge!
who are your top 5 feared people to face in tourney?
Lain: 1. Ally, 2. Mew2King, 3. Judge, 4. Anther, 5. Vayseth

Zajice
Are you and Anther bestest buddy pals? Why do people seem to always put you two together?
Lain: Well we've played each other for like 4 years now, and we've always lived within 30 minutes of each other. We are the odd couple.
22: why don't you guys regularly team then?
Lain: We teamed for like a year straight until winning the Midwest Doubles Championships last year. Then we both kinda wanted to... EXPLORE OTHER OPTIONS. Yes it hurts. But we've reconciled now. I think we'll be teaming more often.

Spelt
Does hammer size matter?
Lain: Well, it's like my father always told me. It's not the size of the hammer, it's the motion of the ocean. Or something like that

Lain is a funny guy, lol.

ook

Smash Lord
How can you stand traveling 3-4+ hours to every tournament you go to (multiple times per month)? What do you do in the car on the way there?

PrinceRamen

Smash Lord
NNID
PrinceRamen
3DS FC
1590-4706-2476
What was your greatest victory yet?(In Brawl that is) How did it make you feel?

How do you train for tourneys and stuff?

btw ook, i like your sig lol!!!

EDIT:

Do you have trouble when playing IC mirror matches?

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Do you grab ***** in real life as much as you do in the game?

What part of women do you like to chain grab?

I heard you go DDD when someone takes you to Rainbow Cruise. Does this mean you act dumb when someone takes you to a gay bar?

Your Nana seems undercontroll, is this from excessive Nana Breaking?

Your travel curse, has the witchdoctor lifted it yet?

What was it like, knowing the best Pikachu had to plank you?

You grab game is really good, and so is your 0 to death. Are you aware this is not Smash 64?

SERIOUS QUESTION:
Do you ever see yourself leaving King DDD?

In the future, which will be more improtant, than chain grab or the de-synch?

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Where did you get those amazing glasses?

Which is gayer: IC dittos or Dedede dittos?

Tennet

Smash Champion
Which is better green or purple? You know what i mean...
Do you love me?
Can I be your Nana?
Are you going to try and use some of that Lainium on Ally?
Is this not the best motivational poster ever?

Who do you love more? Popo or Nana?
How many grabs per game??

Luju

Smash Rookie
How would you best deal with the Ice Climbers vs Snake Match up?

The Cunning Weasel

Smash Master
What are your thoughts on Meep developing the Ice Climbers' metagame?

What happened at WHOBO involving the thugs?

How did you find out about the various Ice Climber grabs?

socandrewcer

Smash Lord
NNID
socandrewcer
3DS FC
1220-8504-8308
Do you think infinite grabs should be banned (including IC's) even though you may use them?

jpl315

Smash Apprentice
are you going to continue to use DDD? (commentator at apex said you were considering dropping)...if so, what would you do about snake?

iProdigy101

Smash Apprentice
How many Brawl tournaments do you normally compete at?
How many hours do you practice competively on Brawl?
Who's your favorite/best teammate in 2vs.2 Brawl tournaments?

Tennet

Smash Champion
We all ask questions, then 22 picks them, then he interviews you via aim or some other messanger or something

clowsui

Smash Legend
Lain will you ever move to Ohio?

okay seriously....

Lain, why did you pick up Marth and if you are going to continue to use him, what matchups are you going to use him for?

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
he better not pick up marth.....

but on topic.

Lain, how many hours did it take you to be able to grab almost 100% perfect?

Tennet

Smash Champion
He has videos of his Marth out there Ori... You'll just have to step it up if he starts using him more etc =P

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Is your favorite move grabbing, seeing as you main ICs (infinities), Secondary D3 (CGs), and apparently dabble with Marth a bit (Grab Release fun on Ness/Lucas). If so, why haven't you picked up Bowser yet?

IrisKong

Smash Lord
LoL... ok I have a question

Will you answer any of these questions seriously? (I doubt it hahaha)

Tennet

Smash Champion
Will you be answering these questions in the same condition you are in when you play smash?

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323
What are your top three most difficult match ups? How about your top three easiest match ups?

How did you learn chaingrab timing? Trial and error, or otherwise?

Do you see IC's ever becoming "god tier" to the point where 3 grabs means a win almost 100% of the time? Why or why not?

Vayseth

Smash Master
Serious question time: Why did you pick King Dedede and Ice Climbers?

Also, Do you play ICs more than King Dedede or the other way around?

Are you starting to play ICs more now because King Dedede's metagame is staling as the IC metagame is exploding right now?

Top Bottom