• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

the CONTROLLER thread! Button Mapping, Controller Type, etc

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Clawing is a way of holding your controller so that more of your fingers have access to more of the buttons. If you needed to hit jump, attack, and c-stick all very fast, your thumb might not be able to keep up.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Has anyone found a way to get both a 'B Stick' and 'C Stick'? Without having to change the C Stick to specials?

D pad requires you to input directions otherwise you you just do your Neutral B without any inputs
Just wondering if anyone had found a solution to this because having the benefits of both a B Stick and C Stick would be extremely useful for me

MintyFlesh

Smash Ace
Fun fact, if you hit up on the analog stick and an aerial with c-stick at the same time, it always short hops, and the aerial comes out ASAP. I do it alot oos

Brother_Yokum

Smash Rookie
I main Ike, and I have 1 specific change for him, which is c-stick being set to attack. I use it because it allows me to sprint off the map and do a down aerial without fast falling, but I never actually knew whether or not that was the only way to acheive this ;o with that I ask if anyone knows how to do that otherwise. Other than that I have tap jump off, and x to grab, though Im still used to the z button and hardly use x anyway :p

plus I like that c-stick as attacks automatically tilts in every direction, however I hate that the diagonals make you jump O_o so I find myself making small mistakes for that reason and I'm unsure its worth it, not to mention Ive only been playing competitively for about 2 months.

as for other chars I just have tap jump off.

edit* I looked it up in the Ike forums, and I dont have questions about it anymore lol.
So back on topic: Tap jump - off, X - grab, C-stick - attack.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
I heard someone replaced the analog stick on their GC controller with the analog stick of their black nunchuck. Any info on that? Black on white would be so hot.

Arikags

Smash Cadet
Does anyone apart from me use the classic controller? I find it's really easy to reach all of the buttons, lots quicker than the gc controller.
REALLY late on this, but I just started reading through the topic.
I use the CCPro, which in my opinion is one of the best setups. (GCC>CCPro>Third Party GCC>CC>Wiimote+Nunchuck>Wiimote)
My button setup is tap-jump(shut up, it works for me), ZL+ZR Shield(takes place of L+R), L+R Grab(takes place of Z), X+A attack, Y+B special, and C-Smash.
I main Marth, Ganon, and Sonic, which creates very different playstyles. However, they all seem to work with C-Smash.

Also, I think that it could be very easy to play as Solimar(Olimar w/o pikmin) using A-Stick setup.
Just throwing that out there. :p

Luxor

Smash Champion
This post has been Editted by Pierce for incorrect information.

You must simultaneously press A and B to take a stock from your ally in a Team Battle.

Blissard

Smash Lord
Are there any benefits in using a controller besides GCC? It just seems absurd that a non-GCC user can't use retreating aerials, DI while using aerials, or DACUS (correct me if I'm wrong).

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Classic controllers can do that as well by default.
Changing the configuration for Mote-chuck could allow it, I think...

Adapt

Smash Lord
I use a wii-chuk configuration, and I don't run into any problems.

Tap jump/Shake-smash = off
D-pad = smash attacks

everything else is standard.

This setup does leave me without a defined grab button, but I play ZSS (who doesn't need a grab button) and I have never had a problem doing chaingrabs with falco by using Z+A.

I really think this is the best setup for playing wii-chuk

Blissard

Smash Lord
I've just looked back at the Mote-Nunchuck Setup. While D-Pad can't control aerial momentum, each individual direction can be set to one of the following:
-Shield
-Grab
-Smash
-Special
-Taunt
-Jump (only the up button)

I think regular grab is A+B, while Z+A is shield grab. Setting D-Pad to smash can utilize some advanced techniques (like as a ZSS player, I'm sure you know of buffered dash attack locks).

Oh, and the main advantage of Wiimotes...THEY'RE WIRELESS!!! (yay I feel so smart for figuring that out)

Captain L

Smash Champion
I always thought being wireless was a disadvantage. Less reliable, I've had batteries die on me mid-match before. Then there's also the issue of syncing the controller every time instead of just plugging it in, and you have to take out the batteries between matches to prevent accidental interference. On top of all this, unlike the gamecube controller the default controls are borderline nonviable so you have to take the extra time to set that up.

I use wiichuck and I don't want to switch, but it's much more of a hassle.

mangan

Smash Cadet
Thought I'd share my button config (GCC)

As falco, I was having trouble with IAP (Instant Aerial Phantasm).

I've always used X to jump, and L to shield. Knowing this, I played around with Y and R and came up with:

Y - Special
R - Attack

I've gotta say, it's amazing. Setting Y to special means you never have to move the tip of your thumb aallll the way over to the B button.

For IAP, I can simply rest my thumb on X & Y. Pad of thumb rests on X, thumb tip hits Y very comfortably. This is also really useful for Pikachu's lagless T-Jolt. I still use B out of habit for 90% of specials (basically everything that doesn't require precision timing) but for those two moves, I find it very valuable.

R - Attack makes it much easier for me to DACUS. Though it seems a small adjustment, I find it a lot easier to time my cancels using the full R shoulder instead of the (for my hands) awkward z button, which is still available for grab.

I'd love to hear your guys' opinion on this config. Currently have tap-jump on...only time I wish it was off is when chaining Uairs as MK, which I just need to take the time to practice.

-Ghost-

Smash Apprentice
I have a small question....

Im new... what is "tap jumping"???
I dont use X and Y... a lot of you respond to that like it's something foreign... you never just jump with the control stick?? (Is that tap jumping?)

Limeee

Smash Champion
I have a small question....

Im new... what is "tap jumping"???
I dont use X and Y... a lot of you respond to that like it's something foreign... you never just jump with the control stick?? (Is that tap jumping?)
its impossible to have control with your character only using tap jump.

assuming you play wolf, you won't be able to space back airs with tap jump
so turn off tap jump (only to get rid of your bad habit) and focus on shorthopping with x and y and then bairing as you land

its not even hard to control your character in this game lol

:009:

Gea

Smash Master

That isn't true. That's like saying control sticking aerials means you can't control your momentum while doing an aerial. It just requires much more speed and precise fingers. There are Melee players who wavedash with the control stick as jump.

My thing is that it's much easier to control the height of your jumps using X/Y. Besides a few uairs in Melee I control stick all of my aerials. I can move one direction and bair in the other just fine.

Luxor

Smash Champion
Having tap jump on allows you finer control in a few cases, such as slamming up and Csticking side for an instant rising SH Bair. Apart from that I only use it OoS and for meteor cancelling.

I use Y to jump and I'm experimenting with Z/X for special, but I still can't SHTL with Fox consistently.

HelpR

Smash Ace
The setup i use is a tad different then most:

Tap jump on
A: Special attacks
B: regular attacks
Y: regular attacks

There's several reasons for this, the first is that i used to main lucas, and felt that zap jumping was very important (For those who dont know, zap jumping is basically jumping then using lucas' forward B in a specific timing, giving a huge upwards boost)

There's 3 methods to do it, one is b-sticking, second is clawing, and the third is doing some attack priority stuff, which i REALLY dont wanna go into here.

I decided to change my configuration for this, eventually it just became natural to me to ues this.

I'm still thinking of any holes my controller setup may have. One of the bigger ones seems to be the fact that i need to pass several buttons to reach the C-stick, though i'm not sure that's that big of a problem, but I dont see any problems with it, so if anyone can point something out, i'd be happy to figure them out, thanks.

-Ghost-

Smash Apprentice

so turn off tap jump (only to get rid of your bad habit) and focus on shorthopping with x and y and then bairing as you land

its not even hard to control your character in this game lol

:009:
Well you still haven't really answered my question... but in response, I've adapted to the use of the control stick very well. I actually find it more comfortable than using X or Y anyway, because using the control stick allows me to jump with my character and maneuver them aerially all in one motion (I use shorthop and then space out my bairs all with the control stick). But... that's just my opinion.

If there's some advantage I'm missing out on then please tell me... and whatever the hell tap jumping is

Luxor

Smash Champion
You can't do retreating Fairs, approaching Bairs, and it's really hard to RAR, but the biggest issue is that you can't SH consistently. Even when you can, it's much more efficient to do so with X/Y so you can use the control stick to actually... control your character.

Tap jumping is jumping by using the control stick btw. It was weird learning to jump with x and y at first, but after a day or two of practice it's second nature and faaaaaar superior.

-Ghost-

Smash Apprentice
You can't do retreating Fairs, approaching Bairs, and it's really hard to RAR, but the biggest issue is that you can't SH consistently. Even when you can, it's much more efficient to do so with X/Y so you can use the control stick to actually... control your character.

Tap jumping is jumping by using the control stick btw. It was weird learning to jump with x and y at first, but after a day or two of practice it's second nature and faaaaaar superior.
I pull off approaching bairs and retreating fairs just fine with the control stick, and I do SH consistently... Although I'm not sure what RAR is... (Sorry, kind of a "noob" when it comes to all these terms, enlighten me? lol). But I suppose I'll give it a shot, I'm dam good but my Wolf IS a little rusty. Perhaps my habit of using the control stick is where I'm going wrong.

C.S. Dinah

Smash Champion
The only major change I've done to my set-up is setting my GC controller's "R" to grabs. My "z" button buffers another input after I press which is good and at the same time bad.

"R" is way better for me since I can do aerials with that along with glidetossing at the furthest range when neccessary.

Azure Flame

Smash Apprentice
*To lazy to read most of the thread* Why do people bash tap jump. I use it just fine mixed with X/Y, using ONLY X/Y though to jump seemed so effing impossible for me.

Other than normal controls for everyone, I use tilt stick with Ike.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Oh yeah, I thought this would be of interest for people maybe wanted to mess around with it.

It is actually possible to use a TvC (or maybe any Wii-related) fight stick to play Brawl on. I'm not entirely sure of the limitations of it, however... a crewmate of OUGA (he doesn't really travel) has taken to using it pretty exclusively. It's really fun to watch. I'll have to try it myself soon. He doesn't do too badly, either.

TRageB

Smash Rookie
So wait...you shouldn't use tap jump? Like...I don't understand.....I use Classic Controller and X and Y seem a little hard to reach...Sorry.I'm somewhat of a noob cuz I can't play offline and I don't know much about match-ups and technical stuff.......I can't find a good
place to learn about that **** or learn some stuff that I need to know..so yea D:

Fusion_Blastoise

Smash Cadet
So no one uses shake smash? I did a write up on this for another forum... let me locate.

Here it is;

I've recently discovered the joys of having shake smash turned on while using the WiiChuck. Shake smash acts like an extra macro control stick except controlled by physical swipe movements, similar to a c-stick. A shake downwards will preform a d-smash. A shake upwards will preform an Up-Smash. A shake to the side will preform an F-Smash in the direction shaken. It also opperates the same way as a c-stick in the air, that is to say, it does aerials as well. A diagonal swipe will produce a N-air much like a diagonal flick of the c-stick in the air would produce a N-air. Retreating aerials anyone?

The possibilities of this are enormous! For starters, it allows for easy DACUS. Rather then having to set up get rid of your entire d-pad and set it to smashes, you can just flick the wiimote down then up! The timing is strict (so is the timing for a normal DACUS however) but it is still very possible [even for sheik]. It's even easier if you use A to initiate the dash attack rather then Down-shake.

If you use the IC (like me ) it allows you to use all of your smashes without throwing in a grab. A VERY handy aplication for raking up damage in grabs while not making up-smash stale.

The actual shake of the wiimote isn't all that sensitive either. I've found that I've never used an accidental smash by shaking before. That's not to say that preforming a smash is difficult, just that it won't happen accidentally. Also, don't give me this, "It's so hard and physically exhausting moving my wrist half a cm" crap because it's not exhausting at all.

Glide tossing is yet another thing which becomes simple when using shake smash. Roll + directional smash = glide toss. When I play diddy/peach/R.O.B. this becomes very useful.

Shake smash can also be used to smash DI, improving your survivability.

So, all you WiiChuck users TURN ON SHAKE SMASH! The benefits are amazing and you'll fall in love with it in no time. ^_^.

Having said that, I use (and have for quite some time) the GC controller now because my nunchuck stuffed up around Christmas and I'm too cheap to buy a new one.

My old nunchuck config was;

Tap Jump = off
Shake Smash = On
D-Pad up = Up Smash
D-Pad Down = Jump

and default settings for the rest.

On the GC I just have tap jump off.

-Kiros-

Smash Journeyman
Tap Jump off
L Shield
Z Jump
R Special
A Grab
B Attack
C Tilt

Dacus is easy for me lol. Sucks for no Dsmash spam w/MK tho, but I'm pretty fast. I forgot why I switched to this config, but I'm sure there was a good reason.

Edit: orite UpB OoS and better DI

Top Bottom