• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

the CONTROLLER thread! Button Mapping, Controller Type, etc

BOB SAGET!

Smash Lord
so my only gc controller broke and im left wit the wiichuck......i main olimar, what shud be my button configiration?

B.Mack

Smash Ace
I heard from someone that Wiimote and all its variants (WiiChuk, CC, CCPro) are banned at big tourneys like MLG and only Gamecube controllers are allowed... I'd just like to find out if this is actually true? bcos if it is... thats utter bullsh*t.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
I heard from someone that Wiimote and all its variants (WiiChuk, CC, CCPro) are banned at big tourneys like MLG and only Gamecube controllers are allowed... I'd just like to find out if this is actually true? bcos if it is... thats utter bullsh*t.
It's true, and it's to avoid wireless interference. Just somethin they gotta do

B.Mack

Smash Ace
so if someone uses a different controller then they arent allowed to compete? thats like saying you cant compete unless you use Snake or MK. Frankly, I'm outraged by that.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
so if someone uses a different controller then they arent allowed to compete? thats like saying you cant compete unless you use Snake or MK. Frankly, I'm outraged by that.
Think of it this way: how outraged would you be if you're winning a match, someone's wireless controller screws up your game somehow, you have to restart, and you end up losing?

It's just the only fair thing to do. Wireless controllers can screw other people up, sadly - blame Nintendo or wireless technology for not being more advanced

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
If we're talking about crazy control set ups, I thought I'd post mine:

Tap Jump Off
L - Shield
R - Attack
Z - Jump
A - Special
B - Grab
Y&X - Jump
Cstick - Smash

After large amounts of testing, I'm thoroughly convinced that this is both the fastest and most versatile setup, especially with a despringed controller.

Reasoning:
1. All non mutually exclusive options are on separate fingers - That means that any action you want is at your disposal. Jumping with index finger leaves yourself free to special (A), Zair (B), Nair (R), or Aerial (cstick).
2. Pika/Zap/Bungie Jumping made easy - Just a roll of the finger makes the precision needed between jump and special easy. Compared to Jumping with x/y and fspecialing with B, it's a no brainer.
3. Only specials have a "more input is better" function - squall, nado, luigi cyclone all go higher with their characters because you have a bigger button to press.
4. R on for more options - One can charge smashes by hitting the cstick and then hitting the R button shortly after. If one holds the R button down while holding an item, fsmashing becomes possible, which is much harder to do on default.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Foolish sentiment IMO. Why do things a difficult way, if you can use the tools available to you to enable you to do them an easier way?

Build me a house, but do not use a hammer, or you admit to not being a skilled carpenter.

Sliq

Smash Master
Foolish sentiment IMO. Why do things a difficult way, if you can use the tools available to you to enable you to do them an easier way?

Build me a house, but do not use a hammer, or you admit to not being a skilled carpenter.
The PGA have bans on golf clubs because they are deemed to give too much of an advantage. The NBA recently banned a shoe for the same reason. The MLB has a ban on bat corking. Steroids are banned universally.

But I suppose examples from the largest competitive organizations in the world don't hold much water in comparison to a video game.

I can't build a house regardless of how many hammers I have, but I can build you a chair without using a hammer. Also, I won't use any nails, screws, or glue, and it will support 400 pounds. Do I win?

Also, there is a difference between having no skill and having less skill, and those who use the default button layout are more skilled, technically (if they are successful at execution).

PSI.kick

Smash Lord
Getting a banana chucked at my face. WHISTLE!!
I think that rule is quite stupid. if you use the wiimote/nunchuck and you are good with it, but you are bad with the gcn controller, then you can't play your best. The only thing they need to do AND enforce is to have the player take the batteries out in between matches, that way there are no problems.
I realize this could mean a little more work for the TO/whoever, but it would mean better competition and therefore a better tourney.

so my only gc controller broke and im left wit the wiichuck......i main olimar, what shud be my button configiration?
If i'm stuck without my gcn controller i'll use this config
C/Z-grab and shield (whichever you prefer)
down on cpad-jump
b-special
a-attack
up cpad-usmash
side cpad-fsmash
tap jump-whatever you like

kinda weird at first but imo one of the best configs for wiimote/nunchuck

DeLux

The PGA have bans on golf clubs because they are deemed to give too much of an advantage. The NBA recently banned a shoe for the same reason. The MLB has a ban on bat corking. Steroids are banned universally.
While your logic is sound, in my opinion your analogy doesn't follow.

If I follow, your analogy would more accurately describe why Modded/Turbo controllers are banned. Since the game allows for modified control schemes, it's within the realm of access to anyone being able to use a mapped scheme at any time with any controller.

A modded controller or turbo button advantage is not immediately accessible to everyone with any controller and thus is more similar to the steroids and banned equipment.

Sliq

Smash Master
While your logic is sound, in my opinion your analogy doesn't follow.

If I follow, your analogy would more accurately describe why Modded/Turbo controllers are banned. Since the game allows for modified control schemes, it's within the realm of access to anyone being able to use a mapped scheme at any time with any controller.

A modded controller or turbo button advantage is not immediately accessible to everyone with any controller and thus is more similar to the steroids and banned equipment.
You ******* with your boring, emotionless logic. How dare you.

At least my second statement stands. If we consider tech skill a part of skill, then the person who doesn't rely on a crutch clearly has more tech skill. The same thing applies to using a low tier. If you win with a bad character against someone using a good character, you're clearly more talented.

You can call not using custom button layouts handicapping yourself if you want. ****, if someone closed their eyes and won a match, hands down they are more talented.

Tesh

Smash Hero
I think prescription glasses might be overpowered and skill diminishing.

PSI.kick

Smash Lord
Getting a banana chucked at my face. WHISTLE!!
Hey so does anyone know why you randomly jump sometimes if you have c-stick set to attacks? every time i fair then immediately use the c-stick once or twice ill double jump, and it's really anoying. also when i drop my shield then immediately try to utilt. and when I dtilt twice in a row with it.

DeLux

At least my second statement stands. If we consider tech skill a part of skill, then the person who doesn't rely on a crutch clearly has more tech skill. The same thing applies to using a low tier. If you win with a bad character against someone using a good character, you're clearly more talented.

You can call not using custom button layouts handicapping yourself if you want. ****, if someone closed their eyes and won a match, hands down they are more talented.
Haha, I didn't contest your second statement because I totally agree with it. I don't understand how people do certain things on standard controls. I'm bad and can't make my fingers move fast enough.

Sliq

Smash Master
I think prescription glasses might be overpowered and skill diminishing.
Naw, Ken was Melee's best player for a long time, and he didn't wear glasses. I think M2K is the only outlier I see placing well and using glasses.

[COLOR="#1f1f1f1f"]Man, people really love missing the point.[/COLOR]

Flayl

Smash Hero
Hey so does anyone know why you randomly jump sometimes if you have c-stick set to attacks? every time i fair then immediately use the c-stick once or twice ill double jump, and it's really anoying. also when i drop my shield then immediately try to utilt. and when I dtilt twice in a row with it.
I've been having this problem too. What I figure is that if you already have an attack buffered, using the C-stick will make you jump.

Moral of the story is tap the C-stick once and only once.

Flayl

Smash Hero
Just hold up slightly instead of all the way. Do that and press A several times and the attack will come out ASAP.

ScubaF_ingSteve

I eat stickers all the time, dude!
NNID
ScubaSteve94
My controller set-up. Helps me do the little things for my game

L- Jump
Z- Attack
X- Grab
Tap Jump off

L-Jump lets me do cancels, mainly on wolf for F-air
Z-Attack is for DACUS
X-Grab is just faster for me
and I hate Tap Jump

LordAizen

Smash Journeyman
I should've changed the order of the buttons when I started out but I have it on default and I've been playing like that for years so I'm too used to it to try something new even if it's easier.

etecoon

Smash Hero

sorry brawl isn't just about who pushes buttons faster, I think you were looking for this forum

D

Deleted member

L-Jump lets me do cancels, mainly on wolf for F-air
For f-air canceling, I just slide my thumb from Y to A. I have my L button set to special for jump-shining.

Also, haven't seen you around before. You should pop into the Wolf boards more often. :3

Sliq

Smash Master
sorry brawl isn't just about who pushes buttons faster, I think you were looking for this forum
Button mapping doesn't change the number of buttons you push, it changes their location and function. You're argument and attempt at wit is invalid.

Also, who are you again?

etecoon

Smash Hero
specialized controls = more efficient input, if you didn't think that you wouldn't be making this ridiculous argument(well aside from the fact that you're only here to troll to begin with)

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Efficient input? IDK I find it easier to Zap Jump clawing it rather than B-sticking seeing I feel that it's more efficient for me, whereas others have B-sticking much easier.

Now the real deal with moving controls (IMO) is that you can take away the delay from the use of springs in controllers or the subtle timing differences in the c-stick and d-pad.

Sliq

Smash Master
specialized controls = more efficient input, if you didn't think that you wouldn't be making this ridiculous argument(well aside from the fact that you're only here to troll to begin with)
I never claimed it wasn't more efficient, I claimed that it artificially augmented talent and ability. Cars are more efficient that a bicycle in a race, but if someone on a bike beat someone in a car, holy ****, kudos to that guy.

You're a unicorn.

Sliq

Smash Master
I totally respected everything you said in the last few posts and your awesome logic, and then you went and ruined by demeaning your argument by including an insult. :(
What are you talking about?

Rikter

Smash Cadet
Is it considered silly to use different control schemes for different characters ? I notice for Ike I prefer 1 option than I do for every other character I play.

Sliq

Smash Master
No. I have two different control schemes myself.
It's true, Pierce is a robot. There's mode 1 which is "smooth sensual lover" mode, and mode 2 which is "MURDER DEATH DESTROY."

Thank god, I have seen neither of these modes and relied heavily on wikipedia for this knowledge.

Sage JoWii

Smash Champion
NNID
G0J0J0
L-Jump
X-Grab
Tapjump: off

>_>Yay for pursueing people in the air with an extra jump button.
X makes pivot grabbing a lot easier.
Who plays w/ tap jump on?

libertyernie

Smash Ace
Has anyone seen these before?

Looks to me like it's really a GameCube controller with a different button layout. See how - and + are labeled "slow" and "turbo", and Home is actually Start?

Top Bottom