• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

the CONTROLLER thread! Button Mapping, Controller Type, etc

Linkvader

Smash Journeyman
I played some Tastsu, but I forget controls, other than they are a tiny bit like MvC3. I played it with GC controller, and just kept default while I played it.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
That's what I used to do until I saw how cheap the joystick was online compared to the other ones from the same brand and quality. It's $30, as opposed to the $130-$230 ones I see for street fighter. Plus, I can play smash with it ^_^

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
Would modifying someone's controls to have it be all shield be "illegal" at a tournament? I'm not sure how the situation would occur, but it would be funny to see.

DKMikey

Smash Journeyman
What would you guys suggest changing (button layout) if you play with a Wiimote and Nunchuck?
(my parents don't support me playing games, so I can't just go out and get a gamecube controller just for Brawl, but I really want to get better at the game).

Also, if it makes any difference, I main Sheik and Marth.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
I know off the top of my head a lot of the top players that use Wiimote/nunchuck (they are few but they are out there) set the Dpad on the wiimote part to smash attacks.

At which point, I would then set B to attack, for greater ease of charging smashes. A would then have to be your special button.

If your hand is big enough, I would then set both 1/2 to grab, and use the heel of my thumb to hit those buttons.

I can't think of anything useful to map A+B to, so if you can't use 1/2 for grab, I guess that would be your best bet.

That's strictly theory crafting for "best ease of executing basic/advanced techniques"

You probably would be better served though getting a GCN for the extra button to map

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
You almost can't afford to play wiichuk with tap jump off lol

Just off of the same sort of theory I used in the blog that's been linked to above, try:

A: special
B: shield
C: attack
Z: grab
D-pad: smashes

Might take a while to get used to (what with the primary attack button being on the shoulder and all) but you can probably pull off the most ATs with this setup than any other

if you absolutely have to use a button for jump then put c back to jump, z to attack, and grab with either A+B or B>Z

EDIT: just checked with a physical wiimote-nunchuk...this could actually work lol

~PWN~

Smash Cadet
I want a really good controller and can adapt my game play to any type of controller (using GC now) I just don't know the way to go. Should I get GC or CC and if one of those which kind is the best?

Flayl

Smash Hero
The only advantage the gamecube controller has is a better control stick (which to be fair is a pretty big deal). Classic controller pro has better button layout and shoulder buttons (emphasis on the latter). If you're comfortable with the gc controller stick with it, or try out the cc pro one and see if the different control stick gives you trouble with small maneuvers.

~PWN~

Smash Cadet
I am going to try the CC is there any difference between pro and nykos controller in the way they feel? I like nykos look better strangely lol.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Tap jump off, Y = special, B = still special but I don't use it

I turned off tamp jump because when I was starting out, I found that I was never using utilt basically because I would either accidentally jump or have to concentrate to make sure I don't push up too hard. Former also applies uairs and aerial up-B's.

I set Y to special because (again when I was starting out) I found out that TL can SHDA (short-hop double arrow) and, when trying it out, I found it hard to move my thumb quickly from X to B. I then realized that, since I always used X to jump (meaning I never used Y for anything), changing Y to special could only be an advantage because it makes A/X --> immediate special move a WHOLE lot easier. So, I did it and am glad I did. My thumb pretty much never has to move very far unless I'm choosing to use the C-stick, which I would have to do in either case.

I left B as special since I don't even press it anymore, but recently (very rarely but nevertheless) I've been missing the A button and hitting B instead, and as a ZSS main it can make a big difference considering how long her specials last. So I'm going to change B to attack (A) as well.

TL;DR tap jump off to make utilt easier and prevent accidental jumps
Y = special because Y is closer to X (my jump) than B is
B = attack (A) just to make sure I don't accidentally use a special when trying to hit the A button

Seriously, try out X/Y = special. You'll love how convenient it is.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
My controller sticks keep breaking. :/ Really starting to piss me off. Is there some way to fix them?

MK26

Smash Master
well, the forza has a turbo button and thus probably shouldnt be used in tourney

and for the most part people will say trust the original manufacturer of the console (ie nintendo and the original gcc) over a third party

there are some exceptions, but you cant go wrong with the original

FEFIZ

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3325-4003-4948
Yes, I have the both, but I don't know where I buy a new one GCC, I only saw Forza control. I can't use in tourneys?? If I turn the turbo bottom off? Then can I use in tourneys? =X

Napos

Smash Ace
Other CC users, tell me how you have your setups?

I switched my attack and special. B TO A AND A TO B

Y is jump

X is grab.

Tap jump off and the L,R, AND Zs are all shields.:woman:

MK26

Smash Master
My setup: Classic Controller

Tap Jump: off
R-stick: Smash
B: Attack
Y: Special
X: Grab
L: Shield
Zr: Jump

The vast majority of things I need to do are covered by the above. My index fingers naturally rest on L and Zr, and I see that changing jump to a shoulder button isn't all that unpopular. Moving A+B to B+Y emulates the N64/GC controller layouts. X swapped to Grab because there's no better place to put it. It's a slightly roundabout way of doing it, but pressing UP+B+Zr while holding shield gives me Up-B OOS, which isn't possible simply using defaults+tj off.

Zl: Grab
R: Attack
D-pad: Taunts
A: Shield

Zl is an alternate Grab [EDIT: so I can do instant throws and boost grabbing (x + cstick doesnt really work)]. Neither grab position is ideal, but having two sub-optimal positions is better than just one. R for attack allows me to DACUS by holding the L-stick sideways (run), smashing down on the R-stick (dash attack), and rolling the L-stick up while pressing R (Up-Smash). It's definitely much harder with the defaults, if not impossible. [EDIT: A can be anything but taunt, and is now shield, because the only time i ever touch this button is when mashing out of grabs.] I have no love for that button.
Here's one possibility

as a cc user, I highly recommend setting b to attack, y to special, x to grab, and zr to jump

HariKyuubi

Smash Journeyman
Well, here's an interesting thing I'm not sure people would know:

Would GC controller cord extenders cause any lag/etc. in Brawl? I mean, it IS a wire, so it's probably fine, but... On the other hand, one wonders if it makes the input have to travel and be read from cord to cord, causing lag like the Wavebird does. My bet's on no, but I can't say for certain.

KatanaK7

Smash Rookie
All you people discussing all kinds of tactical lay-outs etc, and I don't even have a GC-controller yet. D:
Was too poor in the past (still am, imo, but who isn't in their opinion?) to buy a GC. Luckily, a friend of mine has 2 and never plays on his Wii, so I guess he'll let me have one :D Too bad, he's on a holiday trip and comes back 1 day after I leave on mine =(

Tesh

Smash Hero
Is there a list of every possible controller that can be used to play Brawl? I mean basically all wii or gamecube accessories.

FEFIZ

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3325-4003-4948
Who is better? Nunchuk Wii Control ou Classic Wii Control? I know GameCube Control is the best and I only use it but Nunchuk ou Classic in second position?

Pippy

Smash Apprentice
I'm using a wireless gamecube controller. Wireless controllers don't have any drawbacks, right?

ScareMl

Smash Journeyman
i had a quick question regarding the wii-mote nunchuk set-up. I have my d-pad set to C-stick (up=up smash, side=forward smash, etc.) and changed my grab to C for regular grabs and Z+A for shield grabs. I have shake-smash off but need tap-jump cuz i main marth and tap-jump allows me to up-b OoS a lot quicker. Is this the best set-up or is there a more effective one for a marth main?

MK26

Smash Master
it might be difficult to get used to at first but swapping a and b is better in the long run...a is used in combination with the cstick much more often than b is, so putting a and cstick on different fingers is probably a good idea. fewer long finger movements means that performing some actions (say, buffering an ftilt after fair) take less time and can be pulled off more consistently.

on the other hand, this might not be necessary if the hardest techs youre doing are DACUS/DACIT, which can be done by rolling your finger from cstick down to the a button.

Akaku94

Smash Journeyman
I use a CC Pro w/ tap jump off, x or y (I don't remember which) set to grab, L to jump, ZL to attack, and other than that, normal... any changes you think I should make?

:kirby:

Napos

Smash Ace
Classic Controller pro right here.

Tap jump is off and I switched around the special and attack button.

since Y is set to jump a have B for attack and A for specials.

My X button is set to grab and so is my ZL

This is great for dacuses.

juiey2

Smash Cadet
gamecube controller douts

So i got my gamecube controller finnaly.
And i play with the tap jump on.
i do aerial moves with the C-Stick to don't have problems with uair because i play luigi
I also play with the C-Stick with the Tilt command.
Is this going to prejudice my gameplay?

Joppe

Smash Rookie
Hey, I used a wii controller for like 3 years. But since i saw some random comments on youtube that said that a GC is better. Is it a wise idea to still switch between controllers? Because I've been trying it, but it's harder then I thought. Just want to make sure that I'm not wasting my time time:)

Ghostbone

Smash Master
By wii controller do you mean just the wii controller, the wii controller + nunchuck, or the classic controller?
Unless you're using the classic controller, then yes it's definitely a good idea to try to switch over to the gamecube controller.
The gamecube controller has the c-stick, which is very important for spacing and for many techniques.

Joppe

Smash Rookie
By wii controller do you mean just the wii controller, the wii controller + nunchuck, or the classic controller?
Unless you're using the classic controller, then yes it's definitely a good idea to try to switch over to the gamecube controller.
The gamecube controller has the c-stick, which is very important for spacing and for many techniques.
Thanks for replying! I ment the wii controller + nunchuck. But I've been trying this with a gamecube controller and is it better to use air attacks with the C stick? because Y is along way from the C stick and I can't get it as fast as I did with my wii remote. And what kind of setting do you use for your controller, because everyone says different things and I can't seem to find the right one.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Thanks for replying! I ment the wii controller + nunchuck. But I've been trying this with a gamecube controller and is it better to use air attacks with the C stick? because Y is along way from the C stick and I can't get it as fast as I did with my wii remote. And what kind of setting do you use for your controller, because everyone says different things and I can't seem to find the right one.
As you get used to the gamecube controller you'll be able to move between Y and the C-stick more quickly. You can also try setting L or R to jump (since you only need one shield button) if you want. You don't always have to use the c-stick to aerial, using A is fine a lot of the time anyway, the c-stick helps when you're trying to move a different direction to the aerial.

Yea everybody uses different settings, my settings are weird >.>
I've got R as attack, Z as jump and X as grab (tap jump off)

What character do you play? I'd suggest finding out their ATs (advanced techniques) and figuring out what controls allows you to perform them with greater consistency.

Top Bottom