• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

the CONTROLLER thread! Button Mapping, Controller Type, etc

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
Has anyone seen these before?

Looks to me like it's really a GameCube controller with a different button layout. See how - and + are labeled "slow" and "turbo", and Home is actually Start?
Oh, yeah, thats an unofficial CC...i think it having turbo disqualifies it from tourneys

======

My setup: Classic Controller

Tap Jump: off
R-stick: Smash
B: Attack
Y: Special
X: Grab
L: Shield
Zr: Jump

The vast majority of things I need to do are covered by the above. My index fingers naturally rest on L and Zr, and I see that changing jump to a shoulder button isn't all that unpopular. Moving A+B to B+Y emulates the N64/GC controller layouts. X swapped to Grab because there's no better place to put it. It's a slightly roundabout way of doing it, but pressing UP+B+Zr while holding shield gives me Up-B OOS, which isn't possible simply using defaults+tj off.

Zl: Grab
R: Attack
D-pad: Taunts
A: Shield

Zl is an alternate Grab [EDIT: so I can do instant throws and boost grabbing (x + cstick doesnt really work)]. Neither grab position is ideal, but having two sub-optimal positions is better than just one. R for attack allows me to DACUS by holding the L-stick sideways (run), smashing down on the R-stick (dash attack), and rolling the L-stick up while pressing R (Up-Smash). It's definitely much harder with the defaults, if not impossible. [EDIT: A can be anything but taunt, and is now shield, because the only time i ever touch this button is when mashing out of grabs.] I have no love for that button.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Would swapping in a cstick mold in place of the normal control stick warrant a ban?

I recently injured my thumb playing basketball, and the shorter stick is easier for me to maneuver than the regular control stick. I would think it wouldn't warrant banning because that would mean there would have to be a ban on 3rd party (non turbo) controllers with a different control stick mold than a nintendo one. Just curious what people think on this topic because I don't want to get bounced from a tourney if the public opinion is it's a bannable offense.

skekasaurus

Smash Cadet
I'm a pikachu main, so I try to utilize his speed with my attacks, thus I have a unique button layout:

L&R: Shield
Y: Grab (Rarely use this, but its handy when I need it)
X: Attack
B: Special (I hardly ever touch this button)
A: Jump
C-Stick: Special
With Tap Jump OFF!

I also like to second Link&Toon link, when I play with these characters I use the default control scheme.

Sliq

Smash Master
I'm a pikachu main, so I try to utilize his speed with my attacks, thus I have a unique button layout:

L&R: Shield
Y: Grab (Rarely use this, but its handy when I need it)
X: Attack
B: Special (I hardly ever touch this button)
A: Jump
C-Stick: Special
With Tap Jump OFF!

I also like to second Link&Toon link, when I play with these characters I use the default control scheme.
Do you also aim for the horn?

GALE 14

Smash Journeyman
L = jump ( R = dogde,shield etc. )
X = grab ( just for fun ^^ )
tab jump: ON ( why not ? ^^ )

Uffe

Smash Hero
Controller settings to default.

A = Neutral/Tilt/Smash
B = Special
C = Smash DI and pivot smashes only
X = Jump
Y = Useless
Z = Practically usless
R = Shield/Dodge/ + A to grab
L = Useless
Tap Jump = On (Why suddenly turn it off when it's on in earlier games?)

AuraStUrm

Smash Journeyman
@(Lux):
2. Players may not use a controller that has been modified in such a way that it alters their Character’s abilities and/or in-game mechanics. Players may not use a controller that has been modified to include a Turbo button. Players are allowed to make cosmetic changes to their controller, however, Major League Gaming reserves the right to deny the use of any controller suspected of providing an unfair competitive advantage. (Note Removing Springs is legal as it does not provide an unfair competitive advantage)
All stick replacement really does is alter the shape and feel of the analog stick. It doesn't really change the way the game is controlled or provide any distinctly unfair advantages, so I'm pretty sure you'd be fine. MLG allows spring removal, anyway, so I don't see why they would ban stick replacement.

Flayl

Smash Hero
Anbody know of any wii games or features which allow you to see directly which way you're holding the control stick?

If you know how to check on a joystick's settings on windows, that's the sort of thing I'm talking about.

I'm having a very hard time adapting to the classic controller pro because the control stick is in a slightly different position than the gamecube's control stick =/

ItoI6

Smash Journeyman
I don't know why this happens or if its already documented but if you buffer a dsmash at the end of an auto canceled aerial it turns into a dtilt. I don't really know why, but maybe someone has an application for this..?

B.Mack

Smash Ace
just popping in to say that Classic Controller Pro >all.

having two buttons on each shoulder is just TOO good.

webshooter

Smash Rookie
Are classic controllers worth getting? My gamecube controllers broke and I don't feel like getting any new ones. Alternatively, Would those cheap gamestop gamecube controllers significantly change my gameplay? On a tight budget here.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
I don't know why this happens or if its already documented but if you buffer a dsmash at the end of an auto canceled aerial it turns into a dtilt. I don't really know why, but maybe someone has an application for this..?
It does? REALLY?!?!?!? Now I've gotta do this more with ness. dtilt is sOOOO good.

MK26

Smash Master
Are classic controllers worth getting? My gamecube controllers broke and I don't feel like getting any new ones. Alternatively, Would those cheap gamestop gamecube controllers significantly change my gameplay? On a tight budget here.
yes, classic controllers are worth getting. it's definitely not difficult to transition from the gc to the cc, even if you've been playing smash since melee. The one thing i recommend all cc converts to do is change special from b to y and attack from a to b (and i guess jump from y to a?), to emulate the gc/n64 controller map. I've met people who went from "i cant play with the cc, my moves are coming out wrong, my fingers are betraying me" to "sweet, the cc is awesome" with just that simple change.

i've got no clue about the gamestop gc's, however

FIREL

Smash Ace
Wiimote + Nunchuk

Tap Jump: On
A: Attack
B: Special
C-stick: Move
D-pad: Jump (useful for short hops + u-air or Thunder Storming with Ganondorf)
C: Grab
Z: Sheild
A+B: Grab
1+2: Taunts

Eskay

Smash Cadet
So the DDR mat and the DK bongos are Brawlable. Yes, I made that word up.

TIME TO ROCK OUT WITH A GUITAR HERO GUITAR! :awesome:

If at all possible, of course.

And on a different matter, I use the GCC, and I don't use Y. Any suggestions on what to use it as?

EDIT: Dang, GH controller doesn't work. Was there a GC Guitar Hero game?

Arrows

Smash Journeyman
R=Special
X=jump
Y=Special
A=Grab
Z=Attack

All d pad are set to shield/grab so I can mash out of grabs faster/make sure I don't air release if I want to.

Ugg

Smash Champion
I found a lack of information and feedback on the Classic Controller Pro before I purchased it, so I feel like me sharing my opinion on it might be helpful to those who are wondering.

I've been playing with the Gamecube Controller since GC release days, including Melee and Brawl on releases up until recent. I've used Wiichuck, nintendo brand GC, Gamespot GCs and the CC Pro.

I definitely don't recommend Gamespot GCs. They're faulty, the control sticks are iffy, and they break easily.

Gamecube Controllers of the Nintendo brand are awesome, as you all know. Definitely the controller-of-choice.

However, recently I ran out of good GCs. Since nintendo brand mint GCs are hard to come by without forking out major coin or searching until the ends of the earth, I went out and bought myself a CC Pro. I must say, I'm not disappointed.

The transition from GC to CC Pro wasn't hard at all, took a day at the most for me to be comfortable with it (given, I play Xbox 360 and the controller is very similar to that.)

Just so you guys know, if for whatever reason you can't use a GC controller anymore, don't buy a Gamespot one. Try a CC Pro.

MK26

Smash Master
ugg, have you changed the control scheme at all? one thing i recommend to all players regardless of which smash games theyve played is changing special to y, attack to b, and jump to a, which more closely emulates both the gc and n64 button layouts

Pandu!

Smash Cadet
I've heard of dedede mains turning off tap jump and mapping jump to L.
Seems like it could be useful to anyone; no tap jump means you wont be jumping out of shield directly into a nado by accident while trying to aim your shield up, but you'll also be able to jump and dair at the same time. Plus, it *almost* feels like using tap jump.
...I would never do that, but it might be good food for thought.

AKC12

Smash Journeyman
Tap Jump Off
L: Jump
R: Shield
Z: Jump
Y: Special
X: Jump
A: Attack
B: Grab

Before grab stayed at Z and I really didn't use B, but I had trouble short hopping with L, so I decided to add another jump button. I typically use L to perform out of shield up smashes and up specials. And jumping with Z helps with auto canceling attacks and more easily do aerials with no movement or going backwards while doing a forward air.

I always used X to jump so I moved special to B. With Z replacing grab, the B button is all that's left for it.

Now I'm thinking of replacing the jump function on the L button to attack, so I can dacus more easily

Jamage

Smash Ace
NNID
Jamage007
3DS FC
5412-9923-5145
Switch FC
1787 8077 0889
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv8WZPgPkFA

Close enough :) this was a real tourney with like 10 entrants rofl
LOL that was amazing. My bro played timesplitters 2 with a guitar hero controller and actually beat someone on a real controller lol.

I'd love to see something silly like that as a side tourney. Wacky controller tourneys where the wackier your controller is, the better the characters you can pick (like GCN controllers are Ganon only, Wiimotes are F tier, and MK is DK bongo exclusive or something lol).
Lol thats me on the left. I ran that tournament and a few years back ran a Crazy controller comp for melee that used, DK bongo's, PS2 lightgun (using adapter), ddr mats, resident evil 4 chainsaw controller and a steering wheel.

Should do it agin with brawl as there are even more controller options.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
Got a question: What benefit does Marth have to B-stick? Or is there close to none?

Digital Limit

Smash Cadet
I use Classic Controller Pro. The Shield/Grab configuration is reversed, Y is special, B is attack, A is jump, Tilts for Right Stick, Tap Jump off, ZR is Jump.

Tilt stick is useful for non-fastfall dairs, and helps me buffer FTilt and DTilt out of Gerudo better. Random jumping was annoying initially until I realized what causes it and that it wasn't random.

Irritating thing about Classic Controller Pro is that I can never compete in MLG events, as I don't like the layout of the entire right side of the gamecube controller.

~Supreme Dirt
I know this is an old post and I haven't read recent posts, but is the CCP still banned at professional events?

Rizk18

Smash Lord
I use Wiimote sideways:) Been using it since Brawl came out, and yes it's harder to use if you didn't start using it from the beginning, but I got used to it. However, having no C-stick, being able to SH>U-air, and no DACUS, makes it make me want to switch to GCC. But it's going to take me a long time to master my movements on it, where as the Wiimote sideways, I have almost completely mastered except for curving attacks such as the Spacies Up-B and Pikachu QAC. But i'm getting there.

SuperEnigmation

Smash Rookie
I use the Classic Controller.
Button Configuration:
A - normal
B - special
X - jump
Y - special
L and R - shield
Zr - grab
Tap jump: off. I hate tap jumps. I NEVER use the WiiMote or WiiMote + Nunchuk.

:phone:

Flayl

Smash Hero
Anybody know how to lower the sensitivity of the classic controller (pro) sticks?

MK26

Smash Master
^ i wish you could do that sooooo much

Shield Platform Drop-through, as the lab calls it, is a ***** to do with the sensitivity on those things
as are non-fastfalled dairs
cant we just legalize the use of the cstick dair doesnt cause fastfalls code in tourney?

Schtizzel

Smash Cadet
Yesterday I looked around Smashboards and found a thread about button mapping which sould help you perform AT's better. It was a pretty good thread.
And now I can't find it anymore. I looked around all forums but nothing. Can someone help me finding it?

It contains changing L for shield, X/Y for grab, R for attack and Z for something I can't remerber.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Is there anyway to get a DDR Pad's arrow buttons to map to the analogue stick instead of the DPad? I'd like to input direction rather than input taunts :\

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
Yesterday I looked around Smashboards and found a thread about button mapping which sould help you perform AT's better. It was a pretty good thread.
And now I can't find it anymore. I looked around all forums but nothing. Can someone help me finding it?

It contains changing L for shield, X/Y for grab, R for attack and Z for something I can't remerber.
L is set to shield by default.

:phone:

MK26

Smash Master

That was a blog of mine lol
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=303074
z is jump if you dont use tap jump

glad you like it :D

Top Bottom