• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

the CONTROLLER thread! Button Mapping, Controller Type, etc

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Alright, so I was like, instead of having lots of threads talking about different generic button mappings, and WiiMote vs GameCube come up once a month, I figured I'd give you all a sticky to discuss your little hearts out. Anything that seems like it's useful information to the public will be added to the OP. Threads that don't have some really awesome reason to exist, but deal with this topic will probably get merged into it.

Both tactical questions/suggestions/etc AND quirky knowedge/etc will be permitted here. However, please remember that this is the TACTICAL board, and I don't expect a lot of spam to ensue.

Obviously this thread is kinda new at the moment, so if you have any contributions to add, especially to the sections below, please feel free.

FAQs:

Useful Links:

Fun Facts:

In addition to the normal 4 controller methods (Gamecube, WiiMote, WiiMote + Nunchuck, and Classic) you can also use other Gamecube controller substitutes to control Brawl, including the DDR Mat, and the DK Bongos.

Outstanding Questions:

Is the fight stick that came with Tatsunoko vs. Capcom at all compatible with Brawl?

Dnyce

Smash Master
I main random in Brawl, and I realized the other day that I never use X, Y or the C-Stick.

What should I remap them too, as something that will suit the most character's playstyles?
Mapping your controller is either personal preference or character specific. Since you lack the latter just go with whatever feels right.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
You never use X or Y?
How on earth do you jump? Surely not Tap Jump D:

If you're comfortable with not using the C Stick (although I find it helps a lot for insta smashes and better spacing of aerials) for your attacks, maybe you could try B Sticking. Some characters get a few nifty tricks that are much much easier to perform when B Sticking. You lose Smash DI iirc if you use B Sticking though so you may not want to do that

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
How do you not use your c-stick? Tap jump, I can somewhat understand; it's still not the best idea for all times, but I can at least forgive that part. But you don't use the c-stick? Once I discovered what it does I never turned back lol, smashes the traditional way are too risky in moments that require quick reactions. You really ought to push yourself to use it more often, you'll be very glad that you did.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
I can use anyone in Brawl, and it isn't something I play often, so I just use the random button instead of having a main. Anyway, the other day I realized that I never use X, Y or the C-Stick as anyone (Maybe the stick for a few people but...)

What should I remap them too? I need something that will suit the most character's playstyles as a controller config.

You are lying.

Or, you haven't said that you do normally remap a trigger button to jump.

Because there is NO WAY that you play this game at a level that can beat even level 8 CPUs if you're tap jumping AND manually inputting aerials with the same control stick.

Of course, you do main random...

NEVERTHELESS,

You could put C-stick on Special, for B-sticking stuff. In the event a MOTHER boy comes up.
You can put X or Y on... basically anything you'd want to slide into A or B. I use one of these for Grab. It's just better for me to have a padface Grab and a triggerside Grab.

Finally, since you're using a trigger button for jump, the last thing you should do is map Y or X ... also to Attack. Same as A. This enables you to use some Link bomb techniques, although you'll have to claw, or... fatigue your thumb really fast. I recommend Y because then you can reach over to B faster if you want a Whirling Blade or something.

However, in putting C-stick on Special, you make yourself unable to do an instant Dash Attack, and some character's DACUS or Up smash cancelled Dash attack (e.g, Sheik, who can only do it with a very specific config).. Falco gets slightly weaker, Snake you can probably work around, but Link and I think Wolf will get tougher.

There's only one tech with B-sticking you can't do manually, and it is most likely useless, so actually, put it on Smash.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
How do you not use your c-stick? Tap jump, I can somewhat understand; it's still not the best idea for all times, but I can at least forgive that part. But you don't use the c-stick? Once I discovered what it does I never turned back lol, smashes the traditional way are too risky in moments that require quick reactions. You really ought to push yourself to use it more often, you'll be very glad that you did.
I don't see the point of C-Stick, I can do fast smashes just by doing >A really fast, and I prefer to have control over when I release them. I do use C-Stick for some combos such as G&W's Dthrow > Dsmash, but I was wondering if there is something better I could do it with.

You interest me... Surely you don't use tap jump,
I've tried to use X & Y, several times. And it just feels so weird to me, I need to jump and control the direction of the jump with two separate buttons, and I can utilt, short hop and wavedash fine with tap jump so I felt no need to replace it.

You never use X or Y?
How on earth do you jump? Surely not Tap Jump D:

If you're comfortable with not using the C Stick (although I find it helps a lot for insta smashes and better spacing of aerials) for your attacks, maybe you could try B Sticking. Some characters get a few nifty tricks that are much much easier to perform when B Sticking. You lose Smash DI iirc if you use B Sticking though so you may not want to do that
B-Stick sounds good, I'll try it out. See above for why I use tap jump.

You are lying.

Or, you haven't said that you do normally remap a trigger button to jump.

Because there is NO WAY that you play this game at a level that can beat even level 8 CPUs if you're tap jumping AND manually inputting aerials with the same control stick.

Of course, you do main random...

NEVERTHELESS,

You could put C-stick on Special, for B-sticking stuff. In the event a MOTHER boy comes up.
You can put X or Y on... basically anything you'd want to slide into A or B. I use one of these for Grab. It's just better for me to have a padface Grab and a triggerside Grab.

Finally, since you're using a trigger button for jump, the last thing you should do is map Y or X ... also to Attack. Same as A. This enables you to use some Link bomb techniques, although you'll have to claw, or... fatigue your thumb really fast. I recommend Y because then you can reach over to B faster if you want a Whirling Blade or something.

However, in putting C-stick on Special, you make yourself unable to do an instant Dash Attack, and some character's DACUS or Up smash cancelled Dash attack (e.g, Sheik, who can only do it with a very specific config).. Falco gets slightly weaker, Snake you can probably work around, but Link and I think Wolf will get tougher.

There's only one tech with B-sticking you can't do manually, and it is most likely useless, so actually, put it on Smash.
Actually... That's a good idea. I'll try mapping jump to L and see if that improves my game. Again with the B-Stick, I'll try it out. And yes, I do use Tap Jump, I can easily beat Level 9s (But that isn't really a good way to determine skill... >_>, don't know why you mentioned it) and I go to tournaments and win doing it.

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
The main benefit of using C-stick for smash (what it's normally set to) is that you can do an Aerial and control your aerial DI with the control stick at the same time. If you use A for aerials you can't do this, so that negatively affects your spacing. Most notably though, if you don't use C-stick you can't do things like short hop backwards and F-air as well as you should. Not using C-stick also means you can't do things like glide toss or DACUS. And if you use the control stick + a for a forward smash attack, you risk getting tripped. If you do a forward smash using the c-stick, you can't trip.

Zeroxius

Smash Lord
The main benefit of using C-stick for smash (what it's normally set to) is that you can do an Aerial and control your aerial DI with the control stick at the same time. If you use A for aerials you can't do this, so that negatively affects your spacing. Most notably though, if you don't use C-stick you can't do things like short hop backwards and F-air as well as you should. Not using C-stick also means you can't do things like glide toss or DACUS. And if you use the control stick + a for a forward smash attack, you risk getting tripped. If you do a forward smash using the c-stick, you can't trip.
Yes. The main reason that the C stick is indispensable is because you can use an aerial while making your character travel in a certain direction. Such as Marth short hopping to do a fair, then retreating with another fair while going backwards.

It also helps a lot when you want to auto cancel aerials, such as Ganondorf's thunder stomping. You have to short hop and dair really fast to have the move cancel the animation so there is no lag. I've tried it without using the C stick. Jumping a short hop is hard enough for me without tap jump, and moving the control stick downwards and pressing A is even harder.

Compare that to simply tapping up on the control stick and down on the C stick at almost the same time. Easy as cake!

Tap jump is also used for higher level techniques. Characters like Marth and Wario use short hops for some of their best moves. Compare the time it takes to initiate the fair of Marth out of a short hop to a full hop. Not only does it give your opponent a hell of a longer time to react to you and punish, but you also have to airdodge. Now, you COULD have short hopped with fair, then retreated back to where you started with another fair safely.

In my humble opinion, tap jump and the C stick are almost necessary for high level gameplay.

Personally, I have tap jump ON and my C stick set to SMASHES. I also have my R button set to jump also. With Pikachu, I use the C stick for all of my aerials and smashes unless charged. I have the R button on jump because it's easier for me to full hop and thunder jolt so I have no lag when I land. I have tap on because I just learned that way because I used to play melee (I was a scrub). I'm just used to it, but I have gradually gotten used to using X for all of my jumps, save for when I jump out of QAC.

Also, I didn't know using the C stick protects you from tripping in a smash! Interesting facts to know! :bee:

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Why is tap jump such a bad idea?
For most characters it's not a bad idea per se; I'm not familiar with any that receive major problems from it. It only becomes bad when it is used by itself. The best setup is either tap jump off or tap jump on used in conjunction with a jump button. I use the latter, and it works great for me. For example, being able to jump and dair at the same time is quite useful sometimes, and wouldn't be possible if I didn't have tap jump on.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Does anyone in here use multiple controller settings depending on which character they use???
I b-stick with Peach and tilt-stick with Ivysaur.

It's not terribly confusing, but it takes a couple matches for me to comprehend the switch.

AMKalmar

Smash Ace
Just saying, I have the best control scheme in the world: z jump, y grab, b stick. You could use your L jump I suppose.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
It's actually pretty weird, soon after posting this thread, "Jump" on my control stick stopped working (which is weird because utilt, usmash, uair, etc... still work) and my C-Stick stopped working. So I remapped Jump to L and have been without a C-Stick.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
This is incorrect.

You can glidetoss and DACUS without the use of a c-stick.
Sheik can't.

If you can, please take your methods to the Sheik boards. They'd worship you.

Enlighten me, a bit off topic but oh well.
As Ness, enter an air jump, and at the same time, B-stick in reverse while holding forward. You will get a PK Fire Jump... and move backwards as far as you initially move forwards.

No one has done this without B-sticking.

Does anyone in here use multiple controller settings depending on which character they use???
I do.
If I ever seriously used Lucas, I'd have three schemes I rely on.

Tap jump on is bad all else being equal simply because of SDI. If you SDI (or even DI) and waste an air jump, that can mean death.

EKO_Fury

Smash Rookie
I use TL and I use z jump so i can still attack and jump at the same time while still not worrying about tap jump. y is grab. x is special. It works really well.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
L as jump, attack stick, tap jump off. L makes double jumping much easier. Attack stick is good for my character.

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
Tap jump on is super important for characters that need to Usmash and UpB out of shield (lol luigi). Unless there are ways to do it that I'm unaware of. I don't see why people have issues with tap jump, I can't fathom how it could screw you up in any way =/

MityMouse

Smash Rookie
I have jump set to the L button and Y set to grab. 2 reasons for this:
1) Tap Jump is the devil's doing and i will do anything to avoid it.
2) I hate the Z button and find my finger a little sluggish when reaching it.

Juri

Smash Cadet
Playing Brawl with a Fightstick?

I've recently been training with my own modded Fightstick since I play SSFIV aswell as Brawl.

Although I haven't tried this yet, it seems like it'd be a waste of time in a way as the Smash Bros is one of those games that are very good to have a controller with.

But how would playing Smash Bros with a Fightstick be like?
I mean there isn't a real severity for combos and such like Street Fighter with ultimate 1 frame links and tons of buttons but just curious.

I may try this out for fun if there is some 360 to Wii adaptor, your thoughts?

PS: I've also made this thread cause i've never seen anyone use a Stick with Brawl or any smash game yet.

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
Impossible. You need 2 methods of directional input (in this case 2 analogs) to play effectively. I've thought about this before too.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
That idea is as bad as using a WiiMote: It just doesn't allow you to propperly control certain things, like airbone attacks or some minimal-duration smash attacks.

But would be really hilarous, tho.

Juri

Smash Cadet
It doesn't seem that bad because check this out.

I mean this is just a setup I thought of but, there are still 3 more buttons that can be used, or customized but this is just a general idea.

I don't really see the issue with aerial because most people who use fightsticks use a 8 directional gate.

And if you're using a button for jumping, not that big of a issue.

I'm sure those who are used to playing with a stick could pull this off.

*EDIT* It may not be the greatest thing but it seems like it'd be fun lol.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Only aerial attack problem I found is with the retreating ones.
With just one stick you can't input two directions at once. It just screws some styles of playing Brawl.

But then again, seems ridiculously fun to play with.

Browny

Smash Hater
Ive seen people play brawl using DDR mats and DK bongos... so im sure this is possible :p I know at least a ps2>GC converter exists so if you found a stick compatible with the ps2 it should work.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
I want to see someone show up with a drum set. But like Kyokoro said, you could not perform retreating aerials without a cstick. Don't you also need a cstick to DACUS? Snake mains, where u at

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
BTW, If you use a stick (in my experience at least), you don't get to move, because the stick is set to the Dpad rather than the analogue stick, so you would just taunt rather tham move.

Juri

Smash Cadet
BTW, If you use a stick (in my experience at least), you don't get to move, because the stick is set to the Dpad rather than the analogue stick, so you would just taunt rather tham move.
All fightsticks now have a switch that lets you choose Dpad, Rightstick or Leftstick.

Top Bottom