• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

the CONTROLLER thread! Button Mapping, Controller Type, etc

Kole

Smash Lord
wtf this post wasn't showing when I refreshed...

disregard this

Kole

Smash Lord
It was discovered in the past. I can't find the thread, but I recall it being named C-Bouncing and many of the Lucas players (myself included) switched to it.

Kole

Smash Lord
Never really tried Down B...

I can do it fairly consistently I guess... about 9 times out of 10

Tokaio

Smash Journeyman
It's called C-Bouncing. HailCrest gives a good description of it in the link. I don't really use this configuration though. Considering you have to be frame perfect when you input the buttons, it's hard to do it consistently.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I use Classic Controller Pro. The Shield/Grab configuration is reversed, Y is special, B is attack, A is jump, Tilts for Right Stick, Tap Jump off, ZR is Jump.

Tilt stick is useful for non-fastfall dairs, and helps me buffer FTilt and DTilt out of Gerudo better. Random jumping was annoying initially until I realized what causes it and that it wasn't random.

Irritating thing about Classic Controller Pro is that I can never compete in MLG events, as I don't like the layout of the entire right side of the gamecube controller.

~Supreme Dirt

Jams.

+15 Attack
NNID
DumberChild
Hey, quick question.
Which characters are the best to play with a wiimote + nunchuck?
My GC controller is at a friend's, so I now have to use this controller, and I want to know which characters lose the least amount of ATs or whatever. Thanks!

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
I see absolutely no reason to believe that the Cstick wasn't intended to be used for the purposes which it is used.

However, I will note, that the Cstick in Brawl is simple a macro to execute the same function as pressing A and a direction on the same frame (assuming default controls)

Hey, quick question.
Which characters are the best to play with a wiimote + nunchuck?
My GC controller is at a friend's, so I now have to use this controller, and I want to know which characters lose the least amount of ATs or whatever. Thanks!
What's wrong with your main character?

In the end, it doesn't really matter. You're probably better off just playing a comfortable character.

RESET Vao

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RESET_Imp
I once had A set to jump and C-stick to grab. Some weird Bowser thing set to feel like a Mario game.

Just now, I only have tap jump turned off, to enable DACUS.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Pierce, you're a mod?! :o

If someone would add a c-stick where your thumb would be if you layed out your four fingers on an arcade stick, it would be the perfect controller, imho. I use default controls, GCN controller, no vibration.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Yeah, I figure I might be able to tolerate contributing to Tactical more if I could just immediately deal with garbage right away. To me, it's like trying to enjoy a walk in the park, and not being able to pick up the trash, but instead having to report it, and wait for some sanitation worker to get around to it. Frustrating as hell.

Enough off topic though, I play with L to attack (barely use it though) x to shield (sometimes use it).

Tap on or off depends on the character.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Ye. B+C = E. TL;DR last paragraph.

I have two control schemes, one has a b-stick for my Lucas shenanigans, the other has a c-stick for optimal aerial control so my Ganon can win. B-stick vs c-stick has always been a dilemma for me as a Lucas player (bounces vs aerials and SDI). And the other way of bouncing with a c-stick is really hard to do consistently.

While fooling around on Green Greens with Ike just now, with my c-stick configuration, I got blowed up and was sent flying to the right. I decided to press side-b towards the stage so that I could quickly get back to business. What I actually did was press the left analog partially left, press the b button, and at the same time, touch the c-stick to the right. Ike shot off to the right and died. What I did there was not a wave-bounce but I realized you could direct specials with a c-stick. Dilemma solved maybe.

Now, with L, R, or Z set to specials and stick to smashes, I input the following: right > jump > c-left + special. Special overrides smash > left analog overrides right analog > crap pants bounce. You have to press the c-stick a bit earlier than the special button because it only registers after you push it so far (just like a bounced zap-jump). Hoping this isn't already common knowledge so that I don't look silly. If I just invented this for real, you have to call this technique the e-stick.
wtf this post wasn't showing when I refreshed...

disregard this
It was discovered in the past. I can't find the thread, but I recall it being named C-Bouncing and many of the Lucas players (myself included) switched to it.
Can you do it consistently? Down-b as well?
Never really tried Down B...

I can do it fairly consistently I guess... about 9 times out of 10
It's called C-Bouncing. HailCrest gives a good description of it in the link. I don't really use this configuration though. Considering you have to be frame perfect when you input the buttons, it's hard to do it consistently.

The reason for this is because the Cstick (when set to smashes) merely functions as a joystick input and an attack input at the same time. If you just started a special, the "attack" command gets ignored because you cannot execute an attack in the middle of a special, but the joystick function still applies.

PractiseCactus

Smash Rookie
Wow, I think I'd prefer the "classic" classic controller though. However, are classics banned from MLG?

Reizilla

Controllers that send out wireless signals are banned from MLG, hence Wiimotes, hence classic controllers and nunchucks.

BadKarma

Smash Journeyman
sooo I never use the L trigger so I was thinking about setting it to jump instead of using the Y button like normal. I know how using L to jump has its advantages like having more time to move your thumb around on the buttons when doing aerials and stuff like that but does anybody know of any disadvantages that would make it more difficult to use?

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Smash boards has been glitchy lately.

Anyway, I don't know how comfortable you'd be using jump with L. The only major disadvantage beside personal comfort would be the fact that a trigger takes longer to press, but that doesn't really stop people from blocking, so . . .

no major disadvantages.

BadKarma

Smash Journeyman
So far it works very well for my d3 I just use the L jump and the c stick for aireals but very difficult for my ics

Thanks for the advice 7d

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
If you use L jump, if all you use the GCN controller is for brawl, I'd recommend taking the springs out of your controller.

Obv not if you still want to use it for Melee or Super Mario Sunshine, etc, though.

culexus・wau

Purchased premium only to change name ><
Cutting the springs is also an option.

You can choose how much resistance you want and still be able to play other GCN games if you have enough rings. [3-4 rings still makes me light shield in melee <<]

Jar'd

Smash Ace
Yeah, I'm surprised there hasn't been any talk of controller modding in this thread.

My GCN controller has no springs, no rumble, and a nunchuck stick. No springs is pretty obvious and well known, no rumble just makes my controller lighter and I don't have to worry about turning off rumble, and nunchuck stick, besides feeling better to me, gives an extremely small increase in range of motion, which I guess is a plus.

Reizilla

People who use classic controllers are referred to as the master race. But you can't use it at MLG.

Teh Future

Smash Master
sorry if this has been covered. I hear you can remove the rumble function from your controller.....

howohowhohwohwowhowhow..

?

culexus・wau

Purchased premium only to change name ><
Has anyone tried playing smash with a PS2 Controller via a converter?

just wondering if it'd work, out of curiosity.

Browny

Smash Hater
^Yes, ive seen it done. one of the players here refused to use any other controller (ikdk if he still does)

Dakpo

Smash Lord
Hey my z button is useless to me , what should I change it to . I use X for jump and Y to grab with tap jump off . Note that I main zss and luigi . Any suggestions for my z ?

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Hey my z button is useless to me , what should I change it to . I use X for jump and Y to grab with tap jump off . Note that I main zss and luigi . Any suggestions for my z ?
I can't think of anything for Luigi, but if you really want to use it for something as ZSS you could set it to attack. If you hold the button when you pick up a suit piece you'd be able to throw the piece and performs a smash at the same time. You charge the smash til you release the button iirc. Also works with other items (bananas, Mr. Saturn, etc.) Not sure how useful it'd be, but you seem to have everything else necessary covered.

MRbloke1

Smash Rookie
^Yes, ive seen it done. one of the players here refused to use any other controller (ikdk if he still does)
thats seems like a good idea for a setup, if its allowed as well as someone else said.
if theres a controller thats good for fighting games thats not a stick or pad, its gotta be a dualshock

Geddan

Smash Ace
considering they use plug in converters, yeah what someone said earlier, would it be MLG legal to use a ps2 controller?

and do you think there will be 3rd party, wired, classic controller pros in the future?

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
considering they use plug in converters, yeah what someone said earlier, would it be MLG legal to use a ps2 controller?

and do you think there will be 3rd party, wired, classic controller pros in the future?
As for the generic classic controller, i'm sure there will be :) And you should post in the Oli boards more! I miss you D:

Godzilla140

Smash Rookie
whats DI iirc

whats DI iirc and at the tornament someone was talking about how it is better to use a gamecube than a nun chuck because of the fact that you have 2 joysticks instead of one what do they mean ?

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Oh boy. Well, iirc = if I remember correctly, it's just a common term. DI = directional influence and refers to how you can affect your character's movement during hitstun with the joysticks. (There is a thread that explains this in depth somewhere, search for it if you like.) The gamecube (GC) controller has one stick for movement and another for smashes and aerials, allowing greater ease of play and also enabling some advanced techniques.

Top Bottom