• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Best Players.....again

Afro_Ninja

Smash Apprentice
You guys can believe it or not I guess. I'm not gonna argue with anyone but I figure I'll show those who will listen this information just in case.
I suppose I can't argue with that. it's a dangerous tactic though, if mango decides to make a "comeback" at the wrong time.

my comment wasn't just toward mango though, it's something I've always seen in the past. Back in the day if Isai so much as got comboed then he was sandbagging.

actually my comments aren't so much toward the players themselves, or even the players like you who have played AGAINST them. they're toward the incessant fanboys who will do nothing but spout praise and blind defense for whatever pro they think is top.

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
The 'sandbagging' comment has always bugged me. I refuse to believe that any pros ever "sandbag" in a tournament. What possible reason is there for it? If they supposedly didn't care about winning the tournament they wouldn't have entered in the first place. They only stand to gain from winning a tournament. It's the simplest logic I can come up with.

The only exception to this I see is intentionally picking a bad character.

But if someone loses it's not because they felt like hiding their true power, it's because they
were not playing good that day
were outplayed by their opponent
had momentum shift in or out of their favor at the wrong times
made a mistake (gasp)
haven't been practicing
etc. etc. etc.

Sandbagging is what you do when you either 1) play someone at a much lower skill level who doesn't even realize you're sand bagging or 2) want to be a complete **** and humiliate them
you refuse to believe it, so it can't be true? not sure why you are trying to rationalize it anyway. whether you understand why someone might sandbag isn't relevant to whether they actually do

Afro_Ninja

Smash Apprentice
you refuse to believe it, so it can't be true? not sure why you are trying to rationalize it anyway. whether you understand why someone might sandbag isn't relevant to whether they actually do
of course it can be true, it just seems unlikely.

maybe I'm 100% wrong, maybe mango and players of similar status simply exist on a plane far above anyone else's and they choose to dabble in ours from time to time

I'm just saying I'd love to hear it from the players themselves, or as mentioned in my last post, someone who has actually played them. I just don't want to hear it from the remaining 99.9%

strawhats

Smash Master
idk if ill ever be the best anymore, i literally only play this game like once every 2-3 months (I use smashboards a lot though). I went to rom3 with a borrowed controller without having played since like australia (very little in australia). I don't play enough to be a contender for that anymore.

i think mango's the best cuz of personal experience at his house and playing him many times at different tournaments in friendlies. His max skill is higher than that of anyone else I've seen and he's able to keep it up for many matches in a row at many events that I've played him at.

I beat his fox about 50/50 with my fox/marth/sheik each, but his falco I cannot beat majority with any character (altho marth and sometimes sheik is only like 60:40 for his favor of matches sometimes he can just massacre me badly some games randomly). He also uses a wide variety of characters very well. He should stop that marth stuff though he's only using marth cuz I told him marth sucks and he's trying to prove me wrong because that's how he is but I honestly think marth's just overrated (still top tier though but barely). He never uses jiggs in friendlies vs me. Sometimes we can 3 stock each other but he does it to me more than vice versa

everyone knows who the best players are nowadays arguing number 2 outside of mango is mostly who's the best or least rusty at that point in time imo which could be a number of people at any specific time.

i havent improved since pound4 at all honestly (I don't play anymore, I just talk about the game and randomly attend events occasionally), if anything i got worse since i used to have a **** controller and don't have one anymore
the fact that you can still take games off of mango when he's semi trying is amazing, especially since you really don't play this game anymore. I can see why mango thinks your second best lol. (on a super good robot day);)

Fågelholken

Smash Apprentice
The whole community didn't treat Mango right during his reign, that is true. But almost everyone has come around. People appreciate every time he tries now, and applaude him when he does well. (Except some, but there will always be haters, no matter what) Most people are outright sad when he loses. Because they know there could be so much more.
I think the community has learn't it's lesson and is ready for Mango to come back, if he'd have it.

I miss the days where I could watch a tournament and just hope that someone might prove a challenge, take him down. You always knew that he was on top, but maybe this time, someone would pull through. That's what got me into smash really. Sure I was rooting against him most of the time, but it wasn't anything personal, it was just competition. And it got better and better, with players like Armada almost beating him, and Hungrybox constantly improving. And there are new threats like Dr PeePee, who we haven't really seen fight him in a serious tournament set. But it just doesn't feel right now. Wish he'd go out with a bang, not a whimper.

But that is his problem, I know. Just saying that if it'd do any difference to him, I, no, the whole community, would love and appreciate if he'd come back, get his heart into the game again, and just start ******. Sure I'd probably root against him if he'd crush everyone again, but that's kinda the beauty of the whole thing. The one on top will always have to go down, it's a constant struggle. But it seems like no one is at top atm, and it doesn't feel right. We all know someone should be there, we all know who that person is...

Beat!

Smash Master
The whole community didn't treat Mango right during his reign, that is true. But almost everyone has come around. People appreciate every time he tries now, and applaude him when he does well. (Except some, but there will always be haters, no matter what) Most people are outright sad when he loses. Because they know there could be so much more.
I think the community has learn't it's lesson and is ready for Mango to come back, if he'd have it.

I miss the days where I could watch a tournament and just hope that someone might prove a challenge, take him down. You always knew that he was on top, but maybe this time, someone would pull through. That's what got me into smash really. Sure I was rooting against him most of the time, but it wasn't anything personal, it was just competition. And it got better and better, with players like Armada almost beating him, and Hungrybox constantly improving. And there are new threats like Dr PeePee, who we haven't really seen fight him in a serious tournament set. But it just doesn't feel right now. Wish he'd go out with a bang, not a whimper.

But that is his problem, I know. Just saying that if it'd do any difference to him, I, no, the whole community, would love and appreciate if he'd come back, get his heart into the game again, and just start ******. Sure I'd probably root against him if he'd crush everyone again, but that's kinda the beauty of the whole thing. The one on top will always have to go down, it's a constant struggle. But it seems like no one is at top atm, and it doesn't feel right. We all know someone should be there, we all know who that person is...
So much this.

makoforce

Smash Ace
I suppose I can't argue with that. it's a dangerous tactic though, if mango decides to make a "comeback" at the wrong time.

my comment wasn't just toward mango though, it's something I've always seen in the past. ---->Back in the day if Isai so much as got comboed then he was sandbagging.<-----------

actually my comments aren't so much toward the players themselves, or even the players like you who have played AGAINST them. they're toward the incessant fanboys who will do nothing but spout praise and blind defense for whatever pro they think is top.
look where the arrows are. I hate that people think that Isai never tries. Isai wasnt the best get it out of your head. He never was.

Sidenote: I dont really care if mango's the best or not M2K is still my favorite <3. Ok and even if mango is the best who cares but honestly I think AR maybe better. I mean tourney wise AR has won every European tourney he's been to in like the last 2 or 3 years maybe.

strawhats

Smash Master
Fly Amanita defeated M2K. Discuss.
Im sorry but I just don't see the significance here...I actually expected m2k to lose to either fly or zhu...he played very pedestrian. Fly deserves the win of course and all the credit, but I wouldn't get too excited over fly beating m2k. Not to mention m2k got uber ****ed up by PP.

No johns for m2k, he probably shouldn't have entered melee singles especially since he said he had controller and switching between melee/brawl johns.

m2k is still a top 5/6 player in the world on his good days. Top 2/3 when he's playing amazing. Fly on the other hand...this guy is dangerous, watch out wobbles he might take your spot for best ICs

btw...fly beat hbox is he better than juan?

strawhats

Smash Master
Fly Amanita defeated M2K. Discuss.
Im sorry but I just don't see the significance here...I actually expected m2k to lose to either fly or zhu...he played like he hadn't played melee in months lol. Fly deserves the win of course and all the credit, but I wouldn't get too excited over fly beating m2k.

No johns for m2k, he probably shouldn't have entered melee singles especially since he said he had controller and switching between melee/brawl johns.

btw...fly beat hbox is he better than juan?

fly also beat zhu

PP beat mango in falco dittos in GFs (MANGO LOST first 2 games with falcon then switched won the the next 2 with falco and in a super close match game 5 pp pulled off the win) mango came out of losers.
lol sorry for the double post.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i dont care if fly is better or worse than anyone

he's beating top players with ice climbers

and for that IM ****ING PROUD OF YOU FLY!!!!!!!!!!!! ♥♥♥s forever

showin me it can be done!

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Maybe M2k is getting washed up. Any vids of this? I couldn't even find a results thread.
Sorry the uploaders couldnt get the vids posted fast enough. The tourney should be uploaded in full within 24 hrs imo. Its only been 18 so they still got a lil time....I hope they dont let me down.

I did however catch Mango v PP in winners on livestream. Oh lol, somehow ur name came up...idk who tho. U seem to be pretty famous round these parts.*
For bein a ****in *******!*

DAS

Smash Ace
NNID
DAS1989
I like that more people are doing very well. It gives more hope for new players.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I already know what kind of talk is going on, but I'm gonna set some things straight to keep my blood pressure down before I read:

Mango tried games 1 and 2 in WFs. I believe he partially sandbagged in game 3 and then totally goofed off last 2 in WFs.

I could tell and Mango himself told me he tried all of GFs.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
I already know what kind of talk is going on, but I'm gonna set some things straight to keep my blood pressure down before I read:

Mango tried games 1 and 2 in WFs. I believe he partially sandbagged in game 3 and then totally goofed off last 2 in WFs.

What was the score, and MUs for GF? Didnt get to see cuz the stream cut out lol.

Merkuri

Smash Lord

And I laugh at the idiots who said that Magno was clearly and without a doubt the best player. :laugh:

HugS™

Smash Lord
Mango tried in GF's, but a trying Mango Falcon isn't enough to beat PP, at least not at WGF.

He chose Falco because I asked him to do so as a type of Birthday favor for me, he didn't want to, I made him.

Unfortunately, Mango was already down 2 games after losing both with Falcon. He tied the set up after 2 convincing wins with his Falco, but PP managed to win the last game in a close match that ended in PP spiking Mango.

ShieldBash

Smash Rookie
Mango tried in GF's, but a trying Mango Falcon isn't enough to beat PP, at least not at WGF.

He chose Falco because I asked him to do so as a type of Birthday favor for me, he didn't want to, I made him.

Unfortunately, Mango was already down 2 games after losing both with Falcon. He tied the set up after 2 convincing wins with his Falco, but PP managed to win the last game in a close match that ended in PP spiking Mango.
Yeah i remember sitting right behind you guys . Hahaha

Top Bottom