• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - MLG Anaheim 2014 So now that we know MLG hosts ridiculous smash tournaments...

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMKalmar

Smash Ace
I only read a few pages of this, but it seems like the solution to the stage striking problem would be to remove the classification of starter or counter and just have players strike from all legal stages. The obvious problem with this idea is that it would take a long time for the set to start.

Bloodcross

Smash Champion
Woooooooooooooooo
I'm gonna **** somebody
I hope you die of AIDS
I hope you die of AIDS

Woooooooooooooooo
I'm gonna **** somebody
Do you wanna blow me? Yeah!
Well I got herpes

solecalibur

Smash Master
Rofl Ectecoon calling me obnoxious but he isn't?

.....I haven't laughed that hard in awhile

I'm telling people to do is grow up and play the stage more then just once and learn how the stage works and what to do in one situation and learn the mechanics, but people are still complaining about things that are not even a problem if they read up a bit on there stages

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ dis omg play da **** stage and learn the tricks

obvi you cannot play it just once and be done with it

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Picto is a very good Diddy stage. After SV/FD/BF it is probably tied with PS1 as Diddy's next best option.

Also stop the spam posts, warning will ensue.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I only read a few pages of this, but it seems like the solution to the stage striking problem would be to remove the classification of starter or counter and just have players strike from all legal stages. The obvious problem with this idea is that it would take a long time for the set to start.
This is assuming we have a balanced number of stages for each matchup.

If Diddy has 5 good stages and Meta Knight has 20, it doesn't really matter. They both get one starter they strike to and then their own CP. So, an equal and one advantage for each.

If we striked from all available stages, characters like MK would get a counterpick to start off on; this would be unfair.

Flayl

Smash Hero
If we striked from all available stages, characters like MK would get a counterpick to start off on; this would be unfair.
I'm glad you (specially you) can at least see this, I was worried the idea to abolish the starter stage pool was going to go unopposed.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
A better idea is to just strike until three stages are left and play the set on those stages. I'm not sure which one would be first and second, but I'm sure that's easy enough to figure out.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
A better idea is to just strike until three stages are left and play the set on those stages. I'm not sure which one would be first and second, but I'm sure that's easy enough to figure out.
Okay, now MK has three counterpicks. I don't think that helps.

sunshade

Smash Ace

If Diddy has 5 good stages and Meta Knight has 20, it doesn't really matter. They both get one starter they strike to and then their own CP. So, an equal and one advantage for each.

It would not be a counterpick it would be the stage which provides the average(medium) of bias in the match-up.

If Metaknight ends up on a stage helping him more than his opponent than that is an indication that Metaknight is a better, more adaptable character.

In either case he wont be ending up on stages like Rainbow cruise, Norfair or Brinstar. He will be ending up on stages like lylat, pokemon stadium, and some times delfino.

AMKalmar

Smash Ace

You wouldn't end up with a counter-pick stage, you'd end up with the average of all the stages in that match-up. In your mind, this stage gives one character an unfair advantage in the match-up. In reality, that character simply has the advantage. What you're trying to do is balance a match-up that is skewed. Taking the average stage would allow the first game in the set to accurately represent the match-up. The characters in this game are extremely unbalanced and so are the stages. I think we try too hard to make it more balanced instead of improving our ability to overcome the imbalance.

edit: sorta ninja'd... I just didn't read that far down the page.

On a side note, I think doing this would allow us to more accurately determine match-up ratios between characters. [And the tier list but the match-ups are what matter]

Overswarm

is laughing at you
This is not the case.

You are under the assumption that all stages are created equally. This is not the case.

Flayl

Smash Hero
It would not be a counterpick it would be the stage which provides the average(medium) of bias in the match-up.

If Metaknight ends up on a stage helping him more than his opponent than that is an indication that Metaknight is a better, more adaptable character.

In either case he wont be ending up on stages like Rainbow cruise, Norfair or Brinstar. He will be ending up on stages like lylat, pokemon stadium, and some times delfino.
Delfino is amazing for MK, lylat and PS can be depending on the matchup.

AMKalmar

Smash Ace
You mean median. (lul punz)

You are under the assumption that all stages are created equally. This is not the case.
I rephrased my post before I noticed you replied, I have a tendency to edit a lot. I state there that the stage list is not balanced, I know this. By average I meant median.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I rephrased my post before I noticed you replied, I have a tendency to edit a lot. I state there that the stage list is not balanced, I know this. By average I meant median. There isn't a way to choose the mean stage; you can't add them all up and divide by the number of stages.
I'm not sure what your point is. The idea is to have a fair starter stage for the first match, then allow players to have their skewed stages for the CPs. Saying "the stage is fine, it is just the matchup is in player X's favor!" is not an argument, its a misunderstanding of why we use stage striking.

AMKalmar

Smash Ace
I'm not sure what your point is. The idea is to have a fair starter stage for the first match, then allow players to have their skewed stages for the CPs. Saying "the stage is fine, it is just the matchup is in player X's favor!" is not an argument, its a misunderstanding of why we use stage striking.
Sorry for my poor organization in writing. I often throw all my ideas out there without clearly saying what I mean.

Fair
I cannot think of a method for selecting the first stage for a match between any two characters in this game that will result in the game being fair every time. The game is simply not that balanced. I've read people say that the current starter system is unfair because characters like Ice Climbers are looking at a list of their best stages. Is that fair? Does a stage even exist that will make the match-up between Ganondorf and Ice Climbers fair? Fair as in, "free from bias," "neither excellent nor poor" for either character. Fair is something this game is not. I would rather the first game in a match be accurate to the match-up than fair.

That's just my opinion.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
"fair" is determined by results. If you can get consistent results that are not skewed, it is fair. We can get this with a 9 starter stage list.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Can you give me a situation where results would be skewed?
Metaknight wins 87% of the time vs. Jigglypuff from multiple matches we record. He does this on Brinstar. Looking at matches on Final Destination, Smashville, and other stages that are less dynamic, we can see that the win ratio is similar. The results are not skewed.

Metaknight wins 72% of the time vs. Diddy on Rainbow Cruise. Looking at matches on other stages we can see this win % is skewed. It isn't a stage where two people of equal skill will get close games / go back adn forth.

Na mean? Na mean? Dog?

AMKalmar

Smash Ace
Okay, so you are saying the first game in a match between any two characters, the stage should accurately reflect the matchup based on real tournament results. I agree with this and I see that my previous idea about selecting the median stage of all legal stages would not achieve this result. But I can't imagine that the current starter system would achieve this for every match-up either.

-Ran

Smash Master
If you include all legal stages, this is what happpens...
Good for Diddy Kong
FD
Smashville
PS1
Pictochat

Better or Neutral for MK
Battlefield
Castle Siege
Delfino Plaza
Halberd
Lylat Cruise
Yoshi’s Island
Brinstar
Frigate Orpheon
Green Greens
Norfair
Pokémon Stadium 2
Rainbow Cruise

There's no median stage in that.

-Ran

Smash Master
I've always thought that it would be neutral vs MK, since he tends to operate better with platforms than Diddy.

AMKalmar

Smash Ace
I changed my mind again but I'm not even going to bother.

Changing the subject but I don't want to make a new topic with no point, and I want to hear what you have to say about it. Theoretical ruleset:
What if we took some inspiration from tennis? Tennis tournaments have been around a lot longer than smash tournaments and tennis is the man. This would probably take too long for large tournaments though.
To win a set, you must win at least 2 games (more in finals) and must have won 2 more games than your opponent. Players alternate who chooses the stage instead of loser's pick.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I changed my mind again but I'm not even going to bother.

Changing the subject but I don't want to make a new topic with no point, and I want to hear what you have to say about it. Theoretical ruleset:
What if we took some inspiration from tennis? Tennis tournaments have been around a lot longer than smash tournaments and tennis is the man. This would probably take too long for large tournaments though.
To win a set, you must win at least 2 games (more in finals) and must have won 2 more games than your opponent. Players alternate who chooses the stage instead of loser's pick.
I honestly think tournaments should be anywhere from 4-12 rounds depending on attendnace of course round robin cut to top 8 or top 4 again depending on attendance then top 8 play. Pay outs to top 4 or top 2 again depending on attendance. Of course the people with the best record after the amount of rounds would be top 4 or 8.

Damage Points

Smash Ace
I actsully enjoy fighting MK quit a bit with wario and I've recently gotten into using MK in tourney sets. He's quite fun to use. Do not ban him.

D

Deleted member

Now I don't know much about brawl at all (I barely play), BUT I read through the whole thing, and I've gotta say that I think ADHD is right on this one.

As I said, I don't really have any stake in this, but I think a stagelist which promotes diversity of characters is absolutely essential for any smash game. So optimally, a stagelist which helps to reduce the overpoweredness (not a word) of MK, WITHOUT putting in ridiculous stages is good. I think we can all agree that a common goal for all smash players is to play a game where the quality of the player, not the quality of the character is what's important. Without hacking the game, the only way to really do this is to change the stagelist to balance things out.

The argument from people against him is shifting. At first, people were saying that those who are playing Diddy, Falco and ICs should play more "flexible" characters to accomodate for the fact that the stagelist doesn't favour them. Once people started to point out the flexible characters meant MK/Snake, the argument from those opposed to changing the list seems to have changed to "this is actually the list which benefits those other characters the most." The fact that the argument changed like this seems to imply some kind of bias which is clouding people's judgement.

With that said, I really don't know which statelist is more balanced (worse for MK), the EC stagelist or the MLG stagelist. Is there an objective answer to this?

With regards to the TVs, obviously minimizing the lag is best. For those who are saying that the 1-2 frames of lag has no effect, even if that IS true (which I doubt), it still has a VERY strong psychological impact on those who do believe that it is affecting their game. With that in mind, if getting lagless TVs was an option for MLG, I'm sure they would get them (they aren't dumb). There's obviously some reason why they aren't able to do it.

This is an entertaining thread, I love it!!! (Although midway through, the EastCoast-MidWest flaming was pretty stupid)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom