• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash vs Traditional Fighters

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
Make sure you don't accidentally smuggle a copy of mk9 there. Lol

:phone:
The laws are not actually that tight, I've already seen it heaps at our monthly events here in Melbourne and I've not heard of anyone actually being charged for anything yet.

Walt

Smash Ace
Here is what I recommend. If you don't know anything about other fighters, don't be all pissy when other communities don't know anything about smash. Other games have both different skill sets and similar skill sets. All you need to know is that both smash and traditional 2d fighters are not easy to be good at, be glad that you get to enjoy one of them.

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
High-low mixup strings are an essential part of your classic 2D fighters, but they are a weird kind of depth. If anything, I'd actually compare them to DI in Smash - it's basically knowing what direction to hold to stop your opponent's combos. SC4, to me, was just ridiculous because of how much you had to know just to play the game casually, and it's not obvious at all on some moves which are high, mid, and low.

I'm not a fan of blockstrings as a game mechanic, and I actually prefer Smash's system. There can be such a thing as too much depth, and in this case, I think blockstrings overcomplicate the amount of game knowledge you need to have to compete effectively. It's too much memorization, though 2D fighters can sometimes be easier the 3D fighters to operate on reaction time. Yes, with DI you have to memorize somewhat, but most of the time you can just instinctually pull off something close to optimal, and it accomplishes the dual purpose of keeping you in control of your character throughout combos. Smash's shield accomplishes it's purpose extremely well in initiating yomi games between the two players without overcomplicating the dynamic, and you can still poke around the edges of the shield as it shrinks with low moves occasionally.

I played SF2 pretty heavily, inlcuding online when it came out, though I only went to one tournament (I'm 30, in case anyone isn't aware that I'm old). It is probably still my second favorite fighting game to Melee.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Not an expert by any means but Raynex plays a lot of traditional fighters and probably the biggest complaint or criticism I hear from him regarding Melee in comparison to other fighters is that Melee's mechanics are prone to inconsistency.

I'm not entirely sure what specific examples could be referenced or what the corresponding traditional fighter examples would be needed to augment this claim but that's just what I hear. When he talks, I generally get the impression that with smash there's a billion little situational factors that influence how things work out (move staling matters sometimes!) and things are more cut & dry in a traditional game but I'm not sure on this so don't chew me out if I'm wrong.

Walt

Smash Ace
The very small situational differences that change very large factors are getting more common in fighting games. I know in SFIV that Sakura has 9 different spots that are safe jump-ins that vary based on opposing character height, and has none vs Sagat because he's too tall.

The inconsistent mechanic that bothers some people is phantoms. Which are really stupid and I understand not wanting to play a game where sometimes because of small intricate details regarding things of remarkably minute factors causing your attack to just not work despite hitting. And phantoms happen too often despite how little these details are.

CloneHat

Smash Champion
Phantoms aren't a result of strange circumstances, they just mean you're too far away to hit.

Weird stuff would be things like the ICG.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
the awkward thing about phantoms in melee is that they do damage (which is normally associated with the attack hitting obviously) but not knockback (which implies that the attack missed)

so i guess that counts as an inconsistency
Notice that phantom hits only do half damage though. What does that mean hmm? I have no idea lol.

Dimitris

Smash Ace
What about numbers, anyone has a view on community sizes between the different games? I mean people actually attending tournaments.

Dimitris

Smash Ace
Yeah, but EVO is a couple of different games at one tournament, right? I mean compared to individual games..

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
I wish Smashboards somehow linked with shoryuken.com :(
That would be the greatest thing ever.

I've been playin SF4 lately. It's actually reallllly deep.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
The inconsistent mechanic that bothers some people is phantoms. Which are really stupid and I understand not wanting to play a game where sometimes because of small intricate details regarding things of remarkably minute factors causing your attack to just not work despite hitting. And phantoms happen too often despite how little these details are.
Phantom hits are actually very consistent.

A phantom hit happens when a hitbox comes in tangent with a hurtbox.

Though, the developers could've just made that count as a hit and have it function normally <_<.

Jonas

Smash Champion
It feels inconsistent because nobody is able to do phantom hits consistently, and nobody is able to prevent phantom hits consistently. Seriously, phantom hits are bulls***.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
I wish Smashboards somehow linked with shoryuken.com :(
That would be the greatest thing ever.

I've been playin SF4 lately. It's actually reallllly deep.
This would definitely not work man. Most of the posters at Shoryuken have a great hatred towards smash and it's community. And you can't really change their minds about it either. Also as this topic has shown, a lot of smash players don't know crap about other fighting games. And some, like me, don't really care to.

For those of you guys making such a big deal about phantom hits, get over it. I've had a few matches where I lost because I tipper phantom'd my opponent at high percentage and then got killed. Then again, I've won a few matches that way. I've even been phantom rest'd on my last stock before and won because of it. Phantoms are nothing more than a minor annoyance and if you're trying to make them out to be anything more than that you're just kidding yourself.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
Consider it missing and getting a small bonus for getting close. Now is it so bad?

AmigoOne

Smash Journeyman
Im pretty sure I've encountered phantom hits plenty of times, but anyone wanna give me a solid definition? Is it just those times where you get hit by opponent even though your not supposed to?

Also, the only real way for smash to become accepted is for the members of the smash community to become recognized members of the traditional FG community. If you become good at their game, then they'll listen. Smash members gotta do the work because they're the newcomers, it sucks but thats how it works.

Walt

Smash Ace
Eh, maybe. Melee is a hard *** game, I know a ton of 2d FG players who say melee to too hard to learn or have given up. Which is understandable with how much experience is required to actually play.

MasterShake

Smash Lord
Im pretty sure I've encountered phantom hits plenty of times, but anyone wanna give me a solid definition? Is it just those times where you get hit by opponent even though your not supposed to?
As far as I know, it's when your attack hitbox is tangent to the opponents hurtbox.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Srk is made for SF (well, capcom fighters) so not really. GG and BB go to dustloop, mk goes to TYM, Tekken goes to this site I can't remember, meltyblood goes to meltybread, etc etc.

:phone:

Walt

Smash Ace
Cool thing my friend from the DVC Rec Room did, or Raymond/YaR1030 if anyone knows him: Got challenged to win 100 KOF matches in a row online without losing a single round and the person who challenged him to do it would buy him a PS3. He did it and right in time cause his 360 broke like 2 weeks later.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
lol @ the illusion of a "rift between the communities"

The kids you see posting hating on smash on SRK aren't known players. ****, most of them don't go to tournaments. They sit in their room, browse forums, and talk ****. There are similar posters here on Smashboards. None of that chatter means anything, don't let it get to you. If you put us all in a room, I guarantee we'll get along. They are nice people, and we are nice people (go to a tournament for either game and you'll see that). I'd know, my roommate is the best SFIV and Marvel player in my region...

The only unfortunate side effect of the chatter is that it has prevented their games being featured in our tournaments and vice-versa. And thats a shame. So take that as inspiration and don't be one of those loud-mouth, no-knowledge kids...don't feel like you need to impress SRK or something, but at least don't contribute to the idiocy.

VGmasta

Smash Lord
I think melee takes more tech skill than alot of the other fighting games. Mostly because of the damm control sticks on the gmaecube controllers.

Before SSBM came along, I only used the D-pads for the other fighting games: Soul Calibur, Battle Arena Toshinden, Tekken, Def Jam Vendetta, Mortal Kombat, Virtua Fighter.

Well I like UMK3.... so yeah. Kabal is easymode.
And Noob Saibot cheats in UMK3.

Top Bottom