• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash vs Traditional Fighters

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
The thing is, you're completely wrong and you have no idea what you're talking about. If they hated us so much why were we at EVO for so long? Why is smash on the front page of SRK when ever something big happens in the community? Why is the biggest insult I've heard to smash for SRK "it isn't a FG"?

You almost never see someone out right say smash is a terrible game. I've have seen where ignorant SRK members say smash isn't hard (but they're most likely talking about Brawl so w.e, can't argue that). Plus, the only community that ever says **** about smash is the capcom community. Not MK, not SNK, not doujins, just them. And again, the most they say is "Smash isn't a FG".

So stop acting like the entire FG scene is just bullying the smash community and we are the victim.

Hell, you don't even know the reason old school players hate smashers. But it's not because of smash I can tell you that much.
In my experience, the disrespect comes from all around. Meh. We've experienced different things. As far as EVO and SRK go, professionalism and money come too much into play, it doesn't exactly show community respect.

My point still stands even if it's just against the Capcom fighters. Obviously, our rational efforts to get them to respect our game aren't working. So do everything in reciprocity. If they're not going to respect us, then we shouldn't respect them. If they're going to bash our game, then I'll bash theirs back. Don't be civil in the face of their incivility. It's stupid, and even more pointless than being stupid back. Atleast returning their *******ry to them severs all inkilings of a desire for acceptance from them.

And hey, since you know (or claim to know) so much, why exactly do old school players hate smash?

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
I think you're overthinking it. I at least tend to say Melee is deeper because it's deeper. :grin:

Nah, honestly though, I've been really getting into MvC3 recently and that game is really fun nd has a lot going on. Now I know it's not considered the ultimate 2D fighter or whatever but the more I learn about it, the more I appreciate Melee for being that much better.
... MvC3 sucks...

Sorry Brightside, I know you're probably going to blow me up for saying that but God I hate that random *** game...

And hey, since you know (or claim to know) so much, why exactly do old school players hate smash?
Old school players hate us because of a grudge. Back in the early days of Melee we had the youngest players of all of the FG communitys, there are storys of how us young, naive smashers ****ed up the venue, left trash everywhere, and how we were loud and disrespectful. I honestly have no idea what they're talking about and I used to argue with them constantly, but then again I wasn't there back in the day so how would I know. They hated us for this so maybe it did happen, but it's not a reason to hate us NOW. Most melee players are grown for the most part. If they're young it doesn't matter since everyone around them is older. Now the Brawl community on the other hand has had their **** ups and make us look just as bad as we did back in the day.

BTW, other smash communities see us as one community. I ****ing hate being paired with Brawl but that's what happens.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
Oh hey look here an SRK post about an article on tiers! Now why on Earth is the preview picture a Mewtwo? What's that? The article mentions Smash?!? Why look at that it does! I bet those comments are aflame with people tearing the Smash community apart!!! What's that? People are actually being open to Smash as a competitive game?!?

Once again: the "conflict" between the two communities comes from the fact that people on this site like to blow a couple of troll comments from SRK randoms out of proportion and post ignorant comments like Mura's in retaliation in turn making us all look bad.
There's a lot of Smash disrespect in the comments. There'd probably be more if this were a solely-smash article. Hell, even SRK posters expect SRK hate. The "couple" of troll comments are as evident as the "couple" respectful ones. And even still, a lot of smash haters just ignore smash related stuff. You have no grounds for saying that either is in the minority. I stand by my reasoning.

Signia

Smash Lord
However, despite how uninformed I am about other fighters, despite how inexperienced I am with the top levels of Melee, despite how much of an ******* it makes me look, I'd be willing to risk my testicles by saying that Melee is a deepest fighting game out there.
somebody fetch a pair of clippers

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
It's not insecure so much as completely unfounded.

Though it goes both ways.

/shrug

edit: Welp, ninja'd. :bee:
GET WRECKED, LYTHIUM.

Twists, I'm putting yo *** on blast for dissing Marvel 3. Didn't you know? You don't question it (you are defeated!).

/Yipes

XD Really, though, it's ultimately an exercise in futility if neither side yields to their sensibilities.

Smooth Criminal

P.S. I love MvC3. :troll:

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Man, I am always getting wrecked, and that is why I am SO SALTY.

Plus, I can only play fetish fighting games.

Gee gee gee baby baby baby.

I don't like Marvel either.

/dealwithit.gif

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Just go on and play your game instead of making baseless statements. Ignorants smashers piss me of MORE than ignorant FG player. Why? Because you guys give them ****ing reasons to bash us. If you don't play anything other than Melee, don't say that your game is the "deepest". We all know it's deep, but the deepest? How the **** would you know? If you do have knowledge other FGs past the scrub stage, say what you want, build a good arguement.
I really agree with this (along with everything else Etwist has pretty much said). It's amusing that when some random supposedly says that Smash has no depth, most random Smashers retort with "It's the deepest fighter there is".

I also don't like when Smashers compare Melee with only the newest fighters when they're trying to explain depth.
The newest fighter isn't always the best representation of a series. Smashers should know this.
... MvC3 sucks...

Sorry Brightside, I know you're probably going to blow me up for saying that but God I hate that random *** game...
Another thing I agree with. I like the game, but competitively it's just really random.
At least tone down XF and not make the majority of BnBs one touch kills.

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
Yes it was first throw wins, but they were incredibly slow at adapting; tokido caught on to justin's read on the beginning air throw and started countering by doing an immediate ground grab. This caught justin THREE different times, and justin didn't bother adapting to it at all. If your opponent's going to fall for the same trick over and over, then I'd keep doing it too >_>

That whole sequence could have easily been avoided, but both players forced it into that situation. Note the matches where they were more willing to back off to avoid such a "random" start. Its like in mvc2 when at the beginning occasionally two magnetos will back off rather than walk forward immediately; its a sort of respect for the opponent's skill, and wanting a good clean match, rather than it boiling down to something silly.

/rantstupidtheirfaultforlettingthegameturnintothis

Random =/= high variance, justin wong wouldn't be getting top 2 at everything ever for mvc3 if it was "random"

Brightside6382

Smash Lord
... MvC3 sucks...

lol I don't really care. To be honest I don't even like SF4 and MvC3 as much as their older counter-parts but it's the only games that people play so I don't have much of a choice. At least they are fun.

Djent

Smash Champion
Lol, thanks for the explanation Druggedfox. I wasn't seriously upset about it happening, though - just poking fun. It's young in the game yet to be worrying about such gimmicks.

Also, I notice you made it to Losers' Finals in your MvC3 pool at CEO. Of course, that's 'cause I'm assuming that "Drug Fox" is a typo referring to you LOL. Anyway, good **** if so.

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
Yeah its all good, I just thought it was definitely worth pointing out as a distinct difference from the "randomness" everyone refers to in mvc3.

Yeah that was me though, noel couldn't understand the name for some reason >_>

Walt

Smash Ace
I was playing some guilty tonight and you know what smash needs? Roman Cancels on clanks. That is such a boss mechanic.

Also Slash Back. But that would just be power shield that reduces block stun to a maximum of 2(I think) frames.

KingClubber

Smash Ace
In a dark underground base in the middle of L.A
I know i'm a bit late, but i'd like to put my input in this.

Okay to start off, I'm 24 years old so i've had my share of fighting games from N.E.S to the PS3 and i can honestly say that despite being somewhat skilled in fighting games i've never been the best.

I can understand why people get upset with traditional fighter fans because of the whole "It's not a real fighting game" quote they always use as they're defense against smash brothers. Yeah they're wrong because there are fighting games that aren't side scrolling fighting games that are fighters but they would bash it, and you know why?

Because they're stuck in they're ways, People use to say Power Stone, and Soul Caliber weren't real fighting games because it wasn't like street fighter.

Which of these fighting games take more skill to master is what really is what the problem is.

And if you were to ask me i would say Smash brothers is the more skill wise game because smash brothers has no cap for the maximum level of mastery. New things are still being learned about melee even after all this time.

In street fighter type games have an cap on skill mastery, and the cap is ruled by the limitations of the game.

But it's the learning curve that makes the true difference between the two, and this is where the Traditionalist kinda win this argument in they're opinion.

In the beginning for any smasher compared to street fighter is much harder to learn to play because they must first learn not to kill themselves having no barrier to stop you from killing yourself like in street fight leads to a ruff beginning because most smasher now in days didn't just decided to pick up a copy, they play with a friend who knew how to play, and here when it would make or break you from the game. Street Fight doesn't have this problem, you just get your butt whipped, and you begin your journey to learn to whip that other guy's butt.

And then they're the knowledge of the game, and I can use myself as an example here. I have been playing melee since day 1, but until about a year or two ago i had never knew of things such as wave shining, or shfflc (or as i call it Shuffling) I just played with friends who too never heard of these things we knew nothing of M2k or Ken. I would have never thought to D-air after shining with falco, i just used to just shine, shine, shine.

Advance tech we knew of now we had discovered by accident, but never thought to look deep into these things. Like the L-Cancel on the 64, we had learn that we could save are self from being hit when landing a D-air with Link by shielding when time just right, but we never thought that it would work with everyone, and all aerial attacks.

Street fighter does not have this problem, every advance tech you can learn just by looking in the game manual or looking looking at the command list in game, everything else are preset combo's, or glitches. I can do all Ibuki's advanced techs in SSF4, but i always lose every match online.

Street fighter learning curve is a lot sharper, then smash brothers is, but smash brothers learning curve is a lot higher.

They can play cpu's at they're maximum level and get better yet, we can't do that we have to find those better then are selves to reach higher level, hell back then i use to think my friend was the cap in skill level, how little did i know back then, and now im the one's who on top within my group of friends, and i still have much to learn.

In street fighter i'm done learning, and yet still get my butt kicked.

Oh, and if they give you beef about brawl, well now they got MVC3 a broken random glitched out piece of mess, and lets not forget they're old 3D street fighter games which we're completely unplayable.

Walt

Smash Ace
Alright I read you post like an hour ago and was like "okay". Just wanna say your post had a lot of text, but no actual content of any value.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
"In street fighter i'm done learning, and yet still get my butt kicked."

Sounds like you still have a lot to learn then!

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
So about that Luigi character. His Nair's pretty good. And he's got some really neat tricksies and KO potential. Shame about... the rest of his character...

Everlasting Laughter

Smash Cadet
Because of the movement and map difference with other factors i think that there are many more unique sytles to play melee as than compared to sf you can easy compare how different all the top level players play their main. Heck everyone's fox moves very different. Not saying you can't play different in sf it doesn't get as extreme like ihsb hugs wes and random samus two different campy ways to play and two different aggevie ways to play

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
I AM THE INTERNET.

/trumped
I AM GOD

Shaddup before I smite the.

Because of the movement and map difference with other factors i think that there are many more unique sytles to play melee as than compared to sf you can easy compare how different all the top level players play their main. Heck everyone's fox moves very different. Not saying you can't play different in sf it doesn't get as extreme like ihsb hugs wes and random samus two different campy ways to play and two different aggevie ways to play
You're wrong. Trust me.

Everlasting Laughter

Smash Cadet
Can you show me a bunch of sytles? I am aware Of how different it can be i've played some moral kombat with my friends i'm new to it but my melee skills for reading let me come up good enough to read them and nearly win when they get their combos going off.

But it felt like even i countered how they played fpr the most part it felt like if move a then block punish or whatever if i attack then block or proity move or keep blocking if combos.

The lack of movement game feels like i have more reason to only worry about useing a spaced move that isn't right away punishable. It feels much more straight forward but if you can show me like different higher levels of one match up for whatever sf game i'd love to see the extremes in melee i notice countless ways to play as the likes of fox and a number of other chartcers.

By all means call my nooba** out

Walt

Smash Ace
Can you show me a bunch of sytles? I am aware Of how different it can be i've played some moral kombat with my friends i'm new to it but my melee skills for reading let me come up good enough to read them and nearly win when they get their combos going off.

But it felt like even i countered how they played fpr the most part it felt like if move a then block punish or whatever if i attack then block or proity move or keep blocking if combos.

The lack of movement game feels like i have more reason to only worry about useing a spaced move that isn't right away punishable. It feels much more straight forward but if you can show me like different higher levels of one match up for whatever sf game i'd love to see the extremes in melee i notice countless ways to play as the likes of fox and a number of other chartcers.

By all means call my nooba** out
So dude what country are you from? NO REASON.

Top Bottom