• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SINGLES Lucario Match-Ups and Directory! Mario will brb saving a princess

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
Sup

Uh... I would write this long *** matchup guide but basically you have comparable range on the ground except for jab and grab, a faster aerial game, and we can quite easily harass eachother's recoveries. 6-4 lucario or something at the very worst, I'd put it at 55-45 lucario though, i'll put some more thought into it tomorrow morning.

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
After some brief Ike discussion, how about we recap numbers/verdict on both Ness/Ike and choose the new pair of MUs to discuss?
:flame:
I dunno if any of this information is useful at all, or relevant for that matter.... But here is my own twisted, personal take on the Ike matchup.

Lucario verses Ike. Personally, this is no less than a 60-40 for Lucario (in my own twisted opinion).

Let's get started. Ike's Jab is very good. It seems like one of his fastest, and one of his best moves to use. Unless we're just barely far back enough for our Aura to just barely out range it, his Jab beats ours when used at the same time. It will clank with us at mid range, and will outright damage us at close range, so you're going to have to try to stay out of his range (if that's even possible). Lucario's floaty enough to not have to worry about his Jab Cancel, though. His Dash has Good Range, but he himself is very slow, and it takes a little bit of time to use it, so it's easy to dodge. His Forward Tilt outranges ours by a little bit, but ours is much faster than his. His Down Tilt is good to try to kill us if we grab the ledge, but otherwise, it feels a bit too slow to use. Beware of his Uptilt. It's kinda fast, and can allow him to follow up with one of his Aerials.

Speaking of which, because of that blasted sword, his Aerials all are actually good. His Forward Aerial has the LONGEST Range of Any Aerial in the Game, and there's very little we can say or do about it. The Ike Boards consider their Neutral Aerial their best move, being able to hit all around most of Ike's body for good range and damage, as well as being canceled on the ground into his jabs or grabs. His Down Aerial is great at Spiking, and some Ikes like to use it on the stage by running, short hoping, and then using it so that you get hit by the end of the move. Up Aerial lasts a dang long time and kills pretty quickly. He can get you while you're falling back down with this move. And HOLY**** is his Back Aerial Fast! Another good kill move, too. I don't like trying to fight Ike in the air unless you're starting the fight.

Ike's Forward Smash is BEAST GANON POWERFUL, but also very ....sssssssssllllllllooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww..... so it's probably your fault if you get hit by it. That being said, DON'T GET HIT BY IT! A kill on the edge of Final Destination at 50% is nothing to be toyed with. His Up Smash is probably his best Smash, hitting all around him and doing moderate damage and knock back. His Down Smash destroys Rolls (.... **** ...), so don't get too Rolly around Ike. Eruption has a nifty Super Armor Effect, plus it can help stall him in the air, not to mention to keep us from desstroying him upon landing. Counter is... a better version of our Double Team, but still, virtually the same weaknesses apply. Quick Draw is an okay move, but since it's laggy when used on the ground (but not as much lag upon use in the air and landing), not to mention we can gimp his recovery if he has to use this to get back to stage, Ike will mainly use this while over the stage, just to get around. Aether is probably the better of his recovery moves, not to mention it can combo you if you've been freshly launched into the air, so try to avoid that. Ike doesn't seem to use his grabs as much as his other moves, but they're still there. A Good Pummel and his Forward Throw are the biggest things to look out for, though.

Against Ike, he'll have to Approach you, or else you can simply Aura Sphere him to Death. Don't try to use too many slow moves: (Slow-Moves-That-Are-Strong-When-You're-About-To-Die) vs (Slow-Moves-That-Are-Automatically-Strong-And-Can-Kill-You-Very-Early) seems to be in Ike's favor. Use Faster moves against him. Tilts and Short Hoped Aerials are very good for the Soul. Ike is another one of those Fatty-Fat-Fat-Fats that gets easily Chain Grabed by our Force Palm, so don't let that go to waste. Shield Grabing him to abuse any non fast attack he uses is a great way to battle him (in my opinion). But don't fight him in the Air. (In my opinion) Ike will dominate us if we try to battle him in a glorious battle amoungst the clouds. Try to keep his Fat *** ground bound, where he's **** food for your graby little hands. Feel free to use your many short-hoped Aerials on him, though.

Oh, and Stages? Ike seems to do very good on most Starter Stages, specifically Battle Field, where he can control the platforms quite well. He also seems to like Distant Planet as a regular stage, and Castle Siege. Basically, those little stages where he can reach the platforms and **** people with are good for him. And Delfino Plasa has a few areas where you can get Infinitely Grabed on, as does Corneria, so be wary. To **** him up, Ike seems to HATE Frigate Orpheon, so try to drag his *** into Hell if you can. Muhaha. I think the only worse version of Hell would be those stages where he has to do a lot of jumping, where if you throw him horizontally and then get hit by his Quick Draw in mid air, screwing him over *cough Rainbow Cruise cough*. So, I recomend banning Battlefield, unless you can assure you get to start on Final Destination or Smashville (sweet long stages where you can piss him off with Projectiles and Chain Grabs), in which case, try to ban one of the 4 stages you dislike the most: Corneria, Delfino Plasa, Castle Siege, or Distant Planet. Personally, I'd sell my Soul to start off on Final Destination, then move onto Rainbow Cruise or Frigate Orpheon if I lose.

In Total, Ike in Brawl is what Ganondorf SHOULD HAVE BEEN: A Slow Power House with a Sword. Ikendorf will keep you on your toes, and can slaughter you incredibly quick if you aren't constantly on alert. Thankfully, you can outspeed him and decimate him with your combo attacks, so he's not too much of a threat. Again, I think this matchup is a 60:40 Lucario.

I've been gone for quite a while. What did I miss? And I hope the information I provided (while Archaic and common knowledge to most players) is atleast a little helpful in writing up the Ike Matchup.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Now that I think about it, 60:40 is a pretty decent number for the summation. Like I said tho, which MU's should we do next? I was thinking of taking 2 from Zelda/Mario/Lucas since we haven't gone over them yet.

Rayku

Smash Lord
Ness vs. Lucario is even (50:50)

Ike vs. Lucario is 55:45 Lucario.

I'd give reasons why but none of you listen to me anyway.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Ness vs. Lucario is even (50:50)

Ike vs. Lucario is 55:45 Lucario.

I'd give reasons why but none of you listen to me anyway.
Losing to FOW doesn't make a matchup even.

Not true.
Actually, vs. Samus, it probably is true... to a degree. If she uses a KO move and you DI to the corner, you'll probably live by recovering high. Also, we can definitely do our best to hold our ground in center-stage to keep Samus from pushing us off, but it's not as impossible for Samus to push us off in gimp territory as people would make it. As Xyro said, if you're offstage from around the max height of Samus's jump or lower, you're not getting back. Samus can do sneaky things to gimp us if she reads us well, and safe ways to gimp us if she doesn't feel like being sneaky. If we are somehow forced to Up B, curving or not, you will never make it. That Dair is too easy to land on ExtremeSpeed.

So yeah, hold center stage to keep offstage action against Samus to a minimum. Also, if it wasn't already implied, never go offstage to edgeguard Samus. It's just begging for a reverse gimp. Just use Aura Sphere and maybe try to run off up b her dair or something and hope for the best, just make sure to get back onstage as fast as possible if you miss.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
A few comments @Da

-Lucario still has to worry about Jab canceling, just less then say Bowser. He may be floaty, but he's still tall and thus easy to hit. And Jab -> Grab is still a true combo.

-Ike likes Rainbor Cruise when he has the better air game. Heck, we have an Ike that purposely CPs RC as much as possible. And you said above don't fight Ike in the air. >_> RC moves slow enough that we are rarely screwed over by that, Utilt kills a even faster in the top area (yay for Utilt as strong as Snake's), and we get a cool Fthrow infinity on the ship. Jungle Japes on the other hand is Ike's worse stage. But he will strike it (unless it's San, because I think he likes this stage. O_o stupid aether on stage -> spike into water)

-If Pirate Ship is legal, and you don't ban it: you've lost. Plain and simple. Aether in water = good bye to your stock.

- If Ike has his second jump still, he never has to QD to get back on the stage. DB + Aether = same horizontal distance as max charged QD when accounting for charge time.

- Ike's jab can clank out any AS that isn't full charged, so I'm not sure how well spamming that against him will work. He might be able to jab each one and keep his shield at full. It would be better to fully charge it, and then nail him with it when he's using aether to recover.

6-4 seems right to me.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
My numbers for the MU are 55:45 vs. Ness, it's pretty close actually (Dog Latin's no FOW, but he was pretty rock solid), although we have a better range of tools (his fair, bair, dthrow, bthrow, and some others are really good though), and Ike 60:40, possibly 55:45, there's a definite advantage, but I wouldn't say he can't win this, you have to make as few mistakes as possible, which ike can capitalize on.
My vote is on Zelda and Lucas.

Vionce

Smash Journeyman
- Ike's jab can clank out any AS that isn't full charged, so I'm not sure how well spamming that against him will work. He might be able to jab each one and keep his shield at full.
Either way, Ike will have to approach which I think is the point of spamming AS.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Ike is about using his over-sized sword to space and getting off early kills.

Ike's jab can beat out BAS I think, so we'll need bigger Aura Spheres to stop this. Well Ike's Fair is hard to get around at time with the IASA frames, but we have enough range to get in on this if we play smart.

Be careful of his jab cancels, he can cancel his jab to start up another jab sequence. He can grab from it, Ftilt, Utilt, etc. Try and DI to the ground or away to shield or spot dodge. Spacing Filt should be able to take care of jabs.

Ike can kill Lucario much earlier than Lucario can the other way around. Here is one key difference, Lucario can gimp Ike to make up for this. If he Quick Draws and isn't high, run off stage and get hit by it or air dodge, he'll fall to his death.

I've played Kirk and got him to one stock on Frigate, but still I thnik I need to play the MU more before I say much more.

I think this is a 60:40 Lucario.

My ratios are both 60:40 Lucario.

Rayku

Smash Lord
Losing to FOW doesn't make a matchup even.
Way to be a complete f*cking **** with no reason. You honestly think that just because I barely lost a game to a significantly better player than I would make me make something up due to bias? Like I said, it's not like -any- of you guys listen to me anyway.

I've thought that matchup was even since I started playing Brawl when it first came out, and my opinion hasn't changed.

iRJi

Smash Champion
Way to be a complete f*cking **** with no reason. You honestly think that just because I barely lost a game to a significantly better player than I would make me make something up due to bias? Like I said, it's not like -any- of you guys listen to me anyway.

I've thought that matchup was even since I started playing Brawl when it first came out, and my opinion hasn't changed.
State you opinion.

Really, to compile all of us into one group and think we all wouldn't listen is the wrong thing to do. ESP. when there are some of us here who would would love to hear what you have to say. This is a state of persuasion. Say what you have to say.

tedward2000

Smash Champion
Way to go kita.
I just love coming here, and then seeing other people try to help, and then just get ignored.

@Lord
Im sorry that no one listens to you, even though I'm more then sure you can give your two cents perfectly on the match up. It's our loss really.
-t2

Kitamerby

Smash Hero

Nah, I just think that coming into a matchup thread with a simple, unsupported ratio and following it up with a derogatory statement towards the whole of the community is just plain not chill, and a small jolt would be enough to get you to stick around and listen to reason. You're good. Starting Lucarios look at your stuff to get better. Whether you wish to be or not, by putting your stuff online, and performing well offline, you've become a role model. Act like it. Help us out. Worst comes to worst, we end up confused, possibly questioning your methods for clarification. At the very worst possible scenario, we ignore your post altogether. In that case, at least you tried. We'll never learn or improve if good players keep creeping in, give up on the first hitch and call us hopeless, then leave us to our own stupidity. =\

Zucco

Smash Master
If I could just put in my word for Ness, I would personally bring Ness to Yoshi's island. As a fellow Ness user, I have to say I hate this stage. PK fire isnt nearly as useful here as other stages, The floor just eats it if you arent aiming it in the right spot. The Ghost platform if not careful could cost ness his stock when recovering, as it could either eat you PK thunder if you are in a bad spot or while low to the stage, it could push ness up which would leave Ness wide open. I also don't see that middle platform helping Ness at all, I'm pretty sure Lucario could just stand on top of it and dair any approaches he makes from under the platform. If your good at gimping then stages like rainbow or Frigate work too.

Rayku

Smash Lord
State you opinion.

Really, to compile all of us into one group and think we all wouldn't listen is the wrong thing to do. ESP. when there are some of us here who would would love to hear what you have to say. This is a state of persuasion. Say what you have to say.
I wouldn't say things without prior experience. I have posted before, and my thoughts have been completely ignored.

I hardly play Brawl anymore. If I do, it's friendlies with Reflex or beating on random people with Ike because he is the Ganondorf-of-Melee equivalent in Brawl.

You guys have Rockettrainer to tell you all you need to know. I've been compared to him before, so at least that's something. He seems like a pretty sweet dude who knows/contributes a lot more recently.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I wouldn't say things without prior experience. I have posted before, and my thoughts have been completely ignored.

I hardly play Brawl anymore. If I do, it's friendlies with Reflex or beating on random people with Ike because he is the Ganondorf-of-Melee equivalent in Brawl.

You guys have Rockettrainer to tell you all you need to know. I've been compared to him before, so at least that's something. He seems like a pretty sweet dude who knows/contributes a lot more recently.
Hooray, a compliment! :D *is flattered*

However, I'm taking a break from competitive Brawl at the moment. I don't plan on entering any tourneys until November. I do really want to go to Pound 4...

Aurasmash14

Smash Lord
Come on! im serious! Captain falcon and ganondorf in one go will leave us happier than if we were sitting around smoking...you know..

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
lol k, I'll let you guys start on C. Falcon and Ganondorf, I'll need to find pictures of them so that I can identify this post more easily for "indexing".

stRIP

Smash Ace
In this Matchup, LUCARIO should wrack up a bit damage on Ganon with juggling and then trying to gimp him. Thats something like everything LUCARIO has to do here

Ganon gets gimped to easy, we have no sideB followups on LUCARIO and our finisher Problem will give LUCARIO a big advantage. Its hard to techchase LUCARIO because of fast and long rolls.

Im not going to post more, because my english sucks (im writing down that John in every matchup thread)

75:25 in LUCARIOs favor from my side.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Lucario can be a pretty bad match-up. Ganondorf is forced to approach because of the Aura Sphere, he has disjointed hitboxes, uptilt spam to rack damage, and you need to kill him extremely fast since his power goes up as his percentage rises.

It's probably somewhere up in the 70:30-75:25 range, I never fought a really good Lucario so I'm just going off theory here..

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Bah, this is one of Ganondorf's hardest matchups if you ask me. The key thing about Lucario is he's really disjointed and has pretty low ending lag on several things. Particularly his KO moves. Not that it means much anyway, but you can't really combo him out of Flame Choke either.

Ganondorf really can't do anything against Lucario's F-smash except try to powershield dashgrab it if he's close enough. And Lucario's D-air makes it annoyingly hard to safely juggle him.

75/25.

BBQ°

Smash Champion
Lucario can walk off Ganondorf (gimp) from the stage easier than any other character in the game, except maybe Ivysaur

7.5/2.5 Lucario's favor

-Rayku

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Anyone got tips on what to watch out for? Or stage selection? (not that it really matters, it's pretty lopsided how the match will play) I know it sounds dumb since pretty much everything is benched on reaction, but it's still good to know.

Player-3

Smash Hero
lucarios gay

falcon ***** him 80/20 obviously

if lucarios offstage all you do is sit on the edge and then ledge hop knee
insta win

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
Be careful if you try to gimp these manly men because if you space wrongly with your FAirs you will get Side B'd to death.

In regards to the Dark Lord. Strike BF as you have less room to camp. You can juggle Ganon a bit, but all he needs is to get a hit or two in to basically catch up.

You can DI/SDI his DSmash to not get hit by the second kick.

Don't get too happy with rolling, otherwise you will get punished with Ganon's autocancelled DAir. Ban Brinstar, as parts of the stage eats Aura Spheres, lava puts a lot of pressure into CQC in addition to the low ceiling and raw power of Ganon's DAir (which can kill you through the lava at mid/high percents). He can extend his hitboxes to his attacks there pretty well, you can too, but of course he will be hitting much harder than you starting out, so watch out for that.

Since he is pretty darn heavy and has to be close to get any damage in you might be able to pull off a couple CGs. Don't do anything too laggy and miss or you'll be subject to Wizard's Foot or his Side B.

If you get the room to camp you will beat him pretty badly. If you camp really hard its probably 80:20 you. If you are a close range fighter 65:35 you (I feel guilty camping against the worst character in the game >.>). Try to not get grabbed too much.

Falcon is lighter than Ganon, but falls faster, so... that means you can juggle him pretty badly and kill him earlier. Camping is harder because he's so fast. The safest air attack he can use to approach is his BAir, even then it should be plenty obvious and not really safe for him. Even if Falcons perfect the knee you will unlikely get hit by its sweetspot if you space well. Falcon Kick has ok priority, so watch out for it and he'll be probably using it to punish your rolls.

The ol' Capt's priority sucks though and you have the Aura, he might just run into one of your attacks when he is attacking.

Falcon's Jab is surprisingly good, has decent priority, and the Gentleman (Jab to shoulder without the rapid part) can be done over and over if you don't DI away. Most good Falcons wont use the rapid jab unless you're at like the edge of a stage or something, its not that great...

His kill moves are either painfully obvious or laggy, so you should live to decently high %s.

Watch out for being juggled by UAirs, but if you space your FAir and DAirs properly it should not be a problem. Vs. Falcon should be 70:30 us give or take five on either side.

Player-3

Smash Hero
falcons bair is a great kill move, same killing power as ganons and it autocancells like our upair

our uair can also kill

utilt is amazing at killing and will beat out lucarios fair, but its laggy..

knee of course

falcon punch of course

smashes are meh

down air kills surprisingly well when you hit with falcons chest

lucarios down air is just aggravating

Koorikou

Smash Apprentice
Falcons got it hard aganist lucario here. Lucario aerial mocer are good but we are faster so watch out for uair and bair. We have almost nothing to follow up after a grab except maybe side-b or up-b.
The normal fair to dair lucario string is good and we have only have utilt to try to counter it.
Lucario is pretty light though so we can kill at medium-low percents with a dsmash(not very recommended) or a bair or uair offstage.
Nice use of aura sphere can get to us though >.
For stages i think anything acn be good except for BF. FD can work ok i guess.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Be careful if you try to gimp these manly men because if you space wrongly with your FAirs you will get Side B'd to death.

In regards to the Dark Lord. Strike BF as you have less room to camp. You can juggle Ganon a bit, but all he needs is to get a hit or two in to basically catch up.

You can DI/SDI his DSmash to not get hit by the second kick.

Don't get too happy with rolling, otherwise you will get punished with Ganon's autocancelled DAir. Ban Brinstar, as parts of the stage eats Aura Spheres, lava puts a lot of pressure into CQC in addition to the low ceiling and raw power of Ganon's DAir (which can kill you through the lava at mid/high percents). He can extend his hitboxes to his attacks there pretty well, you can too, but of course he will be hitting much harder than you starting out, so watch out for that.

Since he is pretty darn heavy and has to be close to get any damage in you might be able to pull off a couple CGs. Don't do anything too laggy and miss or you'll be subject to Wizard's Foot or his Side B.

If you get the room to camp you will beat him pretty badly. If you camp really hard its probably 80:20 you. If you are a close range fighter 65:35 you (I feel guilty camping against the worst character in the game >.>). Try to not get grabbed too much.

Falcon is lighter than Ganon, but falls faster, so... that means you can juggle him pretty badly and kill him earlier. Camping is harder because he's so fast. The safest air attack he can use to approach is his BAir, even then it should be plenty obvious and not really safe for him. Even if Falcons perfect the knee you will unlikely get hit by its sweetspot if you space well. Falcon Kick has ok priority, so watch out for it and he'll be probably using it to punish your rolls.

The ol' Capt's priority sucks though and you have the Aura, he might just run into one of your attacks when he is attacking.

Falcon's Jab is surprisingly good, has decent priority, and the Gentleman (Jab to shoulder without the rapid part) can be done over and over if you don't DI away. Most good Falcons wont use the rapid jab unless you're at like the edge of a stage or something, its not that great...

His kill moves are either painfully obvious or laggy, so you should live to decently high %s.

Watch out for being juggled by UAirs, but if you space your FAir and DAirs properly it should not be a problem. Vs. Falcon should be 70:30 us give or take five on either side.
Just want to correct you, Falcon's not lighter than Ganon, they're the same weight but Falcon actually survives longer due to having a better recovery and recovering better in general.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I played Twilight Prince on wifi a while back.

He liked Norfair as a stage for ganondorf.

Anyways I'll do a write up on both tomorrow.

Top Bottom