• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Sheik Strategy & QnA

MrOtter

Smash Journeyman
@ MrOtter. Suppp, we havent really played much in 1v1 but I've seen your sheik some ( I'm the guy who plays falco / randoms and teams with ajp antons luigi / pika ;D ). You should ask the other guys for advice too btw, they all know sheik decently.

afaik I remember you using fsmash a bit too much, having a little too bad needle game and prob dashdance / wavedash to space and bait moves too little.

Grabs generally set up a real nice tech chase that you can punish through pure reaction ( unlike other throws like fox / falcos dthrow who needs heavy prediction ) and sheik has particulary good finishers from chases ( dashattack , ftilt , uair fair etc ) makes you be able to pretty easily do 0-40% techchase into HERP A DERP creative combo ( aka *instert attack to fair * ).

On floaties though you can usually ftilt / dash attack / fair depending on their DI ( into more creative combos ) .
It would be much easier to answer these questions face to face, so let's play some 1v1s next wednesday or smthing.
Hej Leffen!

That'd be great. I go to Dragon's Lair every Wednesday and Friday (as you've seen), so I'll definitely see you there this Wednesday. I know all the usual faces at DL but not the names so point yourself out to me and we'll play some singles if that's cool? I think I'm getting better and better from playing with the Swedes. You guys are too legit, but you're right, I definitely don't bait as I should and my needles offstage could be a lot better.

My worst match-up right now is vs Falco so some 1 v 1 experience would be great. Thanks man. See you Wednesday.

Hej da!

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
In Sheik dittos, when you do that chain grab --> run off Fair you should grab the edge after so you can force Sheik onstage and then ledgedash --> dd grab so you're facing offstage --> more chain grab/d-throw run off Fair if they DI that way.

If you're gonna let her poof onstage and then hit her, grab is better than dash attack in this matchup pretty much always, especially if you're playing with CG.

D-smash is only really good for edgeguarding if you can hit them back offstage because you're close to the edge and you don't feel like grabbing them for some reason.

Ledgehop Bair sucks unless you sweetspot it for ledgehopping on Sheik during edgeguards. If you want to just keep it simple and do aerials, do reverse Nairs (high percent) or Dair --> another move (medium percent). Bair can work but it has to sweetspot. Strong Nair is easier to hit.

In Sheik dittos for maximizing your killing power it is imperative you learn how to grab the edge really fast in a variety of ways. You WDed a bunch of times before trying to grab the edge. If you just kept dashing and then SH reverse needle store FFed I'm pretty sure you would have grabbed the edge. Or if you just limited your WDs and FFed when you fell off the stage.

Ledgehop aerial can hit Sheik before she gets her invincibility but you have to do it earlier.

Unless you jump out and Bair them or hit a tipped U-smash or hit them out of their Up+B before the invincibility sets in, Sheik doesn't really kill herself at low percents.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
Yeah...that's pretty much gg. I don't even jump when it's neutral position vs marth. The only time I jump is if I've already hit him in the air. It's too scary to come down on a marth :(

GooeyBanana

Smash Lord
Yeah... It's pretty situational I guess. I just TRY and work with the platforms if there is any when I double jump, and then I needle/fair/nair/dair/waveland. Orrrr....quit life xD

Twin_A

Smash Champion
Singin Pretty Fly for a White Guy in the shower :)
LIES!

I like jumping, although I like how amsah always jumps just that little bit back against spacies (making sheik do the backflip) followed usually by fair. Don't see many sheiks do it but it's one of those things that makes me like watching your vids haha.

Witchblade

Smash Cadet
if they are grounded, dsmash. if they are in the air, fair. Fair slaps them into the ground if they are grounded, and dsmashing falling bodies sucks
Ah, thanks! I didn't know it mattered if they were airborne or not.

I've got another question: do boost grabs come out faster than (jc) grabs? Does anyone have the frame data on them? I could only find it for regular and running grabs.

soap

Smash Hero
boost grab is running grab. u just add a dash attack to the front of it.

adding the jump frames to the jc grab make it about the same as the running grab.

the main difference is the ending lag.

Witchblade

Smash Cadet
Ah, that makes sense, soap.

That makes boost grabs the fastest way to grab someone (due to the boost at the end being faster than running), but as running grabs they still stay out 10 frames longer than normal grabs (40 vs 30). I guess that means jc grabs are safer normally, while boost grabs are good for tech chasing. IIRC, this is also what Amsah does. (@ DJRome)

DJRome

Smash Hero
oh, im confident that boost grabbing is the best for tech chasing, but just mentioning that you have to be that much more well timed, though not quite as well spaced

soap

Smash Hero
i use boost grabs just for general grabbing all the time as well

I find it very useful against marth. cuz u have to cover more ground when spacing him out

Alighieri14

Smash Rookie
Does anyone have advice on learning to powershield? also, is it worth taking the time to master? i fight a lot of falcos and it seemed like a useful think to be able to do

Top Bottom