• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Sheik Strategy & QnA

WHA?

Smash Ace
i remember playing fly and askin
"what the hell do i do??"
he said
"sheik stuff dont work on ic's"
and elaborated that stuff that works on most all characters dont work on iCs....

his popo is such a *****, but i admire it, hopefully ill be as good as his popo someday

Alighieri14

Smash Rookie
Does anyone have vids or feel like making a vid on needle cancelling or reverse needle cancelling? i understand how to do it but i cant really tell if im doing it right. im more of a visual guy than a reader

btw sorry if this question was asked already. i just didnt feel like checking all 500+ pages to see if someone already did.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
No its fine.

There is an extremely easy way of knowing.

Needle canceling puts you into a state where Sheik starts charging needles. If you cancel it you should stop charging it. She makes a distinct sound while charging it so it should be easy to tell.

Reverse is the same thing but you should face the opposite direction.

Alighieri14

Smash Rookie
i must be missing something, but then i guess they call us rookies for a reason. how is that more effective than charging them regularly?

Alighieri14

Smash Rookie
oh ok, i gotcha. then i think im doing it right. i guess that its good for ledgeguarding? my ledgeguarding game is terrible :urg:

Republican0fHeaven

Smash Ace
Is the best way to edge guard with needles on battlefield against a peach just simply shff needle? Or is there a commonly used technique involving the platforms?

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
oh ok, i gotcha. then i think im doing it right. i guess that its good for ledgeguarding? my ledgeguarding game is terrible :urg:
Get all your advice here! =D

We're cool promise <3

Also, sheik edgeguarding is extremely broad and theres a lot of things to know and realize. Her abilities aren't restricted and you sorta need to know whats good vs what, so don't be like... intimidated just play then come back for advice =D.

Is the best way to edge guard with needles on battlefield against a peach just simply shff needle? Or is there a commonly used technique involving the platforms?
Theres no "best" way, sheik can do a lot of things vs peach though it all depends on the situation really.

Needles don't work unless peach is at or below edge level.

Twin_A

Smash Champion
Singin Pretty Fly for a White Guy in the shower :)
i must be missing something, but then i guess they call us rookies for a reason. how is that more effective than charging them regularly?
Well sometimes you only have a brief moment to charge needles otherwise you are prone to getting hit. As well you may just use the technique to quickly grab the edge or to edge guard someone (as seen here)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOoASGMMWTI#t=1m35s

I know it's bad quality but it's the first one that came to mind (Amsah vs Mango).

I think he does it more in that match too.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
I use reverse needle stores as a way to bait/turn around. examples liek run back sh reverse needle store fair or dash sh reverse needle store bair.

nice to catch people off guard once in a while

h!tboxexplo!ter

Smash Ace
alright so i figured out how to shino stall somewhat consistently, but i have a question. is it smarter to do the following after the final explosion (as in your about to grab the edge):
a) do nothing with the control stick
b) move the control stick manually to the center/up
c) or move it towards the edge, to prevent potential disaster if you mess up

MidwestBorderPatrol

Smash Cadet
How do you this that Amsah does at 1:09????
I for the life of me can't figure out how to? And when should I use that?

This is the videohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yI_hGcWjTKA&feature=related

Nihonjin

Striving 4 Perfection
BRoomer
What, upB stalling?

Back/Down (to let go of the edge) > Up + B > Down (so you poof down) > let go of down before you pass the edge so you grab it > repeat

unknown522

Some guy

Nihonjin

Striving 4 Perfection
BRoomer
so amsah u just let the stick go once ur on your way towards the edge? im always worried it wont return from being down in time to let me grab the edge (and therefore suicide =( )
*on the edge* > Down > Up > B > Down > *poof* > neutral > *grabs edge > *repeat*

I mess it up once every 600 billion times
/Facepalm @ Kishimoto
so I'm not really worried about it, if you practice it you should be fine. Muscle memory is a great thing..=]

Zoler

Smash Ace
Personally I never mess up the up-b stall, but I have a really hard time getting the right timing in, mostly I'm fine anyways but when I play really agressive players that just don't give a f*ck like Armada I'll just get ***** cuz I'm not invincible >_<

MrOtter

Smash Journeyman
- Hey guys, can I have a bit of grab related help? English Pal player in Stockholm. Getting beasted by a lot of people better than me.

My Sheik is pretty good. Good platform movement, good spacing, good speed. But my grab game is just dreadful. Do any Sheiks have any advice on how best to get grabs and keep tech chase combos going? When should I be boost grabbing? Do I need to learn to JC? How do I look for an opening on spacies and Marth? I'm hopeless at grabs and when I do get one I have no clue how to follow it up.

Tero.

Smash Champion
- Hey guys, can I have a bit of grab related help? English Pal player in Stockholm. Getting beasted by a lot of people better than me.

My sheik is good. Great plaform movement, great spacing, great speed etc. But my grab game is just dreadful. Do any Sheiks have any advice on how best to get grabs and keep tech chase combos going? When should I be boost grabbing? Do I need to learn to JC? How do I look for an opening on spacies and Marth? I'm hopeless at grabs and when I do get one I have no clue how to follow it up.
If you're that great at every other aspect of smash you should be able to find a solution yourself.

soap

Smash Hero
Personally I never mess up the up-b stall, but I have a really hard time getting the right timing in, mostly I'm fine anyways but when I play really agressive players that just don't give a f*ck like Armada I'll just get ***** cuz I'm not invincible >_<
brinstar practice for a half an hour

MrOtter

Smash Journeyman
If you're that great in every other aspect of smash you should be able to find a solution yourself.
Oh c'mon don't be like that.

Sorry I really didn't mean to sound arrogant, I genuinely need grab help! Definitely not 'every other aspect' by the way. I move fast but I move stupid. My Sheik needs a lot of work, but my grab game is my glaring weak spot.

p.s. Note I edited my the words I used in my post from 'great' to 'good' because I quickly noticed that I sounded like an arse.

soap

Smash Hero
grabs are hard in today's metagame. In my opinion don't focus on trying to get them. space moves and react to mistakes naturally for grabs

soap

Smash Hero
*on the edge* > Down > Up > B > Down > *poof* > neutral > *grabs edge > *repeat*

I mess it up once every 600 billion times
/Facepalm @ Kishimoto
so I'm not really worried about it, if you practice it you should be fine. Muscle memory is a great thing..=]
i didn't understand till i checked the chapter.

"I don't understand... I ran countless simulations..."

with ****in SIX HUNDRED BILLION TAGS!

i don't think he realizes how big that number is

MidwestBorderPatrol

Smash Cadet
grabs are hard in today's metagame. In my opinion don't focus on trying to get them. space moves and react to mistakes naturally for grabs
Why is this so?

With sheik I try and grab everything and then either up smash or forward tilt from there to set up my combos

soap

Smash Hero
why is it hard to grab? because people guard themselves against it

I still get grabs of course, I'm saying I don't look for them I just do them

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
Also because if you wiff a grab you get ***** pretty hard. I don't really actively look for grabs, if i see an opprotunity i take it, but im not htinking 'i gotta grab i gotta get this grab.' let the force flow through you

leffen

Smash Champion
@ MrOtter. Suppp, we havent really played much in 1v1 but I've seen your sheik some ( I'm the guy who plays falco / randoms and teams with ajp antons luigi / pika ;D ). You should ask the other guys for advice too btw, they all know sheik decently.

afaik I remember you using fsmash a bit too much, having a little too bad needle game and prob dashdance / wavedash to space and bait moves too little.

Grabs generally set up a real nice tech chase that you can punish through pure reaction ( unlike other throws like fox / falcos dthrow who needs heavy prediction ) and sheik has particulary good finishers from chases ( dashattack , ftilt , uair fair etc ) makes you be able to pretty easily do 0-40% techchase into HERP A DERP creative combo ( aka *instert attack to fair * ).

On floaties though you can usually ftilt / dash attack / fair depending on their DI ( into more creative combos ) .
It would be much easier to answer these questions face to face, so let's play some 1v1s next wednesday or smthing.

@ Zoler

Lulz its funny how few people who realize they can just grab sheiks edge and **** her when shes planking ;D ( ofc not as simple as that but still ).

Top Bottom