• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Sheik Strategy & QnA

Witchblade

Smash Cadet
What's the most effective way of playing Jigglypuffs like this when they have a lead? Like... I felt I played pretty patiently on the whole, but I don't think I did a lot in the way of hitting him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_wpaHXzAaw&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2mYHi3sxqg&feature=related
You're probably better than me, but as far as I can see you got the basics of the match-up down. As KK said, you're patient, but you're still the one approaching most of the time. Only approach with bair and just needle needle needle. Also, really watch your recoveries. You got unnecessarily punished for that sometimes.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
You're camping him but also making the first move a lot.

And full jumping a lot when you don't need to be.

I might watch it more intently later.
Isn't it better to approach when they have the lead?

Noted on the full hop use, thanks.

You're probably better than me, but as far as I can see you got the basics of the match-up down. As KK said, you're patient, but you're still the one approaching most of the time. Only approach with bair and just needle needle needle. Also, really watch your recoveries. You got unnecessarily punished for that sometimes.
Thanks.

soap

Smash Hero
you do too many moves that are clearly not going to hit. It's just alot of predictable wasted movement.

she is just spamming high bairs. you can get under those. run, duck, run, utilt. Or wait till she is out of jumps and chase her landing with dtilts. full hop nairs on top of her

Bairs are really good, but mixing it up is crucial for keeping YOU interested in the match lol

Brookman

Smash Hero
people obviously need to pick up the slack and stop going easy on bowser players.

for shame, sheik community.

Learn your CG's again.

Kira-

Smash Champion
That's probably my fault. I'm actually really bad against Bowser. Luckily no one has gone Bowser against me in tourney in the past 3 years.

gm jack

Smash Lord
A patient Marth who likes to use dtilt as a poke. It ended up with 30 second sprees of no damage as we both tried to find openings, but that dtilt mixed with grabs if he saw a shield was really annoying to get inside.

Tips for punishing the dtilt/ escaping it's follow ups?

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
i got totally ignored >_<
You should make a thread on video stuff next time.

I think it'll be easier to notice it especially in this thread where posts are more geared toward like question = _____ then answer ____

Or a discussion is on hand.... well ideally anyway.

Anyway I was watching it lol heres what I thought very generally:

You aerial needle a little too often. Especially on the first game on BF. You did it at the edge which leaves you really vulnerable. Sneak didn't take total advantage of it but he could have ran in and did a lot of damage during your needle cooldown you should really becareful of that.

Imo vs falco you don't want to be airborne as much as you were. Most of her aerial game in this match up imo is aggressive when you have falco locked in his shield scared to move. Defensively it makes you eat more lasers (the way you were playing I mean, it can be helpful though). Try to shield and just creep up looking out for dairs and such rather than hoping stray needles hit.

2nd match is .... lol I'm not gonna comment :laugh:

Vs Fox you played better, I feel you have a better grasp on the sheik vs fox than Sheik vs Falco.

In general, when you tech chase from ground to platform you're too pre-emptive(or however you spell it :mad:) if you ftilt someone onto a platform run under it and wait for the tech. Use uptilts and SH fairs/bairs to cover techs on a platform. Your edgeguarding was pretty good on some cases but you also let a few easy ones go. Like the one on PS where Fox was firefoxing eye level with you. Know when you can throw a needle horizontally and use it. It forces fox to recover low and go high instead of giving him the option to go at you, at the edge, or go high (onto stage/platform).

Try to improve your game outside of the edge. Fighting by at the edge won't work when you face better players. They simply will not let you grab them since your strategy is so limited.

Besides that, nice edgeguards lol gimps, cool combos, and good stuff lol. Sneak played Copycat a lot and he played my sheik a few times so he's not awful in the match up (or at least he's comfortable with it by now) =D

AceDudeyeah

Smash Ace
Is the soonest possible frame that sheik can grab the edge before or after her invincibility wears off?
(when up-bing at an upward angle)

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
preemptive haley

preemptive

if you wait and react to their tech/non-tech on a plat with uair you can get some beastmode combos

ADY i don't know i'm not ignoring you

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Random question:

Is boost grab necessary to grab spacies who tech roll away from you on reaction?

Also, when you d-throw, and they DI away from you, (in order to better reposition yourself to cover both tech roll options) is it better to walk up to where they land or wavedash there?

AceDudeyeah

Smash Ace
i think that's because of ledge invincibility, he's tanking about the invincibility from up-b
Also, the sheik is vanishing at a downwards angle when ledgestalling.
Up-bing at a downwards angle will make the character stop the attack to grab the edge like with fox and falco.
I'm talking about an upwards angle.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
Random question:

Is boost grab necessary to grab spacies who tech roll away from you on reaction?

Also, when you d-throw, and they DI away from you, (in order to better reposition yourself to cover both tech roll options) is it better to walk up to where they land or wavedash there?
i dont think it's necessary but it definitely cuts on the frames you can miss

walk up to where they land

Falcinho

Smash Ace
@john!: I'm pretty sure ledge-invincibility doesn't cover the whole thing,
I think the last part is covered by the upB (never checked frame data though)

@AceDudeyeah: Again i never checked frame data for this,
but if you gain invincibility then only when you're already very close to the ledge.
So its kinda risky against people who edgehog since they can just hit you a bit below the ledge.
If they don't hit you there it usually pays off though, because if they let go of the ledge you'll grab it
and if they stay there you can do double explosion and stuff making it harder for them to get where you land in time.

Falcinho

Smash Ace
any move to fair is cool

i even did downB to fair against the cpu =)

Edit: Or seriously just edgehog bair
if you dont have enough time for this run off -->rejump nair/fair is good against illusions or airdodges

needles **** too

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
how do you edge guard falco and fox? any advice.
Jump and Fair/Bair vs high recoveries Firefox. Just go off and hit them.

Low Firefox recoveries ledgehop an aerial. Usually Bair. Repeat until death. Dropping off the edge into Bair and then double jumping into another aerial is also alright. Needles onstage from the air are good for hitting people out of sweetspots. Then you grab the edge. Edgehogging is also good if they're super duper low and can't make it or if you just read/predict/guess they'll try to do a super ridiculous squeeze.

If they Firefox at a height where you can needle them there's no reason to not just hit them with it.

Vs Illusion all of that works too. Only if they Illusion at the same height as you, D-smash is often better than needle. Run off DJ Nair is good because Illusion has no priority.

Pita

Smash Apprentice
Is this known yet? You can jump with Sheik on Battlefield onto a platform (full hop). Then use the chain. It won't do an aerial chain, it will do a grounded chain instead. In other words, you can cancel the aerial chain into a grounded chain.

If you can do it on Battlefield, you should theoretically be able to do it elsewhere too if your timing is right, correct?

On a side note, I find the chain hilarious and, while it's never to be used in a serious match, it's great fun to use it if even to throw your opponent off. Short of messing with Ganon/Falcon/Falco/Fox as they attempt to recover, are there any other potential uses for it?

Top Bottom