• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social SGD: The hedgehogs are back in town.

Kupo Rose

It's what my cutie mark is telling me ♫
It doesn't have to be from 1 reference <.<

[collapse="saving the page from stretching"]
[/collapse]

Browny

Smash Hater
Over 12 hours without a post in the Sonic boards?

I gotta break this drought, were almost at 100,000 guys :)

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
"Better" than the Sheik board about a week ago. It had a drought lasting 48 hours.

But this board's "beating" the Marth board by about 30,000, amusingly, lol.

/99,030

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
You guys suck for not posting more.

Anyways, back from my vacation to the coast. Exhausted, though, and I have a lot to catch up on.

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
So is anyone looking forward to Sonic 4?

How about Sonic Colors? (Couldn't they have come up with a better name?)

Sonic 4 is looking good, plus I know a little spoiler you might not know yet if you didn't catch the leak on youtube. It's not much of a spoiler, just Sega answering our prayers to the thing we wanted to do again.

At least Sonic Colors is being built around the daytime levels in unleashed, which is a good thing.

Now to get some sleep.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Yep.

How about Sonic Colors? (Couldn't they have come up with a better name?)
Eh, Sonic Colors sounds catchy. But the first time I heard it, it reminded me of this song I found about a year prior.

Sonic 4 is looking good, plus I know a little spoiler you might not know yet if you didn't catch the leak on youtube. It's not much of a spoiler, just Sega answering our prayers to the thing we wanted to do again.
This interests me. Does it hve anything to do with momentum?

At least Sonic Colors is being built around the daytime levels in unleashed, which is a good thing.
Yep. And "hopefully" the game will be built just around that aspect, or if something else is made, it won't be too outlandish.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
When's dat vid comin Wedge? <.<

And not trolling, 2Knee!:mad088:

Tenki

Smash Hero

lol, I actually started up an account on SEGA boards a while back, partly as an experiment and an educational (observation on game company/design/feedback) experience.

SEGA claims that they're taking a bit of fan feedback into account, so I'm kinda gauging how they go through with that and other claims.

For example, there were some people who were like "ew what's homing attack doing in a 'back to roots' game?", but it seems that in the SEGA forums, it's about 50-50 on acceptance. As for what the guys at E3 said, it seems that the emergent player behavior is to use it. I did, however, notice this one thing that's kinda weird from their (work in progress) E3 demo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAbo1dfjRjA#t=37s

They've dubbed it 'uncurling' and there's both more unified and more negative reaction to it than Homing Attack ever got [they argue that it forces people to use it/lose momentum/takes away from the classic pinball feel], so I'm curious to see how it turns out in the end.

Some of the fanbase is kinda annoying to watch though :/

"baww they should bring classic sonic back, want the green eyes to go away" etc.

gaaameplayyyyy
:093:

Trent

Smash Champion
The internet is always gonna find a problem with this game no matter what Sega does.

Whatevs, still hyped.

Kupo Rose

It's what my cutie mark is telling me ♫
Pretty much. Everyone complains too much

edit: Uncurling needs to be taken away. There's like no benefit whatsoever from it. What's holding SEGA back from not putting it back to the way it was anyway?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I looked at that PR.

Saw the top 3

Saw 2d, not in it.

Stopped caring.

looked again.

Got to the first person that I didnt recognise. (Mr. Eric) and didnt see 2d

Got sad and closed the window

Son. I am Super Disappoint.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I'm going to leave Sonic to the pros.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Uncurling sounds like the most ******** thing EVER in a Sonic game

Why do it? What possible purpose does it serve? To force people to use Homing Attack so they don't get hit? Utterly ridiculous. Why don't they just make it so that you curl like normal and can use Homing Attack whilst in a ball...you know, like they've done for every single Sonic game thats featured some sort of Homing Attack. Sonic 3&K had it, Sonic Advance 3 (can't rememeber if the other two did) had it, Sonic Rush series had it...

It doesn't make any sense and I can already see it being an extremely annoying thing to deal with for something that is normally instinctive - I roll off a hill, I see some badniks, I bounce along them and act all cool. If I don't need to use Homing Attack, don't force me to :/

Tenki

Smash Hero

There were a few things I (and other people) noticed from the various E3 videos:
- Boosters force Sonic into a temporary roll.
- You can charge spindash on really steep slopes.
- When you go into a corkscrew thing, Sonic gets forced into run - there's no rolling in corkscrews x.x
- When you move off a platform (horizontally and vertically), you can use Homing Attack. This one's the big feature that's level design seemed to be geared towards - you move up a quarter pipe fast enough and you can do a HA chain on some bridge of badniks.

So basically, I have a strong strong feeling that Sonic Team was actually not completely ready to present. I've been in situations (at school) where I'd have to get a game working in time for a presentation - and basically, any decent presentation I've done meant that I'd need to get the barebones working. If you assume that the player will just run and not spindash so much, then everything would be fine, wouldn't it?
If Sonic moves off a platform, put him in the "I can use Homing Attack" state.

Everything works fine!
...except for spindash.

But that has an oversight where it doesn't check if he's in ball form, so it basically treats rolling and running the same. If they had enough time, they probably would have added checks distinguishing rolling off and running off edges.

So tl;dr:
I think they actually didn't have as much finished as they wanted, did a rushed job just in time for E3, and uncurling is just a biproduct of an otherwise cool feature that they didn't check all the cases for.

Anyway, I got confirmation from a SEGA mod/community manager that they know that fans are really bothered by it. He can't really confirm anything other than that unless they finalize something, so hopefully we'll see changes. That's part of my experiment, anyway lol.

:093:

Life

Smash Hero
Welcome to the boards!

I don't recall getting a welcome :V

So...new Sonic games! Exciting.
Thanks!

I wasn't expecting much of one, maybe it's just this board?

New Sonic games... I think Sega might actually be about to hit a stride, but we'll see--I actually liked Sonic Unleashed (protip: Try not to think of it as a Sonic game, especially on the night levels, this will up your enjoyment noticeably) so maybe I'm just overly optimistic or I have different standards for "Sonic" than the rest of ye. IDK.

Sonic Colors, I'm rather "eh" on the powerups, wait and see I guess.

Sonic 4... basically, what's already been said here.

Top Bottom