• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social SGD: The hedgehogs are back in town.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I am so saving that for future lulz.

and Tails, I thought you were the one telling me I loved Rosy deep down. You dog you. I saw what you did to that lady too in that movie too. You just can't keep your hands off the ladies, can you? =)

Rizen

Smash Legend
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirbyandSonicrock14 View Post
So, what are we going to do about sonic not being in trouneys then? I say everyone from the smash boards or sonic section at least should go to trouney, and prove them wrong about sonic. We can go on and on about how much he sucks, but let's try to do something about it. Let's not cry, but pick sonic up and go on an owning steak with him.

^Lol.
Thanks again Sonic mains. I will try to set up a few wifi matches. Remember when you are feeling blue, there are always characters worse than Sonic that some people are attached to. Triforce tier lol.

Life

Smash Hero
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirbyandSonicrock14 View Post
So, what are we going to do about sonic not being in trouneys then? I say everyone from the smash boards or sonic section at least should go to trouney, and prove them wrong about sonic. We can go on and on about how much he sucks, but let's try to do something about it. Let's not cry, but pick sonic up and go on an owning steak with him.

^Lol.
Thanks again Sonic mains. I will try to set up a few wifi matches. Remember when you are feeling blue, there are always characters worse than Sonic that some people are attached to. Triforce tier lol.

icwutudidthar

;P

I'd get on Wifi but life's busy, maybe in the future.

Trent

Smash Champion
NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
So many ppl taking a break from brawl or switching mains or just plain quitting. :S I wish i could say i'm not on a hiatus myself but lack of tourneys and money put me in the hiatus position. Plus my last tourney rly showed me i have alot of thinking and reviewing to do on my sonic's playstyle so i think i'mma say for alitte while i'm taking a "Tourney" hiatus.

NH Cody

Smash Champion
About the "improvement" component of this game...

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I think wifi helps.

It gives you practice in the game and helps you to learn prediction skills, while helping your understandings of MUs.

What do you guys think?

(we're talking about matches with playable connections here)

SoupaSonic

Smash Journeyman
I think wifi could help determine what could work in a match and what couldn't. But I wouldn't depend on stuff you learn on wifi because certain things that work on wifi might not work in a tourney match.

NH Cody

Smash Champion
Right, but keep in mind I didn't mean "depending" entirely on wifi, I meant playing on wifi for practice along with playing anyone you could play offline/going to tourneys

Kupo Rose

It's what my cutie mark is telling me ♫
What he (SoupaSonic) said^ and...

Pros
- Gives an idea of match ups
- Helps on your reading and predicting (kinda)
- Better than offline CPU training

Cons
- Messes up your timing
- Projectiles become a pain in the arse to powershield
- (S)DI is a lil' more difficult
- Zelda becomes S Tier

NH Cody

Smash Champion
Yeah I totally agree, Kupo

I've heard people tell me that CPU training is better, but I don't believe that

As far as timing is concerned, playing in training mode or whatever offline every now and then is a way to keep good timing, isn't it?

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I guess I'm the opposite, I'm starting to go to more and more tournaments, with one in OKC in 3 days. Possibly small turnout, but hey, heck of a lot better than nothing.

And with me going to OU next semester, I'll likely meet up with those that go OoS that I met at Phase last month, so my tournament experience could possibly go higher from there,

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
What he (SoupaSonic) said^ and...

Pros
- Gives an idea of match ups
- Helps on your reading and predicting (kinda)
- Better than offline CPU training

Cons
- Messes up your timing
- Projectiles become a pain in the arse to powershield
- (S)DI is a lil' more difficult
- Zelda becomes S Tier
You forgot that Sonic sucks massively online.

Same goes to Zelda.

Kupo Rose

Sonic already sucks though, I don't see a difference?

Now now Chis. You know all characters get disadvantaged online.

Life

Smash Hero
Ike is great on Wifi too.

Also, convinced my local card shop to host a SSB tournament sometime towards the end of summer. More info when I get it. But I'm unduly excited.

Life

Smash Hero
west PA. Said card shop is in Tarentum. First non-TCG/minis game/related they've run since the LAST SSB tournament in like 2008, so I expect lotsa noobs. When more info's available I'll put it up over in the tournament section (or get the proprietor to do it, IDK) though, so maybe I'll be wrong.

Browny

Smash Hater
Zhamy said:
I'm laughing at Sonic mains thinking he was going to make a huge jump.
I laughed when I read this just then... a comment on tier list 2.0. Of course in 3.0, Sonic went on to make the biggest jump in history, ironically which wouldnt have been the biggest if he rose further in 2.0 :p

Also I dont think Sonic sucks that much on wifi, after all he does have a lot of very spammy attacks which are quick and hard to punish like dash attack and even a fair out of a run lol. People will say precision characters suffer most on wifi and of course Sonics hitboxes being small, this affects him. But then again he is quick and a very difficult target to hit too, his advantages on wifi arent countered massivle by his disadvantages imo, like some of you guys say.

NH Cody

Smash Champion
I think it's more his...playstyle that's the problem.

When I play Sonic on wifi it just feels weird :dizzy:

and sometimes my aerials out of SDJ don't come out on time so they don't connect...

Tenki

Smash Hero
lol, wifi sonic.

spam spin cancels, they'll start dodging into your baits.

Wifi was awesome back when everyone played it.

The only reason I'm as bad as I am now is because I got to play really cool people back then, like that one Snake from Canada, and that one ZSS from NY, and that link from NJ, and that peach from NY, and many cool Sonic mains XD

Kupo Rose

Wifi definately helped me.

@DJ: But there's like many many more characters with better spammable attacks than Sonics

lol, wifi sonic.

spam spin cancels Play like Boku, they'll start dodging into your baits.
Fixed.

When I play Sonic on wifi it just feels weird

and sometimes my aerials out of SDJ don't come out on time so they don't connect...
I thought we were talking about playable connections here?

Kupo Rose

What do you mean?

:confused:
You asked if wifi can improve your game. In playable connections. V

What do you guys think?

(we're talking about matches with playable connections here)
Now you talk about how Sonic feels wierd on it and that sometimes your attacks don't come out (lol input lag) V

When I play Sonic on wifi it just feels weird :dizzy:

If your attacks aren't coming out. I don't think that's called playable connections lol.

Or am I missing something here? o.o

NH Cody

Smash Champion
Ohh right I was just having a stupid moment

Yeah...in playable connections he feels more natural, when there's input lag he feels weird is what I meant to say :lick:

Tenki

Smash Hero
So...you're saying wifi has helped you..?
Yeah, you just have to be aware of what only works on "wifi" and what's legit.

Spamming attacks until something hits: "wifi".
Jumping at someone, finally realizing they'll probably airdodge, so you input a delayed b-air and it hits them out of airdodge: legit

Charging spindash across the stage, and hitting the guy while they're walking/standing/not doing anything: "wifi"

Charging spindash and hitting the guy while they're in the middle of a move: legit.

Basically, use it to start to understand the kind of habits that people have, and start getting yourself in the mindset to punish those things. Don't put too much importance on moves that hit if either of you are in a "neutral" position (Single jump, standing, walking, running), because it's likely they could have avoided it offline.

When you play good players, you can tell a difference in their habits, even online.

Browny

Smash Hater
When you play good players, you can tell a difference in their habits, even online.
The only difference I notice in habits of 'good players' is when you compare those that play wifi because they want to get better, and those that complain about everything. The latter never plays properly and just spams stupid moves/abuses one tactic like your above examples. I doubt anyone would be able to pick differences so eaily in my playstyle online or offline :/

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
I laughed when I read this just then... a comment on tier list 2.0. Of course in 3.0, Sonic went on to make the biggest jump in history, ironically which wouldnt have been the biggest if he rose further in 2.0 :p

Also I dont think Sonic sucks that much on wifi, after all he does have a lot of very spammy attacks which are quick and hard to punish like dash attack and even a fair out of a run lol. People will say precision characters suffer most on wifi and of course Sonics hitboxes being small, this affects him. But then again he is quick and a very difficult target to hit too, his advantages on wifi arent countered massivle by his disadvantages imo, like some of you guys say.
Lag also messes up your movement and spacing. You can't run in and out with nearly as much precision as you do offline due to lag in my experience.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
sonic isnt bad in wifi, I just always felt like my particular playstyle was just straight up impossible to use.Now when I gave up on that and just decided to space and spam bair over and over again, the results were always much better.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I'm still lurking. Link on wifi is very different than offline; it's 2 variations of the metagame:dizzy:. Wifi's helped me in both areas. I'm trying to learn MUs strait from the source, people who main the character. And maybe learn how to use that character too;). You Sonics should use your xat chat: http://xat.com/bluesteak
It's easier to arrange wifi matches and learn than free play wifi rooms. The Link xat is very active.:bee:

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Edit: Disregard this, never knew this place got so inactive, before i left :x

Rizen

Smash Legend
sonic is godlike on wifi, offline is just meh
Sonic Storm completely owned me. Wifi Sonic is gooooood. I want to vs more Sonics and develop a decent Sonic of my own for better understanding. Sonic wouldn't be my secondary, not that I have one, but learning him will be a good experience. I royally fail with him.

@ Sonic boards: You guys are awesome. Thank you for being so helpful. You should revive your xat chat.

Top Bottom