• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

School is in Session 6: Road to Apex! Results Thread! BRACKETS UP! :D

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
best "rule" would be "if you accidentally pause you may be disqualified". It's better than losing a whole stock. What if you're at 0% and there's 30 seconds left, and they are at last stock 150% and you accidentally pause while still on the respawn cloud or something. Should they lose automatically? Obviously not.

only problem with this is people might try it on purpose, which is why I think there shouldn't be a rule about it at all. Stuff like this can't be ruled upon that well unless you wanna go overboard. This isn't like schools where it's like "if you cheat on a test you get an F" these are local tournaments where accidents can happen

Overswarm

is laughing at you
That's a bunch of ****ing bull****

it's one thing if the hit actually hit them or not and it was a close game when they paused

it's another if someone is losing by 2 or 3 stocks to 1 with a small amount of time left and they pause by accident or lose, or some OBVIOUS situation where an accidental pause would change the match or be the decider

case by case should be decided by the TO

losing a whole stock because of an accidental pause is stupid, and the situation that it happens in matters a lot
As a TO I'll be sure to give you an automatic loss if you ever pause because, hey, the other guy was just going to kick it into high gear and win. It could happen. My opinion as a TO!

or

Just take the human element out of the equation entirely.

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
Taking the human element out of the equation entirely isn't necessarily the best approach, but normally it is the most efficient.

Review sometimes is necessary. One thing is clear: Pause needs to be turned off.

Hell, what if I pause and unpause really fast without anyone noticing mid-match while being CG'd. Then my opponent pauses and I'm like :troll: .

Tmacc

Smash Lord
Loved this tournament, great seeing everyone. Fun first tournament as all Wario.

Shoutouts later!

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Any rule that requires a case-by-case analysis is a bad rule.

You can quote me on that. Like this.

Any rule that requires a case-by-case analysis is a bad rule. - Overswarm
****ing died XD

Might just sig.
ahhh got ya. Blame tio. Lewll

:phone:
No, this isn't TIO's fault. It's how brackets work. It's based on what seed you get in pools. It's the placement you get for how you did in pools and bracket.

ShadowPhoenix951

Smash Ace
Infern, I don't think it was me that got OS. As a first seed, I think I just got a standard bye.

Also, before any shoutouts, I must ask this:

Did anyone grab a black Wii from the venue? Because if so, that would be my Wii.

ShadowPhoenix951

Smash Ace
Okay, thanks Oreo. I was totally scatterbrained when I left, and forgot it was there. Now how to actually get it... Would any Cinci players be willing to pick it up and ship it to me? I'll pay shipping costs.

KassandraNova

Smash Master
3DS FC
4167-5079-1850
Someone said Shugo only dropped one game this whole tournament, way to go Shugo, although I wonder who it was to...?
I knew you were going to post this. LMAO

Did you ask for chocolate, gifts? I don't remember.

The bracket was kinda weird, I was kinda hoping I'd get to play people who I've never played before, but nope. Oh well. Shoulda tried harder in poolz. I really wanted to play Coney. I haven't played against a D3 in years. :/

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
I get what your saying OS but I'll give you the same discussion I gave the BBRRC when I was in it.

What if I'm at 140% with 2 stocks and my opponent is at 20% last stock and I throw my opponent off the stage and pause then unpause to F up his recovery and he dies because of it?

At least with those current rules I should win the match.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
I get what your saying OS but I'll give you the same discussion I gave the BBRRC when I was in it.

What if I'm at 140% with 2 stocks and my opponent is at 20% last stock and I throw my opponent off the stage and pause then unpause to F up his recovery and he dies because of it?

At least with those current rules I should win the match.
Gotta play to win.

Thanks for this new tech.

Also, didn't go, but still:

Good **** to Coney, Judo, Nicole, Logic, and to Shugo for winning
Shoutouts to Top not having MKs, makes it a lot more enjoyable to watch.

EDIT: ****, the rules do say you lose two stocks. I'm salty

Tesh

Smash Hero
Doesn't the rule state that you lose 2 stocks if your pause causes your opponent to die?

Hael Phael

Smash Ace
I just want to say, big time shoutouts to my boy Judo for repping his character like no other and giving me a big chunk of hype over this weekend.

Also Kassandranova I am super duper proud of you, I watched you body KB and show him how we aren't free here in KY.

Nicole good **** on getting 2nd, your matches had me super hyped you were on fire.

good stuff to Shugo

After sitting at home and watching this I realized I would rather be there so I don't think I'm going to go through with this whole retirement thing

Hael Phael

Smash Ace
to be fair there were like what 2 mks at this tourney maybe 3? i mean the really good ones weren't even here no offense to kel or anyone else

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
I was freaking out at the venue.

Shugo, Kel are among the really good MK's in our region and as for the other region that came out: MD/VD there's Omni (arguable), NEO (mostly Marth iirc) and Junebug. Outside of Junebug (because he's a national level player) and Shugo there aren't national level MK at all. Kel is also arguable, I think.

Plus, you know, the Midwest is kind of known for character diversity among it's top players.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
I'm actually quite upset how things went down. TOs are not supposed to be bias and Day was clearly bias. She said multiple times, "guys I want Judo to win!" The reason rules like this are put into place is so the player doesn't have to take responsibility for the out come.

This is what should've happened.

1. Judo pauses.
  2. Day tells everyone to chill as she looks up the rule set
  3. The rule set clearly states that Logic wins.
  4. Day gives Logic the win
  5. Everyone gets mad at the rule set, not any player

It's completely messed up to put the responsibility of the out come on the player when the rule set clearly states what should happen. How can you ask a player to choose between honor and money? You should not put that decision on ANY player. The only reason to tell a player that they can give the win to their opponent if they want to is so that:

you can put the responsibility on him and take it off yourself. So instead of

"Day gave Logic the win!? Whyyyyy?" It's now,

"Logic took the win from Judo!? What a jerk"

This should NOT have happened. Logic should not have been asked to choose. Even if Logic wanted to give Judo the win Day should've given Logic the win.

tldr; follow the rules. Don't put any tournament decision on any player. Man up and take the hit yourself instead of having the player take the hit.

I'm not trying to hate on Day. I just hated how she handled the situation. She told multiple people she wanted Judo to win and she kept begging Logic to give Judo the win. she even misquoted the rule set multiple times(I don't think this was on purpose) to make it so Judo would win. IE, "Judo isn't supposed to lose his stock for pausing until the next match, thus he wins the set"

Kel

Smash Master
There also isn't a rule that says I cant punch a dude in the face

There also isn't a rule that says "you can't push your opponents pause button- causing him to lose"

You guys better watch out next tournament! I've got the real EC strats now!

VGBootcamp was supposed to have the game setting set up upon starting up the game. The wii was hacked and the game started at 3 stocks, 8 minute timer, with team attack on. Logic has no pause button. Coney and GIMR were clearly for Logic "winning" that game. Conspiracy? Logic hopes a player will hit the pause button knowing that the game settings are not correctly set up while removing his own pause button in order to avoid the situation for himself? Anything is fair game if it's not in da rules!

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer

There also isn't a rule that says "you can't push your opponents pause button- causing him to lose"
Those aren't rules because they're norms.

KassandraNova

Smash Master
3DS FC
4167-5079-1850
to be fair there were like what 2 mks at this tourney maybe 3? i mean the really good ones weren't even here no offense to kel or anyone else
Kel is a really good MK, he just doesn't care about this game, and he's rusty because of the bug game. :p
I'm sorry, I'll try to be really good next time I promise. lmao
I knew you wouldn't quit Hael. ;P

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR

You guys better watch out next tournament! I've got the real EC strats now!

VGBootcamp was supposed to have the game setting set up upon starting up the game. The wii was hacked and the game started at 3 stocks, 8 minute timer, with team attack on. Logic has no pause button. Coney and GIMR were clearly for Logic "winning" that game. Conspiracy? Logic hopes a player will hit the pause button knowing that the game settings are not correctly set up while removing his own pause button in order to avoid the situation for himself? Anything is fair game if it's not in da rules!
I'm hoping this whole post is a joke. If not, go ahead and punch some one. But when you get arrested don't complain to the police about how it wasn't in the rule set. Also, please don't bring VGBootCamp up even if it was a joke. We didn't do anything. The rule set clearly states that it's up to the players to make sure pause is off. Also, I told Logic I would've given Judo the win, but at the same time, like I said before, the player shouldn't even be allowed to make that decision. The rules should just be followed so no one or nothing can be blamed for the out come except for the rule set.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
I'm pretty sure it's a joke and for the record I agree with what gimr said previously about not liking how the situation was handled.

You gotta follow what you have in "stone". Sucks that judo got hurt by it... It was an amazing set.

MVD

Smash Master
Lots of reading to do BAN MK GUYS HE CLEARLY *****

Why did I get an infraction? Is freedom of speech frowned upon on this site now? We can all **** talk logic but we can't talk about MK being potentially banned

Top Bottom