• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

School is in Session 6: Road to Apex! Results Thread! BRACKETS UP! :D

Zano

Smash Master
NNID
DuelistZano
Hopefully pause off can just be a standard part of the ruleset and this **** doesn't have to happen in the first place.

Can't be that hard to go to the options and select off for pause : /

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
We (The Ruleset Committee) will be discussing this issue and finding a solution to it very soon. I was disappointed in the ruling and we can't really leave any more ambiguities with a potential issue that seems to continuously pop up in major events.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
"Pause should be turned off prior to a match. If pause is left on, whether intentionally or not, this implies an agreement on both parties that pausing is only punishable by the TO on a case-to-case basis (such as during frequent, intentional pausing, pausing during a CG or combo to break it, etc.) rather than a direct result of pausing."

Players should be cognizant of this rule and be held responsible for each match of their set, as it is impossible for the TO to guarantee that pause will be turned off on any particular station.

I just saved you guys like a zillion years of work.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
It would be stupid for Pyronic to get any hate for this. I love Judo, but if it was my tournament, there wouldn't have even been a second chance, haha. Pyronic would have been awarded the win because of the broken rule. Rules are rules. But while Judo's my boy, I'm glad to see the situation handled as it was. It would be stupid for an exception to be made, and he understands this. I'd say I felt bad for Judo, but I know he wouldn't want that.

That said, good **** AJ messin people up. Glad to see you still dishin it out. We've do something, next time you're in Louisville.

Same to Pyronic, good stuff. Getting closer to your goal.

Good stuff to Kel, Hades, Ludakryz

Tutu/Roller: Get outplaced by Judo, Kassandra, Eric, and SP. <3 ya both but DAMN.

pwiito

Banned via Warnings
Basically Judo won the match but he paused, the rule itself states that the moment u pause, u loose. Judo outplayed and beat logic in every other aspect except he paused so skill negated, auto lose

Judo777

Smash Master
For clarification, you CAN do things out of a wind hit box. And Logic did. What happened was I vanish, and then "caught", term used to describe catching with wind box, Logic. Logic was DIing the vanish and when hit by the wind BUFFERED an uair. At this point sue to the fact that wind stop all of your momentum he could not drift far enough away to avoid the move and he was still in uairs animation. Not sure if the puase happened before or after the hit, but I know that given the uair it was inescapable.

The setup itself however is NOT inescapable.

Pyronic_Star

Smash Champion
the current pause rule is fine, people just need turn it off, otherwise it will be abused in other more common ways.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
that makes him the 3rd person i know in VvV that willingly won a game due only to pausing when otherwise would have lost.

this is exactly why "official" rules like no pausing shouldn't be this way. When some situations are very obvious, such as the result GUARANTEED to be the same (or in other cases 99.9% likely) like already dying or clearly dead, like this case. I haven't seen the video yet, but from what people here and on facebook are saying, the result was guaranteed to be the same either way (he was dead). For future reference, a TO should be the decider of these situations (even though some may be biased most will not, and it's still better than this) instead of having an official rule for it which can be very flawed.

omni - yeah i keep editing instead of double posting like i used to
1. It's vVv not VvV

2. He hasn't been with us for a while

There's no one to blame but the TO here, not Logic

so just to shine light on what went through my head...

i was fully aware that taking the win is morally wrong and that i would receive a lot of hate for it. at the end of the day i had to ask myself what is my job as a competitor... and that's to win by any means within the rules. if this was a local, i wouldn't have taken the win but it was a large event and to top it off the 4 players left in the bracket i was fully capable of beating... i'm very good against snake, that was the first day i ever lost to nicole in tourny, me and shugo are 1-1 and i have a winning record against conney. with that being said, i felt that taking the win and wining the tourny (around $350) would have been worth it... i mean i just made a 19 hour trip and had to pay over $100. due to those thoughts, i knew that i would regret blowing a chance at $350 more than the hate i would receive for taking the victory. that was my view on it and why i made the decision that i did. i did play him again to try to make it slightly more honorable opposed to taking the win. i suggested at one point but neither of them heard me or day was deciding on either just a win/lost ant that was it. so later when he suggested it i said that was fine with no hesitation *shrugs*

now to actually talk about what occurred, the vid shows that he paused as i was hit... but shieks up-smash has two hit boxes and i know it has been said that you can't sdi it or w/e but i don't actually know that, and another player claims he does it all the time. i was at 103 when i was hit also and supposedly it kills at 90 but eh :/ was there a chance that i could have lived, yes. was it likely, no.
Day didn't want to give me the win, but tbh... i never should have had to even make the decision. there is a rule in place and i actually should have even been given the option to give judo the win due to the fact that the rule was broken. granted this was an extreme circumstance and very unfortunate one for judo, every player has the option to request pause off and the request can't be denied, i actually took my start button out so i will never have to worry about this situation ever.

and for the people saying they wouldn't have done it in my situation... i actually would like to see someone shove $350 in your face and you say no (granted i lost, that is how i looked at the situation).
and if the roles were switched, would i be mad... yes! but it'd be more a mix of anger at the rule/myself. i never fault a player for doing anything within the rules to beat me, if it's legal, i as a player should be fully aware of it and accept any consequence for breaking a rule since i entered the event knowing the ruleset. to clarify again, this last section is directed to people speaking about the situation, not judo.

as messed up as this sounds... judo, i apologize for taking the win and not winning the rest of the event. i thought i would win, and that would make it worth it, obviously i lost... and thus it wasn't.
This.

http://allisbrawl.com/blogpost.aspx?id=124715

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
I think Alpha Zealot hit it on the head on this one- Pause is a loss of stock, but players may request to turn off Pause at request. This I believe is post MLG and is the standard in unity but I haven't checked in a while.

Edit: Chibo pretty much hits it right on the head also. I would've definitely done the same thing as Logic here. I have some of the best survival DI in Maryland (despite me being awful at everything else), I'm pretty sure I can live a sheik usmash (just the top part that has the knock back) at 90, but the full thing I doubt it, but who can say.

I've also definitely paused on accident dacus'ing before so I feel Judo's pain.

clowsui

Smash Legend
infern getting exposed for bad habits? back to training for you

nicool nice job

shuggybear lotsa hugs bb, good ****

i'm maining marth after this, not like i'm going to many tournaments again ever but i have a lot of fun with marth and i think a lot of people at this tournament that i played will attest to my marth being on roughly the same level w regards to a lot of matchups

it was nice seeing everyone on saturday. sorry for leaving w/out telling anyone

my boy judo getting 7th. can't blame logic for what he did but i'm still kinda peeved lol

shoutouts to everyone. had fun at this day

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
Hmmm this is a tricky situation, logic just told me on aim that it was right after he got hit, and it was at a debatably killing %. I'm not sure what I'd do in this situation, I guess I'd have to see it or be there, but idk the MU enough to make a 100% positive opinion so I'm gonna drop out of this argument. I still say the pause rule should be changed though. I guess that is just an unfortunate sitation.

any situation where one player pauses at like 0%, by accident, and it obviously doesn't really affect anything... THESE are the reasons the pause rule shouldn't exist

BPx

Smash Lord
i literally just got home. i hope you guys enjoyed sleep last night, I SURE DIDN'T!

awesome tourney, shoutouts later

D

Deleted member

Regardless of whether Judo deserved the win or not [and I think we all can agree that he virtually won the set] you can't blame Logic for what has happened. By the way the ruleset is defined Logic was the rightful winner of the set and even then he agreed to do the rematch, something he didn't have to do as he could've just claimed the win. I don't know what kind of person he is but going against the rules just to give Judo another chance was a pretty legit move on his part.

This is the same fallacy as people accusing M2K for taking free wins via planking. No, the players aren't the ones to blame. It's the people who created the ruleset and those who agreed to use it that are responsible. Improve the rules and stop blaming the individuals that are affected in an unfortunate manner.

:059:
I'm completely agreeing with Gheb here. I know that the clear winner of the game should have been Judo, but he accidentally hit the pause button when he mashed up on the c-stick. The hit connected, yes, but the GAME was not on screen at the end, which is all that matters.

Trust me here, it's a heartbreaking loss to see, and I wish that pause didn't happen, but you guys shouldn't be blaming Logic for this(at least he gave Judo a rematch), nor should you blame Daycia. She ruled according to the current Unity Ruleset, so where does the fault lie here?

The Unity Ruleset Version 1.4

You all should be taking your arguments there to get this rule amended.

But honestly, this is a results thread and I had a really great time at this tournament. It's sad to see it end with a big argument, so can we get some shoutouts in here?

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
:sheik:'s Usmash tippered kills hella early. She kills :wolf: and :wario: around 90% so :olimar: should die much earlier even with godlike DI.

:018:

:phone:

KassandraNova

Smash Master
3DS FC
4167-5079-1850
Especially a shoutout to Nicole for, I believe, being the first female to win money, in open singles, at a regional smash event. I'm almost sure it's never been done in any Smash game, but nearly certain that it hasn't happened in Brawl.

What are you talking about Cheese? Princess Aura is the first female "Regional Smash Champion", that's how she got on that T.V. show WCG ultimate gamer.
:troll:

All jokes aside, you did really well Nicole. I really wanted you to win this tournament, because all the womenz and the Peachs needed this. :) You're very inspiring! Also thank you for supporting me through some of my tough bracket matches, haha I hope my cheering for you wasn't too annoying. lmao

I'm also really proud that Judo did so well. You've always been a great player, I'm happy that everyone is finally starting to take notice of this. I'm still going to kill you for pausing. ^_^

Also Tutu, I hope you're feeling better man, because you scared the **** outta me. O_o I thought you were dead or something...lmao

To the haters, I may not have done that well at this, but I ****ed up the two people in Bracket who I wanted to **** up. <3
:yeahboi:

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
Cincinnati, Ohio ; Land of Happiness and Kindness
NNID
Daylightful
Me, Judo, and Logic watched the video where he paused and saw that Logic would have certainly died. Not only that, Judo and Logic tested it and indeed Logic died when it was tested.

As much as I want discussion to this to go on, I want to mostly focus on fixing or working with the pausing rule. I would love to hear suggestions and ideas on what would work and what we can do.

Also @Logic, If the rematch wasn't done, I honestly had no idea what to do. Saying I wasn't going to give you the win isn't true. I was very unsure on giving either of you the win. Even if I wanted Judo to win, doesn't mean I was going to give it to him. In the end, you both agree on doing the rematch (which you didn't have to do) and I appreciate you and Judo willing to do so. I apologize to both players having to deal with said situation, and my main goal right now is to find a way to avoid this in the future.

Infern Angelis

Smash Master
I like both Judo and Logic, so ill support both cases.

If it was me, I would have let Judo get the win, it be bad sportmanship to take it from him.

However if I was playing someone like M2K and he paused like that, free win /swag

Pyronic_Star

Smash Champion
when i stated i wanted the win, you said "i am 85% sure i am going to give the win to judo" and you were trying to convince me to give it to him-.-
i'm not throwing you under the bus by any means cause you're my friend, but those were your words

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
I like both Judo and Logic, so ill support both cases.

If it was me, I would have let Judo get the win, it be bad sportmanship to take it from him.

However if I was playing someone like M2K and he paused like that, free win /swag
Lmao.

My thoughts exactly.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I just want to know who got byes from me. I better have been put into bracket! I wanted to deny someone the chance to play! =P

D

Deleted member

1: Shugo - Didn't get a chance to talk to ya much this tourney. I wanted to hang out with you Saturday night, but you didn't respond to my texts, but whatever. I knew you'd score the #1 spot!

2: Nicole - My favorite God Kai to play. My God, your Peach is wicked! I'm so happy you got second. My only regret is that I didn't have a chance to play you again as Wolf, but I'm happy with how my Lucario fared. I look forward to seeing you again!

3: Infern - God Kai number #3 on these results. Good stuff!

4: Logic - Hey man, don't let the players get to you. You were only following rules and this definitely isn't your fault by any means. In the end, it was your game. I had a lot of fun fighting your Meta Knight. Olimar....yeah, I'm clueless on how to play that character, but now I know that Lucario is a horrible choice to make against it when I have Wolf.

5: Krystedez - Didn't get a chance to talk or play with you. Maybe next time. :<

5: Zak - Coney! Just curious, but why did you change your Smashboards name to simply Zak? Are you trying to get rid of Coney as a tag all together?

7: Kain - Aw...come on Kain! I thought you'd place much better than this! Then again, I don't know what your bracket looked like...

7: Judo - Congrats on 7th! While I have to agree with the current rules in that Logic won, I still think you can say that you've beaten logic, just with a technicality that didn't advance you in bracket. :p

9: Kel - Too bad that DDR tourney didn't happen. Would have been free money for us. :3

9: Sparta Kick - I saw you fight Rikku and cringed. You're so good.

13: HadesBlade - Oh you Yoshi's....

13: GIMR - Thanks for running the stream at this!

17: y.b.M - Never Hold Back!

17: Kassandra Nova - Looks like you did pretty well. Congrats!

17: Ripple - Ugh...I was so frustrated by the end of that set. I have a block on DK...he's such a scary character for me to face, and I pretty much don't know what to do when you dance around me. I'm in a constant state of panic...lol.

25: Ori_Bro - Too bad Mafia didn't happen. I know you were excited about it, as was I.

25: Tutu - Wendy's!

25: TKBro - Sorry I didn't make it to the club(assuming you went). I tried to get in touch with Shugo, but yeah...lol.

25: MX - Man, you should have tried DDR!

25: Oreo - You seem to be getting better to me.

33: TheKiest - RIGHT?!?

33: Foraward Air Rage - Yeah....Yoshi vs. Wolf isn't as bad as you guys think. Your mobility really throws me for a loop, so I had to go Lucario. I really wanted to switch to Wolf for game 3, but you made a mistake and picked your character before you named your counterpick. I didn't want to be an ***, so I just played it out and lost...I'll definitely be going by the rules next time.

33: DtJ Composer - No boy crazy?

33: King Beef - Man, check out that Peach at #2. Don't you miss the princess at all?

33: Luminoth - More :wolf: less :metaknight:. That tattoo is incredible, by the way.

33: Sorasin - Nice seeing ya.

33: Tech_Chase - Didn't get to go to the club with you guys. I was dressed up, too. :(

49: Rikku - I told you that you did better than me! :p Your practicing this past week really paid off.

49: Juu - Nice seeing you POPS...I mean...JUU!

49: Radium - I'm really glad you came to this and that I got to play you! I look forward to seeing you at the next SiiS, and maybe Apex!

49: Blind Man - Yeah, the name says it all when it comes to DDR. Sorry that it didn't have the option to darken the screen for ya, but it was fun playing you!

49: Lokii - Thank you soooo much for the ride downtown! Me, Hunky, and POPS all made it back safe and sound thanks to you. I'll pay you back that $1 at our next tourney together!
61: Auspher - So out of practice....I had hopes I could make it out of pools at this..but I messed up bad. :(

61: Denzie - How to Train Your Dragon is an amazing movie! I approve of us watching it in the hotel. :)

61: Tedium - You'll get better. Just keep trying!

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
Truthfully speaking, I would've let him take the win. $300+ or not, it was inevitable. Tipper USmash kills like 20+ characters between 80%-105% with DI.

Sure, Logic looks like the hugest boner for the decision he made but he admitted that he knew he was dead and that he plays to win and that alone should've let people know that Judo wasn't getting the W.

I feel bad for Judo because it was an accident, he wouldn't jeopardize his chance at winning like that. I do agree that "Inevitable Defeat" rule needs to be implemented because it's only the logical thing to do. If you're dead, you're dead. No johns about it. However, it would have to be made to deal with situations like Ice Climbers because dropped grabs are possible at ANY percent and it's not always guaranteed death.

Also, for those of you who booed Logic, it was really uncalled for. Yes, he made a **** move and it was unfavorable for Judo but booing him only makes you guys look like even bigger ****s.

Shoutouts in a bit.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I feel bad for Judo because it was an accident, he wouldn't jeopardize his chance at winning like that. I do agree that "Inevitable Defeat" rule needs to be implemented because it's only the logical thing to do. If you're dead, you're dead. No johns about it. However, it would have to be made to deal with situations like Ice Climbers because dropped grabs are possible at ANY percent and it's not always guaranteed death.
Any rule that requires a case-by-case analysis is a bad rule.

You can quote me on that. Like this.

Any rule that requires a case-by-case analysis is a bad rule. - Overswarm

Simply make it the players responsibility to know that pause is turned off, and that pause not being turned off means pausing is not a punishable offense except when done deliberately or in excess, as determined by the TO.

The only time "case-by-case analysis" is required is when someone is repeatedly pausing or if they're doing something really shady. Pausing as YOU are killing someone isn't exactly shady; at worst it's gloating. Situations like this would just be someone saying "Shoulda turned off pause, don't complain" and then an unpause.

D

Deleted member

Oh yeah, and a shoutout to Overswarm and Stephanie for that amazing bead art!! I'm in love with my Mewtwo and Wolf.

Gifts

¡Me gusta tejer!
I heard someone say it was ShadowPhoenix but not 100% sure, brackets were weird
Bracket wasnt seeded right. From the top of my head i can remember tech vs lumi both 3rd seeds (according to tech) playing each other 1st round. There where others too because i remember mikey a third seed played a fourth seed 1st round.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Today explained that since it was a 48 man bracket Tio generated a 64 man so there were 16 byes. Thats why some 3rds played some 3rds and 4ths instead of 2nds. It makes sense now.

Also Kassandra you didnt **** up Roller. You get two stocked after you two stock him and you BARELY won on Rainbow even after he SDed on his first stock. A win's a win though.

Gifts

¡Me gusta tejer!
Today explained that since it was a 48 man bracket Tio generated a 64 man so there were 16 byes. Thats why some 3rds played some 3rds and 4ths instead of 2nds. It makes sense now.

Also Kassandra you didnt **** up Roller. You get two stocked after you two stock him and you BARELY won on Rainbow even after he SDed on his first stock. A win's a win though.

ahhh got ya. Blame tio. Lewll

Rabbi Nevins

Smash Lord
yo raise yo hand if you like booty
--Prophet Gio

no smash tournament in the history of smash has had no complaints about seeding. Whys everyone *****ing about pausing, dont be cocky and pause end of story. If you have a tendency to pause after THE ***** occur (lain status) then just turn it off. rules is rules *****

whats important is the ****. not the win

THE RABBI SPEAKS TRUTH

KassandraNova

Smash Master
3DS FC
4167-5079-1850

Oh, but I'm supposed to be garbage at this game, and stupid for being upset over dead people remember? I'm sure your cheering against me did help him get some bs kills. But whatever, I WON, he lost.

I'm better than him, he deserves to lose after trolling me about my family issue. Get the **** over it. ;)

Also Tutu, I hope you're feeling better man, because you scared the **** outta me. O_o I thought you were dead or something...lmao
:yeahboi:
Yoooo I'm feeling a lot better now, thanks for looking out for me.

Tutu/Roller: Get outplaced by Judo, Kassandra, Eric, and SP. <3 ya both but DAMN.
Mr.Eric is legit. I'm really mad at myself because i ****ed up a chance to play a real set against him.

Oh, but I'm supposed to be garbage at this game, and stupid for being upset over dead people remember? I'm sure your cheering against me did help him get some bs kills. But whatever, I WON, he lost.

I'm better than him. Get the **** over it. ;)
The set was close and roller could have won game 3. It was a really good set/close between two people of roughly equal skill.

Composer/Kassandra/Gifts- Thanks for looking after me during the tournament, I super ****ed up saturday night.

Mr. Eric- Hopefully we will be able to play a real set sometime.

Judo- You were playing super well, I wasn't giving you nearly enough credit.

I'm overall sad that MI vs KY crews didn't happen, but I can understand the wanna get back home feeling.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
Any rule that requires a case-by-case analysis is a bad rule.

You can quote me on that. Like this.

Any rule that requires a case-by-case analysis is a bad rule. - Overswarm
That's a bunch of ****ing bull****

it's one thing if the hit actually hit them or not and it was a close game when they paused

it's another if someone is losing by 2 or 3 stocks to 1 with a small amount of time left and they pause by accident or lose, or some OBVIOUS situation where an accidental pause would change the match or be the decider

case by case should be decided by the TO

losing a whole stock because of an accidental pause is stupid, and the situation that it happens in matters a lot

Top Bottom