• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Q&A!! Read this before asking questions...ALL OF IT!

Sudai

Stuff here
Does ROB's dair count as an autofastfall when c-sticked during vertical knockback?

Or do you really have to use another aerial?
DAir does auto-fast fall, but you're still better off using other methods. FAir > Side-B when worried about horizontal death, FAir > BAir when worried about vertical death.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
DAir does auto-fast fall, but you're still better off using other methods. FAir > Side-B when worried about horizontal death, FAir > BAir when worried about vertical death.
Yeah just saw it, perhaps I should just test things rather than ask them on the boards.

Yes, fair > roflcopter is legit.

Darth Waffles

Smash Lord
Fair>WAFFLEcopter works for horizontal knockback

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Rqxx74MclI
Unnecessarily long video but the part where GwJ actually survives makes it worth it

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=241753
The thread behind it, where we figured that fair's little momentum-reduction is worth the extra 8 frames you wouldn't have if you airdodged>Side B

Edit: For vertical, Airdodge>Bair beats Airdodge>Wafflecopter ~Fail alert-->by 1%<--End Fail alert: It's a lot more than 1%~ consistently when I fastfall the Bair by holding down the control stick(and 0% when I don't) Sudai knows his stuff. =P I'm trying Fair>Bair vs Fair>Wafflecopter now

Second Edit: I may be on to something here.

Fun facts so far: 1) Sudai doesn't know his stuff. I think my results are finding that Dair is BETTER than fair/side B for vertical knockback =P. I'm not done yet, but it's pretty interesting so far. 2) I'm testing this with Snake's uptilt which sends ROB up and a little behind Snake. Holding Down on the control stick makes ROB get star KO'd faster than only holding down as soon as the aerial comes out (to fast-fall it), with any aerial. I feel like I should know this, but I'm not sure why, especially since I've always been told that holding the direction opposite the knockback (where the hit came from) didn't help you ("had no effect"). I don't think I ever heard that it hurts you.

Anyway, still going at this

Third Edit: Corrected some stuff and tried new stuff. Airdodge>Fair and Airdodge>Dair both destroy side-B when it comes to vertical momentum. Between the two aerials, they both beat out Airdodge>Bair and Airdodge>Nair. It turns out that they also both tie with each other and Airdodge>UPAIR. All three of them lasted until the same percent where I couldn't survive any longer, but to be honest, I felt that I was closest to surviving one percent higher with Airdodge>upair followed by Airdodge Dair. Both of them seemed easier to do anyway.

Of course, none of this actually matters because you can do aerials out of hitstun anyway and I know that upair obviously lets you live longer than airdodge>upair. I guess I'm hoping the relative efficiencies of each aerial will carry over without the airdodge, since there are a lot more possibilities now besides just fair>Bair vs fair>side B (SideB fails at saving you from going off the top. It works but it takes too long, unlike horizontal where its effectiveness is enough to make it the best choice compared to any other aerial after the fair**. Time to try fair>other aerials, dair>others and uair>others. Nobody really tested any of this out?

**Kind of like how Link's Dair is actually better in some cases (horizontal, similar to ROB's side B) even though it takes longer than around two of his Bairs. Even though it's slower, Dair does enough to help you whereas you can't do anything helpful after the Backair- you're still flying the same way.

Fourth Edit: I don't know if I can re-test other aerials>Side B for horizontal until I'm done with this, so if someone else can do that reliably, go ahead.

Fifth Edit: I'll be back in a bit- but I haven't found any combination of aerials to be more effective so far. You can fit 2.5 fairs in the same time as a little more than 1 upair on the largest stage before you die, but neither of them help/hurt any more than fair/Bair or even Bair>fair. I guess I'll try again when I get back. Oh, and Nair is horrible

--Meh, taking a shower and eating a banana pretty much ruined by DI/aerial mashing control. Maybe I'll keep going with this tomorrow.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Yes, it's an auto fastfall. It doesn't look like it, but it is. You need to use Fair and if you have time, Side-B.

Ochobobo

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1075-1052-5472
What are the different ways ROB can get up from the ledge? It looks as if he has quite a few options... (I'm assuming I might be missing some, lol)

Which is most often used?

Deadweight

Smash Ace
What are the different ways ROB can get up from the ledge? It looks as if he has quite a few options... (I'm assuming I might be missing some, lol)

Which is most often used?
Drop down U-air
back off laser
back off gyro
drop down nair
go under the stage

Mag!c

Smash Apprentice
How do I depattern and get back on track? During a match, lately, I've noticed I'm patterning and my playing is getting stale. When I try to mix it up though, I end up failing horribly or making that my new pattern 'because it works'. Is there any kind of mindset/practice method to avoid this kind of stuff?

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Depends who it's against. Some characters like MK can just follow you and stage spike you, but others it works. You just need to think, "Do I have more than enough fuel to make it and does the opponent have the tools to hit me before I reach the ledge?"

Mr.E

Smash Lord
If you're already on the ledge, I really don't much see the point in doing it. If you're recovering offstage from the opponent's blow and they're aggressively edgeguarding, like MK often does, then you can get away with straight-up going under their edgeguard and beating them to the opposite ledge.

Sushi-Man

Smash Ace
Few questions:

1) If Rob shields a grounded shuttle-loop from an mk, does Rob have a guaranteed up-smash?

2) Does Rob's f-tilt outrange mk's f-tilt/d-tilt? If it does, what is mk's best OOS option against a perfectly spaced f-tilt?

stingers

Smash Obsessed
1. if he cancels it asap i'm 99% sure that's a no. in fact i think the only thing we can do is dash attack in that case.
2. yes, but you can grab it because the move isnt that fast lol...and its not all disjointed (only the tip is iirc) so you can just hit us out of it...

Darth Waffles

Smash Lord
1) I think HugS said no awhile ago in one of his "ROB has a low ceiling /hope" posts, but I'm not positive if he's right on that, as people have certainly gotten it off when being really close to start out (example: Ninjalink vs Ksizzle at 6:15) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNCuiXZDVT0&feature=channel_page)

2) I believe it just *barely* outranges them but it also comes out in 7 frames whereas MK's dtilt is like 3-4 frames, so a clash between the two might not happen often.

HugS™

Smash Lord
Darth, Ksizzle didn't cancel out the up B as early as he could have, in fact, he didn't cancel it at all. He started gliding after the upB, making it an easy hit for NinjaLink.

The MK messed up, it shouldn't connect otherwise.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Dthrow > Uair
Close range Dash attack > Multiple Utilts > Usmash/Uair (The dash attack is hard to land)
laser
gyro
camping bairs

Next question?

buenob

Smash Lord
jab > downtilt (trip) -> dash attack is key... either usmash or dthrow > dair...

ksizl4life

Smash Hero
Darth, Ksizzle didn't cancel out the up B as early as he could have, in fact, he didn't cancel it at all. He started gliding after the upB, making it an easy hit for NinjaLink.

The MK messed up, it shouldn't connect otherwise.
I couldnt cancel it. i didnt mess up and if your talking about the up b to down b cancel that i think mike haze discovered and m2k showed me, i didnt know about it at the time. w/e i wont lose to rob anymore. and why dont you guys look at the 2nd match of that set? i forgot to strike fd first game like an idiot and ***** him 2nd game.

hdrevolution123

Smash Ace
I main Marth and I decided my secondary should be ROB, dark blue coloured who uses side taunt only when possible.

Since I main marth I'm obvious familiar with the concept of right spacing and pressuring, in ROB's case real projectiles are included.

So far i've merely read the community guide for ROB but of course i wanna take ROB to the next level.

Are there any other more tactical and in depth threads I should read about ROB? Note that though I'm a noob player I'm not an inexperienced one so if any advanced tactical threads exist please send me to them. Also do you have an advanced matchup guide including corresponding vids of each matchup in action?

I wanna up my game. Is there any form of training I can do? I will handle stage CPs along with matchups on my own.

THanks

TheMike

Smash Lord
I main Marth and I decided my secondary should be ROB, dark blue coloured who uses side taunt only when possible.

Since I main marth I'm obvious familiar with the concept of right spacing and pressuring, in ROB's case real projectiles are included.

So far i've merely read the community guide for ROB but of course i wanna take ROB to the next level.

Are there any other more tactical and in depth threads I should read about ROB? Note that though I'm a noob player I'm not an inexperienced one so if any advanced tactical threads exist please send me to them. Also do you have an advanced matchup guide including corresponding vids of each matchup in action?

I wanna up my game. Is there any form of training I can do? I will handle stage CPs along with matchups on my own.

THanks
First, welcome to ROB Boards =D

The Thread where thee are other important ones is this --> http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=232327

Match-ups with vids of each one there isn't, but there this thread wih some vids --> http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=245497

And if u wannasee some math-ups discussion, go here --> http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=231033

Just watch vis and train =X

buenob

Smash Lord
unlike marth, rob is options... if you play properly, your opponent should constantly be thinking "**** I can be hit right now"...

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I'm thinking that it might start out with a certain number of seconds already in the timer, so that's probably why it would if it does.

buenob

Smash Lord
would the count-in start the charge timer?
edit: does this help wario's fart too?

stingers

Smash Obsessed
it doesn't matter, it charges way faster. i have full powered lasers like...14 seconds in, is when I usually notice it.

the countdown is only 3 seconds, so that's not it

Darth Waffles

Smash Lord
I think I noticed this a long time ago and never really bothered to find out, so now I'm interested again lol. Kind of like trying to figure out exactly what makes the crowd chant, I just let it go and accepted it

buenob

Smash Lord
LOL, I would definitely spam "plus-to-chant" actions all the time... R-O-B-ROB!!!!!!!

if no one gets around to testing it, i'll do it on monday... the laser charge... not the chanting...

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
I've heard that ROB has some problems regarding his footstool animation. I know there's the ZSS footstool infinite, and I've heard that Captain Falcon has some kind of footstool combo on him, but that's all I know. Anything I've missed? And also, what is the Captain Falcon footstool combo?

Sudai

Stuff here
First hit NAir > FSJ > Fast-Fall'd, Weak-Hit BAir > Loop

I don't think there's any other ******** infinites on us, but I'm honestly not sure. I'm sure there's more out there, people just need to find them.

Top Bottom