• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Q&A!! Read this before asking questions...ALL OF IT!

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
Possible U-smash Set-up??

I'm sure this has been tried before, but- thought I'd mention it as I never really thought about doing it myself until recently.

What about jab->U-tilt (weak hitbox)-> jab(??) Utilt(??) set-up. They would start to DI the jab, expecting another, the U-tilt pulls them in a bit, another jab kind of resets them. If they jump out of the jab you can sneak in the U-smash. The "additional" jab->U-tilt is listed just incase it depends on knockback/damage, in that at a certain % maybe the second one isn't needed to position them correctly.

Just a thought, maybe someone would wanna test this out a bit?

TEECO

Smash Ace
I'm not sure about that.. It would be awesome if this worked.

I see it only working on bigger opponents like DK, DDD, Bowser.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
is jab utilt guaranteed? tbqh i've never tried it before, seems kind of silly...
Not for sure... just theorycrafting (hence if someone could fuggz with it some that'd be great), but the 1-2 jab is usually guaranteed. If they escape between jabs, its usually from jumping... in which case, the U-tilt theoretically should pull them down. Ive used it, but I don't know if its a "trap" or if my opponent just didnt see it coming or what. But, the jab is 3 frames (or does it hit on 3 frames?) and the U-tilt is 4 (again with the 'or does it hit on frame 4')... which, is only a frame diff.

I'm not sure about that.. It would be awesome if this worked.

I see it only working on bigger opponents like DK, DDD, Bowser.
I'll play around with it on some others, but I originally thought of it when playing a Bowser. But, it'd be swell to have a possible KO option out of a flubbed/non-frameperfect DDD CG. Odds are, it would only work on taller/heavier chars, as the smaller ones (cough MK) are hard to get into the "soft" hitbox.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
Also, maybe another variation of this (more applicable to say... a snake) is to just weak u-tilt and then read the read what they do.

Again, not claiming any of this works... just throwing this out there.

TEECO

Smash Ace
Word.

All new ideas/possibilities are the ****.

Out of all tall and heavy characters, I hope it works on Snake >__> Ill try it out tomorrow and leave feed back.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
blah, I can't get it to work on anyone other than Bowser, DDD, DK. Its imperative that the jab keep them close... and on every other char, it knocks them away.

;_;

As far as the soft U-tilt, it is too dependant on them sitting and taking at least two of them whil DI'ing up. Its possible to sneak a U-smash in once they are high enough, but- eh.

ZOM~B

Smash Journeyman
first hit Jab and first hit Uptilt are useful setups. I know I'll often do first hit uptilt into fsmash, especially on spacies.

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
You think I could get some opinions on the overall ROB vs. Mario Match-Up, but from a ROB's point of view?

I personally don't play that many ROBs and I'm pretty interested.

Ochobobo

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1075-1052-5472
I just thought of this, and don't really have my Wii handy to test it out, so I figured I'd ask about it here.

If ROB uses his uthrow below a platform (maybe one of the 2 bottom ones on BF) does it make him jump high enough to land on top of the platform? If so, what other platforms would it work on, and how good of a strategy is this to use in competitive play

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
No go. ROB doesn't land on platforms even if they're low enough to the ground. He always remains on the same level that he starts at.

buenob

Smash Lord
as for the rob vs. mario, I play against "ThatGuy" a lot, and honestly it's in robs favour but not by much... your cape is just as annoying as our random projectiles, and rob gets combo'z a lot... the one thing is that once mario is off the edge, you're gonna be taking a lot of damage getting back (if at all)

ask him for matchup experience, he plays against me and Holy a lot

buenob

Smash Lord
no it doesn't, though there's actually a question I have about this...

when rob is at +100%, his getup attack is pretty slow... does his fuel recover during the animation? also, his roll onto stage, does that start recovering his fuel? for some reason I think they do, but I could have been a bit drunk last night and mis-judged my fuel levels :)

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I also think they do. I've gotten hit after a getup attack or rolling onto the stage, and still had some fuel when I had next to none getting to the stage.

Jorgeme

Smash Cadet
Do we have a frame advantage when rob uses his dash att into someone's shield? It seems to work an awful lot when i dash att into a shield then d-smash (even if it is on wifi). Also would grab be a good option for mix-up instead of d-smash (frame wise)?

buenob

Smash Lord
i dunno, i'd have to say 75% of the time I get grabbed if they shield (honestly)... if you just mindlessly throw it out then yeah you're gonna get pwned, but it's a solid option... to not use it at all would be needlessly limiting yourself... that being said, it should _definitely_ be kept in reserve

if you're at KO percents, and the opponent doesn't have a quick KO move, then it's a safe bet, since worst case scenario you take random damage that doesn't matter, and best case you get combo/KO options

Darth Waffles

Smash Lord
Late night/early morning DI question:

Why am I finding airdodge>side B to be the most effective way to live? I know airdodging lets you do other things like 8 frames earlier than fair does (assuming you do both as soon as possible) but I've never heard of lolsideblol saving us, since we all just say double jump/fast fall a forward air. I wasn't hitting anything on the control stick until after I got the fair/airdodge off, and even then, only to do side b or up b, just to minimize the margin of error. Once I did side B (flying to the right, and after airdodging), I got mixed results from pressing it and holding left, mashing it and holding left, and doing both without anything being held until the move was over. The part where it flings you a little cancels momentum

I started trying when I heard that Zeldas just found a momentum cancel with a reversed neutral B (ROB's doesn't work, predictably enough, and neither does a reversed gyro, gyro shot, or reversed up B>fair). Ninjalink thought it might work for other characters too since you keep your aerial momentum but just travel in the opposite direction. Maybe it's just my bad testing though. Press B and immediately jam the control stick in the opposite direction that ROB is facing.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
i was gonna say maybe you were wavebouncing it

uhhhh that seems odd. i'd test it but my wii stopped reading brawl.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
t0mmy mained pichu in melee lol.

i wish i could've played him myself, if he was the highest placing rob at genesis.

T0MMY

Smash Master
t0mmy mained pichu in melee lol.

i wish i could've played him myself, if he was the highest placing rob at genesis.
Good answer there X^D
Can't say I miss those Melee matchups... makes Meta Knight look like a walk in the park.

Deadweight

Smash Ace
So...
After being planked for 4 minutes by a pikachu I have found a solution to that pesky planking rodent.
On Smashville/Battlefield this will work verrrrrrry well.
1. Charge Gyro on stage.
2. Run off stage
3. Shoot Gyro so that it hits dead center to the edge. The gyro will slowly fall downwards but keeping its full knock back.
4. Pikachu attempts to plank back onto the ledge and gets hit by gyro then gets staged spike by full knockback.
5.???
6. PROFIT!

100% success rate so far.
All 3 times ive tried it have resulted at death at 50+ percents

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Do you mean like, the gyro hits the 45 degree part of the edge, so it bounces down, or what? I'm a bit confused.

Sudai

Stuff here
Probably, because it bounces back on more vertical walls. I've done this to Marths ledge hopping waiting for me to recover a few times. It doesn't really work vs most of the better plankers though, sadly. MK just too fast. DK's Up-B has invincibility in the air (3 frames). Pit can reverse mirror shield or airbox it away with his up-b. I'd rather drop the gyro right on the ledge (so they have to drop off or get pegged when they lose invincibility), run off and mindgame the BAir pre/post-air dodge.

Deadweight

Smash Ace
Yea
Hold on Ill draw a pic..

Red is the gyro coming at the ledge
Blue is the angle it makes when it hits.
The lower box is the area pikachu takes up while planking.
You want the gyro to hit pikachu in the blue zone, cause that is where it will stage spike.

Deadweight

Smash Ace
Also, yea sudai this doesnt work at all vs DK T_T
Mk itl work but the going off stage vs mk isnt smart it puts you in rage of SL
Itl work against pit at most once if they dont see it coming,.

Deadweight

Smash Ace
Pikachu can actually get around that, btw. Quick Attack at 9 and then 7. I've actually seen that situation in my own matches with BadNewsBear.
I know that^
But if you time it so that you launch the gyro as they are leaving the ledge and they dont expect it then theyll get hit,
Plus it gets them off the ledge and possibly dead from a gimp.

Edit wait 9 and then 7?
Thats left and down...you mean 3 and 11?

Sudai

Stuff here
Yeah. I've had it work on Pit players once a match or so. They're used to stopping projectiles with their Up-B though. Never hurts to have more options though. The more mix-ups, the better.

buenob

Smash Lord
i just learned to space my top so that it lands either just on the edge (like last possible pixel, you know the way) or to gently fall off, depending on which I think will work better... it's much safer than trying to run off the edge and shoot back, and it pretty much deals with everything

Top Bottom