• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Q&A!! Read this before asking questions...ALL OF IT!

Lol ok.

-Ahem-
Magnemite, you're kinda cool looking and everything, but you're just dont cut it in being a meme of the ROB boards. Now, Magnezone on the other hand..
Well then, hows... about..... THIS!

f8ck yeah.

Anyways, here's a Q in exchange for an A:

When ledgegaming, what is a better option,

Hang on to ledge, small drop, jump, then shoot a layzah from right below?

Do the above, but insted shoot a Gyro?

-------or-------

Do the above, but instead do a Bair so you pop onto the ledge and get the opponent in the extended hitbox?

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
It does, I just really wouldn't consider it at close close range. I prefer doing it super long range and watching the opponent not use their Up B hoping that it would go over them, but by saving their Up B, they screw themselves over.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
You have to reverse gyro ( Press the opposite direction directly after (I mean like frames after, it's not hard though) you Down B) OR you can do a B reversal which you just tap back right before pressing B.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Of course, you could always to your Side B backwards, but I don't think you'd like taking that risk with better options available.

boo836

Smash Cadet
In a castle, surrounded by a large solid bubble.
I keep hearing that ROB is juggled easily, but can't Robo Burner stop that from happening? If you were to let go of B and use it only when you need to propel yourself away, couldn't that get you away in time to dodge?

Also, using Robo Burner and stopping will still kep you up for a few seconds, allowing you to get under the deep part of Temple and live, when used right.

So, could this be something to try out? Cause I've not heard of such a thing.

buenob

Smash Lord
at the higher, competitive, level of play, rob tends to be a bit too floaty for his own good, and his aerial attacks have just a _bit_ too much startup lag to counteract an aggressive attack... luigi, mario, lucario, falco etc. can pretty much hit and chase relatively safely at low percents, and because ROB doesn't fall fast, every character has some pretty good options against him when he gets hit upwards...

the best option (a lot of the time) is to just jump up away, fly off the level, grab the ledge, and try to get back on from there, because you have more options when approaching from the side compared to above...

also, at the higher levels of play, levels like Temple are not played on... I would suggest you read recommended rulesets for competitive brawl on these forums sooner rather than later, as you may be very surprised as to how "restrictive" it may feel compared to just free-for-lolz with friends

sneakytako

Smash Lord
I heard from Mr Eric last tourny that using b-air as a momentum cancel/DI is bad. How is this true? Doesn't it cancel your forward momentum?

DtJ Glyphmoney

Summoned from a trading card
BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
I've got one o dem questions for you guys.

Alright, so its been known for a long time that holding b during your recovery shortens the distance you can cover. I typically just mash b, but can I get more distance with a different interval of ... well mashing the b button for lack of a better term.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
I've got one o dem questions for you guys.

Alright, so its been known for a long time that holding b during your recovery shortens the distance you can cover. I typically just mash b, but can I get more distance with a different interval of ... well mashing the b button for lack of a better term.
No, not that I know of. Rapidly mashing gets me 5-6 seconds of uninterrupted/cancelled up+b time and gains vertical height faster. Mashing at half that speed renders me roughly the same time, and its harder to gain height.

I heard from Mr Eric last tourny that using b-air as a momentum cancel/DI is bad. How is this true? Doesn't it cancel your forward momentum?
No. It does not cancel your forward momentum in the case of being launched. Being launched 'overrides' (for lack of a better term) the momentum stopping of the move.

Darth Waffles

Smash Lord
Rapidly mashing gets me 5-6 seconds of uninterrupted/cancelled up+b time and gains vertical height faster. Mashing at half that speed renders me roughly the same time, and its harder to gain height.
This. If you want horizontal distance too, it's probably better to hold it just long enough to get you going up a little, then immediately cancel it with fair and float toward the stage rather than use the fuel. It works because the start up "boost" (the circle of smoke) when you hit up-b is what gives you the height anyway

Topic Switch!
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=238293
I love Footstools. Thoughts? Yes/No/lolBrawl/lolBrawl+/emo?

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
Oddly enough, L_cancel (someone I play with on wi-fi) has used *something similar to* that on me before... literally... weeks ago. He needs to start actually posting stuff he finds. lol.

Related note: I have prepared myself for the inevitability that there is a possibility that every char could potentially (enough quantifiers for ya?) infinite/lock ROB due to his animation. I was prepared for that after the ZSS incident.

Edit: Is this mess only "start-able" at the percent they have listed? Or, is it saying that from that percent on, its able to be started?
If its the former... no biggie.

If its the latter... >.<"

sneakytako

Smash Lord

stingers

Smash Obsessed
ROB can't force an air break on Wario, but if the Wario ****s up his break and goes into the air we have a guaranteed Usmash. Don't plan on it happening against the better Warios :/

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
It does happen though, so be prepared in the rare case they hit X or Y by accident when mashing. Also, don't exactly expect many grabs either. XD

Darth Waffles

Smash Lord
Edit: Since nobody answered your question =P (lol)

Grab release- upsmash works if they air break, otherwise just pummel and throw as necessary. Some warios might concentrate so hard on mashing out that they get hit with a ground release-dtilt (trip), regrab (which is fun to do on any character). Most wario issues can be lessened with a heaping dose of ROB bairs

Slow typing for the loss. I'm too slow

Chibo, are you really going to main Wario instead of ROB or is it just for the MK matchup?

Darth Waffles

Smash Lord
I was watching my week's worth of SoCal Smash videos =P Commentary is so addicting.

Yeah, ground release-dtilt isn't guaranteed, but it's fun to get off on people who don't aren't expecting it.

Nothing's guaranteed with ROB- that's the fun of playing him

Oh, and apparently I've been DI'ing wrong for awhile- according to this, airdodge>2nd jump is better than fair>2nd jump. Anyone else do this too?
http://allisbrawl.com/blogpost.aspx?id=4377&gr_i_ni
http://www.geocities.jp/kuso_dwi_lovers/list.html

prince_of_darkness

Smash Cadet
Great job, overswarm :p

I would like to request for some advice.

What is GenerallY The most effecient way to cancel out of up-b whilst recovering, disregarding the ledge?

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Fair is fastest, but Nair is *safer. It just depends on your situation; decide for yourself.

Sudai

Stuff here
Landing is the fastest way to cancel the Up-B, even faster than grabbing a ledge. Though that's unrealistic usually so unless they're up close to you, FAir is the best option. When the opponent is close, just treat it as any other air encounter...except you can't airdodge. :x

prince_of_darkness

Smash Cadet
Fair is fastest, but Nair is *safer. It just depends on your situation; decide for yourself.
Landing is the fastest way to cancel the Up-B, even faster than grabbing a ledge. Though that's unrealistic usually so unless they're up close to you, FAir is the best option. When the opponent is close, just treat it as any other air encounter...except you can't airdodge. :x
I see, Thanks for the advice.

8Bitman

Smash Master
okay i just have one question... all i do with rob iz spam(B & downB) then when they appraoch i Fair or Nair... and if i have my top i might do that slide throw... iz there any newer tricks or anything else that anyone reccomends with rob? i want to get better:ohwell:

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
There's no tactic that we can tell you. ROB isn't a character like MK, Pika, or Falco where that have a certain aspect that really helps them. You need to read your opponent and what you think they'll do and react accordingly.

8Bitman

Smash Master
well okay cuz i have plenty of time to read them while i stand back and spam:p

Top Bottom