• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Q&A!! Read this before asking questions...ALL OF IT!

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul

not only are you a f*ckin moron but learn to read d*ck i said that im asking to make sure, my rob is legit anyway, do me a favor be sure that you only talk to me like this on the threads because in person i'll kick your f*ckin teeth in.
Chill out guys. The internet is no place to be flexing your muscles, nor is it the place to be making threats.

By the way Rookie, what's with your sudden interest in ROB?

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Ok, so TGP May monthlies, I met a guy named HolyChef, an IC player. Every time he played, myself and Camalange would always be yelling "One grab is one stock!" or something along the line of that and be warning his opponent in a sarcastic manner, and he remembered that and posted it in the shoutouts, and I guess he remembered us. LoCal is also our crew and 4 out of 5 of us were there.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Sakurai didn't want anyone to seem more manly than other Kirby characters, and red would be too cool which would take away from his Kirby series players.

Sudai

Stuff here
What exactly do you need explained? I have tooons of Yoshi experience from Bwett and Furbs. As far as I know, they're the best two Yoshi's in the nation..and I don't lose. XD

I have some videos vs Bwett from October, but don't watch those. Me and him have the developed the Metagame much further than those vids. XD

PS: His shield sucks balls so camping is super effective. No shield poking but yeah.

Sudai

Stuff here
If he's egg spamming, camp the eff out of him. ROB outcamps Yoshi soooo hard. If he tries to ledge drop > egg spam, he has to touch the ground after the fourth. Just power shield the eggs from there. It's too easy.

Alternatively, shield through the whole thing and then do an OoS option based on his followup.

buenob

Smash Lord
yeah, yoshi can deal with you if you're not careful... if you're spamming, his rush down beats you and vice versa... the key is to do the same as him... his rush down, pretty much everything is beaten by fair or ftilt (or utilt if he's that close), and his eggs are no match for the top/gyro combination...

jjvirus

Smash Champion
Alright, thanks Sudai. <3

And if you don't mind me asking, what happened to your modship?

EDIT: Also, thanks Buenob. That may be why I struggle with him. I get aggravated with all the eggs being thrown at me, so I rush in...which I'm guessing now is a bad thing XD

stingers

Smash Obsessed
a yoshi challenged me to a money match at herb2 o.o never played a good one before. thanks for postin that sudai. should help me out :chuckle:

CJTHeroofTime

Smash Lord
Hey, I've noticed that one of the worst parts of my game is returning from the ledge. My ledgestall game is fine, but I need help for those moments where I'm behind and need to get up. What are some trixies I can mix in so I don't get wrecked on the ledge?

Also:
his laser is green on my wii :chuckle: i love textures
How do I make it green? I've extracted the effect pac, but I don't know which file to edit nor do I know which part of said file to edit...

stingers

Smash Obsessed
if you got the FitRobotMotion.pac or whatever it's called (I think that's it...it might just be FitRobot, i forget) then just put that straight into the robot folder and you're good.

Getting up on the ledge is a *****, but there are various things you can do to make it easier.

1. On SV or Yoshis, you can stall until the platform or support ghost comes. Most counterpicks also have some sort of stage change that will help you get back from the ledge if you want to stall long enough.
2. Stall until your opponent backs off and lets you on

If you're not gay like I am...

1. Ledgehop Nair will work on most of the cast if you land your Nair right when it's about to finish so it ends pointed in towards the stage, you should push your opponent back and since it's lagless you can just follow up with whatever. Not the safest option because you can be hit out of it and stuff but probably the most reliable one.
2. Ledgehop Up B and kind of fly somewhere safe until you can land, also not very safe because it opens ROB up to be juggled depending on how far you fly but just try your best to return to the ground using standard tactics.
3. If you have a gyro, airdodge on and cancel your airdodge with the gyro and catch them unaware. You'll rarely have a gyro but this is basically guaranteed because nobody will see it coming if you do.
4. Ledgehop Side B is a pretty good mindgame if you're feeling risky...it actually works sometimes lol.
5. Drop down, jump, airdodge basically right next to the ledge pushing up onto the stage so when your airdodge finishes you're on the stage. I hope you know what I'm talking about lol, it's hard to describe but basically when the airdodge finishes the stage will push you upwards onto it kind of. It works on every stage except the ones you can go through like Delfino and Halberd, but if you can't back onto the stage on Delfino or Halberd...God help you.

CJTHeroofTime

Smash Lord
if you got the FitRobotMotion.pac or whatever it's called (I think that's it...it might just be FitRobot, i forget) then just put that straight into the robot folder and you're good.
Oh you downloaded a pre-made effects pack? I'm trying to figure out how to edit effects on my own, but that should do.
4. Ledgehop Side B is a pretty good mindgame if you're feeling risky...it actually works sometimes lol.
Every time I try this (rare, but it happens) I think it works until that very last hitbox (before the ridiculous endlag) cancels all of my opponents lag, leaving me wide open. lulz

stingers

Smash Obsessed
oh like make effects from scratch? that sounds like hell. i have no artistic ability at all, I just download everyone elses textures :laugh:

CJTHeroofTime

Smash Lord
oh like make effects from scratch? that sounds like hell. i have no artistic ability at all, I just download everyone elses textures :laugh:
Not from scratcg, but from the original .pac's. You edit the individual files and then recompress them. Fuuuun stuff lemme tell you.
I have pretty much everything I need, but the problem is the texture files look like amorphous blobs... you can't tell which piece of what goes where. I had heard there's a program that lets you view textures on your computer, and if that exits, that would be awesome. I would be able to experiment and figure out which thing does which.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
I doubt that exists, you'd need to have the part of Brawl's engine that reads stuff like that all in a computer program to be able to read it...

CJTHeroofTime

Smash Lord
I doubt that exists, you'd need to have the part of Brawl's engine that reads stuff like that all in a computer program to be able to read it...
But with all of the crazy stuff people do, I feel like creating something that reads the model and texture is within the realm of possibility. if not I can always dream...

stingers

Smash Obsessed
I'm sure it's possible, I just doubt anyone has taken the time to do it because you can just stick the thing on the sd card and see how the texture looks that way..

Sudai

Stuff here
Yeah. That should be a basic though. Fighting a character with short stubbly range? FTilt/Smash/Air a lot and just keep them away. You literally have no frontal blindspots that Yoshi can abuse when you're grounded and reacting instead of trying to predict. It's a simple truth. Knowing their silly gimmicks helps too. Things like DJC'd Egg Lays and ledge dropped > DJDAir > NAir > Jab that takes shields to 50% if you try to shield and punish. Neither is really devastating but they suck if you don't know about them. The old videos of me and Bwett have some of the DJC'd Egg Lays if you want to see that, that's something those videos are good for. Oh, any slanted ledge means an auto-waveland for Yoshi's DownB. He can slide off and instantly do anything from the air.

He's just a gimmicky low tier with bad range and priority. Avoid the gimmicks, abuse the gayness. It's smash..

Sudai

Stuff here
Oh, I completely missed the testing textures on the computer thing, but it's possible already. Get the Dolphin. It's a Wii/GCN emulator that some newer PCs can run. You can just compress a Brawl ISO on your computer and run it through the emulator fairly quickly.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
back on getting to the ledge, something you'll always recognize as part of my game is dropping down to near the blast zone, and rising with a Uair to the ledge.

buenob

Smash Lord
i find getting to the ledge not too difficult, it's that a proper opponent will make it hard to get on to the stage... the key is to mix it up, and use robs full arsenal of attacks... his get up attack has surprising range (and priority), drop->jump->fair comes out really quick if they're too close, and replace fair with dodge if they're too far... jumping up and then either nair to pressure, or jump again to get over them, or fast falled bair... or even get up with a roll if you need a "side b" mindgames option lol

basically, nothing is a great solution (we don't have a tornado) but again, nothing is terribly bad either... just mix up attacking with trying to get back on solid ground to re-fuel, and be confident enough that just re-fueling is a victory in itself (it really is, especially against falco's lol)...

oh, i find that the gyro is an awesome tool... hop away from the ledge and place the top between your opponent and the ledge, then you have a lot of room to play with because if they do a dash attack to pick it up, you get a free fair and you're back, and if no you have a safety zone (no grabs/melee attacks)

i hope this helps (and that if I'm terribly wrong someone will cut me down lol)

CJTHeroofTime

Smash Lord
Oh, I completely missed the testing textures on the computer thing, but it's possible already. Get the Dolphin. It's a Wii/GCN emulator that some newer PCs can run. You can just compress a Brawl ISO on your computer and run it through the emulator fairly quickly.
would I have to re-compress the ISO everytime I want to test a texture, though?

back on getting to the ledge, something you'll always recognize as part of my game is dropping down to near the blast zone, and rising with a Uair to the ledge.
The only problem is that uses an enormous amount of fuel, which is not the best idea if you are playing a good edgeguarder.

i find getting to the ledge not too difficult, it's that a proper opponent will make it hard to get on to the stage... the key is to mix it up, and use robs full arsenal of attacks... his get up attack has surprising range (and priority), drop->jump->fair comes out really quick if they're too close, and replace fair with dodge if they're too far... jumping up and then either nair to pressure, or jump again to get over them, or fast falled bair... or even get up with a roll if you need a "side b" mindgames option lol

basically, nothing is a great solution (we don't have a tornado) but again, nothing is terribly bad either... just mix up attacking with trying to get back on solid ground to re-fuel, and be confident enough that just re-fueling is a victory in itself (it really is, especially against falco's lol)...

oh, i find that the gyro is an awesome tool... hop away from the ledge and place the top between your opponent and the ledge, then you have a lot of room to play with because if they do a dash attack to pick it up, you get a free fair and you're back, and if no you have a safety zone (no grabs/melee attacks)

i hope this helps (and that if I'm terribly wrong someone will cut me down lol)
I generally try most of those things you have listed. The problem is, if the opponent edgeguards a certain distance, none of those are really applicable. Fair gets shieldgrabbed, nair can be avoided, or even attacked during startup, get-up attack is isn't long enough, roll...lol. You need the opponent to make a mistake sometimes. I've been using a hovering nair more often lately, as you can keep it at a height where it won't get shieldgrabbed and it punishes spot-dodges. Oh well.

Oh and the gyro is awesome... unless it's falco. **** kick-reflector...

TEECO

Smash Ace
I had a match with a falco once where he stole my gyro and camped on ledges and when I approaced, he'd side B and continue. It felt so good Fair WOPing him to hell.

For getting back on the ledge/stage... Fly over opponent and wavebounce your gyro charge when you're right above him/her (this is the mindgame). Dsmash if you're on the ground, Bair if you're in the air. Yes I know it can be punished/avoided, but so can every other option.

If they think you'll wavebounce the charge next time, don't wavebounce it.

edit: random pkmn :012:

Top Bottom