• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Q&A!! Read this before asking questions...ALL OF IT!

buenob

Smash Lord
1) spacing
2) spacing
3) mixups

lolz... that electrically (magnetically?) combined pokemon looks armour a female character would wear in a fighting game... boobs ftw

stingers

Smash Obsessed
thank god NC has no DDDs :laugh:

but then when OoS comes to NC, I get ***** by them. :(

I guess I'm kind of in your boat lol.I'm gonna study that matchup so hard...

Sudai

Stuff here
Stingers, just play MK vs D3 and intelligently tornado spam. That's a really bad idea, but it works if you just want to win. XD

Otherwise, just learn your spacing and stay close to the ground if you're not ledge camping. I know it sounds backwards to stay close to the ground against a grab orientated character, but trust me. It makes it easier to spam BAir/FTilts. These are really your safest options but you have to space them super well constantly to make the match-up enjoyable as ROB.

jjvirus

Smash Champion
I thought I could fight a D3 no problem. I had three MMs set up with D3 vs ROB yesterday, and was confident even without Jungle japes, which is what I CP on D3 if its legal. I won 2-0 vs one (Tantalus) but then lost 0-2 to another (EEvisu), and 2-1 to another one I know shouldn't have lost to because I 2 stocked him first game (Taj/HMS).

Falco is another matchup I can't do...as well as Wario. ROB sucks. I suck. Brawl sucks. wah wah wah john john john

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I thought I could fight a D3 no problem. I had three MMs set up with D3 vs ROB yesterday, and was confident even without Jungle japes, which is what I CP on D3 if its legal. I won 2-0 vs one (Tantalus) but then lost 0-2 to another (EEvisu), and 2-1 to another one I know shouldn't have lost to because I 2 stocked him first game (Taj/HMS).

Falco is another matchup I can't do...as well as Wario. ROB sucks. I suck. Brawl sucks. wah wah wah john john john
Then learn to get around it? Choosing a better character just sets you behind compared to all the other long time mains.

jjvirus

Smash Champion
If I've been "trying to get around it" for the past few months, and aven't seen any change in the results, what would be the best thing for me to do? Try another character and see what I can accomplish with that. If that doesn't work I'll trying something else.

Wolydarg

Smash Journeyman
I, too, hate the Dedede matchup. Camping pretty much the entire match.

You won't understand HOW satisfying it was to pick up IC's and CG D3 back.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
DDD matchup does require a lot of patience but it is very satisfying watching your opponent get frustrated after being severely outcamped and failing to approach multiple times.

:)
This.

It isn't hard, it just requires no balls and patience.

jjvirus

Smash Champion
DDD matchup does require a lot of patience but it is very satisfying watching your opponent get frustrated after being severely outcamped and failing to approach multiple times.

:)
I'm only satisfied if I win, they'll get frustrated most likely if they lose anyway.

Vorguen

Smash Champion
Speaking of which, I made my opponent rage quit for the first time in a legitimate tournament match yesterday.

lol

It was my first round, and I guess he was new to competitive Brawl, and he was okay, but I was camping him to hell and back and he didn't know what the heck to do, lol. After getting to his last stock he just jumped off and SD'd and was like "F' YOU". lol

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
You're should've Dtilt camped instead. Or even better, Smash camp until they're stale, then tilt to kill him. That freaks people out.

Sudai

Stuff here
I've FSmash camped and killed with an FTilt before on a scrub. That was fun.

But yeah, ROB takes patience to play. If you guys don't have it, I think you might've chosen the wrong main? : x

10:081:

Vorguen

Smash Champion
That DDD in the video really wasn't good tbqh :/
I know, he is a Diddy Kong main, that match was a random screw-around friendly that got recorded for some reason. Even my ROB was bad compared to what it is now.

The whole point is that it illustrates well what ROB should be doing to fight a DDD, whether or not that DDD had any ROB experience or was a good DDD or not.

Anyway, Andilex is a great Diddy Kong, in his defence.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
That really isn't how you fight DDD :/

Sure, it's how you fight DDD if DDD just stays in the air the whole time flingin' out D's at ya the whole time. But if the DDD stays grounded like he should, keeps off the B button just a tad, and learns how to powershield (like every good DDD will do), then you're going to find your playstyle against em in a heap of trouble.

Vorguen

Smash Champion
Haha I've played those as well. Well nevermind, I just don't have any good DDD videos of myself. But I understand what you mean. Although it is more about the pressure of the projectiles than anything. We all know if you try to approach DDD you lose a stock. :p

Vex Kasrani

Smash Master
That really isn't how you fight DDD :/

Sure, it's how you fight DDD if DDD just stays in the air the whole time flingin' out D's at ya the whole time. But if the DDD stays grounded like he should, keeps off the B button just a tad, and learns how to powershield (like every good DDD will do), then you're going to find your playstyle against em in a heap of trouble.
Yup, if the DDD consistently power shields your stuff like he should and just rush's you down what your doing wont work.

:083:

Sudai

Stuff here
I mean..it's basically perfect against everyone but MK. Everyone has a spot where it's easy for ROB to fly back on stage from so just fly off to those spots and you don't get juggled. Woo.

ZOM~B

Smash Journeyman
On the contrary it does work on Marth. Marth won't follow you offstage like Meta Knight will, nor can he reach as high up as Meta Knight to catch you either.
The ledge/low off stage are the two last places I want to be against a good marf, personally.

Top Bottom