• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ROB Q&A!! Read this before asking questions...ALL OF IT!

buenob

Smash Lord
lol @ first statement...

usually when you hit a button, your character does whatever action is associated with it... ie hitting your jab button makes your character do a jab... when you're in the middle of a move, you can't do anything, so if you're in the middle of a nair, and you hit jab, jump, or anything, nothing will happen...

buffering is when you hit another input near the end of a move, the game "buffers" this movement and performs the action the very first frame possible... this is basically a technique for getting moves out as quickly as possible, and makes it less twitch-gaming (by giving you a longer input time for the best results)

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Buffering is inputing the command for an action before you will actually do it. Like if you're being chain grabbed by DDD, you can buffer a jab so that if is late at all, you will intercept him with a jab and end the lock.

b1anK

Smash Apprentice
Buffering is inputing the command for an action before you will actually do it. Like if you're being chain grabbed by DDD, you can buffer a jab so that if is late at all, you will intercept him with a jab and end the lock.

Exactly how is this done? Cause i know pikachu can chain grab lots of characters with this

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Try this in practice mode. Just and do a Fair, but input another Fair shortly before the move ends and you'll do it anyway. If you keep doing it in this manner, you'll be attacking as quickly as possible.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
it's not even an infinite...

it's like 20 to 100. which is awesome, obviously, but it's not an infinite...can you stop calling it that?

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Point is, it sucks. However it's avoidable by playing smart. How do you think we play against DDD's? We play gay.

CJTHeroofTime

Smash Lord
Buffering is like wi-fi, you just hit the button earlier than you want the move to come out.

Joking aside, has the Skype conference happened yet? I've been MIA for a while...

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
it's not even an infinite...

it's like 20 to 100. which is awesome, obviously, but it's not an infinite...can you stop calling it that?

combo confirmed....
.... yep
(it's name is the Savior Combo... not the Savior Infinite)
I think I have renamed anything that calls it an infinite except for the thread title. Everything in the thread is called a combo.

*20 to death

stingers

Smash Obsessed
it only works until...80? iirc and then you have a ftilt to usmash which isn't even guaranteed afaik because you can SDI away from that

stingers

Smash Obsessed
If you say so...

Since the frame data points against it too...

And afaik you havent even gotten a video of it being done on a human actively trying to SDI out of it...

buenob

Smash Lord
it's a cool probability... even if this holds, I think rob still won't "lose" to sheik players... there's no way im' going to die on a non-cp stage from an usmash at ~80%..

Fear The Force

Smash Cadet
Good Secondaries For R.O.B.

What are some good secondaries for R.O.B.? Please post whom you think and how they take care of his weaknesses.

Mag!c

Smash Apprentice
I think Marth is an excellent secondary. He has a strong matchup against Mr. Game and Watch, Lucario (which I find can be frustrating), and Wario. Plus, having a little more kill potential and the Dancing Blades is a fun change of pace.

Deadweight

Smash Ace
sigh.....
You don't have to pick up MK and drop rob...
Falco is a really good secondary.
He does well vs DDD, MK, Fox, Zss, etc.
Imo Marf isnt as good as a secondary as he still has a tough fight vs DDD and MK

Fear The Force

Smash Cadet
I'm not dropping Robot, but I do know how to use metaknight very well...he's one of my secondaries. I'll be switching back and forth between the two. Falco seems like a great idea, thanks. :)

Mr.E

Smash Lord
MK does well against every character that every character has problems with. And if you're going to use MK anyway, drop every character .MK is better.
10fixes... Alright, it's only two.

As for those of us not switching to MK main *cough*, Snake is probably the best secondary but most anyone works that you're comfortable with and doesn't have a blatantly horrible match-up against MK or ZSS. (Or any of your other personal trouble opponents.)

jjvirus

Smash Champion
Read my sig before picking up Mk.

Just go Snake, he goes even with Mk, beats GnW, Mario, Peach, ect. It works :)

EDIT: WHY WON'T MY SIG SHOW?!?!?!

Ruse

Fox
Read my sig before picking up Mk.

Just go Snake, he goes even with Mk, beats GnW, Mario, Peach, ect. It works :)

EDIT: WHY WON'T MY SIG SHOW?!?!?!
Beat me to it.

Snake gets ***** by D3 and Oli, though, who I personally don't like using ROB against very much, and he could do better against Falco, who's also obnoxious to fight with ROB.

GW and Snake both have their disadvantages. According to the ratios of official match-ups, though, GW would be the best, but he would not cover MK (40-60 instead of 30-70, though).

Wario actually might be decent, too. Anyone with a lot of evenish match-ups.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
Let's get a list of any matchups ROB might arguably lose in:

Mario, Peach, Wario, Fox, MK, DDD, ZSS, Olimar, GaW

It looks like...Diddy does pretty well.
Snake does too.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Besides everyones best secondary MK, Diddy is the best secondary for ROB guaranteed.

The only really troublesome matchups for ROB are DDD, GaW, MK, ZSS. And guess who beats all of them (except not MK but being one of the best chars to suse on him)!?

Diddy Kong!

noodles

Smash Champion
wario was really hard for me when i played rob. sadly he's hard for me as mk too. but i did alot better as snake for some reason

stingers

Smash Obsessed
i actually don't have problems with wario. at all. lol.

i don't have problems with gaw either, or peach, but those are matchups that rob arguably loses in.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Same for me with DDD, as long as it isn't on Siege or Delfino. Then I have to play extra gay and even then it's super hard.

Ruse

Fox
Besides everyones best secondary MK, Diddy is the best secondary for ROB guaranteed.

The only really troublesome matchups for ROB are DDD, GaW, MK, ZSS. And guess who beats all of them (except not MK but being one of the best chars to suse on him)!?

Diddy Kong!
I really don't like Diddy vs MK, but that could just be me.

I feel like Snake, Kirby, and Wario are all pretty even with him, though... one of those three also happens to be a bada** alt for ROB ;).

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I don't think it ever happened, but I might be wrong.

On another note, does ROB's Dsmash have invincibility frames? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orFm1QeoJdA

Watch at 6:04 when Samus Zairs ROB, but he isn't hurt while Dsmashing. Can someone explain this. My thoughts are that it either:
1. Has invincibility frames
2. Outprioritizes Samus's Zair

The only problem is that the Zair hit ROB's Mid/Upper torso, where there isn't a hitbox.

Top Bottom