• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Recovery Tier List

Aves

Smash Apprentice
I'm just kind of curious to see what characters all of you think have the best recovery.
A sort of tier list for recoveries. That would be taking everything into account, anything that a character has to work with. Such as Links bomb's, Peach's float, etc. You can also take in to account how sometimes Peach doesn't have her float, or Samus her grapple. Stuff like that. Consider:
1)Vertical Distance
2)Horizontal Distance
3)Dificulty to edge guard
4)And anything else

Jiggs would probably be the obvious number 1, but who else? What do you guys think?

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
there are a few of these threads. before people fail pikachu's recovery is longer than pichu's. But pichu has more options and within human reaction time pichu's is overall safer and MAYBe longer because pichu can do the double up-b within human reaction time. But pikachu has more lnding lag but a sweetspot like 3 times larger.

oh also pichu doesn't fall as fast fair beats knees and junk, smash side-B for both to max oout side-B, jolts are amazing. And i think that's about it besides the fact pichu is a little harder to hit.

pikachu
pichu I think. there' more but I don't want to go into details :p

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
1. Jigglypuff
2. Peach
3. Samus
25. Yoshi
26. Roy
After playing a considerable amount of roy and marth, I've determined that roy's recovery is more useful than marth's. Roy isn't an auto kill off stage especially since his upB hits multiple times, powershielding the edge won't kill him. IMO kirby and ness have the worst recoveries. And then there are the obvious ones (bowser/dk). Plus can't forget falcon/ganon. Yoshi's is pretty awful.

Rappster

Smash Ace
Yeah, Roy, then Yoshi, then Doc.
i think yoshi > doc

edit
After playing a considerable amount of roy and marth, I've determined that roy's recovery is more useful than marth's. Roy isn't an auto kill off stage especially since his upB hits multiple times, powershielding the edge won't kill him. IMO kirby and ness have the worst recoveries. And then there are the obvious ones (bowser/dk). Plus can't forget falcon/ganon. Yoshi's is pretty awful.
watch this video from 2:20 to 2:50. its older than moses, but whatever.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Dq244s9hYs&feature=related#t=2m20s

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Basically Jigglypuff has her own tier and then Peach and the other Pokemon are high tier and then people can argue Samus/Link/dual Ice Climbers and some other crap for being high tier or mid tier. Fox is like high, Falco should be mid but Falco players will complain it down to like low, and then Sheik's is low but people will complain it up to mid.

Marth is a gray area.

Falcon's is awful and so is Ganon's. Probably low for both of them, maybe bottom. Doc and Mario are pretty bad but people will complain them up or down depending on what flavour of the month it is.

Worst recovery is Ness. Then Roy. Then... I don't know. Maybe Solo Popo.

LLDL

Smash Hero
Falco doesn't need recovery, he does what he wants with you and you can't do anything about it.

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
lol. they made one a long time ago and people made numerous threads like this one.

all i remember is marth was 16 i think and doc was 25 with roy at 26

magus 420

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
in terms of straight distance, puff wins by far. in terms of safety and chance to get back to the stage/edge, puff wins by far.

after that, being able to defend yourself off the stage would definitely put falcon and roy in last place then ganon.

overall, samus' recovery goes far and takes a while, but i feel its highly overrated because once you learn how to stop her grapple recovery (go out there and hit her when she airdodges) you can beat her upb in a lot of ways such as grabbing the edge and hitting her when she upbs high/edgehogging the sweetspot or simply standing on stage and hitting her upb with something that hits low (fox/falco dsmash, marth fsmash, dtilt, dair, ect).

Something that makes sheik and marth's recoveries better in my opinion is that their fairs can help clear the edge for them to upb sweetspot to, as well as various stalls (jumping, wall jumping and multiple stages of upb for sheik, multiple sideb and upb timings for marth).

My tier list, in which i assume that you will be recovering from the corner in any situation you can't simply grab the edge with ur jump.

god tier: puff
top tier: peach, mewtwo, pikachu/pichu
high tier: samus, ICs (synced)
upper tier: marth, sheik, falco
mid tier: fox, link, zelda
low tier: dk, yl, mario, gnw, doc
dont care enough to finish the list, i hope you realize that everyone else sucks balls

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
lol did you all forget about ness's recovery i mean come on lol. Way worse than roy's recovery.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Ness' double jump and slower falling speed make his recovery better than Roy's.
With Roy sometimes I don't even notice that my opponent is trying to recover, it's that pitiful.

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
sveet, why would you put falco above fox? fox has double the distance, slower falling speed, and is less gimpable due to the firefox startup hitbox.

im just wondering about your opinion.

BEES

Smash Lord
the only things going for falco are

-phantasm meteor
-phantasm startup time, which might be slightly less
-jump height

BEES

Smash Lord
-easier to sweetspot from closer distances
-faster falling speed allows him to firebird above the ledge and drop down with less time to punish.

Keep in mind at the end of the day, Fox's recovery is only slightly better than Falco's.

otg

Smash Master
Basically Jigglypuff has her own tier and then Peach and the other Pokemon are high tier and then people can argue Samus/Link/dual Ice Climbers and some other crap for being high tier or mid tier. Fox is like high, Falco should be mid but Falco players will complain it down to like low, and then Sheik's is low but people will complain it up to mid.

Marth is a gray area.

Falcon's is awful and so is Ganon's. Probably low for both of them, maybe bottom. Doc and Mario are pretty bad but people will complain them up or down depending on what flavour of the month it is.

Worst recovery is Ness. Then Roy. Then... I don't know. Maybe Solo Popo.
I agree with all of this.

To all the people who say that Yoshi's recovery is really bad, why? I thought he had jugg frames and what not.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Ness can't defend himself offstage because if he does an aerial when he double jumps he plummets to his death and if he uses his Up+B projectile to hit someone he also plummets to his death. And he spends about half a second defenseless, twisting around, waiting for the PK thunder to hit him before he can use an active hitbox to defend himself.

Ness is definitely worse at defending himself than Falcon and Ganon and whatever.

Also, Ness's slow, big, swingy double jump is HORRIBLE for coming back from below. He misses out on the ability to sweetspot the edge with his jump. That sucks a lot more than most of you seem to realize.

The only character who MIGHT have a worse recovery is Roy. Even then I don't think so just because Roy can DJ sweetspot as an option vs some gimping strats and force them to do 50/50s and whatever, and his Up+B Fire can actually be a nuisance if the opponent doesn't have the ability to grab the edge immediately against him.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
-easier to sweetspot from closer distances
-faster falling speed allows him to firebird above the ledge and drop down with less time to punish.

Keep in mind at the end of the day, Fox's recovery is only slightly better than Falco's.
the ease at which a player can do something is irrelevant. it's whether or not the character has the ability.
Fox has a much higher downward velocity acceleration, which is what matters in this case.

Phantasm meteor is also irrelevant, since in reality it's actually more likely to be punished if it hits, since Fox's sends up <_<

also yeah I guess Ness sucks. Forgot about him

23. Falco
24. Doc
25. Ness
26. Roy
27. West Coast

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
kaostar your statement is useless unless you can come up with a character whose recovery is worse, and if disagreed with, you must be able to defend your view logically.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
kaostar your statement is useless unless you can come up with a character whose recovery is worse, and if disagreed with, you must be able to defend your view logically.
24. Falco
25. Doc
26. Roy
what a ****ing nube! bess come correct next time.

looking over the entire 20 odd posts lol. this was your contribution.

I made a statement that was just an opinion. I was looking for some reason for falco having the 3rd worst recovery in ssbm. but my statement is useless? (compared to yours lol) hmm bias son. must be that new modship going straight to da head lol.

you didn't support your original statement at all, logically I would be a fool for listening to you.

Sion

Island of Horizon
i don't know how many roys you guys play, but i play one very frequently.

roy's recovery is not as bad as people say

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
You don't even have to attack Ness to edgeguard him, just be in his vicinity and he can't do ****

Also, every character except for Roy can jump out and kill Falco at basically any percent if the Falco is off the stage and below the ledge level without a jump. It's that bad for both of them.

TheGoat

Smash Ace
i don't know how many roys you guys play, but i play one very frequently.

roy's recovery is not as bad as people say
Yeah, would somebody mind explaining why roy's recovery is so bad? My friend was telling me this but I doubted him...I always assumed it was very similar to marth's recovery; he has very decent vertical and horizontal recovery, and his up b is good for sweetspotting. Thanks to whoever can answer this.

But yeah...recovery tier list, sounds good. Someone should make a comprehensive one. I guess falco's really isn't that bad in retrospect, and I guess falcon/ganon's recovery sucks because it's so easy to edgeguard. It's a shame considering how their downb's give them such great recovery range.

Smash Master
Falco covers a lot of vertical distance with his double jump + Up-B. He also can recover at several different angles, unlike half the cast. He's also got two different recovery moves, adding to his mixup game. It's true he doesn't recover very far, but he's difficult to edgeguard because you have to cover so many options.

Roy's recovery sucks because it's predictable and he falls fast and he's not very mobile in the air and he can't defend himself while recovering.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
You don't even have to attack Ness to edgeguard him, just be in his vicinity and he can't do ****

Also, every character except for Roy can jump out and kill Falco at basically any percent if the Falco is off the stage and below the ledge level without a jump. It's that bad for both of them.
how is that different from dk, bowser, falcon, ganon, sheik, yoshi (lol no jump in this scenario haha), sopopo, etc.

I know falco is a ff and has a slow recovery. but that is just a good way to kill people lol.

Sion

Island of Horizon

i don't have videos to back this up, but roy has a few options against falco off the edge/below the stage

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
I honestly think Jigglypuff and Mewtwo have the best 2 recoveries <_<

samus is too easy to edge guard its like I'm in a bomb lagging forever please come hit me

peach is 3rd imo

anyone wanna money match my mewtwo on Yoshi 64?

b tw Marth has one of the worst recoveries if you know how to edge guard him sadly :/

Sheik's is pretty bad too

of the top tiers, Jiggs is by far the best, then Peach, Fox, Falco, Sheik, Marth, and Falcon in that exact order
(Falco can be tricky and has way more ways to be clever than Sheik/Marth do at high level. Generic dumb falco would bee last on this list)

if you guys think Falco is that low..... kill yourself. There are SO many ways he can recover in tricky ways. Everyone's too obvious and generic though

TheGoat

Smash Ace
Falco covers a lot of vertical distance with his double jump + Up-B. He also can recover at several different angles, unlike half the cast. He's also got two different recovery moves, adding to his mixup game. It's true he doesn't recover very far, but he's difficult to edgeguard because you have to cover so many options.

Roy's recovery sucks because it's predictable and he falls fast and he's not very mobile in the air and he can't defend himself while recovering.

Thank you.

But isn't marth's recovery just as predictable?
And I see about the fast falling thing-I take it marth is able to use aerial attacks while he is recovery to help defend himself-whereas if roy did this, he would just fall down too fast and wouldn't be able to recover.

TheGoat

Smash Ace
roy falls too fast and doesn't go very far, his recovery is awful. He can't even stall in the air, you can just do a systematic timing to edge hog when you think he's close. gg roy =(
I see. When exactly do you edgehog though? Whenever I attempt to do it, roy just uses his up-b and hits me, and then gets back on the stage. My friend just gets low enough below the stage to sweetspot.

Top Bottom